Playing out the string.

Torus34

The New Jersey Jets have 5 more games to play. A quick check of their opponents for weeks 13-17 is not exactly encouraging. The probability of the Jets joining that select group of teams which have played a winless season will increase with each passing week.

Go, Jets! 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 11

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

i like this post

Yes it is garbled like it was created by google translate 

but deep down I think this bot wants the Jets to win games

just like me 

all the other humans have reprogrammed themselves to translate losses as wins, firings as super bowls and dirty diapers as caviar. 

Do you really want them to win?  Honest question.  I really don’t see how any rational fan could want a win this year when the cost will be the #1 pick. 

Regardless of whether you think Trevor Lawrence is generational, Fields is better, etc.  - there is definite value of having the #1 pick this year specifically.  

1-15 or 2-14 is doing nothing to change the culture of the team.  We will have a new coach, a bevy of new players, and no one will remember whether we won 0, 1, or 2 games in 2020 five years from now.

What they will remember is if Trevor Lawrence is Peyton Manning for the Jaguars because the Jets beat the Browns Week 16 in 2020.

I want the Jets to have the number 1 pick because the only hope we have is that Joe Douglas actually knows what he is doing, and will take the QB of his choice with the pick.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

Do you really want them to win?  Honest question.  I really don’t see how any rational fan could want a win this year when the cost will be the #1 pick. 

Regardless of whether you think Trevor Lawrence is generational, Fields is better, etc.  - there is definite value of having the #1 pick this year specifically.  

1-15 or 2-14 is doing nothing to change the culture of the team.  We will have a new coach, a bevy of new players, and no one will remember whether we won 0, 1, or 2 games in 2020 five years from now.

What they will remember is if Trevor Lawrence is Peyton Manning for the Jaguars because the Jets beat the Browns Week 16 in 2020.

I want the Jets to have the number 1 pick because the only hope we have is that Joe Douglas actually knows what he is doing, and will take the QB of his choice with the pick.

My opinion is this:

It just doesn't matter because, well, Jets.

Screwing things up since 1969.

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i like this post

just like me 

all the other humans have reprogrammed themselves to translate losses as wins, firings as super bowls and dirty diapers as caviar. 

I was once dealt a two of diamonds, a six of clubs, a ten of spades, a 3 of clubs and coupon for Applebees but by God, I said I am not folding this hand or changing any of these cards. Turned it into a Royal Straight Flush with my fighting spirit and boundless enthusiasm.

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i like this post

just like me 

you made me laugh, but serious question - Are you hoping for 5-11? 

1 hour ago, WhartonJet said:

rationally a meteor could arrive from an supervised section of space and wipe the whole place out before 2021 or 2025 or whenever this sh|tburger of a roster is supposed to be good again

2020 has taught us all we we don't have as much time as we think we do for unending rebuilds 

and rationally ive seen "generational" prospects at every position turn out to be garbagio in the NFL 

my brain is full of names that went nowhere 

is Trevor Lawrence really LeBron James? Is that the scouting report? I'm not being sarcastic. It's a real question.  I don't know. Does anyone? For sure? 

People said Sam Darnold was a savior too and bought the jerseys 

I'm not sure that rationally 1 player can turn around any franchise in the NFL. It's not the NBA. It's a 53 man roster and it becomes about building a program.

People do remember the winless teams, by the way.  They always remember the biggest failures 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I was once dealt a two of diamonds, a six of clubs, a ten of spades, a 3 of clubs and coupon for Applebees but by God, I said I am not folding this hand or changing any of these cards. Turned it into a Royal Straight Flush with my fighting spirit and boundless enthusiasm.

the thing about poker is... that's exactly what a person can do with a well timed bluff

winning with an applebees receipt is more thrilling than winning AA vs KK 

reminds me of a 30rock joke... the crew is all gathered for a raffle based on playing cards

pete says "4 of clubs, that's lucky because it's Paula's nickname for my penis" 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the thing about poker is... that's exactly what a person can do with a well timed bluff

reminds me of a 30rock joke... the crew is all gathered for a raffle based on playing cards

Clearly an all-in moment in that case

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Yeah, but Bit, they keep SCORE in football. How do you think we got into this mess in the first place?

