Cameron Clarke

3 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Do you think he could start at G this year? Or is he going to need to backup Lewis and GVR?

I'd like for him to start but I don't see it happening this year. 

If he backs up, he could sub at tackle as well as guard...while learning at the pro level...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Backup, depth chart OT/OG.

He won't be ready to start. Especially not if Edoga and Fant show up looking like starting caliber OTs. I think if you move Clark to OG he will have a tough time taking the job from vet guys like Lewis, GVR, Winters, even Andrews. Maybe if Edoga struggles and Becton looks really iffy or gets hurt, then Clark will get a shot at RT but I don't see it. 

@TNJet 'Clark' does not have an E on the end of it. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Lith said:

GIven the disrupted, limited off-season, I think it will make it a lot harder for rookies to start.   Mid round pick like Clarke is probabaly a long shot, but hopefully will see some action this year and be ready to start next season.

Yep and given the limited off-season, you almost have to wonder how many draft picks make it to the final roster.  I know we're all excited about some of the late round picks but they're late round picks for a reason and those guys along with a pretty strong UDFA class, I would imagine are battling for roster spots.  The more the coaches get to see the better so it's going to be interesting for sure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

Do you think he could start at G this year? Or is he going to need to backup Lewis and GVR?

I'd like for him to start but I don't see it happening this year. 

You've got to remember the Jets pretty much stink everywhere on the OL. There's legitimate competition at every spot on the OL. Completely wide open near as I can tell. I see Clarke having a good chance to start on this OL. It won't be easy, 5th rounders rarely if ever take starting spots in their rookie season. But the Jets have a horrible OL and so until they establish a system that acquires talent everyone will get a shot.

5 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

You've got to remember the Jets pretty much stink everywhere on the OL. There's legitimate competition at every spot on the OL. Completely wide open near as I can tell. 

Hmm. Well Becton earns a starting gig on being drafted 11 overall and McGovern and Lewis probably get starting jobs based on contract. If Edoga beats out Fant he will be the most expensive swing tackle in football. Winters if he's still here, and hasn't taken a pay cut, will be the starting RG. That feels unlikely however and more likely GVR makes more money than Andrews so he wins that job etc. 

look at  Ryan Kalil last year...the contract size in the NFL  dictates playing time whether it's fair or not 

could Clark win a job based on merit? it's feasible based on what the team wants long term (Becton and Clark mashing on the left side) but it's because of the draft pick investment that makes his story possible. 

for a guy like Conor McDermott to win a starting job, there'd have to be massive injury depletion (which could very well happen) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I think that’s the plan. I highly doubt it happens this year. This is more of a 2 year project in my opinion. 

Totally agree.  JD knows he can’t “fix” our OL in one year.  I think the first 25% of the season will be an experiment, especially because we probably won’t have a proper Training Camp.  Becton, McGovern, and Van Roten are locks as starters...and maybe Fant(sigh).  Gase will be moving the rest of the guys around to see what fits.  Chemistry is crucial, and JD stressed getting OL who can play multiple spots.  I think 2021 is the year we “fix” our OL for the long run.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Backup, depth chart OT/OG.

He won't be ready to start. Especially not if Edoga and Fant show up looking like starting caliber OTs. I think if you move Clark to OG he will have a tough time taking the job from vet guys like Lewis, GVR, Winters, even Andrews. Maybe if Edoga struggles and Becton looks really iffy or gets hurt, then Clark will get a shot at RT but I don't see it. 

@TNJet 'Clark' does not have an E on the end of it. 

Sometimes it does have an E.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Cameron Clark won't start but he will be a STARTER at left guard after Alex Lewis gets hurt

it's a matter of when not if 

Based on his overall history, yes it would seem so. On their rookie contracts he wasn't any more reliable than Enunwa really, and Baltimore didn't want to waste guaranteeing his $ with an opening day roster spot & wait for his next injury. Seems they were about to cut him before we swooped in by offering a conditional 7th.

Not missing a snap since Gase first put him out there, his 2019 Jets season of 12 straight starts was the only stretch where he didn't miss games due to injury at 2 separate times in the same season (or miss the entire season outright). Appears 2016 and 2018 he missed time due to injury, then came back, then got injured and missed time again. In between that, in 2017 he got injured & went on IR in early August. Also 2019 before we traded for him he was on PUP until right before that point & Balt didn't want to remove the opportunity to let him go before he got injured again.

Based on health alone - never mind starting 75% of the season - he vastly outperformed expectations. Will it happen again? Hope so, since his pay certainly went up, but no way am I betting on 16 healthy starts from Lewis. So yeah, there's a good chance we'll see some backup guard propelled to starter this year, and the safer money is on that being at LG (not that Winters has exactly been injury-free himself).

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

What about Winters? When is he getting injured?

the Saints just cut Larry Warford and other players are being forced to accept paycuts along the way 

it's entirely possible Winters isn't on the roster when the season starts. they free up a ton of space by cutting him and Douglas obviously likes GVR. 

