Redskins no more-team retires name

"In before the lock" isn't aging well.... It's humor directly correlates with the posts proximity to the lock.  

C'mon people up your game say something stupid and lock-worthy thats what the internet's for. Distasteful won't do somebody's got to go for the ban hammer.?

14 minutes ago, Biggs said:

White man who drives rented BMW justifying trademarking Indian slur for profit. 

Part of that is right, though leasing isn't renting and costs more than buying and selling, but I'm for the name change; just pointing out that it's not only the Redskins that needs to be looked at, many NFL team names are just as questionable.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

...it's not only the Redskins that needs to be looked at, many NFL team names are just as questionable.

SAR I

Nope.

That's just more stupid "on noes, slippery slope, but, but, but whatabout..." not-so-stealth defense of the Redskins racist-slur name.

No other NFL team name is a racist slur.  No other NFL team needs changed the way the Redskins needs changed.  None.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Part of that is right, though leasing isn't renting and costs more than buying and selling, but I'm for the name change; just pointing out that it's not only the Redskins that needs to be looked at, many NFL team names are just as questionable.

SAR I

When the economics change the names will change.  It's not that complicated.  Capitalism works.   It's okay to rent your cars.  It's not a reflection on your economic status.   

Just now, Warfish said:

Nope.

That's just more stupid "on noes, slippery slope, but, but, but whatabout..." not-so-stealth defense of the Redskins racist-slur name.

No other NFL team name is a racist slur.  No other NFL team needs changed the way the Redskins needs changed.  None.  

Yes, the degrees are different, but several NFL names are questionable.  And, again, I'm all for the name change, just saying there are other names that some would take issue with.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

When the economics change the names will change.  It's not that complicated.  Capitalism works.   It's okay to rent your cars.  It's not a reflection on your economic status.   

Sure. But was FedEx losing money being associated with Washington? Doubtful.

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, the degrees are different, but several NFL names are questionable.  And, again, I'm all for the name change, just saying there are other names that some would take issue with.

SAR I

Nope.  You can keep saying it, it will never be true.

Even the next most questionable from a N.A. aspect, Chiefs, isn't in the same ballpark.  Literally ever tribal culture in human history had Chiefs.  My Scottish Clan had and has a Clan Chief.  

There is no slippery slop.  There is no what's next in the NFL.  No other names are changing in the NFL, rightfully so.  Just stop, you're not remotely this dumb SAR.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sure. But was FedEx losing money being associated with Washington? Doubtful.

FedEx brand has intrinsic value that isn't related to their day to day operations, cash flow and profits and losses.  Iconic branding creates value beyond the balance sheet.  FedEx doesn't need to be associated with the stadium at all other than they feel the money spent has value to their brand.  

It's no different for BMW.  BMW has done a lot of work to disassociate itself from using slave labor during WW2 to manufacture airplanes and motorcycle parts for the Nazi's, including apologizing for it.   They have been so successful in changing their image overweight baby boomers from former allied countries across the globe rent their cars in droves. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Biggs said:

FedEx brand has intrinsic value that isn't related to their day to day operations, cash flow and profits and losses.  Iconic branding creates value beyond the balance sheet.  FedEx doesn't need to be associated with the stadium at all other than they feel the money spent has value to their brand.  

Which it probably was...but if this turns into at new stadium at RFK and a new brand, win-win for FedEx and Snyder. Synder wanted a new stadium more than he wanted to keep the name I'd guess.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Which it probably was...but if this turns into at new stadium at RFK and a new brand, win-win for FedEx and Snyder. Synder wanted a new stadium more than he wanted to keep the name I'd guess.

Founder of FedEx also is a minority-owner of the Washington team, remember.  All of Snyder's minority owners are for the name change.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Patriots:  Colonial slave owners and terrorists. 

Buffalo Bill:  Indian bounty hunter. 

Raiders:  Raped and plundered innocents on the high seas.  

Buccaneers:  See Raiders. 

