MMQB Sam Darnold's Development

Gangrene

13 minutes ago, nico002 said:

You're clueless

Taking away the NE game isn't just "taking away the worst game". It's taking away the largest statistical outlier in NFL history.

It's cherry picking, same as only taking the final 8 games vs. one of the weakest strength of schedules in NFL history (since you seem to like history).

That isn't an exaggeration, look it up. Darnold will never have another game that far from his mean ever again, its virtually a statistical impossibility.

That's great, because he was utter poop that game, indeed one of the worst games I've ever seen a QB play. 

I too would like a future where our franchise QB isn't playing the worst games we've ever seen.

If Darnold improves in no tangible way and plays 16 games he will have 4k 65$ 2-1 TD INT ratio. I'll take that sh*t to the bank all day. Wanna put $100 on it? Pay pal works for me. 

Go to DraftKings or Vegas if you need your fix, I'm not here to play games with you.

If you're right, and Sam has the 4,000+ Yards, 2-1 Ratio and 65% rate while playing all 16 games, then I will be duly silenced.  Sorry, Earl Montagu, but that's the only thing up for grabs here.

4 hours ago, Gangrene said:

For ongoing raging debate between Jet Nation posters of where Sam Darnold will eventually sit in the pantheon of past Jets quarterbacks, here is the latest installment of hope...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/08/24/covid-19-false-positives-trial-run-sam-darnold-joe-judge

DARNOLD’S DEVELOPMENT . . .

Hold the phone, the Jets have a pantheon of past QBs? I'm into words, and that definition doesn't fit here; unless, of course, you have the look a baby in a high chair has when they're being cajoled and then force-fed strained peas. With the exception of Namath and Shoe Booty, we have a stable of losers, not a pantheon. Bubby Brister, Rick Mirer, Patrick Ramsey, Neil O'Donnell, Ricky Ray, don't forget to write. Look on the bright side, though. We don't have Art Schlicter to brag about. 

Anyway, pantheon, which means a group of notable and illustrious persons, a building dedicated to the famous dead of a nation, sometimes containing their burial(s)/remains, the gods of a people. So as you can see, the Jets don't have a pantheon of past QBs;  unless of course you want to count dead in the water losers who go to the swamps of NJ to die (I have the bobbleheads to prove it). Well, The New Dump has as much character as a morgue so . . . but this is about Sam and here's what I think about this article:

Sam Nose Pick5.jpg

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

there's a series of tweets...   pred-draft that I referenced at one time...  all these traits have been there....

https://twitter.com/EliotCrist/status/958728954889887745?s=20

I thought his footwork was OK / better his rookie year than it was last year towards the end.  So I think it's not too much of a stretch to hope he at least gets back to his rookie season's footwork.  To me, it's really a question of whether he was ruined by the OL last year.  I personally think he'll recover.

41 minutes ago, jetophile said:

Hold the phone, the Jets have a pantheon of past QBs? I'm into words, and that definition doesn't fit here; unless, of course, you have the look a baby in a high chair has when they're being cajoled and then force-fed strained peas. With the exception of Namath and Shoe Booty, we have a stable of losers, not a pantheon. Bubby Brister, Rick Mirer, Patrick Ramsey, Neil O'Donnell, Ricky Ray, don't forget to write. Look on the bright side, though. We don't have Art Schlicter to brag about. 

Anyway, pantheon, which means a group of notable and illustrious persons, a building dedicated to the famous dead of a nation, sometimes containing their burial(s)/remains, the gods of a people. So as you can see, the Jets don't have a pantheon of past QBs;  unless of course you want to count dead in the water losers who go to the swamps of NJ to die (I have the bobbleheads to prove it). Well, The New Dump has as much character as a morgue so . . . but this is about Sam and here's what I think about this article:

Sam Nose Pick5.jpg

Irony is sadly deflated like a Brady football when you have to spell it out that the word in this particular context was, in fact, being used ironically.

The use of the word "pantheon" was added on my part to suggest that collectively, past New York Jets quarterbacks are in fact, the opposite of anything that might be described in the most hallucinogenic of mushroom filled dreams as a "pantheon"

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

So we spent a #1 and three #2's for a QB who was too young (JN's favorite reason/excuse) and didn't really know how to play QB yet (per this article)?

And just as amazingly his talent and potential fooled pretty much every scouting service, expert whoever to also have the wool pulled over their eyes

And of course the reasons that everyone knows can influence development and bottom line numbers be damned

We need to have a 3rd year QB, one who hasn't payed two complete seasons to put up numbers that would be the all time best for this franchise and others in his 3rd season.

Asking for abnormally high totals in his 3rd season to back up your opinions, or else, really isnt a convincing argument.  Its just an argument

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Irony is sadly deflated like a Brady football when you have to spell it out that the word in this particular context was, in fact, being used ironically.

