Say Goodbye to Sam Darnold

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

You're that parent that "validates" all his kids' moronic choices.

Real love is being tough when someone you care about is effing up.

No, I’m tough on my kids sometimes, I definitely challenge them. But there is no point in being a Jets fan for the next 10 years if you find the Johnson’s abhorrent. It’s just not a good use of time. This is a form of entertainment.  If it’s not entertaining, just change the channel.  

SAR I

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

Nice try. 

There is absolutely nothing in the NFL that compares to the Jets on all level in regards to talent right now. 

I dont care about Sam one way or another but I'm unbiased enough to at least be able to see unequivocally that Sam has nowhere near the situation around him that Joe has. 

You're comparing Burrows first games in a competent offense, with weapons around him to Sam's offense after 3 years of getting pummeled and left out on the field to play alone against 11 men with a HC that is a moron. 

Wake me up when Burrow has been through the same sh*t.

The Bengals were the 30th ranked scoring offense in the league last year.  One above the Jets.  The only significant pieces that they added on offense were Joe Burrow and Tee Higgins, a rookie WR.  Going into this week, they were ranked 23rd, a ranking that should go up given the production of their offense today.

The Bengals offensive line was ranked 26th last year.  They are currently ranked 31st in pass protection and might rank lower after this week.

The Jets are sitting 5 spots ahead of them right now at 26th.

This drastic/crazy difference in talent and coaching, that you believe exists, is a total fabrication.  Joe Burrow is “thriving” and showing astronomical amounts of potential in a situation on par with Sam Darnold’s, maybe even worse.

”Nice try.”

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

No, I’m tough on my kids sometimes, I definitely challenge them. But there is no point in being a Jets fan for the next 10 years if you find the Johnson’s abhorrent. It’s just not a good use of time. This is a form of entertainment.  If it’s not entertaining, just change the channel.  

SAR I

Irresistible force v. Immoveable object... what happens in the SAR household if one of his kids says something negative about Gase?

Tim And Eric Reaction GIF

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I appreciate the sentiment and certainly your long term loyalty. But our owners are not changing, they won’t for the rest of your life. So either understand that and be patient or perhaps focus on the New York Rangers. Their rebuild is over and look to be set for a decade.

SAR I

Patient?  I was fukking 12 when the we won SB III.  LOL!   

Totally agree that our owners will not change in philosophy or approach.  Guess we're all gluttons for punishment.

• Post of the Week 2

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

Hmmmmmm I see that all those that thought I was crazy a week ago for SUGGESTING that the Jets should trade Darnold are now  saying that we should trade him.  The only question on the table is when????

:(  

ASAP 

He's done. 

Time to move on, next man up. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

I said that same thing last week.  My reasoning is he is not going to look good with this talent and OL so they are lowering his potential trade value by playing him and worse HE COULD GET HURT!!!

I was wrong on my bold call we'd never see Darnold in green again. Of course, the Jets are the stupidest team in the NFL, so there's that.

Just now, jgb said:

I was wrong on my bold call we'd never see Darnold in green again. Of course, the Jets are the stupidest team in the NFL, so there's that.

Im beginning to think JD is in on the tank. 

No way can an NFL GM be this dumb and allow all this without someone getting fired. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Im beginning to think JD is in on the tank. 

No way can an NFL GM be this dumb and allow all this without someone getting fired. 

JD is absolutely in on the tank. This may be the first time ever we've seen an actual, no-nonsense NFL team tanking without even trying to hide it. Best culture in sport!

Sam has alot of potential he easily has the highest ceiling of any qb we have had in a long time. he was not given a fair chance and there is an argument that this is gases fault look at tannehill outside of miami's gase run system. There is also an argument that this is joe douglas fault for not providing players who are able to stay healthy to give sam a fair shake. Undeniably there is an argument that his failure is his own doing but we have done him no favors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

8 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Sam has alot of potential he easily has the highest ceiling of any qb we have had in a long time. he was not given a fair chance and there is an argument that this is gases fault look at tannehill outside of miami's gase run system. There is also an argument that this is joe douglas fault for not providing players who are able to stay healthy to give sam a fair shake. Undeniably there is an argument that his failure is his own doing but we have done him no favors.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

How much more failure are you going to need to see. 

