NFL rumors:league might require fans to sign a waiver to attend games

2 hours ago, slats said:

It really is, though. A lot of these schools are dependent on football money. 

The spring season idea is probably a good one. That would probably push the draft into the summer. 

It's true that many universities, even those with large endowments (i.e. USC, Texas) rely on NCAA revenue for a number of things; and I can't speak for all universities as all budgets are different, but for the most part at most universities, the revenue that comes from NCAA sports is used for operating budgets. Thus a school like FSU, which has a small endowment comparatively speaking to other schools with major programs (UCLA and USC, for example, have a endowments over $5 billion compared to FSU's roughly $740 million), can afford to keep up a top flight sports program because of the revenue generated. 

Smaller D-1 schools are thus obviously the risk here, but if everyone goes online for the Fall, which seems like an inevitability anyways, the budget needs shift as do the operating costs.

It is worth noting that this is precisely where colleges went wrong in the Spring. Had we all started planning for this in January when the writing was clearly on the wall, contingency plans could have been put in place. We are most certainly in that same place once again and if there is one thing we should all have learned by now it's that when you prioritize revenue over public health, you wind up helping neither. Universities especially have to be mindful of this since almost every campus in the country are facing a number of lawsuits from the Spring and if they botch this for the Fall it will only get worse. And at the end of the day the biggest losers out of all of this are the teachers and students.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The problem isn't that players are testing positive it's that some people, apparently like yourself, believed players wouldn't test positive. 

As the article you posted noted at the end. "it's going to be a new normal for the next three months."

Did anyone actually believe that any sports league would have zero positive results before and during the season? The PGA, which is a zero contact sport has already had a few positives. Some of us go to work in environments where we COULD get exposed. Where we COULD test positive. It's the way of the world until there is a vaccine. 

You're missing the subtle point.  Sports like baseball and golf can easily social distance it's players.

A sport like football can't - so take the baseball numbers and multiply them by 10, especially since NFL players aren't going into a bubble.  Then add on the fact that the idea of immunity after you get it, might not be correct and football can be in big trouble.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:
It's true that many universities, even those with large endowments (i.e. USC, Texas) rely on NCAA revenue for a number of things; and I can't speak for all universities as all budgets are different, but for the most part at most universities, the revenue that comes from NCAA sports is used for operating budgets. Thus a school like FSU, which has a small endowment comparatively speaking to other schools with major programs (UCLA and USC, for example, have a endowments over $5 billion compared to FSU's roughly $740 million), can afford to keep up a top flight sports program because of the revenue generated. 
Smaller D-1 schools are thus obviously the risk here, but if everyone goes online for the Fall, which seems like an inevitability anyways, the budget needs shift as do the operating costs.
It is worth noting that this is precisely where colleges went wrong in the Spring. Had we all started planning for this in January when the writing was clearly on the wall, contingency plans could have been put in place. We are most certainly in that same place once again and if there is one thing we should all have learned by now it's that when you prioritize revenue over public health, you wind up helping neither. Universities especially have to be mindful of this since almost every campus in the country are facing a number of lawsuits from the Spring and if they botch this for the Fall it will only get worse. And at the end of the day the biggest losers out of all of this are the teachers and students.

Aware of number of colleges in northeast and south who while taking precautions and shutting down no later than thanksgiving are going to open including Ivy League,SUNY,SEC,Big Ten, northeastern Catholic. It will be different but they are opening.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

14 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Aware of number of colleges in northeast and south who while taking precautions and shutting down no later than thanksgiving are going to open including Ivy Lrague,SUNY,SEC,Big Ten, northeastern Catholic. It will be different but they are opening.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

As of now. One of my institutions is doing the same thing, but you have to understand that those decisions were all made before the first wave spiked again. Second wave projections for CA are not so good and will be exacerbated by a bad upcoming flu season. That's why the CSU's made their decision before summer even started.

