In lighter news, the Giants coach is a massive a$$hole and the Giants are doomed

13 minutes ago, Larz said:

As long as he is consistent and this applies to the players evenly this is no big deal 

what kind of snowflake would have a problem with this?

Is that the type of person you want to work for?  

Not me.  And I am a pretty quiet and hard working guy.  

10 minutes ago, KRL said:

These Belichick clones just don't get it.  You have to have SB wins to act like a jerk.

Just being in the big chair doesn't excuse you acting like a moron

Exactly, see Coughlin with the giants.  His act was met with scorn by the team/players when he 1st got there, then he toned down just a wee bit, they won and all of a sudden every one loved his no nonsense style.

• Upvote 1

Someone needs to tell him he's the head coach now. He's not only working with gunners and punters at the end of rosters anymore. The message can be the same to all 53, but the communication of the message needs to change depending on where it's going. Otherwise, his pretentious tough guy act is going to wear thin real quick, and if he's not producing real results on the field, he's going to be a very quick 1 and done HC in the league. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

His heart is in the right place, and I agree with what he's saying. Having said that, there's a more productive way to do that without making yourself out to be that boss not one would would call a paramedic for. Not being on the call maybe the tone was different but he seemed like the Ying to Rex's Yang which won't work either.

So a rookie is asked what is goals are being drafting to your team. He is going to be reprimanded if he says he is there to go win a super bowl? Of if he is asked where he think he falls in his position group being draft. He will be reprimanded if he claims he is the best at his position? 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

A sustainable leadership is an accepted leadership. you can make people fear you, but in long-run, you need them to respect you. its a two-way street. even authoritarian leaders put on a friendly face.

You cannot inspire genuine respect through fear. You have to be competent - first and foremost - and be honest in your communication. We see this in all the good coaches.

belichick wins the respect of his players by promising them that he'll make them the best players they can be, and by NEVER taking the credit for their success. That's how you get guys to buy-in.

• Sympathy 1

Does anyone think his tough guy routine would be able to bully a certain SS from boasting and self promoting on social media?

The tough guy BS coming from a special teams coordinator and wide receivers coach will not fly with today's veteran players who understand that the NFL is a business and that they are basically independent contractors.

19 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

So a rookie is asked what is goals are being drafting to your team. He is going to be reprimanded if he says he is there to go win a super bowl? Of if he is asked where he think he falls in his position group being draft. He will be reprimanded if he claims he is the best at his position? 

You shouldn't presume to put words in peoples mouths. I think it's a good idea to let new hires know what they should and shouldn't be doing as employees. As a rookie now about to deal with the media, who is going to try and manipulate stories out of players, I think it helps to let a player know how to answer generically so as to not generate headlines that may affect the player and the team. I also said there is a way to do it without being a dick which would probably include reprimanding a kid who is enthusiastic on draft day. But yeah, "check you ego at the door, it isn't all about you, it's about the team" would be a message they would be clear about prior to be being drafted by my team if I were a coach. Headcase egomaniacs need not apply. Saying I'm here to help the team win a super bowl isn't a bad thing, but even then with today's media you'll see a reporter take that and make a negative story out of it. You ever watch Sam's interviews? He's very generic in his answers because he was taught to do so in college for a reason.

35 minutes ago, Larz said:

As long as he is consistent and this applies to the players evenly this is no big deal 

what kind of snowflake would have a problem with this?

Hey, as long as the Giants recognize they're going to lose a lot of talent to free agency with a coach like this, have at it.  

They'd better hope Gettleman's drafts are perfect.  

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Judge said this to me, I’d have demanded a trade right there on the phone. That’s not hard coaching, that’s just being a condescending control freak. You want to scream at a player for being lazy or picking up a bad penalty? Fine. But you’re demanding that an adult male thank you for the opportunity to play for your team? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yooooooouuuuuuuuuuuu. I cannot wait for this guy to get into a camp and pull this sh*t with vested veterans. 

Maybe he is used to making this call for the Patiorts after a super bowl season instead of for the Giant after going 4-12.  Maybe he thinks Thomas should be grateful for all the rushing opportunities will get scooping up Danny Dimes fumbles.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hey, as long as the Giants recognize they're going to lose a lot of talent to free agency with a coach like this, have at it.  

They'd better hope Gettleman's drafts are perfect.  

Gettleman's a dick too.  Famous for it.  Players are going to be running to the Maras if they want to find a friendly face.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Yea that’s gonna alienate professional athletes. 

Might work on rookies but sooner or later if your team hates going to work everyday... 

Why can’t every coach be like Jurgen Klopp? :)

Pre- Coughlin. Has this guy ever been a head coach? He’s already blasting rooks he’s never met. ‘You don’t know how to be a pro’. LOL You never been a head coach in the NFL. You got to earn respect. 

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

He seems to do a lot of talking for a guy that doesn’t like a lot of talking.  

There is a strong undercurrent of insecurity here. The basic message is okay, but I'm not sure about the delivery. And yes, he does indeed say the same thing about seven times as if he's convincing himself. I have a feeling if things don't go well for the Giants early, you will be hearing rumblings of locker room mutiny. 

Meanwhile anybody who thinks this old school retro act is a good thing should be absolutely fine with Gase, who's a tepid teapot in comparison. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Yea that’s gonna alienate professional athletes. 

Might work on rookies but sooner or later if your team hates going to work everyday... 

Why can’t every coach be like Jurgen Klopp? :)

Jurgen Klopp (especially if he takes over the German national team and wins a World Cup) is gonna be known as the greatest modern coach. He’ll be looked at as the guy who innovated coaching for the next generation. Tactical prowess with an understanding of team building and culture creation that allows for individual expression. Books will be written trying to understand him and the implementation of his style.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

This style may have officially met its grave in errr, bout 2005. The Belichick Patriots mantra was a last of the Mohicans, anomaly. It also took cheating and some ridiculous referee help to get them there. 

I actually don’t mind and grew up with this style but it’s dead and doesn’t/ won’t work anymore imo. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

I kind of like it.  Set the tone early.  Is their  audio of the convo?  I think we read it like he's a general and barking orders but it could have been soft toned while setting up the team comes first mentality.  

that was my thought. the "tone" could've been very different in the actual call.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Pre- Coughlin. Has this guy ever been a head coach? He’s already blasting rooks he’s never met. ‘You don’t know how to be a pro’. LOL You never been a head coach in the NFL. You got to earn respect. 

He also doesn't know how to be a pro, either, because his playing career ended at Mississippi State.  And he was a QB who didn't play a single snap there, from what I could find.

• Upvote 1

If he gets them a Superbowl like Tom Coughlin then he will be a hero and if not he will likely lose the team and the fan base at some point.

We have all seen this story before.  For now it seems consistent with the "we are not going to let the lunatics run the asylum" post OBJ mind set.

What rookie has gone on stage or whatever and said he’s gonna take over the league?!?

The most I’ve heard is they’ll have a chip on their shoulder. 

He’s making things up to sound tougher then he needs to be. IMO He better hope he wins fast cuz I don’t see players loving that kinda attitude. Will wear thin quick. 

• Upvote 2