Jamal Adams...sign him or trade him?

Assuming Jamal is looking to be highest paid safety in the NFL, should Joe D sign him or move him for multiple premium picks?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Sign or trade?

27 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

If he was on another team would you trade 2 first rounders and then sign him to a market setting contract ?

Im pretty sure Jacksonville will take less for Nakagowe or whatever his name is.   Is he less valuable?

No - I wouldn't. We should just sign him long term.

I couldn't care less about Nakagowe. He is an 8.5 sack/year guy who had one 12 sack season. Whoop di doo.

7 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

True, but another message that’s sent out is that the Jets don’t take care of their best players. JA is most definitely that right now. 

The players know what positions get paid.  Did Pittsburgh worry last year when Bell held out? Do you really think that will effect players going there?   How about NE and Brady?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

What?  As opposed to Good Will Hunting where hes a genius janitor at Harvard? 
Or the Bourne movies where he kills many and never gets nicked?   They are entertainment not a documentary 

1.  A guy who wants to win the World Series of Poker.

2.  A young janitor who's supposed to be a mathematical genius on a level not seen since S Ramanujan.  Who also doubles as an autodidactic intellect among many other disciplines.  (Oh.. And a consummate ladies man too.)

3.  A lost nobody suffering from memory loss who is part of a secret CIA project of creating fearless cold blooded assassins.

Man.  I tell you what.  It's that first one where I have to suspense my disbelief and wonder about the limits of dramatic license. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Life is all about risk vs. reward and weighing alternatives and priorities.

I think we're a better and more competitive team with another good WR prospect (and CeeDee Lamb was a very good prospect, as were a few selected after him) and another good O-lineman.  Or if you prefer, an Edge prospect.  Or a CB.  Or some other Lineman, if you like.

But as I say, it didn't happen.  So we retained our All-Pro Strong Safety and will probably pay him a king's ransom.  He's a good player, no complaints.  I'd have just preferred to invest more in offense around Sam, but that's just my opinion.    Everything comes at a cost.  If we're not as good on Offense in 2020 as we want, part of that was because we chose to keep Adams.  If folks are ok with that, great.

Agree. 

He is the face of our franchise ..we gotta sign him!

What message does it send to prospective players around the league knowing we would let go of our best player ..not because he did anything wrong or was in the news for the wrong reasons but because he wanted a long term deal for the right amount after being a complete leader and standout player for our team.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

6 hours ago, Prez33 said:

How many guys on this roster are getting big contracts right now?  LeVeon Bell will either be restructured or let go next season. That alone frees up plenty of money. Our salary cap will look much different in a couple of years. Jamal Adams isn’t going to single handedly destroy our cap space. 

People keep saying this but no one knows what the salary cap is going to look like moving forward.  If stadiums are empty or 50 % capacity this year due to COVID you could see the cap go DOWN, not up.

Even if it goes up there's no argument to be made that throwing money at a guy who is not a QB, LT, EDGE, CB or WR would bode well for the future of the franchise.  That's a Macc move, not a JD one.  

10 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

lol - Jamal Adams has to prove what, exactly? He's the best SS in the league - first team all-pro. He's proven.

He has to prove that being the best SS in the league in 2020 is not the equivalent of being the world's best VCR repairman in 2020.  

• WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, TnT said:

Sign and trade

That's essentially what would happen if the Jets were to allow Adams and his agent to seek out a trade.  Adams and his agent would work with whatever interested team he wants to go to on the framework of a contract, THEN the Jets would negotiate with the team on the trade compensation.

2 hours ago, Tezza said:

What message does it send to prospective players around the league knowing we would let go of our best player ..not because he did anything wrong or was in the news for the wrong reasons but because he wanted a long term deal for the right amount after being a complete leader and standout player for our team.

It sends the same message that all the successful franchises in the league send to players:  This is a business, and we'll treat it as such.

The Jets have been rolled over by players for decades, and massively overpaid guys they shouldn't have out of a sense of loyalty, sentimentality and/or poor judgment.  These guys come to mind:

• Sam Cowart
  • Curtis Martin
  • Wayne Chrebet
  • Chad Pennington
  • Mark Sanchez
  • Santonio Holmes
  • Darrelle Revis (the 2nd time around)
  • Quincy Enunwa 

It's high time the Jets aren't the ones that constantly get duped.  And we especially shouldn't be getting duped by Jamal Adams when he has 3 years left on his deal.

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

The players know what positions get paid.  Did Pittsburgh worry last year when Bell held out? Do you really think that will effect players going there?   How about NE and Brady?

Apples and oranges. 

Connor was waiting in the wings in Pittsburgh and looked liked a great replacement. And Brady was in slow decline in NE, with a broken relationship with McDaniels and deteriorating relationship with Belichick. 

Adams is 100% on board with staying in NY. 

24 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Apples and oranges. 

Connor was waiting in the wings in Pittsburgh and looked liked a great replacement. And Brady was in slow decline in NE, with a broken relationship with McDaniels and deteriorating relationship with Belichick. 

You said this was about the Jets reputation being ruined if they don’t reward him.  How does replacing maybe the best back in the league In his prime with his back up any different than our situation, and why would player reaction differ?

