Lawrence Cager Is Loaded With Potential

10 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

this is Stephen Hill de ja vu. A big guy from Georgia (Tech).... but at least not a high draft pick.

You people sure love your Stephen Hill comparisons.  Apparently for many around here if you are over 6’2” and a WR you are automatically compared to Stephen Hill.   Come on people, do your homework and come up with some real comps.   

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

You people sure love your Stephen Hill comparisons.  Apparently for many around here if you are over 6’2” and a WR you are automatically compared to Stephen Hill.   Come on people, do your homework and come up with some real comps.   

People are way too lazy

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2020 at 1:48 PM, jetstream23 said:

Many of us wanted that "size" guy somewhere late in the Draft.  I thought it would be Donovan Peoples-Jones or AGG.....Cager looks like a nice consolation prize and not having to use a pick on him is even better.

I thought the Jets would take Devin Duvernay in the 4th round, but traded back for more late picks. Cager seems like a "potential" steal as UFA.

On 4/28/2020 at 1:21 PM, Jetscode1 said:

This guy liked him.  May need to red shirt him.

He reminds him of Mike Evans?  Seriously...what you smoking?

He is a big dude that is a long shot in making the roster, maybe practice squad.  He has got a long ways to go.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, adb280z said:

To be honest, it's not worth much if that's all he brings to the table.  

He was the 5 th wide receiver pick picked off practice squad   Did great a punt returns and in his limited reps at the end of the year

what exactly would he have to do to make you happy?

On 4/28/2020 at 1:04 PM, JiF said:

In addition to his injuries, he's never played with a real Qb either, so that kind of hurts when you're a WR. 

On 4/29/2020 at 12:32 PM, sec101row23 said:

Thems fighting words for Georgia fans.   

Not really.  I saw Fromm for what he was.  Good college QB managing an offense with great RBs, great OL, NFL caliber WRs.  But once he had to win a game with his arm he couldn't.  Fromm was the ultmate college game manager.  And NFL scouts saw that.  It was laughable when people used to speculate he would be a first rounder.

On 4/29/2020 at 1:32 PM, sec101row23 said:

Thems fighting words for Georgia fans.   

28 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not really.  I saw Fromm for what he was.  Good college QB managing an offense with great RBs, great OL, NFL caliber WRs.  But once he had to win a game with his arm he couldn't.  Fromm was the ultmate college game manager.  And NFL scouts saw that.  It was laughable when people used to speculate he would be a first rounder.

lol - Lith and have talked about this before, we both feel the same way about Fromm.  I thought it was foolish to pass on both Eason (I think Lith disagrees there) and Fields but I will say this; I'm gald he's gone.  He just had the Gators # and it was in the most unimpressive fashion like ever.  

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

He was the 5 th wide receiver pick picked off practice squad   Did great a punt returns and in his limited reps at the end of the year

what exactly would he have to do to make you happy?

Be productive in 2020.  His 2019 isn't enough, the Jets had 21 punt returns all year, just over 1 a game.  If that's all a guy can do he's not really of much value and so far he hasn't shown that he's an NFL receiver.  He couldn't break into the worst WR core in the NFL so gotta admit he's not someone I consider much of an asset for 2020.

13 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Stephen Hill ran a 4.3 40 but had almost no college production. Drafted in the second round and not nearly as tall. But I guess they did go to the same school.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Then it's shocking that they chose Hill in the second round. what the hell were they thinking?

6 hours ago, adb280z said:

Be productive in 2020.  His 2019 isn't enough, the Jets had 21 punt returns all year, just over 1 a game.  If that's all a guy can do he's not really of much value and so far he hasn't shown that he's an NFL receiver.  He couldn't break into the worst WR core in the NFL so gotta admit he's not someone I consider much of an asset for 2020.

The Jets fielded over 80 opponents punts last year.   He returned 21 for yardage.  The rest were caught without fumbling or misjudging the ball and losing more yardage.  Dismissing the ones he didn’t return understates his value.

