Would have no problem tanking for Lawrence

Jetster

We'll now have 3 wasted years of Sam Darnolds rookie contract. While everyone's busy killing Gase (I have no problem if he's canned), but I rewatched last weeks game twice & Darnold isn't any better today than when he 1st stepped onto the field in Detroit. 

Im not saying that Darnold can't turn out to be a good QB, I believe he will in time, I just don't think he'll be a GREAT QB. I thought coming in he had a bit of Favre in him, make some bonehead mistakes but then make a tremendous play to make up for it. 

When you already look at the injuries suffered, the fact that Bell will be gone & Mosely will not have played in 2 years, if JD is setting up for a Trevor draft & his Coach of choice everything makes a lot of sense. What does he have to lose? He's got a 6 year contract. 

If we're tanking for Trevor than let's do it right! When these rookies get healthy let's turn to them. Mims, Perine, Davis, Zuniga, Huff, Hall, Clark, its time to go all in with the youngsters. 

Most here have just been concentrating on Gase, when Sam and the defense sucked total azz last week. It's Jets, Jax, Panthers, Bengals for #1 & Jets have the toughest schedule and the ammunition to get to #1 if it's the Bengals. Trade Sam to any NFC team interested, Bucs? Bears? Skins?, lions?, Saints,? Falcons?, even Vikings? A lot of NFC teams have old QBs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

not buying it. when you know you're pretty much going to be the 1st overall pick, you know you're going to a team that wasn't very good

Yeah but he’d rather be on a not very good southern/small market team. NY is basically his worst possible landing spot. He can only get somewhere better suited to him by sitting out.

1 - Trevor Lawrence is vastly overrated on these forums.  Off his performance in the nat champ game last year we can call him Quinnen Lawrence.

2 - With this roster and with the same coach he will not be one ounce better than Darnold.

Any talk of getting the next QB early in the draft is foolish until we upgrade the team talent and get rid of a terrible coach.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Jets are way more dangerous to his career than Covid. Sam’s body isn’t barely cold yet, you guys want to destroy another? Yikes. 

Not just me that thinks it might happen

1   CIN.svg Penei Sewell OLOregon, Jr     
2   NYJ.svg Trevor Lawrence QBClemson, Jr     
3   MIA.svg Gregory Rousseau EDGEMiami (Fla.), Soph     
4   JAC.svg Micah Parsons LBPenn St., Jr     
5   CAR.svg Patrick Surtain II CBAlabama, Jr     
6   WAS.svg Ja'Marr Chase WRLSU, Jr     
7   NYG.svg Caleb Farley CBVirginia Tech, Jr     
8   DET.svg DeVonta Smith WRAlabama, Sr     
9 HOU MIA.svg Wyatt Davis OLOhio St., Jr     
10   LV.svg Christian Barmore DLAlabama, Soph     
11   DEN.svg Rashawn Slater OLNorthwestern, Sr     
12   CLE.svg Justin Fields QBOhio St., Jr     
13   ATL.svg Jayson Oweh EDGEPenn St., Soph     
14   MIN.svg Jaylen Waddle WRAlabama, Jr     
15   LAC.svg Samuel Cosmi OLTexas, Jr     
16   CHI.svg Trey Smith OLTennessee, Sr     
17   TEN.svg Rondale Moore WRPurdue, Soph     
18   PHI.svg Dillon Radunz OLN. Dakota St., Sr     
19   IND.svg Kyle Pitts TEFlorida, Jr     
20   PIT.svg Trey Lance QBN. Dakota St.     
21 LAR JAC.svg Pat Freiermuth TEPenn St., Jr     
22   ARI.svg Shaun Wade CBOhio St., Jr     
23   NE.svg Dylan Moses LBAlabama, Jr     
24   GB.svg Rashod Bateman WRMinnesota, Jr     
25   DAL.svg Trevon Moehrig STCU, Jr     
26   BUF.svg Kwity Paye DLMichigan, Sr     
27   TB.svg Jay Tufele DLUSC, Jr     
28 SEA NYJ.svg Jalen Mayfield OLMichigan, Jr     
29   SF.svg Ar'Darius Washington STCU, Soph     
30   BAL.svg Creed Humphrey OLOklahoma, Jr     
31   NO.svg Tyson Campbell CBGeorgia, Jr     
32   KC.svg Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah LBNotre Dame, Jr     

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Jets are way more dangerous to his career than Covid. Sam’s body isn’t barely cold yet, you guys want to destroy another? Yikes. 