Sam Darnold was better his rookie season. 

He has regressed and doesn't look like he can fix all thats wrong. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I feel for Sam, the human being.

One year under Todd Bowles with minimal talent.

Then two nightmare years under Gase, the worst offensive coach in the NFL, with rampant injuries (Gase Curse (tm)) and Gase himself calling plays.

I don't know, I doubted Darnold from long before we drafted him.....but honestly, I'm not sure any QB could look good with Gase, much less Bowles.  Especially with this 3-year talent pool.

Don't get me wrong, Sam Darnold is exactly what I told you folks he was, he's Patrick Ramsey reborn.  So many of the same habits, it's just sad, especially the happy feet in the pocket and penchant for interceptions.

Guess everyone is in on losing every game now for the new must-have Savior.  Glad I did other stuff today, first time in a long long time I chose to miss a game, and honestly, I feel nothing. 

Guess that says alot.

30 million. feel bad?eff that

image.gif.e92c0c4556930fde1272facc520dcae9.gif

STEVE SERBY

SPORTS

It just keeps getting sadder for Sam Darnold

October 25, 2020 | 8:53pm

MORE FROM:

STEVE SERBY

image.gif.33d23f3c67691b168210eb0d50445c14.gif

For three hours Sunday, Sam Darnold didn’t have to hear or read about Trevor Lawrence.

For three hours Sunday, Sam Darnold was back quarterbacking the team everyone was certain only three short years ago he would quarterback for the next decade, and part the Green and White Sea, and lead triumphantly out of the desert of despair.

He has learned the hard way that when you play for the Jets, there is no oasis.

This one ended Bills 18, Jets 10.

And as the Jets take another step on what looms as an inexorable march to 0-16, the white noise about Trevor Lawrence will be howling with hurricane force around poor Darnold.

The Jets will win a game if you subscribe to the theory that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

In the meantime, for the remainder of this Kotitian season, Darnold will be twisting in the wind, and trying to block out the reality that 0-16 would mean he would be gone with the wind.

(Unless Trevor Lawrence was so alarmed watching Darnold’s offensive line Sunday against the Bills that he might think twice about leaving Clemson. But then there’s Justin Fields, too).

Darnold had a new play-caller (Dowell Loggains) and a new rookie receiver (Denzel Mims) and a rookie running back who can turn the corner (La’Michal Perine), and it helped early.

But Sad Sam was helpless late, when the game was there to be won in the fourth quarter, which is when a franchise turns its lonely eyes to its quarterback to find a way to win, against all odds.

It was one ugly transformation from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde.

“It was just a total offensive thing,” Darnold said.

It was quite offensive.

Enlarge Image Sam DarnoldCharles Wenzelberg/New York Post

Darnold (12-for-23, 120 yards, 2 INTs) finished with a 31.0 quarterback rating. He was 10-for-11 for 107 yards at one point, for crying out loud! You do the math.

His offense totaled FOUR yards in the second half.

(Forgive anguished Jets fans if they started screaming FORE whenever Darnold dropped back to pass).

It was as if Adam Gase had reclaimed the play-calling after intermission.

“I think we just gotta adjust to their adjustments,” Darnold said.

SEE ALSO

image.gif.932ee58d1881b0158e4ef888253458e5.gif

Well, no disrespect intended, but the fellas not making adjustments to their adjustments won’t remind anyone of Bill Walsh, Sean Payton or Kyle Shanahan.

Of course it’s more than that. Either Darnold doesn’t see the field — never saw tight end Chris Herndon wide open over the middle once — holds the ball too long, is rattled and discombobulated by the blitz, or makes a poor decision and/or poor throw.

It was Jets 10, Bills 0 and the Tank For Trevor crowd was growing restless. Darnold’s shoulder, which cost him two games, wasn’t a problem. There was a perfectly placed third-and-20 completion to Braxton Berrios between two defenders on the left sideline for 22 yards before a failed fourth-and-1 run at the Buffalo 18 by Perine.

