Tampa Bay All In

jgb

1 minute ago, RobR said:

When a team goes all in with aging veterans to win the ultimate prize it never works out and TB will be no different.

I mean they look really good right now. They’ve definitely put themselves in good position to at least compete for the NFC championship game 

Mahomes feels like he's having an off year but he's still pretty much at the top in every stat and yet people are starting to forget about him because he's not completely dominating.  15 TDs and 1 INT going into this week.  It's not even human what he's doing.  At some point he's going to fire up the bat-engines and it'll be game over for everyone not named Russ Wilson, who might have a shot to keep pace.  Brady is amazing, and he has a great team around him but I'd be really surprised if he kept pace with Mahomes and Wilson all season.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RobR said:

When a team goes all in with aging veterans to win the ultimate prize it never works out and TB will be no different.

They're not all old though. Brady and AB, ok old. But they have stud WRs already in their prime and fournette is still young-ish.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Mahomes feels like he's having an off year but he's still pretty much at the top in every stat and yet people are starting to forget about him because he's not completely dominating.  15 TDs and 1 INT going into this week.  It's not even human what he's doing.  At some point he's going to fire up the bat-engines and it'll be game over for everyone not named Russ Wilson, who might have a shot to keep pace.  Brady is amazing, and he has a great team around him but I'd be really surprised if he kept pace with Mahomes and Wilson all season.  

regression to mean. when you're elite, your regression is still better than our magic QB years (e.g., Vinny 1998, Fitz 2015).

8 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

True I guess Wilson or Mahomes. But Brady has 17 td passes not even at midway point of season yet 

If I had to vote now, I would probably go with Wilson.  He gets no help from his defense, but makes every play he needs to make to keep winning games. 

But a guy who at least deserves a mention (and never gets one) is Derrick Henry.  As much credit as Tannehill gets, that offense runs through Henry.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

They're not all old though. Brady and AB, ok old. But they have stud WRs already in their prime and fournette is still young-ish.

I should have been clearer. They are trying to buy a championship with older players like Brady, Gronk, and now AB. The only time I remember a team buying a championship was the 1994 NY Rangers.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RobR said:

I should have been clearer. They are trying to buy a championship with older players like Brady, Gronk, and now AB. The only time I remember a team buying a championship was the 1994 NY Rangers.

But it’s not like they look like crap, they look pretty dominant 

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Fair, fair. It is amazing how a GOAT QB makes all your moves work out, though.

3 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Meanwhile, in New England...

Does this end the Brady/Belichick debate?

Yeah, I think it does.  Brady is still showing that he is a star QB.  Maybe the best ever (did I really type that?) 

And imagine being in Edelman's shoes?  Guy was all world with Brady throwing to him.  Now?  Not much happening.  Almost irrelevant, even though I think he's a phenomenal player.

• Upvote 1

Said it before, they’re a top 3 team.  Probably the most talented team in the NFL top to bottom.  They had some injuries and continuity problems, but what was holding them back were mostly self inflicted wounds like penalties. Once Brady and Gronk got acclimated to the system, it was just a matter of time.

Unlike Seattle and GB, they actually have a really talented D.  Of course come crunch time in the cold, things might change for them in a hurry.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Yeah, I think it does.  Brady is still showing that he is a star QB.  Maybe the best ever (did I really type that?) 

Two different offensives and Its only been half a season and the debate is over in Week 7...like we aren't even waiting to they both retire first..just go game by game.huh..

The argument is over already. Having Brady was like having your OC on the field itself! 
Unlike Darnold who’s starting to look like he’s as dumb as a box of rocks, Brady retains everything. 
He can completely control a game on offense, THAT THE REASON the Pats never lost leads in the 2nd half. 

14 hours ago, munchmemory said:

And imagine being in Edelman's shoes?  Guy was all world with Brady throwing to him.  Now?  Not much happening.  Almost irrelevant, even though I think he's a phenomenal player.

I disagree. 

Brady played almost 2 decades with Belichick. He owes his career to belichick's tutelage. 

What it does prove, however, is that Brady is far from washed. Most, including Belichck himself, might have envisioned a decline in his play. We're not seeing that. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, RobR said:

1997 marlins

2001 diamondbacks

2004 red sox

I'm sure there are more but it's never happened in the NFL.  Most of the talent they had was returning talent and adding the best QB of all time has taken them from mediocre to what looks like great so far.