What happens if Fields outplays Lawrence tonite?

1 minute ago, Icer said:

The point is there's no reason why you need to be afraid of drafting a QB because the team isn't ready. There is never a perfect time to make that choice, you make the choice when the opportunity presents itself.

I'm not afraid of anything I just don't think drafting QB at 2 is nearly as cut and dry as people make it out to be. 

18 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I'd rather trade down out of 2, get a kings ransom in picks, then draft SEWELL. Select a QB but later in the draft.

1) Sewell, Devonta Smith, Najee Davenport

or,

2)Trevor Lawrence

or,

3) Justin Fields

If those were your 3 options, which would you take?

25 minutes ago, Lith said:

This.  We are picking 2.  There will be a QB on the board with the skill set that you look for in today's NFL.  Dual threat, big arm, accuracy, makes progressions.  Sometimes a little slow in moving fromr ead 1 to read 2, but that can be coacched up.  We also have at least 4 more picks in the top 100.  Maybe even 5 if we can get a day 2 pick for Darnold.

No need to overthink this.  Take the QB at 2.  We still have plenty of picks and cap space to build around our guy.  But the most important decision still neeeds to be made before either the draft or free agency roll around.  We have to get this coaching decision right and then everything else might actually fall in place.  

I can't believe I am saying this because it goes against every fiber of my Jet fan being, but we are in a good spot right now.  I just hope we don't f**k this up.

TOTALLY AGREE ABOUT COACHING DECISION BEING PARAMOUNT

Not interested in dual threat.

1. Football IQ

2. Pinpoint Accuracy

3. Cannon Arm

4. Size

5. Poise

6. Pocket Awareness

7. Good Character

8. Has hot girlfriend

9. Makes Good Coffee

10. Can Run

Edited by Dunnie
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

This.  We are picking 2.  There will be a QB on the board with the skill set that you look for in today's NFL.  Dual threat, big arm, accuracy, makes progressions.  Sometimes a little slow in moving fromr ead 1 to read 2, but that can be coacched up.  We also have at least 4 more picks in the top 100.  Maybe even 5 if we can get a day 2 pick for Darnold.

No need to overthink this.  Take the QB at 2.  We still have plenty of picks and cap space to build around our guy.  But the most important decision still neeeds to be made before either the draft or free agency roll around.  We have to get this coaching decision right and then everything else might actually fall in place.  

I can't believe I am saying this because it goes against every fiber of my Jet fan being, but we are in a good spot right now.  I just hope we don't f**k this up.

Agreed, you don't draft a QB when you're ready, you draft a QB to get ready.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'll be coming back to you for Mega Millions #s if no one hits tonight lol

That I probably can’t help you with, but last nights game wasn’t a surprise at all.   This wasn’t an elite Clemson team.  The O-line has been pretty bad the entire year and the depth at receiver has been poor.   Defensively up front they are very young and the defensive backs, particular the safeties have been dreadful.

All in all this is was a good thing though, there needs to be a little more humility from this program going forward.   Too many of these players think that just because they have the Paw on their helmet that they are entitled to Championships.  This starts with Dabo himself, who has run his mouth more this year than in previous years.  Some of the players antics on the field at times are foolish.   Hopefully it’s a wake up call, especially for Dabo.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That I probably can’t help you with, but last nights game wasn’t a surprise at all.   This wasn’t an elite Clemson team.  The O-line has been pretty bad the entire year and the depth at receiver has been poor.   Defensively up front they are very young and the defensive backs, particular the safeties have been dreadful.

All in all this is was a good thing though, there needs to be a little more humility from this program going forward.   Too many of these players think that just because they have the Paw on their helmet that they are entitled to Championships.  This starts with Dabo himself, who has run his mouth more this year than in previous years.  Some of the players antics on the field at times are foolish.   Hopefully it’s a wake up call, especially for Dabo.

Agreed...Dabo showed a lot of hubris and borderline immaturity...and for DC Venables kid to be playing on this team is a joke...he flat out stinks. 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

This take is looking good so far!

In the interest of honesty, I'm eating some serious crow right now. I didn't think Fields stood a chance. I really didn't. 

However, last night's game does NOT change my stance. Trevor Lawrence is still the no brainer #1 overall with Fields (based on last night's performance) behind but not far. That was a very valiant effort on his part.

The real Justin Fields, at least for me, did show up last night. That interception he threw in the end zone was a very bad decision. He had complete disregard for the coverage. I don't even think he saw the defense. We can also add that to all of the mindless plays he made against Indiana and Northwestern. Add that to the fact that everyone is successful as a QB at Ohio ST yet no one ever has success in the NFL? There's something to be said, for a hugely successful SYSTEM playing against amateur teams.

So I haven't changed my mind.

There's a part of me that wants to draft a QB to put in a straight up competition against Sammy in camp? I still think Sammy is the real deal. I firmly believe that. But I do think it would foolish to simply give him the job. Being the best QB on an NFL organization is about PROVING it every year IMO.