Jets have destroyed nothing. Football Outsider had Sam as %51 chance of bust. 

The tweets I have repeatedly posted show Sam at USC displaying the same issues that make him so inconsistent.

Ruining Sam isn't real, it  isn;t a real thing. It's manufactured by those who simply never checked out those videos or have and choose to ignore that this is a flawed QB.

None of the Sam Apologists Club have ever responded to the posts delineating his issues with mechanics and decision making.

( Yes, he;s done well with the fumbling.)

Trying to FIX Sam is the problem. Sam is being exactly who Sam is.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

1 - Trevor Lawrence is vastly overrated on these forums.  Off his performance in the nat champ game last year we can call him Quinnen Lawrence.

2 - With this roster and with the same coach he will not be one ounce better than Darnold.

Any talk of getting the next QB early in the draft is foolish until we upgrade the team talent and get rid of a terrible coach.

no way on gods green **** earth we should be drafting another QB until John Nash is fired.

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Not just me that thinks it might happen

1   CIN.svg Penei Sewell OLOregon, Jr     
2   NYJ.svg Trevor Lawrence QBClemson, Jr     
3   MIA.svg Gregory Rousseau EDGEMiami (Fla.), Soph     
4   JAC.svg Micah Parsons LBPenn St., Jr     
5   CAR.svg Patrick Surtain II CBAlabama, Jr     
6   WAS.svg Ja'Marr Chase WRLSU, Jr     
7   NYG.svg Caleb Farley CBVirginia Tech, Jr     
8   DET.svg DeVonta Smith WRAlabama, Sr     
9 HOU MIA.svg Wyatt Davis OLOhio St., Jr     
10   LV.svg Christian Barmore DLAlabama, Soph     
11   DEN.svg Rashawn Slater OLNorthwestern, Sr     
12   CLE.svg Justin Fields QBOhio St., Jr     
13   ATL.svg Jayson Oweh EDGEPenn St., Soph     
14   MIN.svg Jaylen Waddle WRAlabama, Jr     
15   LAC.svg Samuel Cosmi OLTexas, Jr     
16   CHI.svg Trey Smith OLTennessee, Sr     
17   TEN.svg Rondale Moore WRPurdue, Soph     
18   PHI.svg Dillon Radunz OLN. Dakota St., Sr     
19   IND.svg Kyle Pitts TEFlorida, Jr     
20   PIT.svg Trey Lance QBN. Dakota St.     
21 LAR JAC.svg Pat Freiermuth TEPenn St., Jr     
22   ARI.svg Shaun Wade CBOhio St., Jr     
23   NE.svg Dylan Moses LBAlabama, Jr     
24   GB.svg Rashod Bateman WRMinnesota, Jr     
25   DAL.svg Trevon Moehrig STCU, Jr     
26   BUF.svg Kwity Paye DLMichigan, Sr     
27   TB.svg Jay Tufele DLUSC, Jr     
28 SEA NYJ.svg Jalen Mayfield OLMichigan, Jr     
29   SF.svg Ar'Darius Washington STCU, Soph     
30   BAL.svg Creed Humphrey OLOklahoma, Jr     
31   NO.svg Tyson Campbell CBGeorgia, Jr     
32   KC.svg Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah LBNotre Dame, Jr     

RIP Trevors. Least he can do those hair commercials after Jets shorten his career/,

I don't even think it's a debate of Lawrence vs Darnold(it is also that, but not the most important debate).

I think the whole tanking for a QB notion that is so widely accepted is just a poor strategy because it very much limits the growth of a QB(in my opinion).  

I think if you look at a lot of the upper echelon QBs in the league right now, a lot of them went into pretty good situations.  Cupboards aren't usually bare.  Im sure there are examples of stud QBs who went to really bad teams and turned out fine, but I think there are far more recent examples of QBs going to at minimum a mediocre team and turning out great.  Guys le Mahomes, Watson, Wilson, Rogers, Brady, Jackson were all drafted onto teams that had recently been at least ok.  Some of them much better than ok.

Is that a coincidence? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't even think it's a debate of Lawrence vs Darnold(it is also that, but not the most important debate).

I think the whole tanking for a QB notion that is so widely accepted is just a poor strategy because it very much limits the growth of a QB(in my opinion).  

