Deion Sanders joins the Trevor Lawrence refusing to play for the Jets bandwagon

Jetsbb

2 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Thats stupid af, New York is the biggest market in the world, a team that will have a brand new coach, a stud at LT, and plenty of money to give him weapons. Im sure he will pass on that to play for the Jacksonville Jaguars

Yeah people forget that Eli did not want to play for the Chargers because San Diego was the smallest market in the NFL. It's all about money and Trevor makes more in New York than anywhere but maybe Dallas.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Dion is just another loud mouth POS  from NFL.com. like Michael Irvin. If TL has any sense he'd do just the exact opposite of what ever Dion suggests.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Sanders never went away. Hes like herpes.

Deon wants Lawrence in Atlanta.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Again, Elway had leverage because not only was he drafted into the MLB but he was drafted by the Yankees. There was a very real chance that he could have chosen to go that route. 

Eli didn't want to play for the Chargers because back then there was no rookie pay scale and picks had to negotiate with the teams to come to terms on their first contracts. The Chargers owners were notorious for not wanting to pay market rate and the Manning's felt they couldn't get the deal that Eli was worth. It had nothing to do with the play of the team or the other players, it was strictly money motivated. Their fears played out because Rivers had to hold out for more than half of camp in order to get a deal signed. That's why Brees started the season. 

So bottom line is that the BIG 2 examples that people like to recall in the last 40 years have situations that don't exist currently. Last I checked Lawrence wasn't drafted by the Yankees, and with the Rookie pay scale, Trevor doesn't have to worry about getting paid. 

There is a reason that these things haven't happened since Eli, step off the ledge people. 

100% dead on. Even on the small chance he does try and tell us he wants to be traded , you draft him anyway . Let him hold out as long as he wants, who cares he has no leverage once we draft him . Jim Kelly once said he would never play for the Buffalo Bills . This is a non story . 

20 minutes ago, Francis Sawyer 37 said:

Sanders never went away. Hes like herpes.

Deon wants Lawrence in Atlanta.

Another great point , these athletes all have motives . And Barstool who posts these articles every day wants no part of TL on the Jets . People need to remember that sports media is the original fake news . They were all fake newsing before anyone heard the term . 

• Upvote 1

Having the number 1 pick should make candidates at least a little more willing to come here and interview. The cardinals, for example, got Kliff Kingsbury because if he took the job, he knew he’d also get Kyler Murray. The Cardinals were coming off a 3 win season when they made that hire. And yes I know they’ve been more competitive recently than the jets but from that 3 win season to today, the cards are now competing for the division...

if the jets can find the right head coach to pair with TL, I don’t think he’s running away from this team or the 40 million they’d be paying him.

• Upvote 1

I dont know if he would opt to stay in college or not but there is one thing I can tell you for certain. If T Law decides to stay in school because he refuses to play for the Jets, I am done with this franchise. Not because I am a Lawrence lover (I'm not), but that moment would truely show you that players just don't want to be here because of the constant sh*t show that is the Jets. Idiot owners, clueless coach, and not one of us thinks they will ever make the right decisions. Sam is another quarterback ruined due to the lack of football people surrounding him. Seeing ghosts you say? Maybe Sam is deaf, because I'm pretty sure we hired the quarterback whisperer?

Sent from my SM-G973U using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, Jolot said:

100% dead on. Even on the small chance he does try and tell us he wants to be traded , you draft him anyway . Let him hold out as long as he wants, who cares he has no leverage once we draft him . Jim Kelly once said he would never play for the Buffalo Bills . This is a non story . 

Yes.

John Elway had leverage of a legitimate baseball career. 

Jim Kelly had legitimate leverage of the USFL he could turn to.

Eli Manning had a football oligarchy behind him that would provide empathy from the NFL fandom.

Lawrence has none of those. One of the most pathetic things in life are supposedly grown, mature people providing career advice to someone whom they have no influence nor attachment with. The majority, I presume have never met or talked with him. Just seen him on TV. I would also bet that the majority of them have never met Joe Douglas or the Johnson family.

If you are thinking of drafting him, you have JD go down and talk with him and talk the vision. JD, from every encounter is a football lifer who lived in the trenches, worked his way through the league and seems down home. You send Joe Namath down to talk with him and let Joe speak about NY, and if you win there, the world is your oyster. You will have every opportunity afforded you.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Another great point , these athletes all have motives . And Barstool who posts these articles every day wants no part of TL on the Jets . People need to remember that sports media is the original fake news . They were all fake newsing before anyone heard the term . 

These sports commentators make a living off creating controversy and beating a dead horse with a dead horse.

They are akin to women on Facebook gossiping and stirring up trouble because thats what they do and it makes them happy.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Thats stupid af, New York is the biggest market in the world, a team that will have a brand new coach, a stud at LT, and plenty of money to give him weapons. Im sure he will pass on that to play for the Jacksonville Jaguars

The whole, the jets are in the biggest market in the world argument for guys wanting to play here is not a good one. Some guys don't want all the media attention. Some guys don't want to live under the bright lights of NY. I'd be willing to bet a ton of players wouldn't consider this team based on location and media attention alone. Jacksonville is the exact opposite of NY, some guys would much rather play in a small market where they aren't under a microscope 24/7.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, extmenace said:

The whole, the jets are in the biggest market in the world argument for guys wanting to play here is not a good one. Some guys don't want all the media attention. Some guys don't want to live under the bright lights of NY. I'd be willing to bet a ton of players wouldn't consider this team based on location and media attention alone. Jacksonville is the exact opposite of NY, some guys would much rather play in a small market where they aren't under a microscope 24/7.