But then I think about all of the teams needs and OL being the very biggest of all. Penei Sewell is a plug and play franchise tackle. He's staring us in the face and I just don't think we should turn down that opportunity.

So if you're keeping score you already know if the Jets take Sewell they're not getting Fields. By the time the Jets would be picking next in the 20's Fields is long gone.

So I'd take a QB but I would select a QB that you 100% believed could be a franchise QB but you don't have to waste a top 5 pick on. 

I simply do NOT believe Justin Fields is worthy of the 2nd overall pick for the reasons I already listed. Take it for what it's worth, and I reserve the right to rip into Fields lovers after the national championship concludes.

34 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Agreed...Dabo showed a lot of hubris and borderline immaturity...and for DC Venables kid to be playing on this team is a joke...he flat out stinks. 

Venables is only playing because Skalski got ejected for targeting.   This defense on the back end has been undisciplined all year, the safeties have been beaten like drums continuously.  Last night it was magnified due to the increased level of competition.  Day and Fields executed a wonderful gameplan.  

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

or,

2)Trevor Lawrence

or,

3) Justin Fields

This is not real possibility. Trevor Lawrence is still the consensus #1 overall. Last night's game changes nothing IMO. I have complete confidence The Jags take Lawrence #1. 

As for the Jets I want Sewell at #2.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Agreed, you don't draft a QB when you're ready, you draft a QB to get ready.

Hopefully JD doesnt pull a Macc who made multiple mistakes in regard to the QB position.  Macc stayed with Geno Smith, signed Fitz to a ridiculous contract, reached for Hackenberg who was branded a bust before he was even drafted, got suckered by the Colts to move up and take Darnold.  JD is in prime position to grab a QB.  This opportunity will not here again and JD's in his 3rd year.  He has to find his QB NOW.  Darnold has shown he isn't an elite QB. He can be decent with the right support.  He's more like Trent Dilfer/Brad Johnson than Aaron Rodgers/Drew Brees.  His ceiling is Philip Rivers, and that's an insult to Rivers.  Whatever JD does: takes a QB @ 2 or trades back, he will take a QB in the 1st round. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

I have been vocal about my criticism of fields, well he shut me down last night with that game 

@QB1

@56mehl56

@slats

And any other pro fields dudes out there I'm eating crow and happy to be wrong. This is a crow eating post 

The bets still come down to whether Douglas is in the tank for Darnold. Now you just feel worse when you win.

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I have been vocal about my criticism of fields, well he shut me down last night with that game 

@QB1

@56mehl56

@slats

And any other pro fields dudes out there I'm eating crow and happy to be wrong. This is a crow eating post 

That was as big a performance as any prospect can have and if he does it again vs Bama in 10 days he might be worth 1

Imagine if Jacksonville hires urban Meyer as is rumored. He recruited fields. 

I'm at the point where I can accept all 3 of these options. Either fields at 2, TL at 2 or Sewell at 2 are all legit.

As long as they don't trade down cause this team needs stars 

I've got some leftovers from backing Darnold for 2.5 years. Bon Appetit. 

crow.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

This is not real possibility. Trevor Lawrence is still the consensus #1 overall. Last night's game changes nothing IMO. I have complete confidence The Jags take Lawrence #1. 

As for the Jets I want Sewell at #2.

We will let JD know.

2 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

You really must have something against Fields. That interception was tipped - he was throwing it out of the end zone. You don't take a left tackle when you have the best young left tackle in the league - it's a poor use of assets. Our line has also been playing well as of late. We will add a free agent, pick up a G in the 3rd round and be set there. We have plenty of young guys on the line that need to play. You have a QB that showed leadership, guts, toughness and excellent accuracy and ability to scan the field. It was an all time performance on a big stage. Add to that he's fast as hell, very athletic, can buy time in the pocket, and is a very smart kid - what more could you ask for? Fields has been highly touted for a long time. He had a couple of bad games in his entire career - most recently with a badly injured thumb and one game with 22 teammates out of the lineup. He's showed more poise, athletic ability and accuracy than TL. Fields is not a fast riser - he's always been considered the best QB after TL. He may end up as the better pro - we'll see.

Agreed...this anti Fields stuff is becoming tortured logic and confirmation bias.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jethead said:

or,

2)Trevor Lawrence

or,

3) Justin Fields

1. Trevor Lawrence

2. Justin Fields

3. Darnold + Sewell, et all.

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

In the interest of honesty, I'm eating some serious crow right now. I didn't think Fields stood a chance. I really didn't. 

However, last night's game does NOT change my stance. Trevor Lawrence is still the no brainer #1 overall with Fields (based on last night's performance) behind but not far. That was a very valiant effort on his part.

The real Justin Fields, at least for me, did show up last night. That interception he threw in the end zone was a very bad decision. He had complete disregard for the coverage. I don't even think he saw the defense. We can also add that to all of the mindless plays he made against Indiana and Northwestern. Add that to the fact that everyone is successful as a QB at Ohio ST yet no one ever has success in the NFL? There's something to be said, for a hugely successful SYSTEM playing against amateur teams.

