With Season Long Over, Jets Focus now on Finding Players to Move Forward With

JetNation

Mekhi Becton

As any Jets fan knows, the team’s 2020 season was over by around halftime of their week 2 blowout loss to the San Francisco 49ers backups.  It was clear at that point that they were heading for a Kotite-like year and Adam Gase hasn’t disappointed.  It’s looking more and more as if this Jets team will go 0-16 while earning the “worst points differential in NFL history” award at the conclusion of the season.  So why should any fans tune in for the remainder of the 2020 season?  Because believe it or not, despite the embarrassing record, there are a handful of players worth watching.

LT Mekhi Becton: Let’s get the most obvious name out of the way, shall we?  Becton has been a stud from the day he arrived and is tossing NFL players aside with shocking regularity.  It was one thing to see him do it in college, but in the NFL?  He wasn’t supposed to be able to do it this frequently, this often or this easily.  Becton alone is worth tuning in to watch on Sundays.

DL Quinnen Williams: The fantasy football community has always been down on Williams because he won’t get you any fantasy points, but he has always shown flashes of being a game changer and we’re seeing it on a more consistent basis this year.  He’s among the NFL’s best run stuffing D-linemen and will likely finish the season with 7 or 8 sacks despite regularly playing just 55-65% of the snaps on defense.  This Sunday against Buffalo he tied for the team lead with 5 QB pressures, picked up a sack and made some incredible plays against the run.  Still just 22 years old, Williams is a future All-Pro.  Let the fantasy football folks keep complaining, just keep the kid in Green and White.

WR Denzel Mims: It was only one game (actually one half) but Mims came away with four receptions for 42 yards.  He’s a long, explosive receiver who figures to be a piece for the Jets to heavily rely on for years to come.

DL John Franklin-Myers: Because the Jets are so terrible, it’s easy to overlook the fact that they actually have something very positive going on in any facet of the game, but they actually do.  Franklin-Myers has been a revelation at defensive tackle and at times as looked like an excellent half of a special duo between him and Williams.  Just this Sunday the pair combined for 10 quarterback pressures 1 sack, 3 QB hits and a tackle for loss.  Franklin-Myers shows great hands and has proven to be a tough assignment for opposing blockers.

OLB Bryce Huff: Huff is no John Abraham, but despite limited reps, he has shown he can play in the NFL.  We’ve seen him pressure the quarterback, look solid in coverage in the early going.  At this point, the Jets would probably be best served by letting Huff take as many reps away from Jordan Jenkins as possible. Huff has seen 15 or more snaps just three times this season and has picked up a sack and three tackles for loss.

WR Breshad Perriman: Why would we include a struggling veteran on a one-year deal?  Because the Jets need as much help on offense as they can get.  With the entire offense being a disaster at the moment, it’s easy to write Perriman off, but we’ve seen him do a good job getting separation of late.  If Sam Darnold can get in any kind of groove, Perriman could get enough looks to earn another contract with Gang Green.

The post With Season Long Over, Jets Focus now on Finding Players to Move Forward With appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
gR5vMLboC1Y

Click here to read the full story...

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

WR Breshad Perriman: Why would we include a struggling veteran on a one-year deal?  Because the Jets need as much help on offense as they can get.  With the entire offense being a disaster at the moment, it’s easy to write Perriman off, but we’ve seen him do a good job getting separation of late.  If Sam Darnold can get in any kind of groove, Perriman could get enough looks to earn another contract with Gang Green.gR5vMLboC1Y

This seems like a real long shot.   Perriman has been mediocre at best, has been injured on his own accord with soft tissue injuries, and is now hurt after an illegal hit vs. Buffalo.  He's on a one-year "prove it" type deal and he ain't proving nuthin' so far.  Saving a few bucks by pivoting to Perriman instead of working harder to bring Robby Anderson back seems like one of JD's biggest whiffs so far.  With tons of $$$ next year and Perriman no longer under contract I'd be shocked if he's one of the guys the Jets choose to bring back.  There should be other options.

• Upvote 3

Just now, jetstream23 said:

This seems like a real long shot.   Perriman has been mediocre at best, has been injured on his own accord with soft tissue injuries, and is now hurt after an illegal hit vs. Buffalo.  He's on a one-year "prove it" type deal and he ain't proving nuthin' so far.  Saving a few bucks by pivoting to Perriman instead of working harder to bring Robby Anderson back seems like one of JD's biggest whiffs so far.  With tons of $$$ next year and Perriman no longer under contract I'd be shocked if he's one of the guys the Jets choose to bring back.  There should be other options.