“I felt like we got in a rhythm,” Darnold said. “Besides the late second-quarter turnover that I had, I felt like I played pretty well in that first half.”

Except that the interception by Dane Jackson, called up Saturday from the practice squad no less, turned what could have been a 13-3 lead into a 10-6 lead by halftime.

SEE ALSO

image.gif.a2acf3d003485ca45e84a797817898f6.gif

“Should have moved on in the progression, but tried to force one in there … just didn’t work out for me,” Darnold said.

One fourth-quarter drive had been stymied by an illegal-formation penalty against Mekhi Becton that nullified a 14-yard completion to Herndon, and now Darnold had one last chance with 1:56 and one timeout left from his 25 after Gang Green had forced a sixth Tyler Bass field goal: Sack … personal foul against Micah Hyde for a downfield hit on defenseless Breshad Perriman … holding on George Fant … sack … deflected interception to Jerry Hughes.

“Defense did a good job giving us one last chance for a two-minute drive,” Gase said, “and they didn’t do anything with it.”

Patrick Mahomes and old friend Le’Veon Bell are up next. Everyone is well aware that you can’t beat Mahomes and the Chiefs kicking field goals. Josh Allen and the Bills showed us that you CAN beat Sam Darnold and the Jets kicking field goals.

40 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The Bengals were the 30th ranked scoring offense in the league last year.  One above the Jets.  The only significant pieces that they added on offense were Joe Burrow and Tee Higgins, a rookie WR.  Going into this week, they were ranked 23rd, a ranking that should go up given the production of their offense today.

The Bengals offensive line was ranked 26th last year.  They are currently ranked 31st in pass protection and will lower after this week.

This drastic crazy difference in talent and coaching, that you believe exists, is a total fabrication.  Joe Burrow is “thriving” and showing astronomical amounts of potential in a situation on par with Sam Darnold’s, maybe even worse.

”Nice try.”

Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

It totally sucks what has happened with Sam. 

It sucks for the Jets because we committed 3 years to this guy and either he doesn't take football seriously enough or he's just not smart.

Either way, feel sorry for the Jets, not Sam.  Sam gets to walk away with $30M and can retire.  We get stuck with another 3 year wait and have to invest in another college kid and that's no fun at all.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

The Bengals offensive line was ranked 26th last year.  They are currently ranked 31st in pass protection and will lower after this week.

This drastic crazy difference in talent and coaching, that you believe exists, is a total fabrication.  Joe Burrow is “thriving” and showing astronomical amounts of potential in a situation on par with Sam Darnold’s, maybe even worse.

”Nice try.”

Except the Bengals take shots downfield. They're competitive. They're trying things to help Burrow get better. And he appears to grasp it.It's moving forward. 

That is not happening here. They don't do much motion, which would help a smart QB figure out coverages, whether it's man or zone, try to give receivers a chance. They don't roll out, nor waggle. When they do RPO, Darnold is hesitant, On the 4th and 1 when it was a game, that was costly. Darnold doesn't audible off any of that, nor audible much at all. And while Gase is no prize, looks more and more like the Jets don't do those things because Darnold cannot do those things. Seems like a nice kid, but not sure he's all that different from Sanchez in the Big Picture. 

The guys who become great QBs are in many ways frankly heartless ruthless scumbags who would do anything to win. They want to score a TD every chance they get. They kind of guys who come off the field after failing to score and want to know why they didn't and what they can do to change it next drive.In a way they have a dog's memory about failure to the point it's not going to impact the next drive. Darnold right now looks totally lost.  Darnold doesn't have any of that. Casual surfer dude, comes from money, no idea, but what ever it is he doesn't have it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It sucks for the Jets because we committed 3 years to this guy and either he doesn't take football seriously enough or he's just not smart.

Either way, feel sorry for the Jets, not Sam.  Sam gets to walk away with $30M and can retire.  We get stuck with another 3 year wait and have to invest in another college kid and that's no fun at all.