Note the fact that USC walked back their in-person model last week. They were first on everything in the Spring and I think it is fair to say they along with the CSU's seem to be an indicator for the fall. At least for CA. But even with a state like Arizona, both UA and ASU planned to be back for the fall; but AZ is still a couple weeks away from peaking. And they are going to just be ready to go back in the classroom in 7-8 weeks? The liability risks from a financial standpoint are through the roof, way higher than any revenue loss that could come from no sports and/or lower enrollments.

I think we are going to start seeing a lot of schools walk back their in-person decisions in the next couple weeks. Just my opinion, but I can tell you firsthand that there is a lot of movement for it right now.

On 7/3/2020 at 2:33 PM, Jetster said:

No one can live in a bubble, you could be quarantined for 14 days, get a delivery from Amazon & bam, Covid. The death rate for 60 & under is so minuscule, this same age group has a better chance of being in a terrible car accident than dying from Covid. 
STAY AWAY FROM OLDER PEOPLE & Those with underlying conditions. 
The season will kick off as soon as soon as the election is over. It’s just too freaking obvious! 
Just a few years from now the truth will be told, you can flatten a curve, you can’t stem a Pendemic as it will run its course no matter how you proceed. It’s always been about not overwhelming healthcare system & now that the elderly & people with underlying conditions have been more cautious total deaths are way down compared to positive result #s skyrocketing because more & more people are finally getting tested. Outspoken immunologists are being silenced by the Media. Do your homework. 

Do people know that other bad stuff besides dying happens?

• Upvote 3

On 7/5/2020 at 10:56 AM, Jet Nut said:

I dont think it will happen because of fans in the stands.  I dont even think it will happen if some players come down with COVID.

I think its the coaches.  What happens if a Belichick, a Andy Reid, a Pete Carol come down with it?  Then what, its a huge disadvantage to lose your HC, never mind a top one

I predict Belichick gets coronavirus 

#tank4trevor

On 7/5/2020 at 1:12 PM, Savage69 said:

My niece her husband and their 4 kids all have had Covid the kids late teens early 20's felt nothing the only thing my niece had was a slight fever and couldn't taste anything for 4 days and her husband did have pneumonia for a few days and also lost his sense of taste they are all fine now. The kids say most of their friends have had it with little problems. The media loves to dramatize everything when we have a hurricane down here in FL they make it sound like its the end of the world.. 

Lots of people experience zero to no symptoms.  Particularly if they have O Pos blood type which me and my family have thank God

other people are not so lucky and the people who are dying aren’t all old people with severe medical comorbidites

I still don't understand why anyone thinks there's going to be an NFL season. How on earth could there be? I bet 3 or 4 coaches would die if they had a season. Ridiculous. Absolutely nothing has changed since March with this virus - other than it's gotten much, much worse here in USA

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2020 at 3:55 AM, Matt39 said:

If the players want to kill the golden goose then so be it. We’ve been without sports for 4 months now. Does anyone truly miss it? Things are going to be massively different. 

I'm a fan of another team who got on here because I have tickets for a Jets game vs my team (Arizona) in October.  I'll say this..sports are extremely important because they UNIFY communities.  I see it every Sunday in the fall.  You know what color is important on Gameday??  Red (for me anyway) and for you all Green.  I don't give a flying crap who you are ... I see you in Red, you're my brother.  (don't get me wrong, I don't have issues with anyone on other days)  I'm just saying sports makes it easy to forget differences and join together on similarities. I think we all agree our nation needs that in this time. I was just talking with a friend who grew up during the Detroit Riots...the Tigers brought that city back together from the brink.  