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Do they benefit at all by waiting to cut winters?  If not they should do it now and let the guy have a chance to catch on elsewhere.

I'm not a big fan of BW, but as a line trying to get better, he is a veteran who might improve and work better with the new guys we got, providing some consistency ....he's not as bad as advertised at least the Madden game agrees(lol), he's gritty  if mixed in w a better group he will add something..

44 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

We need him as the 4th Tackle. With all that said I don't have much faith in Lewis. He's one of those assets that a GM over values being that he's one of his guys. If he were to win the G job then even better.

I think Lewis is better than you guys give him credit.  Pretty sure the Ravens had him penciled in to start a couple of times and then he let them down by getting hurt.  If we are lucky the injuries were a fluke and we have a solid G.  If not he will get hurt again and maybe Clark will be ahead of Van Roten when the time comes.  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Based on his overall history, yes it would seem so. On their rookie contracts he wasn't any more reliable than Enunwa really, and Baltimore didn't want to waste guaranteeing his $ with an opening day roster spot & wait for his next injury. Seems they were about to cut him before we swooped in by offering a conditional 7th.

Not missing a snap since Gase first put him out there, his 2019 Jets season of 12 straight starts was the only stretch where he didn't miss games due to injury at 2 separate times in the same season (or miss the entire season outright). Appears 2016 and 2018 he missed time due to injury, then came back, then got injured and missed time again. In between that, in 2017 he got injured & went on IR in early August. Also 2019 before we traded for him he was on PUP until right before that point & Balt didn't want to remove the opportunity to let him go before he got injured again.

Based on health alone - never mind starting 75% of the season - he vastly outperformed expectations. Will it happen again? Hope so, since his pay certainly went up, but no way am I betting on 16 healthy starts from Lewis. So yeah, there's a good chance we'll see some backup guard propelled to starter this year, and the safer money is on that being at LG (not that Winters has exactly been injury-free himself).

good background on lewis.  agree he won't play all 16 games so it would be logical for clarke or van roten to back him up.  clarke does seem like a good pick though.  douglas chose him over more heralded players for a reason.

12 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good background on lewis.  agree he won't play all 16 games so it would be logical for clarke or van roten to back him up.  clarke does seem like a good pick though.  douglas chose him over more heralded players for a reason.

I’d like Lewis to not get injured at all, but if/when he does then hopefully they get a bunch of games in before he goes down. At least a decent amount of time for the rest of the mostly-new OL to jell together, since two rookies on the same line opening day is rarely an asset.

Whatever they may become, neither is as polished a prospect as Ferguson or Mangold (let alone both) in terms of expected performance as rookies. The high floor of both in 2006 is what allowed confidently starting them both together from game 1. Becton might have a higher upside than Brick but he’s got nowhere near Brick’s (then) ultra-high floor as a prospect. Neither Clarke’s upside nor his floor matches 2006 preseason Mangold. Also rookies Ferguson & Mangold had totally full camps under - let’s call it normal - conditions that also predates today’s stricter no-contact CBA rules even in the absence of covid. 

It is ironic though that the weight concerns for these Jets 1st round tackles were polar opposites: early on they were trying to keep Brick from slipping down to near 280 lbs; early on with Becton they’re focused making sure he doesn’t hit 380 lol. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

Cameron Clark won't start but he will be a STARTER at left guard after Alex Lewis gets hurt

it's a matter of when not if 

This, and he will get his reps in. I cannot envision the goal line package not including him. Punching the ball in behind him and Becton should be a forgone conclusion.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

clarke does seem like a good pick though.  douglas chose him over more heralded players for a reason.

That's a good point. Seemed like Clark was the O-lineman that JD had his eyes on and knew he'd get in rounds 4 or 5.

I know there were a lot of big name interior O-lineman that went in the 3rd round (when we had 2 picks).

Have to trust JD's judgement here. But I hope he got it right. Becuase usually when you're unable to secure quality O-lineman in the mid rounds of draft, you have to turn to free agency and spend big bucks on C/Guards (which should be avoided)

36 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

That's a good point. Seemed like Clark was the O-lineman that JD had his eyes on and knew he'd get in rounds 4 or 5.

I know there were a lot of big name interior O-lineman that went in the 3rd round (when we had 2 picks).

Have to trust JD's judgement here. But I hope he got it right. Becuase usually when you're unable to secure quality O-lineman in the mid rounds of draft, you have to turn to free agency and spend big bucks on C/Guards (which should be avoided)

yep.  clarke does seem like a good pick though.  he's got the size and good enough collegiate record.  maybe he should've gone higher.  imo the jets are lucky to get this guy where they did and now have some really depth to go with the oline upgrade.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

This, and he will get his reps in. I cannot envision the goal line package not including him. Punching the ball in behind him and Becton should be a forgone conclusion.

if the Jets vets stay healthy a player like Clark could have a problem getting game day active 

unless he can leapfrog Andrews/GVR quickly