SAR I

Darnold will be a backup and milk it for a few more years until he gets to interrupt surfing with Saturdays calling PAC10 games. All making him a very wealthy still young guy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Anyone who accuses Jets fans of being impatient also complains that glaciers move too fast.

Big Picture:  We've waited long enough.  We deserve a winner!

The Year We're In:  We are in Year 1 of a Gase/Douglas authored rebuild and its going to take more than 7 games to correct a decade of bad GM's, bad drafts, and bad signings.

"Impatient" refers to the latter.  SOJF's need to stop screaming for Gase's head or put Douglas on the hot seat.  They just got here.  They inherited this mess.  Support them while they clean it up.  Show a little (wait for it) patience.

SAR I

1 hour ago, jgb said:

JD is absolutely in on the tank. This may be the first time ever we've seen an actual, no-nonsense NFL team tanking without even trying to hide it. Best culture in sport!

Week 4.  Adam Gase, Gregg Williams, and Dowell Loggains sit in a room.  The coordinators tell him what he already knows-  they can't win with this team.  The paper-thin roster is decimated with injury, trades, opt-outs, soft tissue, missing the whole draft class, no receivers, there is nothing here to win with.  And Darnold is gone, again, and they can't live with his inconsistent play and they can't live with his lack of durability anymore.

So Gase takes it to Joe Douglas and Hymie Elhai-  Gase tells them its time to sell it off, time to get more draft collateral, time to tell 2020 to f-off, time to look to the next franchise quarterback opportunity.  Douglas is onboard because it's a good time to offload players.  Elhai is onboard because season ticket holders have no financial skin in the team in 2020 and probably 2021 too.  Together they go to Christopher Johnson, he says okay.

2020 is a mulligan for the New York Jets.  And with only 2021 to worry about, might as well get the #1 pick and a great quarterback for our trouble.

SAR I

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

”Nice try.”

But but but Joe Burrow has never played behind a bad OL.

Ignore that he's been sacked 28x in these first 7 games. Also ignore that the only decent guy on the line is a first year LT (totally an ideal situation for a young QB, and also one that bears no resemblance to the Jets). 

And Joe Mixon is averaging 3.6ypc. He missed the game today, but in his absence it seems Bernard really kept the defense honest on those 13 carries for 37 yards. 

Crazy how some fans could see Darnold gun shy, plus flat-out whiff on still more opportunities for easy TDs, and then still blame others more than him as though he's purely the victim here. Then with (presumably) a straight face, say in so many words that every good QB would be terrible here as well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Big Picture:  We've waited long enough.  We deserve a winner!

The Year We're In:  We are in Year 1 of a Gase/Douglas authored rebuild and its going to take more than 7 games to correct a decade of bad GM's, bad drafts, and bad signings.

"Impatient" refers to the latter.  SOJF's need to stop screaming for Gase's head or put Douglas on the hot seat.  They just got here.  They inherited this mess.  Support them while they clean it up.  Show a little (wait for it) patience.

SAR I

Bro. Gase is getting shot out of a cannon at the end of this year at latest. However, as the best pivot man in the business, you'll glom to the next gut and claim you were right all along. It's like I wrote the book.

• Haha 1

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

But but but Joe Burrow has never played behind a bad OL.

Ignore that he's been sacked 28x in these first 7 games. Also ignore that the only decent guy on the line is a first year LT (totally an ideal situation for a young QB, and also one that bears no resemblance to the Jets). 

And Joe Mixon is averaging 3.6ypc. He missed the game today, but in his absence it seems Bernard really kept the defense honest on those 13 carries for 37 yards. 

Crazy how some fans could see him gun shy, plus flat-out whiff on still more opportunities for easy TDs, and then still blame others more than him as though he's purely the victim here. Then with (presumably) a straight face, say in so many words that every good QB would be terrible here as well. 

We would still be terrible with Mahomes! Nothing matters! Good players change nothing!!

• Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Great post.  I don't expect an interim HC to save the day.  Just to prepare the team and coach competently.  I don't want to see the by product of Gase's philosophy week after week to the point of being an absolute embarrassment.  And how much more harm could be done to the team than what they have become under Gase:  The NFL's worst franchise?

Someone on the board wrote something recently that blew my mind.  To paraphrase,  the Johnsons have figured out that putting a good team on the field just doesn't matter that much because the fans still remain, buy the merchandise, etc.   It's a chicken sh*t philosophy.  But I think there is enough evidence over the years to believe that they might actually be following that course.

Oh yea that’s for sure true....just follow the Money....one of the highest valued franchise in all of sports despite the garbage we roll out year after year....they don’t even have to have clue about building a contender....or care for that matter...this is a cash cow for them regardless

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Bro. Gase is getting shot out of a cannon at the end of this year at latest. However, as the best pivot man in the business, you'll glom to the next gut and claim you were right all along. It's like I wrote the book.

If there was any real shot at Lawrence staying in school what'd seal the deal is if he & his family learn the Jets will not be firing Adam Gase. 

So many things are about perception. This is no different.

• There'll be a lot of such perception that Darnold was a great prospect who showed promise as a rookie despite the Bowles handicap, and then regressed under Gase.
  • Even if he could escape that perception, he can't when also faced with the damning turnaround from Tannehill. He was the QB who made a victim out of Gase, who was unfortunately saddled with the soft top 10 pick QB. Then Tannehill gets away from Gase and suddenly he's a top 5 QB. Moreover, he did it on an offense that was so bad I'm sure many Tennessee fans were then absolving Mariota for sucking. 

Right or wrong, and no matter how much it semi-absolves Darnold for not being a good QB in his own right, it'd be the height of stupidity to give Lawrence every impression that he will be a certain bust if he gets drafted here.

Firing Gase is a no-brainer. Keeping Gase would be a no-brains'er.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Oh yea that’s for sure true....just follow the Money....one of the highest valued franchise in all of sports despite the garbage we roll out year after year....they don’t even have to have clue about building a contender....or care for that matter...this is a cash cow for them regardless

I think the Johnson’s care and are terribly embarrassed.  They come from a real blue blood lineage and think themselves Rockefellers from the gilded age.  Woody seems acutely aware of being on the shadow of a “Great family name” which he has tried to live up to but without any of the hard earned lessons of business. 

He wants to do big things but is too inept to deliver. Look no further than the west side stadium debacle and the monstrous Xanadu perversion and air conditioning unit (MetLife Stadium) that came out of it.  

he’s been in a circle of great men his whole life, private schools, summers in Europe, ambassadorships via family connections and donations, he is burning to feel validated in that world - he just has no ******* clue what he’s doing. 

Chris seems better, more down to earth, more willing to seek help. I liked his leader ship on social justice and I love the Joe Douglas hire.

Joe Douglas needs to be our Luke Skywalker and overcome the evil Empire.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If there was any real shot at Lawrence staying in school what'd seal the deal is if he & his family learn the Jets will not be firing Adam Gase. 

So many things are about perception. This is no different.

• There'll be a lot of such perception that Darnold was a great prospect who showed promise as a rookie despite the Bowles handicap, and then regressed under Gase.
  • Even if he could escape that perception, he can't when also faced with the damning turnaround from Tannehill. He was the QB who made a victim out of Gase, who was unfortunately saddled with the soft top 10 pick QB. Then Tannehill gets away from Gase and suddenly he's a top 5 QB. Moreover, he did it on an offense that was so bad I'm sure many Tennessee fans were then absolving Mariota for sucking. 

Right or wrong, and no matter how much it semi-absolves Darnold for not being a good QB in his own right, it'd be the height of stupidity to give Lawrence every impression that he will be a certain bust if he gets drafted here.

Firing Gase is a no-brainer. Keeping Gase would be a no-brains'er.

Agreed. I understand the bandwagon is trendy now, but if we can land an exciting head coach (and why wouldn't we with the #1 pick) and present the plethora of draft picks in the coming years I think we are a reasonable destination. 

• Upvote 2