I think if you look at a lot of the upper echelon QBs in the league right now, a lot of them went into pretty good situations.  Cupboards aren't usually bare.  Im sure there are examples of stud QBs who went to really bad teams and turned out fine, but I think there are far more recent examples of QBs going to at minimum a mediocre team and turning out great.  Guys le Mahomes, Watson, Wilson, Rogers, Brady, Jackson were all drafted onto teams that had recently been at least ok.  Some of them much better than ok.

Is that a coincidence? 

Our young guys can still develop, get better & still lose games to better teams. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Name one damn thing Jets did help him along? Yeah, like that.  Bakers got weapons, Allen’s got weapons, Lamar has a custom offense. Sam’s got a Left Tackle in his third year and he’s throwing the ball to guys that are and never are #1 receivers. 

His start last Sunday was all on him missing guys that were open. That’s on him & no one else. That stupid throw for a pick? All Sam. Running out of bounds & losing 5 yards like Geno Smith? All Sam. 

Just ridiculous to even entertain the idea of drafting Lawrence. This team has way to many needs besides drafting a rookie QB.  Ain’t happening. JD spent a 4th on Morgan. He’d see if Morgan developed before moving on from Sam. I trust JD will strengthen this team through the draft and FA in the next 2 years. If Gase falls flat on his face, then he’ll get the right coach as well. This is not going to be an instant pancake mix solution. This year is rough. The injuries, the lack of time playing together, the lack of overall talent, the lack of cohesiveness on the OL, the crummy coaching. Patience boys and girls. Patience. 

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Is that a coincidence? 

no, i don't think it's a coincidence that good teams draft good qbs and make them better.  but it sure does seem as if douglas is setting it up to stick lawrence or fields in there next year with an established OL and the ability to add weapons with extra draft picks.  

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

His start last Sunday was all on him missing guys that were open. That’s on him & no one else. That stupid throw for a pick? All Sam. Running out of bounds & losing 5 yards like Geno Smith? All Sam. 

100% agreed. All the good stuff we saw end of last year and the few games he had was nowhere to be found. Let’s hope it comes back this Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Just ridiculous to even entertain the idea of drafting Lawrence. This team has way to many needs besides drafting a rookie QB.  Ain’t happening. JD spent a 4th on Morgan. He’d see if Morgan developed before moving on from Sam. I trust JD will strengthen this team through the draft and FA in the next 2 years. If Gase falls flat on his face, then he’ll get the right coach as well. This is not going to be an instant pancake mix solution. This year is rough. The injuries, the lack of time playing together, the lack of overall talent, the lack of cohesiveness on the OL, the crummy coaching. Patience boys and girls. Patience. 

YES. Leave poor pretty Trevor alone! 

30 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You’re confusing him with Sam who was laughably overrated because of one college game. I’ll take my chances on Lawrence who has been dominant in the vast majority of games he has played. So he laid one egg. Big deal.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

no, i don't think it's a coincidence that good teams draft good qbs and make them better.  but it sure does seem as if douglas is setting it up to stick lawrence or fields in there next year with an established OL and the ability to add weapons with extra draft picks.  

I don't disagree there.  I said it in the game thread last week that if Darnold doesn't make leaps and bounds improvement this year(not a good start) they will start over.  New coach, draft a QB, new weapons. I'm with you on that. 

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

I don't disagree there.  I said it in the game thread last week that if Darnold doesn't make leaps and bounds improvement this year(not a good start) they will start over.  New coach, draft a QB, new weapons. I'm with you on that. 

jets could easily get a top 2 pick based on this roster but have the draft capital to move up.  and say mims and perine play well during the 2nd half of the season.  sign 1 FA wr and then draft another and you stick the new QB into a decent situation.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

You’re confusing him with Sam who was laughably overrated because of one college game. I’ll take my chances on Lawrence who has been dominant in the vast majority of games he has played. So he laid one egg. Big deal.

The talent level of clemson team vs usc  team is startlingly different and no it was not off of one game, you seemingly never watched darnold at usa to any great extent.

Just now, Beerfish said:

The talent level of clemson team vs usc  team is startlingly different and no it was not off of one game, you seemingly never watched darnold at usa to any great extent.

Wrong assumption about my college watching habits and also I’m on record about the “better talent” crutch. Good players play good. Trevor is football Thor.