Todd Bowles to interview with Lions

Thai Jet

I wasn't a fan of Todd Bowles, so this doesn't come as a Bowles apologist. He is not a bad head coach, but I don't think that he is necessarily a good coach either based on what I saw with the Jets. Some second time head coaches grow from being fired and taking a demotion. If he gets to assemble his own coaching staff and works well with the GM, I could see him becoming a respectable head coach. He had Macc as a GM. Think about that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Agree 100%

Ultimately, a lot of a coaches success depends on the GMs ability to bring in talent.   A good coach can squeeze a few extra wins out of a roster. 

Vince Lombardi doesn't win 8 games with this year's Jets roster.

His issues were mostly game management, half time adjustments, and players not showing up for games.....he had way more problems as a HC then talent.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I wasn't a fan of Todd Bowles, so this doesn't come as a Bowles apologist. He is not a bad head coach, but I don't think that he is necessarily a good coach either based on what I saw with the Jets. Some second time head coaches grow from being fired and taking a demotion. If he gets to assemble his own coaching staff and works well with the GM, I could see him becoming a respectable head coach. He had Macc as a GM. Think about that.

Your last sentence is why teams are interviewing Bowles!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, undertow said:

His issues were mostly game management, half time adjustments, and players not showing up for games.....he had way more problems as a HC then talent.

Agree.

He had a lot to learn and did not maximize what he had here, and hopefully he has learned a lot with BA.   He will also need talent, which Detroit doesn't always provide.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Think since Bowles left it has been reported that Mac never ONCE essentially consulted with Bowles about the draft.

Not Once!!!

Madness! 

Mac was one the worst GMs in the NFL for the last twenty years!!!

Macc wasn't a bad GM, he is in the running for absolute worst. I twisted myself into a pretzel trying to convince myself that Macc had a good plan, and I fully accept that I was DEAD wrong about him. If it's true that he selected players without the nod from Bowles, that would cement Macc as the worst ever.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Agree.

He had a lot to learn and did not maximize what he had here, and hopefully he has learned a lot with BA.   He will also need talent, which Detroit doesn't always provide.

Yeah if he gets another job he should make sure it's a good situation with lots of support...not Detroit. lol

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Macc wasn't a bad GM, he is in the running for absolute worst. I twisted myself into a pretzel trying to convince myself that Macc had a good plan, and I fully accept that I was DEAD wrong about him. If it's true that he selected players without the nod from Bowles, that would cement Macc as the worst ever.

Its macc, matt millen, and really old Al Davis as the 3 worst i can remember 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I agree except for Rex. I don't think he was all that good. His overload blitzes got figured out pretty quick. Take away his time with the Ravens who had a D full of HoF players and he hasn't much of a resume to look at. Here's an article looking a the numbers. Examining Rex Ryan’s Reputation

The big difference between Rex and Bowles is that Rex when he first got to the Jets had a GREAT veteran Staff while Bowles had the WORST staff in the NFL and it wasn't close!!! 

Think Rex had ---- Callahan, Anthony Lynn, Westoff, Pett, Sutton, Thurman and yes Schotty...

If Bowles had Rex's staff he would have been I believe successful with the Jets. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

You are SO off base. The term "cigar store Indian" refers to Bowles lack of ANY emotion during games. Much like a Cigar store Indian.  Wooden, without feeling. 

The cigar store Indian itself is a racist trope. What happened to the Indians? It's not good 

From Wikipedia "People within the Native American community often view such likenesses as a caricature or as depictions that perpetuate stereotypes, drawing an analogy to the African-American lawn jockey." 

Someone who thinks it's appropriate to compare the current NFL head coach to a brown wooden statue knows what they are saying and needs to update their vocabulary at the least. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Good for Coach Bowles.  

While he certainly didn't work out here, I don't have any ill will towards him.  Good luck to him if he gets another opportunity.

Agree. Despite everything Coach Bowles seems like a genuinely good guy. Best of luck to him.

• Upvote 1

Unpopular opinion: Bowles was underwhelming his last couple years here, but Mike Maccagnan was the bigger problem here.....he went 10-6 with actual NFL talent on our roster....

Worse coaches have gotten 2nd chances.....He’s well regarded in the league so he may get a 2nd chance in the near future. I wish him the best!