I mostly agree.  These guys signed 1 year deals for a reason.  JD scouted him when he was in Baltimore, which obviously is a huge reason he's here in the first place.  But it seems doubtful he considers him an important piece going forward.  Otherwise why not sign him to a 2 or 3-year deal from the outset?

Then again, after the year he's had, Perriman should come cheap once again.  He looked good this past week prior to his concussion, and I think he could be a valuable WR3/WR4 for our next QB and HC.  

• Upvote 1

Perriman has all but played his way off the team already. There were concerns about his ability to stay on the field and that's been the case. And he's not looked all that impressive in the limited time he's had.

It may be a case where we're just desperately lacking other options but we absolutely can't afford to cheap again at the position - If he is to be resigned it should be for less and alongside someone better. Get the best WR on the market - Get Allen Robinson. Draft another with one the top 35 picks. Stack the position. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jago said:

Mann,  Perine, is ADavis showing a glimmer? 

Maybe just quality depth but Hewitt looked great Sunday.  And Bless Austin is worthy of a roster spot and can fill in as a spot starter should we be fortunate enough to find two CBs better than him.  Poole and Desir have been inconsistent but could also be that type of guy.  We probably need to keep Austin and one of the others.

And Maye.  Maye is a keeper because we honestly don't even have another safety on the team.  Doesn't matter that he'll be overpaid.  He is better than any guy we could likely bring in to replace him.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Maybe just quality depth but Hewitt looked great Sunday.  And Bless Austin is worthy of a roster spot and can fill in as a spot starter should we be fortunate enough to find two CBs better than him.  Poole and Desir have been inconsistent but could also be that type of guy.  We probably need to keep Austin and one of the others.

And Maye.  Maye is a keeper because we honestly don't even have another safety on the team.  Doesn't matter that he'll be overpaid.  He is better than any guy we could likely bring in to replace him.

We need them to bring up Hall at CB and see what he has, even if that means Desir gets much less playing time since we have tried Jakson and Guidry and need to know if Hall is head over heals better than they are. Also need to get Zuniga in there. Huff is getting good, but we need to see what Zuniga can do. Play the kids even Clark at OG where we have injuries there and inconsistent play with Roten.

• Upvote 3

This is what the next 9 games are going to be for. Even Perriman deserves a look. He may be hard to keep on the field but he looked to have decent hands.  And darnold should be on the list too. Lawrence is not a sure thing at this stage.  Lots can happen between now and January. And it sure sounds like they’re bringing a new coach and staff. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Regardless of QB, he has major durability issues. 

Sure, but that isn't a good enough reason to say he "sucks".  He's shown enough promise from the final 5 games of the '19 season to now to suggest to me he's a worthwhile WR3/WR4 to have around.  He was playing well on Sunday prior to his injury.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, but that isn't a good enough reason to say he "sucks".  He's shown enough promise from the final 5 games of the '19 season to now to suggest to me he's a worthwhile WR3/WR4 to have around.  He was playing well on Sunday prior to his injury.

Perhaps 

color me skeptical 

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Was thinking same thing Perriman Has been a waste of space and money. Keep Crowder and sign a non injury prone bust. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

we now have afrigginPerrimanapologist club? cherry picking 5 games out of a 4yrs 1st rnd bust?

11 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

That list was too long. Becton, Williams, and Mims I can roll with. The rest is all extremely speculative garbage. It's so unbelievably sad that approximately 3 players is the entire talent base for this sh*t team.

Sorry you haven't taken the time to watch Franklin-Myers this season.  He has been outstanding.  Huff is also 5th among rookies in QB pressures with 8 despite very few reps.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I’d add Fatukasi as a definite keeper.  Probably will never be an elite star, but will be a competent to good starter in this league for years.

Edoga is also quietly having a good season after last years nightmare campaign.  He is a perfectly good backup and I think he could push Fant for the starting position next year.

Berrios is the other guy who is also having a semi decent season.  Now I get it, fans hate him bc he’s not a guy who will ever be a WR1, but he is a cheap player, with special teams value that is outplaying his contract and is a young borderline starter at slot in this league.  Believe it or not he leads the jets wrs in séparation by a good amount.