So I haven't changed my mind.

There's a part of me that wants to draft a QB to put in a straight up competition against Sammy in camp? I still think Sammy is the real deal. I firmly believe that. But I do think it would foolish to simply give him the job. Being the best QB on an NFL organization is about PROVING it every year IMO.

But then I think about all of the teams needs and OL being the very biggest of all. Penei Sewell is a plug and play franchise tackle. He's staring us in the face and I just don't think we should turn down that opportunity.

So if you're keeping score you already know if the Jets take Sewell they're not getting Fields. By the time the Jets would be picking next in the 20's Fields is long gone.

So I'd take a QB but I would select a QB that you 100% believed could be a franchise QB but you don't have to waste a top 5 pick on. 

I simply do NOT believe Justin Fields is worthy of the 2nd overall pick for the reasons I already listed. Take it for what it's worth, and I reserve the right to rip into Fields lovers after the national championship concludes.

I appreciate you owning it.

At the same time, I'm struggling with any QB take from posters who have watched "Sammy" since the Rose Bowl, and still think he's capable of anything more than what we've already seen.  None of us know what Fields will become with any certainty, but, the question is, do we believe he's a meaningful upgrade over the worst QB in the NFL over the past three years, statistically.  There's enough evidence to say yes.  And, as for poor decision making, how can one be a fan of "Sammy," and judge others poor decision making.  Because, "Sammy" makes a ton of poor decisions, without any of the upside you saw with the whole 6 TDs thing.

As for Sewell - Hard to imagine a worse use of resources than that pick.  We've already drafted a pretty good LT in Becton, so, you're either drafting a RT in Sewell, or moving Becton to RT.  So, your not upgrading LT in a meaningful way, you're upgrading RT, a position that you don't spend the #2 overall pick on.  Not only that, with all the problems on this roster, you're upgrading RT over a guy, in Fant, who wasn't all that bad.  But wait, that's not all!  Which one plays RT?  Which one voluntarily takes the huge paycut in their second contract, as a RT vs. the far more premier LT?  So, you create a financial problem for one of these players and certainly a locker room issue.  Either one, asked to play RT, should immediately ask for a trade.

Ultimately, your plan is absurd though, you have to see this right?  You select someone you "absolutely believe can be a franchise QB," but not "waste a top 5 pick on."  How often do you find someone you "absolutely believe is a franchise QB" outside of top 5, and why would someone you "absolutely believe is a franchise QB" not worth top 5.

Lastly, "rip into" anyone you like.  No one, as far as I've seen, is calling Fields, a flawless prospect.  They're saying he looks good, and we're sitting at 2 with the leagues worst QB in "Sammy," and this guy gives you a reasonable possibility of improving upon that.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

At the same time, I'm struggling with any QB take from posters who have watched "Sammy" since the Rose Bowl, and still think he's capable of anything more than what we've already seen.  None of us know what Fields will become with any certainty, but, the question is, do we believe he's a meaningful upgrade over the worst QB in the NFL over the past three years, statistically.  There's enough evidence to say yes.  And, as for poor decision making, how can one be a fan of "Sammy," and judge others poor decision making.  Because, "Sammy" makes a ton of poor decisions, without any of the upside you saw with the whole 6 TDs thing.

As for Sewell - Hard to imagine a worse use of resources than that pick.  We've already drafted a pretty good LT in Becton, so, you're either drafting a RT in Sewell, or moving Becton to RT.  So, your not upgrading LT in a meaningful way, you're upgrading RT, a position that you don't spend the #2 overall pick on.  Not only that, with all the problems on this roster, you're upgrading RT over a guy, in Fant, who wasn't all that bad.  But wait, that's not all!  Which one plays RT?  Which one voluntarily takes the huge paycut in their second contract, as a RT vs. the far more premier LT?  So, you create a financial problem for one of these players and certainly a locker room issue.  Either one, asked to play RT, should immediately ask for a trade.

Ultimately, your plan is absurd though, you have to see this right?  You select someone you "absolutely believe can be a franchise QB," but not "waste a top 5 pick on."  How often do you find someone you "absolutely believe is a franchise QB" outside of top 5, and why would someone you "absolutely believe is a franchise QB" not worth top 5.

Lastly, "rip into" anyone you like.  No one, as far as I've seen, is calling Fields, a flawless prospect.  They're saying he looks good, and we're sitting at 2 with the leagues worst QB in "Sammy," and this guy gives you a reasonable possibility of improving upon that.

This part about Sewell specifically is tremendous.  I have been searching for a good way to express my thoughts about that possibility, but you did it exactly.  Bad use of a premium resource.  Not because of Sewell the player.  Well said!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Superb post...does anyone want another year of Sammy in the postgame repeating the tedious "I've got to play better."

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This part about Sewell specifically is tremendous.  I have been searching for a good way to express my thoughts about that possibility, but you did it exactly.  Bad use of a premium resource.  Not because of Sewell the player.  Well said!

I am very wise.