I for one, miss sports and desperately want it back.  I hope to be there at the Met in October to cheer for my Cardinals and have a great day with your fans. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, AZCARDSDINGUS said:

I'm a fan of another team who got on here because I have tickets for a Jets game vs my team (Arizona) in October.  I'll say this..sports are extremely important because they UNIFY communities.  I see it every Sunday in the fall.  You know what color is important on Gameday??  Red (for me anyway) and for you all Green.  I don't give a flying crap who you are ... I see you in Red, you're my brother.  (don't get me wrong, I don't have issues with anyone on other days)  I'm just saying sports makes it easy to forget differences and join together on similarities. I think we all agree our nation needs that in this time. I was just talking with a friend who grew up during the Detroit Riots...the Tigers brought that city back together from the brink.  

I for one, miss sports and desperately want it back.  I hope to be there at the Met in October to cheer for my Cardinals and have a great day with your fans. 

Awfully idealistic. This may have been true at one time, but sports are finished. It’s over. Too much uncertainty, too much resentment of the fans, and athletes focused on matters more important to them. Impossible for leagues with this much money at stake to not implode with all the surrounding circumstances, especially if the personnel isn’t all in.Luckily for us, it’s been 4 months without and the world has moved on.

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Awfully idealistic. This may have been true at one time, but sports are finished. It’s over. Too much uncertainty, too much resentment of the fans, and athletes focused on matters more important to them. Impossible for leagues with this much money at stake to not implode with all the surrounding circumstances, especially if the personnel isn’t all in.Luckily for us, it’s been 4 months without and the world has moved on.

IMO, the owners have been pushing fans to the brink for decades by upping prices to the maximum on literally every element of attending games and this COVID sh*t finally pushed people past that brink. They conspired to turn sports into a luxury item and we’re heading into an era where nobody wants luxury items.

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2020 at 1:37 PM, T0mShane said:

You guys are two months and another 50,000 deaths away from settling on “you know, it was God’s will and who are we to question it?

The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

You don't libertarian much do you.

Your correct of course but most people can't see it that way

It's almost like these mouth breathers live in a society with other people while they pretend to live by themselves in the ******* woods and that making unilateral decisions doesn't impact the rest of people they interact with in society. If these morons get infected and kill their barber's grandparents they probably wouldn't even bat an eye because that's the price you pay?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Good point here. Really of all the things that have gone on for the past four months has no sports even made the slightest impact?

It really puts things into perspective

If the players want to kill the golden goose then so be it. We’ve been without sports for 4 months now. Does anyone truly miss it? Things are going to be massively different. 

Found a trumper

"Cases" are up, but still nowhere near the numbers of March and April. Morality and hospitalizations are  way down. Does not mean there are tons of people on death's door on ventilators, only that more people are getting tested. Most of them have minor or no symptoms. The elderly and those with underlying conditions need to take precautions. 
At this point we are shutting down the economy for a what is now elongated flu season. 
You can go to Shoprite or Costco or Trader Joes and crowd into the aisles,  or riot, but having dinner or a drink or your kid's CYO game will get you sick. Right. What bullhs!t. 

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, the owners have been pushing fans to the brink for decades by upping prices to the maximum on literally every element of attending games and this COVID sh*t finally pushed people past that brink. They conspired to turn sports into a luxury item and we’re heading into an era where nobody wants luxury items.

All of this for sure. Fans have been extorted forever coupled with pro sports organizations aligning themselves with the corporate luxury suite buyers and forgetting about the regular fan. Also there's a growing resentment the players seem to have for their own situations and there place as entertainers. I cant see how sports  move forward if the athletes feel completely disenfranchised from the organization they're employed by and their fanbase.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 7/7/2020 at 7:49 PM, funaz said:

You don't libertarian much do you.

Your correct of course but most people can't see it that way

Iibertarians who are against public health and pandemic decisions should really look over the terms non aggression principle and rational self interest.

A real libertarian would support being shot then for infecting someone with covid as that violates the N.A.P.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

27 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jamal Adams sucks.

Amen?

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

The flying spaghetti monster reaches out with his noodly appendage.

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, funaz said:

Found a trumper

Statistically cases are up because testing is readily and widely available. But deaths are not up. Math is hard. And if those trends were to turn and the deaths did go up, I'd concede you would be correct to think crowded sporting events would be a bad idea. The same way nobody wants to take the subway or work in a high rise right now. 