• Upvote 1

We need to see Clark. Van Rotten sucks, Alex Lewis is injury prone, has bad shoulders & should be a backup. JD needs to target Thuney, Stanley, or Scherff. Get any one of those guys, hope Clark can play & your set with Fant & Edoga fighting it out for the RT spot, and draft another Center with maybe that 2nd rounder this year. Can finish the Oline IN 2021!!! 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

We need to see Clark. Van Rotten sucks, Alex Lewis is injury prone, has bad shoulders & should be a backup. JD needs to target Thuney, Stanley, or Scherff. Get any one of those guys, hope Clark can play & your set with Fant & Edoga fighting it out for the RT spot, and draft another Center with maybe that 2nd rounder this year. Can finish the Oline IN 2021!!! 

Added a note to the article a few seconds after publishing that we need to see Clark and Zuniga on the field because they can also be contributors moving forward.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sign Thuney, draft Creed Humphrey/Josh Myers with the Seattle 1st rounder, and move McGovern over to RG where he’s better suited anyway.

LT Becton

LG Thuney

C Humphrey/Myers

RG McGovern

RT Fant/Edoga

I feel pretty damn comfortable about putting a prized young QB behind that line. Should open up some nice lanes for a Najee Harris/Perine duo as well.

Agreed. As bad as this season has been it’s all about the young guys now. JD has the ammunition to build this team in his way, which is to build the lines. 
3 things we need to do in 2021. 
1- FINISH THE OLINE 

2- WEAPONS- WEAPONS- WEAPONS! Even if JD had to move around to secure a Najee Harris & a Pitts he should do it! I want Allen Robinson or Juju. 
3- Pass rushers!!! This is the new NFL! The rules make it too difficult to stop a TOP QB. Only way you get off the field on 3rd down is with pressure. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Perriman had an ankle and now a concussion, when did he miss game time with a soft tissue injury?  

Camp hammy I think?

Offence

QB - None that matter

HB - Perrine

WR - Mims, Crowder, Berrios

TE - LOL 

LT - Becton, Lewis, Clark, Edoga, McGovern (stuck with)

Defence

DL - QW, Fatukasi, Franklin-Myers

OLB - Huff, Basham

ILB - Mosley (Stuck with)

CB - Austin, Poole

S - Maye, Davis

-------------------------------------------

There's the players you build around, either through choice or necessity - A sorry list to be sure. No one else on the roster worth thinking about other than the punter. I'd probably pick one of Maye/Poole to pay rather than keeping them both. Would be happy with either tbh. 

Basically leave that defensive group to rot. Let Mosley be the big name addition he was supposed to be two years ago and invest everything significant around the new QB.

I mean I guess we could sign Perriman back as a WR3-4 option if he is willing to take less money. Chris Herndon is also probably one of the guys who sees an increase in production after they get away from Gase a la Tannehill. So there is that to look forward to.

8 hours ago, Losmeister said:

we now have afrigginPerrimanapologist club? cherry picking 5 games out of a 4yrs 1st rnd bust?

Calling someone a decent WR3/WR4 isn't exactly a glowing endorsement.  Especially since he was once a 1st round pick.  You expect more out of a guy like that. 

Just telling you what I've seen.  When on the field as a Jet, he's looked like a decent WR3/WR4 to me.  His most recent results (2019-present) have been pretty good.  I don't really care about how big of a bust he was. 

If cheap, that's a guy you don't mind keeping around, but if not cheap, you let him walk.  Right now he's the # 41 WR in terms of salary.  If we can bring him back even cheaper (possible, given the lowering cap), then I'm fine with that.  If not, see ya.  Sign someone like Demarcus Robinson instead.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Yeah, he missed something like 2-3 weeks leading up to Week 1 with a hamstring injury.

I get that but sitting out with a hammy and missing camp time, as a vet is a bit different and didn’t cost him playing time

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Calling someone a decent WR3/WR4 isn't exactly a glowing endorsement.  Especially since he was once a 1st round pick.  You expect more out of a guy like that. 

Just telling you what I've seen.  When on the field as a Jet, he's looked like a decent WR3/WR4 to me.  His most recent results (2019-present) have been pretty good.  I don't really care about how big of a bust he was. 

If cheap, that's a guy you don't mind keeping around, but if not cheap, you let him walk.  Right now he's the # 41 WR in terms of salary.  If we can bring him back even cheaper (possible, given the lowering cap), then I'm fine with that.  If not, see ya.  Sign someone like Demarcus Robinson instead.

only saying that cherry picking stats is a bad way to go.

ithink perriwinkle can be a serviceable 3/4 if he stay onthe ******* field whcih he apparently cannot.

i thjought his signing was EXACTLY tobe a #3.

double down on the last part.