Adams is so not on board with staying unless he gets paid, that he is causing trouble.  Not that I think that has anything to do with your original point.   Both Bell and Brady were quite willing to stay if they got paid.   Brady gave them 20 yrs, with home team discounts and 6 Super Bowls-If anybody could say he was mistreated it would be him.  Adams still has 2 more years on his original contract.  He has relatively little to cry about.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tezza said:

This would set a precedent the Jets don’t want to and don’t need to set.

what would you say if Adams had wanted a new contract after his second year or even his first year?  Give it to him?

The Cowboys might very well be in the Super Bowl conversation this year. Why would we trade a special talent like Adams for a late first
and a third? There must be a few other teams interested- Raiders?
Yes, he is a great player but am getting tired of his “ all about me” attitude, especially since he has two years left on his contract.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, vic said:

The Cowboys might very well be in the Super Bowl conversation this year. Why would we trade a special talent like Adams for a late first
and a third? There must be a few other teams interested- Raiders?
Yes, he is a great player but am getting tired of his “ all about me” attitude, especially since he has two years left on his contract.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Looks like the boys won’t offer Gallup as part of the package for Adams which is stopping the deal

15 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

At what point does his salary become more of a hindrance than his play on the field is helpful?

this question is never asked or answered by teams with owners fully committed to winning. Jerry Jones never asks how he's going to pay everyone. He just does it. Because he wants to win. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this question is never asked or answered by teams with owners fully committed to winning. Jerry Jones never asks how he's going to pay everyone. He just does it. Because he wants to win. 

1  Jerry Jones hasnt stroked a check to Prescott yet, and its a no brainer that a QB is way more vital to winning than a strong safety.

2  Jerry Jones hasnt won sh*t since Aikman retired.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Loving how Douglas is coming off in this. 

Wait till 2021 to resign like everyone else, if a team wants to trade, come call me. Otherwise nothing is happening. 

Agreed .  The worst thing to do is to force something and get lesser value 

9 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

You said this was about the Jets reputation being ruined if they don’t reward him.  How does replacing maybe the best back in the league In his prime with his back up any different than our situation, and why would player reaction differ?

Adams is so not on board with staying unless he gets paid, that he is causing trouble.  Not that I think that has anything to do with your original point.   Both Bell and Brady were quite willing to stay if they got paid.   Brady gave them 20 yrs, with home team discounts and 6 Super Bowls-If anybody could say he was mistreated it would be him.  Adams still has 2 more years on his original contract.  He has relatively little to cry about.

My analogy is this: 

You’re the owner/boss of a small company, and you start people out at a set salary when they’re hired. Let’s say two employees stand out in particular among the rest. Their accomplishments are clearly above those of others, and yet they’re still making the same salary in year two or three that others are. 

Those two employees come to you and say “I know you’re usual policy is to give raises after 5  years, but anyway you can bend those rules? We know who the people are that kick ass around here, right? You can count on us to continue to deliver big results for years to come”. 

Your call, boss. 

A6A27481-4876-4BE3-8043-FB38F7FE26F4.gif

lol no. He’s 100 % on board with going wherever he can get paid like one of the game’s highest paid defensive players.

He already has expressed interest in going to Dallas. So at best you can say he’s, say, 80 % on board with staying in NY.

what would you say if Adams had wanted a new contract after his second year or even his first year?  Give it to him?

A rookie can’t be signed to a new deal in his 1st or 2nd year, per the CBA. Year 3 is the first season where a rookie can ask for a new one.

10 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

If a player is clearly outperforming their contract, you’ve gotta keep that in mind, too. 

Eddie Jackson of the Bears getting 14.6 million a year. Byard, Mathieu, and Collins are also over 14 million per. Jamal Adams is getting 3.5 million. That’s not a slight difference. That’s a Grand Canyon size difference. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol no. He’s 100 % on board with going wherever he can get paid like one of the game’s highest paid defensive players.

He already has expressed interest in going to Dallas. So at best you can say he’s, say, 80 % on board with staying in NY.

How do you know that? That all he cares about is money? 

That’s an assumption that fans make. A guy wants to be paid closer to what he’s worth, and he’s all of a sudden just about the money. I think it’s real easy for us to say that. Imagine if you were in his shoes, going to pro bowls, being named All Pro, and getting money nowhere near what you’re worth. I think your perspective would change quite a bit. 

45 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

My analogy is this: 

You’re the owner/boss of a small company, and you start people out at a set salary when they’re hired. Let’s say two employees stand out in particular among the rest. Their accomplishments are clearly above those of others, and yet they’re still making the same salary in year two or three that others are. 

Those two employees come to you and say “I know you’re usual policy is to give raises after 5  years, but anyway you can bend those rules? We know who the people are that kick ass around here, right? You can count on us to continue to deliver big results for years to come”. 

Your call, boss. 

A6A27481-4876-4BE3-8043-FB38F7FE26F4.gif

You explain to them that they’re contractually disallowed from seeking other employment within that specific industry and if they think they can earn more working for UPS or Dairy Queen, they should have at it. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Prez33 said:

How do you know that? That all he cares about is money? 

That’s an assumption that fans make. A guy wants to be paid closer to what he’s worth, and he’s all of a sudden just about the money. I think it’s real easy for us to say that. Imagine if you were in his shoes, going to pro bowls, being named All Pro, and getting money nowhere near what you’re worth. I think your perspective would change quite a bit. 

If you gave Jamal Adams the choice of playing for the Jets or the Cowboys, which do you think he’d choose? 

• Sympathy 1