Everything is a tradeoff. In theory you could reduce traffic deaths to zero by...banning cars. This is a very contagious and potentially dangerous flu. Now it appears to be ebbing or hopefully mutating into something less deadly. Or may be we are approaching something like herd  immunity. There is a point where precautions stop above basic sensible precautions to the point of economic shut down stop making sense. 

T0m's point is also well-taken. NFL ownership has spent a quarter century trying to make stadiums cash registers to bleed people white. There are plenty of threads here with chapter and verse about that. 

Not getting political, period. If you want to shut down a thread, that's on you. 

• Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

Statistically cases are up because testing is readily and widely available. But deaths are not up. Math is hard.

Apparently math is hard for you. 

This wave is constituted of a significantly larger number and percentage below-60 year olds who are afflicted.  They don't die as readily (but many do suffer from some serious damage to organs... some are very extreme).  So that is why the death rate is lower.  This wave is not as ravaging on nursing homes, prisons and veteran retirement facilities like the first one was.    So sure... the DEATH rate is not up.  But the virus is spreading exponentially in areas and it may and probably will work it's way back to the parents, grandparents and instituionalized people at greater risk...  subsequently increasing death rates.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Apparently math is hard for you. 

This wave is constituted of a significantly larger number and percentage below-60 year olds who are afflicted.  They don't die as readily (but many do suffer from some serious damage to organs... some are very extreme).  So that is why the death rate is lower.  This wave is not as ravaging on nursing homes, prisons and veteran retirement facilities like the first one was.    So sure... the DEATH rate is not up.  But the virus is spreading exponentially in areas and it may and probably will work it's way back to the parents, grandparents and instituionalized people at greater risk...  subsequently increasing death rates.

Mortality is not up. Larger numbers of younger people are testing positive, but that is not the same thing as getting sick. "Afflicted"-like they'e going outside town to live in caves with the lepers, or they tested positive for having had or having the virus, and are mostly otherwise okay? Hospitals in Houston held a press conference last week in response  to media inquiries about them being overwhelmed to explain that they were in fact not overwhelmed at all. 

We were told the shutdown was to slow the virus and not overwhelm the system. That has mostly been accomplished. We should continue take sensible precautions. And if the mortality numbers turn for the worse, more radical measures would be needed . But that is not now the case. 

This is rough for kids who cannot get this season back. Expect college seasons are either going to be greatly curtailed, moved to the spring or cancelled altogether. Fordham is a lower D1 school. A trip to play Hawaii was really cool for these kids. It's not happening. Their season may not happen at all. The Ivy League is considering cancelling their season. If that happens a lot of other conferences are going to follow suit. 

https://nypost.com/2020/07/07/patriot-league-fordham-cancels-three-football-games/

On 7/7/2020 at 7:44 PM, T0mShane said:

It’s a microcosm of society as a whole 

Try buying a home with 30 miles of any of the cities in the US that actually matter (NYC, LA, Chicago, Seattle, Washington DC)

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2020 at 2:38 PM, AZCARDSDINGUS said:

I want to feel safe getting on a plane and visiting my 98 year old father in NY before his gone. Life has a way of interupting what we want.  I live in AZ.  It's a Covid hot spot because people went crazy for what they wanted when the lockdown ended. 

Take stock in what you have and be patient.  The less people feel desperate to get what they want the sooner we will put this in the rear view mirror.  The NFL will happen again.  It's not that important that it happens this year.  

• Upvote 3

So the big message today circulating in LA County is that universities are bracing for revised guidelines from the LA Dept of Public Health coming any day (or hour) now. Revisions for reopening plans are expected to follow. It is hard to fathom that sports crowds won't explicitly or implicitly be mentioned in some sort of way and even harder to fathom with LA spiking so hard right now that the city is going to allow fans at games if sports even happen at all. 

• Upvote 2