The use of the word "pantheon" was added on my part to suggest that collectively, past New York Jets quarterbacks are in fact, the opposite of anything that might be described in the most hallucinogenic of mushroom filled dreams as a "pantheon"

I know, I was just having fun. Besides, it always makes my day when someone actually uses irony or the word itself correctly. "Isn't it ironic when you hear about someone who has a bad feeling, doesn't get on a plane, and then gets hit by a bus?" "No, it isn't. It's uncanny." Anyway, using pantheon and the Jets in the same sentence is like using the word domination, so yes, o ye of little faith, I did get it, lol. Cheers.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

.................abnormally high totals....................

Oh, this again. :rolleyes:

I want to see 4,000 yards.  65%.  2:1 Ratio. 

Apparently you think that too much to ask from the 3rd pick in the draft, the guy that cost us 4 top picks to acquire, in his third NFL season.

13 QB's exceeded 65% last year.  I guess expecting Sam to be in the top 13 in this stat is asking too much.

11 QB's exceeded 4,000 yards, and 15 exceeded 3,700 yards.  I guess expecting Sam to compete for the top 11-15 spots is just too much to ask.

19 of the top 31 QB's met or eclipsed a 2:1 TD:INT Ratio.  Being in the top 2/3 of QB's in this, yep, too much to ask.

Our QB is supposed to be a Franchise QB, a top 10- kind of player.  Heaven forbid we actually want Franchise QB type performance out of him.

To put a name in it, I'm asking for Derrick Carr-level play.  To refresh your mind, that's 4,054 yards, 70.4%, 21 TD to 8 INT's.

I'd also take Deshaun Watson-level play.  That's 3,852 Yards, 67.3%, 26 TD's, 12 INT's.

Hell, I'm a flexible guy, I'd even accept down-year-Kirk Cousins-level play!  3,603 Yards, 69.1% 26 TD's to 6 INT's.

Are you saying Sam isn't as good...as Derrick Carr?  Or Watson?  Or Cousins in a poor year for him?

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Apparently you think that too much to ask from the 3rd pick in the draft, the guy that cost us 4 top picks to acquire, in his third NFL season

I could care less how many QBs met those numbers, to say he has to reach those numbers is, well you know what I think they are.  

I could care how many picks we used for the consensus number 1 rated QB.  I'll bet right now Allen, Jackson and Baker also dont hit those numbers and I could care less.  Jackson barely cracked 3100 yards, Trubisky the same.  so?

Instead of calling for Sam to hit totally arbitrary numbers, there are other ways to decide if he was worth the investment.  And no matter how many different ways you call it making excuses, QB numbers are dependent on a lot of variable that make a whole lot more sense than the investment made

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Apparently you think that too much to ask from the 3rd pick in the draft, the guy that cost us 4 top picks to acquire, in his third NFL season.

13 QB's exceeded 65% last year.  I guess expecting Sam to be in the top 13 in this stat is asking too much.

11 QB's exceeded 4,000 yards, and 15 exceeded 3,700 yards.  I guess expecting Sam to compete for the top 11-15 spots is just too much to ask.

19 of the top 31 QB's met or eclipsed a 2:1 TD:INT Ratio.  Being in the top 2/3 of QB's in this, yep, too much to ask.

Our QB is supposed to be a Franchise QB, a top 10- kind of player.  Heaven forbid we actually want Franchise QB type performance out of him.

To put a name in it, I'm asking for Derrick Carr-level play.  To refresh your mind, that's 4,054 yards, 70.4%, 21 TD to 8 INT's.

I'd also take Deshaun Watson-level play.  That's 3,852 Yards, 67.3%, 26 TD's, 12 INT's.

Hell, I'm a flexible guy, I'd even accept down-year-Kirk Cousins-level play!  3,603 Yards, 69.1% 26 TD's to 6 INT's.

Are you saying Sam isn't as good...as Derrick Carr?  Or Watson?  Or Cousins in a poor year for him?

Derek Carr is kind of odd. Puts up great numbers, but Gruden doesn’t seem to love him. 

6 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

The one thing I love about Darnold is that, unlike Sanchez, he really does seem to learn from and attack his mistakes and weaknesses. Sanchez would always say the right things into the microphone ("gotta learn not to make that throw", "forget your mistakes and move on" etc.) but you could always tell that the bad play from earlier in the game was eating at him in his head. 

What i love about Darnold is that the things you can’t teach, he seems to have, and the areas where he needs work(such as those technique wrinkles the article went into) are totally fixable and learnable if the player has the correct attitude and desire to work hard and improve ....which is one of those ‘can’t teach’ attributes Sam has.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's cherry picking, same as only taking the final 8 games vs. one of the weakest strength of schedules in NFL history (since you seem to like history).

That's great, because he was utter poop that game, indeed one of the worst games I've ever seen a QB play. 

I too would like a future where our franchise QB isn't playing the worst games we've ever seen.

Go to DraftKings or Vegas if you need your fix, I'm not here to play games with you.