29 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The cigar store Indian itself is a racist trope. What happened to the Indians? It's not good 

From Wikipedia "People within the Native American community often view such likenesses as a caricature or as depictions that perpetuate stereotypes, drawing an analogy to the African-American lawn jockey." 

Someone who thinks it's appropriate to compare the current NFL head coach to a brown wooden statue knows what they are saying and needs to update their vocabulary at the least. 

Don’t even bother.....the closet bigotry around these parts at times is laughable ?

• Upvote 2

Good defensive mind but not HC material. There are a ton of guys who were great coordinators but flopped as HC, it takes a special kind of lunacy to run the entire operation

What really soured me on him here was his stubbornness to stick with his hand picked assistants even when they weren't up to par, like Kacy Rodgers.

1 hour ago, carlito1171 said:

Unpopular opinion: Bowles was underwhelming his last couple years here, but Mike Maccagnan was the bigger problem here.....he went 10-6 with actual NFL talent on our roster....

Worse coaches have gotten 2nd chances.....He’s well regarded in the league so he may get a 2nd chance in the near future. I wish him the best!

Only problem is when Maccagnan announced he was taking Adams with Mahomes and Watson still on the board, NOBODY in the room broke anything nor threw his phone across the room, nor screamed at him that he was a blasted fool. And that NOBODY includes Bowles. 2016 Jets HAD NO OFFENSE. 

10 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Only problem is when Maccagnan announced he was taking Adams with Mahomes and Watson still on the board, NOBODY in the room broke anything nor threw his phone across the room, nor screamed at him that he was a blasted fool. And that NOBODY includes Bowles. 2016 Jets HAD NO OFFENSE. 

Ok....so your one knock is that Bowles along with the rest of the staff didn’t act like unprofessional, petulant children when Mac was busy lighting our dumpster on fire? ?

Vine Ok GIF

15 minutes ago, Icer said:

What really soured me on him here was his stubbornness to stick with his hand picked assistants even when they weren't up to par, like Kacy Rodgers.

This I def agree with......Rodgers was a “coffee fetcher” anyways but I think firing John Morton after one year as OC but keeping Kacey on was a huge mistake 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

You are SO off base. The term "cigar store Indian" refers to Bowles lack of ANY emotion during games. Much like a Cigar store Indian.  Wooden, without feeling. 

Thank you for clearing up the witch hunt. He is not native american indian either, so the whole accusation is baseless but the poster probably felt good about himself while typing that racist trash

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Ok....so your one knock is that Bowles along with the rest of the staff didn’t act like unprofessional, petulant children when Mac was busy lighting our dumpster on fire? ?

Vine Ok GIF

That somebody didn't freak the f__ out, yes. Groupthink isn't thinking at all. 2016 Jets had Fitzmagic, Geno and Petty as their QBs, and were 30th in points scored. Their offense was NONCOMPETITIVE. Sitting there while Coffee Boy picks a f___ing safety and then smiling about it means you have NO BUSINESS being an NFL HC. 

That single IDIOTIC decision has set this franchise back roughly 8 seasons at least. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/2016.htm

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

The big difference between Rex and Bowles is that Rex when he first got to the Jets had a GREAT veteran Staff while Bowles had the WORST staff in the NFL and it wasn't close!!! 

Think Rex had ---- Callahan, Anthony Lynn, Westoff, Pett, Sutton, Thurman and yes Schotty...

If Bowles had Rex's staff he would have been I believe successful with the Jets. 

Who puts the staff together? Bowles, Gase, and Rex all had BFFs on their staff.

• Upvote 1

This isn't even slightly surprising to anyone who was paying attention.  He's highly regarded throughout the league, and despite his failure with the Jets, that was made pretty apparent throughout his time here, and as much was regularly reported.

He always seemed likely to be one of those guys to get himself interviews again after some time back down on the coordinator level.  Doesn't mean I'd want him here, or that he'll even land another job, but getting consideration is not even slightly surprising to those willing to look past their own bitterness towards him.

Let's not forget, the completely justified firings of Herm, Mangini, and Rex didn't stop each from getting the opportunity to ultimately do even worse with other teams at the same job, so that should tell you how much the rest of the league thinks about a coach's success with the Jets.