Hopefully he grows into the receiver role.  If not, his shelf life will be short.

• Upvote 2

On 4/29/2020 at 5:35 PM, JoePNYJ1 said:

He reminds him of Mike Evans?  Seriously...what you smoking?

He is a big dude that is a long shot in making the roster, maybe practice squad.  He has got a long ways to go.

I don't see it as such of a long shot.

Enunwa is more than likely going to be a non-factor on this team, if he is even still on the team.

Berrios is a returner and basicly slot depth.

V Smith will probably be a depth piece.

Doctson is a question mark but might find rotational work.

Mims will play, and probably play more as the season progresses.

Perriman is basicly a question mark, but should get alot of reps to replace Robby.

Crowder will play the slot.

To think Cager can't crack the rotation here is kind of a reach actually. His health is what will define his role here. 

Unless D Thomas gets brought back, Cager has a good shot at reps this season.

1 hour ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Enunwa is more than likely going to be a non-factor on this team, if he is even still on the team.

Perriman is basicly a question mark, but should get alot of reps to replace Robby.

To think Cager can't crack the rotation here is kind of a reach actually. His health is what will define his role here. 

Well I hope you are right...if he has similar success to Robby it would be a big win.  Doctson could be a sleeper here, his career has been hampered by injury and if he could stay healthy we might have our WR2.

But yes you are correct, there are a lot of question marks.

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2020 at 12:50 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Agree on Chrebet, but Berrios was a 2018 6th rounder from that Pats that spent his rookie year on IR.  We picked him up off waivers last year. 

wasn't steve largent undrafted?  maybe these guys are long shots but not everyone can go to a big time college program.  the draft is 7 rounds and each season teams need to change about 10 or so players.  so where do these extra players come from?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, rangerous said:

wasn't steve largent undrafted?  maybe these guys are long shots but not everyone can go to a big time college program.  the draft is 7 rounds and each season teams need to change about 10 or so players.  so where do these extra players come from?

Nobody is arguing that you can't find quality undrafted players.  OTOH, they are certainly longshots.  The draft process is way more sophisticated than it used to be and very few kids are truly under the radar.  Vyncint Smith went to Limestone and teams actually requested the Gamecocks invite him to their pro day.  Belichick was there and most teams had him covered.  You can watch games on youtube and spot guys like Shephard. FWIW, Steve Largent was a 4th round All-American out of Tulsa.  Maybe you are thinking of Zorn the lefty QB.

10 hours ago, adb280z said:

Berrios is a slot guy.  I think he is basically Crowder's backup.  As long as Crowder is on the field he isn't going to give us much.  I am not counting on him, but guys that come over in September don't generally make much of an impact.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Nobody is arguing that you can't find quality undrafted players.  OTOH, they are certainly longshots.  The draft process is way more sophisticated than it used to be and very few kids are truly under the radar.  Vyncint Smith went to Limestone and teams actually requested the Gamecocks invite him to their pro day.  Belichick was there and most teams had him covered.  You can watch games on youtube and spot guys like Shephard. FWIW, Steve Largent was a 4th round All-American out of Tulsa.  Maybe you are thinking of Zorn the lefty QB.

good call on largent.  now that i remember, he went to tulsa.  he also went to congress from ok.  i think drew pearson went undrafted.  also from tulsa

7 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

The Jets fielded over 80 opponents punts last year.   He returned 21 for yardage.  The rest were caught without fumbling or misjudging the ball and losing more yardage.  Dismissing the ones he didn’t return understates his value.

Hopefully he grows into the receiver role.  If not, his shelf life will be short.

He was fine returning punts, he one muffed punt and as far misjudging punts I don't know how many he caught & downed vs punts downed by the opposition.  As far as him in the offense he's not a factor, but some guys on here are talking like he was.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 8:11 AM, BUM-KNEE said:

Wow. Does our WR corps suck, or what? ?

Bell and the TE's will have to pick up a lot of slack this year.