So, do you know which Trevor is?

7 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

I agree.  I get that our current situation and personnel suck, but what coach and/or QB wouldn't want to come in and be the Hero.  Football is the ultimate team sport, but a new leader can come in and change the culture, and motivate mold and inspire.  I don't think JD is finished acquiring draft picks, so we should be in an amazing situation come next draft and season.  I just feel bad for Sam Darnold.

Just now, extmenace said:

I don't. Not a single bit but neither do you. The kid is from Tennessee though...I'd say that Jacksonville may be a more familar type of place to live than the concrete jungle of NY.

Right, so what you are doing is exactly what these "high profile" people are doing, and that is projecting your feelings onto someone you have no association with.

Do you know what EVERYONE likes? Being dealt with directly, in a forthright manner with honesty. As I said in the other thread, Joe Douglas seems to have all those "down home" qualities. You get in front of him and even spell out the vision. Heck, even get the Johnson's in front of him and see what charities he likes to be involved with. The Johnsons can help in that regard and set something up in his name. You get Joe Namath to talk with him. From small Beaver Falls, PA. Went to school in the south. Tell him about all the good things about NY. tell him about the suburbs, if that is what he likes.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, extmenace said:

Practically, weather and taxes are real deterrences as well. And in this global market and social media, even if he wanted to be the biggest star in the world, he could do it from anywhere. He doesn’t need to be in NY.

All that being said, I think it’s absolute garbage that he’ll turn the Jets down. I’m honestly more worried about the HC situation than him nixing the Jets. To me, the real TL question is whether JD will even want him, or whether he’ll want to trade down with whoever is #2 for a haul and Fields.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Right, so what you are doing is exactly what these "high profile" people are doing, and that is projecting your feelings onto someone you have no association with.

Do you know what EVERYONE likes? Being dealt with directly, in a forthright manner with honesty. As I said in the other thread, Joe Douglas seems to have all those "down home" qualities. You get in front of him and even spell out the vision. Heck, even get the Johnson's in front of him and see what charities he likes to be involved with. The Johnsons can help in that regard and set something up in his name. You get Joe Namath to talk with him. From small Beaver Falls, PA. Went to school in the south. Tell him about all the good things about NY. tell him about the suburbs, if that is what he likes.

I'm not projecting anything. I didn't say he would or wouldn't come here because he'd have to live in NY or because of the media attention. What I was trying to get at is that you made that a positive when its very possible that he could consider that a negative aspect of playing here. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, extmenace said:

I'm not projecting anything. I didn't say he would or wouldn't come here because he'd have to live in NY or because of the media attention. What I was trying to get at is that you made that a positive when its very possible that he could easily consider that a negative. 

All I did was say how you help him make the decision.

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Because it’s so much better to go to a 3 win team? 

If his spine and resolution are so thin that he wants to stay away from the spotlight, it is better that we find that out before an engagement. I get the feeling that is not his make-up though. He seems to enjoy the spotlight and perform in the spotlight.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Guess no one remembers when Favre was going to stop the deal because hes a country boy.  The Jets showed him around the rural NJ areas that he would actual live in, hunt in, whatever he would like to do.  They won Favre over,

Dion Sanders?  I remember him being an ass clown as a player, why would anyone care what he says? I know some Jets fans are hoping that Lawrence turns the Jets down, like all those #1s who were going to turn the Browns down. I remember when they asked Darnold if he would turn the Browns down if they picked him.  All the people who told potential picks to turn their backs on the Browns

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If his spine and resolution are so thin that he wants to stay away from the spotlight, it is better that we find that out before an engagement. I get the feeling that is not his make-up though. He seems to enjoy the spotlight and perform in the spotlight.

Everyone who doesn’t want to come to this disaster is not automatically weak, a coward, or a low character guy. Last 3 QBs who refused to bow to the NFL’s anti-competitive hiring practices have 6 rings between them. Plus why are we assuming it doesn’t also take cajones to tell the NFL to stick it you will influence the process to go where you want? That also takes chutzpah.

Just now, jgb said:

Everyone who doesn’t want to come to this disaster is weak, a coward, or a low character guy. Last 3 QBs who refuses to bow to the NFL’s anti-competitive hiring practices have 6 runs between them. Plus why are we assuming it doesn’t also take cajones to tell the NFL to stick it you will influence the process to go where you want? That also takes chutzpah.

Please tell me the leverage that he has? Those other players you mentioned had leverage.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Please tell me the leverage that he has? Those other players you mentioned had leverage.

The same leverage all humans have. The right to withhold their labor. Again, I think he will sign and play where drafted (#1). But all this stuff about how he’d be a coward loser to tell the Jets to stuff it is just wrong.