Chiefs:  See Redskins.  

Cowboys:  Murderous enemy of indigenous people. 

Vikings:  Raped and slaughtered innocents whose land they conquered. 

Chargers:  Credit card debt afflicts billions of people.   

SAR I

The list can go on and on....

49ners- Glorifying manifest destiny and profiting off of native lands.

Giants- Offensive to very tall people.

Packers- Dangerously close to an offensive word regarding homosexuals

Jets- offensive to actual jets.

Dolphins- A franchise that abused the animal as a mascot for years.

Saints- Named after the Roman Catholic religion

Bengals- I saw tigers being treated cruelly in a show on netflix

Texans- Named after people from a state that was the last to abolish slavery after the civil war ended.

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Gotta say, I kinda like this.  Never been a fan of the burgundy and gold colors, but I kinda like this logo/color combo here.

Really?  A little surprised to hear this.  Personally, I always felt that Washington had some of the cleanest uniforms in the league. ESPECIALLY their throwback variants:

3F88EF14-58FC-4977-91B7-7D9243E372A8.thumb.jpeg.472c620f64c1511156b340f4dcf4cbe3.jpeg

50CF3A26-C252-44AA-9AA3-6550BE2CF3AE.thumb.jpeg.d7f6fbebe9e55536af8df2099b3c76db.jpeg

Obviously 2 different uniforms, but I think they're both equally great looking.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

You have to give Snyder credit.  When the economics changed his principled position changed.   

Just like Steve Kerr, LeBron, Pop, etc care about freedom except when it will affect them financially (e.g. criticizing China).

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Really?  A little surprised to hear this.  Personally, I always felt that Washington had some of the cleanest uniforms in the league. ESPECIALLY their throwback variants:

Fish's Favorite Colors:

1. Green, any and all shades (except maybe mint green).

2. Orange and Fall Tones

3. Blue (Mets Blue/Orange was, along with the Jets, my favs back then).

4. White/Black/Grey tones

5. Red tones

6. Yellow (unless paired as a secondary color to Green)

7. Purple, ugh, yuk.  Horrible.

Just not a huge fan of Red dominant schemes.  Even for my Nats, I much prefer their Blue uniforms and I typically wear the Blue hat, not the Red hat.

With that said, maybe I'll come to like it more if they go with a great logo/name.  I've hated this team for so long, for many reasons, some good, some dumb, maybe this fresh start will be a fresh view of the colors for me too.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

3F88EF14-58FC-4977-91B7-7D9243E372A8.thumb.jpeg.472c620f64c1511156b340f4dcf4cbe3.jpeg

50CF3A26-C252-44AA-9AA3-6550BE2CF3AE.thumb.jpeg.d7f6fbebe9e55536af8df2099b3c76db.jpeg

If they went with Warriors they could also use the FSU version they wore during the Spurrier era and the 50's.

6_8396018.jpg

• Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why would any of that be a "mistake"?  What are you losing by moving away from these names?   

one tradition

two principle.. why let a small group of vocal people control your decisions. Especially since I would bet they don't support the team

three where does it end..

so huge mistake.... is there any benefit? if you have one tell me

Just now, sciond said:

one tradition

two principle.. why let a small group of vocal people control your decisions. Especially since I would bet they don't support the team

three where does it end..

so huge mistake.... is there any benefit? if you have one tell me

Avoiding using team nicknames that are either racial slurs (Redskins) or not accurate to describe a people (Indians)?  I'd say that's a positive.  

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

During WWII, BMW supplied the Nazi war effort with airplanes and motorcycle parts using Nazi slave labor. BMW owner Günther Quandt and son Herbert were reportedly friendly with Hitler and profited from the Holocaust, being handed businesses seized from Jews sent to concentration camps.

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Avoiding using team nicknames that are either racial slurs (Redskins) or not accurate to describe a people (Indians)?  I'd say that's a positive.  

They why don't the native americans have an issue with it? So i respectfully disagree.