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

you made me laugh, but serious question - Are you hoping for 5-11? 

id take it, under the correct circumstances

i.e. QB1 playing his body parts off, D playing lights out, the FG kicker making kicks etc

it's better than putting all your hopes on a dude that looks like Sunshine 

and losing your way to winning

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

rationally a meteor could arrive from an supervised section of space and wipe the whole place out before 2021 or 2025 or whenever this sh|tburger of a roster is supposed to be good again

2020 has taught us all we we don't have as much time as we think we do for unending rebuilds 

and rationally ive seen "generational" prospects at every position turn out to be garbagio in the NFL 

my brain is full of names that went nowhere 

is Trevor Lawrence really LeBron James? Is that the scouting report? I'm not being sarcastic. It's a real question.  I don't know. Does anyone? For sure? 

People said Sam Darnold was a savior too and bought the jerseys 

I'm not sure that rationally 1 player can turn around any franchise in the NFL. It's not the NBA. It's a 53 man roster and it becomes about building a program.

People do remember the winless teams, by the way.  They always remember the biggest failures 

Where can I buy a jersey for the meteor?

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Torus34 said:

The New Jersey Jets have 5 more games to play. A quick check of their opponents for weeks 13-17 is not exactly encouraging. The probability of the Jets joining that select group of teams which have played a winless season will increase with each passing week.

Go, Jets! 

Torus. My dad used to say that to all the old Jews in the neighborhood. They taught him all kind of words in Hebrew. Torus. Think it means azzhole in Hebrew. ??‍♂️

50 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i.e. QB1 playing his body parts off, D playing lights out, the FG kicker making kicks etc

Sure, in that specific scenario, I'd be in as well. But we aren't in that scenario. We are watching our #3 overall pick, supposed franchise QB completely sh*t the bed, to the point that his 35 year old backup is clearly better. 

I was really happy we finished 6-2 last season. I thought it meant something. But, as usual, it didn't. We didn't build any appreciable "winning culture" because it turns out that we don't have the right coach or the right QB in the building. I want that to change. Bottom line? Getting the number 1 pick gives us the best chance to upgrade at QB, and presumably, to attract a decent coach. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Not sure who’s more obnoxious at this juncture- you or SAR1.  Ok it’s a tie. 

11 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Back in the 60s, we'd drive Hylan Blvd. to the end of SI.   Once you got past Oakwood, it was wide open until Mt. Loreto  and looked like you were upstate. 

In the 70's Hylan Blvd was basically a race track from Mt Loreto to the end of Hylan Blvd, which was the Conference House, a revolution era landmark 2 miles away about.  In the early 80's some kids (not me) threw rocks and broke a bunch of windows in the Conference house, so they moved the end of Hylan blvd back 1/4 mile, which was where my house was.  Problem is they didnt put any lights up or huge signs announcing the road ends.  People used to racing that strip had a waist high concrete and metal and barrier greet them going full speed 1/4 mile before they thought the end of the road was.  Must have been over 50 accidents the first year that was up.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

In the 70's Hylan Blvd was basically a race track from Mt Loreto to the end of Hylan Blvd, which was the Conference House, a revolution era landmark 2 miles away about.  In the early 80's some kids (not me) threw rocks and broke a bunch of windows in the Conference house, so they moved the end of Hylan blvd back 1/4 mile, which was where my house was.  Problem is they didnt put any lights up or huge signs announcing the road ends.  People used to racing that strip had a waist high concrete and metal and barrier greet them going full speed 1/4 mile before they thought the end of the road was.  Must have been over 50 accidents the first year that was up.

I have stood at water's edge before that barrier was built where you'd look over at NJ.  Know exactly the area where your house was located.  Really takes me back.  We had family in Oakwood.  And I have a distant memory of going out there to visit them as a small child and getting off the SIRT at street level which was a dirt road.   Before the bridge, SI was still very rural in parts.

• Sympathy 1