Sports is now on the precipice-Miami Marlins Covid

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

It really wasn’t, baseball should just fold up shop it’s so boring.

8 minutes of action over 4 hours is in fact the definition of boring. In the last quarter century life has sped up. And MLB for reasons nobody can explain decided to slow the f__ down to a crawl. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. It's a tough ask, but you are going to make millions of a dollars. Just go into a bubble for 3 months. Players that wanted to opt out of that could do so and forfeit their salary. 

The NFL is going to be far worse. Season lasts 6 months. Players are generally more likely to make dumb decisions. Not good. 

The real problem isn’t trying to play sports right now. People need sports and such more than anything. The problem is the entire country is doing the whole thing so wrong that there isn’t a reasonable way that it can be done unless cases were way down. That’s why sports in other countries are fine. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, southtown24th said:

Been watching MLS every single night for a month...it's been wonderful.

If baseball don't make it off the ground, do not care.

Sports are on the precipice...

And Juve just won its ninth straight Serie A title.  I've enjoyed watching MLS, too.  But what a difference in overall skill/play between MLS and the European leagues.

Just now, munchmemory said:

And Juve just won its ninth straight Serie A title.  I've enjoyed watching MLS, too.  But what a difference in overall skill/play between MLS and the European leagues.

I mean, and?  MLS is 24 years old.

Serie A is 90 years old.

If you are comparing the European product to the American product, you are missing the boat...

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Pulisic is going to be pretty great. I can tell you that much. Incredible post-lock down. Carried Chelsea to the Champions League.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

that's like saying, "man, the pizza in Houston, TX is NOTHING like the pizza in Napoli....", like, no...just no...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

for those of you keeping score at home, in the english language, you have to be on the precipice OF something...you can't just be ON THE PRECIPICE...it doesn't work like that.

Being cancelled. Ok? 

And yes, you can be on the precipice. It is an edge.

43 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's why a bubble is the only way this works.  Marlin players might all be doing the right thing but all it takes is a benchwarmer's lazy cousin who comes over for a beer and a few nachos and there you go, chaos.

There is an entire swath of the population in the MLB 18-26 year old sweetspot who can't put their social lives in check.  It's going to hit the NFL as well.  No bubble, no guarantee of safety.  That applies to the rest of us too, no?  In the State of New Jersey I am legally allowed to have a gathering of 99 people if I want.  Do I think that's safe?  Of course not.

SAR I

Even the bubbles don't work if the players think they're are an exception to the rule: https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/07/26/clippers-lou-williams-in-10-day-nba-quarantine-after-stop-at-atlanta-strip-club/

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Being cancelled. Ok? 

And yes, you can be on the precipice. It is an edge.

Sports are on the precipice of being cancelled.

Now that's proper English and a fully developed sentence leaving nothing to interpretation.

Well done!

• Thumb Down 2

So back to football, what happens if/when this happens to an NFL team. There's no minor league to dip into for coaches/players. I honestly can't remember, have they said anything about expanding rosters/practice squads? Can we make the whole team gameday eligible just in case? 

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If you recorded an NFL game and cut the commercials and stop time between plays you can watch a game in about 9 minutes.  

Yes, but the NFL is an 11 on 11 gang fight every play. None of that pitcher staring intently to the catcher for a sign, and then the batter steps out. NOTHING HAPPENS. Soccer at some point is going to figure this out in the US and then baseball is gonna be in big trouble. MLB is great if you want to take a nap on a weekend afternoon, better than even golf. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Serie A is 90 years old.

If you are comparing the European product to the American product, you are missing the boat...

Just an observation.  Overall, I think play has improved in MLS.  But some of those games were like watching paint dry.  Apart from a few teams, not a great deal of imagination on offense.  It will get there, especially if MLS truly adopts the academy model used around the world.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

So back to football, what happens if/when this happens to an NFL team. There's no minor league to dip into for coaches/players. I honestly can't remember, have they said anything about expanding rosters/practice squads? Can we make the whole team gameday eligible just in case? 

no one cares

soccer across the globe is humming along nicely

11 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Serie A is 90 years old.

We aren't going to be talking about soccer here.  It's not a sport.  Let's talk cheerleading.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It isn't under control.  Millions have vacated Manhattan for the summer.  Tens of millions are working from home.  Camps are closed.   When the kids go back to school and families say, screw it, might as well go back to the office, it's all over. September is going to be awful, October takes us back to April, just watch.

SAR I

Hope not.  I have seen a huge decline in the cases I deal with at work and want to be optimistic that maybe, just maybe, humanity isn't this dumb.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Just an observation.  Overall, I think play has improved in MLS.  But some of those games were like watching paint dry.  Apart from a few teams, not a great deal of imagination on offense.  It will get there, especially if MLS truly adopts the academy model used around the world.

and they continue to bring in sharp, promising, young DPs from South America and elsewhere in the world, that helps.

things are looking up.

I've been watching AVIDLY since 2010 and the product is 1000000000x better in just 10 years...

we will get there (there being an acceptable product, we will never be EPL, La Liga, Serie A, etc.--think more like Liga MX), it just takes time...

Good for you for watching and enjoying the American product, it has a lot of charm!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

and? 

MLS having 0 issues.

Don't be so sure about that: July 9th "MLS confirmed that Nashville SC have been withdrawn from the competition. Since arriving in Orlando, nine players on the Nashville squad have had confirmed positive test results for COVID-19." https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/06/28/major-league-soccer-announces-covid-19-testing-update Both Dallas and Nashville have both been withdrawn from competition.

50 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Actually, you're way off base.  NY has been doing far better after the initial surge.  Florida just keeps getting worse and worse.  The chart below tells a chilling story.

image.png

I have family in Florida.  I've heard stories about how people there are treating it. 

Yeah, the state, and the people within it, aren't the brightest when it comes to this virus.  I'm not going to get political, but, frankly, I'm not surprised.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Don't be so sure about that: July 9th "MLS confirmed that Nashville SC have been withdrawn from the competition. Since arriving in Orlando, nine players on the Nashville squad have had confirmed positive test results for COVID-19." https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/06/28/major-league-soccer-announces-covid-19-testing-update Both Dallas and Nashville have both been withdrawn from competition.

right...I watched ALL of that unfold.

they moved quickly and decisively and the tournament went on without a single hiccup...

sorry.

• WTF? 1