If you're right, and Sam has the 4,000+ Yards, 2-1 Ratio and 65% rate while playing all 16 games, then I will be duly silenced.  Sorry, Earl Montagu, but that's the only thing up for grabs here.

who said only taking the last 8 games?  we said to just take out the 1 NE game.   that's 12 games for folks counting at home.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And just as amazingly his talent and potential fooled pretty much every scouting service, expert whoever to also have the wool pulled over their eyes

And of course the reasons that everyone knows can influence development and bottom line numbers be damned

We need to have a 3rd year QB, one who hasn't payed two complete seasons to put up numbers that would be the all time best for this franchise and others in his 3rd season.

Asking for abnormally high totals in his 3rd season to back up your opinions, or else, really isnt a convincing argument.  Its just an argument

he's a troll.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

is Sam the only player on the field?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Losmeister said:

I sometimes wonder about this, I am no expert so I cannot say that he sint processing at speed or whatever...  tho I have heard/read that...

the plays where he is late...or off time make me wonder....

I am not an expert either but he was slow in the 1st 5 games he played.  As the season progressed he got better - marginally but I believe one of the reasons was he was "thinking" (about how the new scheme was supposed to be run) rather then KNOWING.  That is a world of difference.  And this year the coach and players have stated he is in better command and his reaction time is improved.  In addition, and this is not an excuse but a fact, the protection was terrible and PC at times was a head scratcher.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

No.

If any of you REALLY believed in your golden boy, you'd only have to simply say "Just wait and see what he does in 2020, he'll silence you critics".

But not a damn one of you neg-repping homers actually truly believe in him enough to say such a bold thing. 

Because lets be honest, almost none of you actually believe he's going to produce to a franchise QB level in 2020.

So please, save me the faux offense.  I'll stop being critical, when he starts producing like a 1st + 3x 2nd type Franchise QB.

Just wait and watch him take us to the playoffs this year!

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

The trade didn't "cost us 4 top picks". We gave up 3 second rounders to move from 6 to 3. Net loss of 3 second rounders, not 4 picks.

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nice.  How long did he get this time?  Maybe he'll take the hint and learn something this time around.

TBD but it's a month so far. 

Warfish has been around for a bit & has earned at least a little respect, so if you’re going to call him names you have to do it the way I do it: with love, and a little light petting.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

i have not read every thread as of late, but people hate darnold now? alrighty then  

It's really just the guy that swore up and down for years that Dewayne Robertson and Gholston were unblockable beasts in the making who hates him.

Warfish, if I'm understanding him correctly, is just like most people here.  Hopeful, but not getting too attached just yet.  I'm in that same boat, however, I'm firmly in Sam's corner when it comes to supporting him.  'Fish is more hands off lol.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

So what youre saying is most NFL QBs didnt hit those numbers. 

Now instead of flopping all over with how many Qbs did hit each number, how many hit all of them?  

And now for the mike drop moment, how many were 3rd year QBs?  On lousy teams for bonus points.  Extra points with a coach you believe sucks at offense.

And you dont get why everyone is giving you shlt over these ridiculous qualifiers you've handed out?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jetophile said:

I know, I was just having fun. Besides, it always makes my day when someone actually uses irony or the word itself correctly. "Isn't it ironic when you hear about someone who has a bad feeling, doesn't get on a plane, and then gets hit by a bus?" "No, it isn't. It's uncanny." Anyway, using pantheon and the Jets in the same sentence is like using the word domination, so yes, o ye of little faith, I did get it, lol. Cheers.

Get a room nerds

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So most NFL QBs didnt hit those marks. 

Now instead of flopping all over with how many hit each number, how many hit all of them?

And now for the mike drop, how many were 3rd year QBs

And you dont get why everyone is giving you shlt over these ridiculous qualifiers you've handed out.

I’d love to see how many did all of his challemges. I would Guess 8

It looks like about

33% of posters thinks that Darnold is a masquerading southern CalifornianTrojan horse...he sucks,

33% of posters think Darnold is on the verge of breaking out to be "The Franchise', the savior, the answer...

and 34% readily admit that after two confusing years they have no frigging clue as what Sam Darnold is.

What posters seem to have a harder time admitting is that that this team is a nightmare for any qb.

We should never have been trading away multiple picks to move up to grab Darnold because who the hell would be  blocking for him or catching passes from him? A roster of no name replacement level players.

The talent level last year was abominable. The talent level this year is only marginally less offensive. 

It's a quagmire of pig waste created by years and years of GM neglect.

Blame? Idzik, Maccagnan and a special bonus helping to Charlie Casserley who was the GM whisperer in Woody's ear. 

Who’s been wrong more than Charley Casserly”

Bill Belichick 

Trying to evaluate Darnold with a carnival of clowns was going to be difficult..the loudest one even complaining of his early flight out of town to Seattle after he hastily set fire to every relationship possible.

This has been asked before but had we skipped that safety at 6 and instead drafted Mahomes, would Mahomes have been more effective than Darnold on the current Jets roster?

No one has a clue about Darnold, it's a guess. It sucks that we are still guessing but the torch light procession is years too late, Elvis Maccagnan has left the building.