Do we have enough evidence to trust, or not trust JD?

16 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Yes, what a wonderful world where a history of being wrong most of the time means nothing and shouldn't inform the present. 

Yeah, because even if I was wrong about Macc and Gase, and I wasnt, you know, people are never wrong on a message board.  They can never be right after being wrong.   Shouldnt be allowed to post.  Everyone should just go home

Almost 30,000 posts and I may haver been wrong about something?  Wow, thanks for that insight, I had no idea.  

22 hours ago, ljr said:

waayyyyyy too early to say

for the next 4 years he can lock himself in his office, dress up as Barney the purple dinosaur, play and dance around to the Y-M-C-A song on repeat over and over again, and j*rk-off all day to photos of barnyard animals and he'd still be better than the last 2 $h*theads we've had ... so that is good.

---

His maneuvering before, during, & after the draft is excellent.  He seems to be in charge and implementing his plans rather than just letting the draft board fall where it may to him.

His moves with Mims looked like he had several players in mind with equal/close value and was willing to group target rather than just go after 1 player

He punched a "from the ground up" total rebuild on his timecard to start his tenure which we needed

He seems to have "big picture" foresight in attempting to build a team, not just grabbing shiny new pieces and sticking them on his roster.

Becton has been a huge success at a huge need position

He looks to have planned ahead with Jamal in drafting his replacement ... then the value he was able to get in that trade was outstanding.

His working the payroll has been outstanding in positioning up for moves from here on.

His (and Christopher) getting Saleh at HC was a big win

---

However

He failed to support Darnold last year

The Fant contract was a mistake, an over-reaction to missing out on his first 2 choices at OL

Letting Robbie go (I admit to being against overpaying him at that time) was a mistake

Not doubling-down on WR in rounds 3-5 was a mistake.  Going backup QB seems to be a luxury pick that we were not in a position to do yet

Not having better help on the interior line was a whiff

As of now,

Other than Becton, we are yet to see enough from his picks to know if they were successful or not

We are yet to see the new pieces he bring onto the roster through free-agency and other teams cutdowns.

---

so in sum

we are wayyyyy too early to say good or bad

Nice Job!

/End Thread

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't think there is evidence to be too certain either way. The Adams trade was amazing but it's also worth noting that all parties leading up to it let that situation get out of hand. Becton looks good but as of now Wirfs looks like the guy, maybe that changes. The D Thomas trade was bad but the 2022 draft late round upgrades will probably lead to some sort of decent trade into the mid rounds next Spring. Firing Gase was fine but I don't understand the point of letting him finish out the season if they had made that decision a month prior. If winning 2 of their last 3 wasn't going to help him keep his job then why not just fire the guy and help ensure Lawrence? 

I dunno. Some good some bad. It's still a roster full of tomato cans. Hopefully that changes but with Woody back in the mix it's hard to fathom he won't stick his beak into things eventually.

Wasn't that the point?  They were losing pretty well with Gase.  If it aint broke, don't fix it.  I get that Gase may have felt he was "coaching for his job" but wouldn't an interim coach do the same?  I think teams often have that bump when they switch coaches and win a game or two. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Wasn't that the point?  They were losing pretty well with Gase.  If it aint broke, don't fix it.  I get that Gase may have felt he was "coaching for his job" but wouldn't an interim coach do the same?  I think teams often have that bump when they switch coaches and win a game or two. 

It's almost freaky how that happens.

ATL fired Quinn after 0-5, Morris wins his first game.

DET fired Patricia after 4-7, Bevell wins his first game.

HOU fires O'Brien after 0-4 start.  Crennel wins his first game.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

They were millimeters within wins multiple times. The team was playing their asses off leading up to the LA game. It was obvious they were going to luck into a win with the way they were playing at least to oh I dunno anyone that’s been watching the Jets for the last 25 years

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They were millimeters within wins multiple times. The team was playing their asses off leading up to the LA game. It was obvious they were going to luck into a win with the way they were playing at least to oh I dunno anyone that’s been watching the Jets for the last 25 years

Okay Mr. Same Old Jets,  do you see a scenario where the switch coaches and don't win a game?  Maybe if they promoted Gregg Williams after the Raiders debacle.  At that point the league probably takes the pick. 

He has been god awful so far, shown no evidence that he is capable. The Becton pick anyone could’ve made, it’s not like he magically discovered him out of no where.

the offence he gave Darnold last year shows he hasn’t got a plan, I don’t see any strategy, gm with half decent strategies don’t throw in a 36 year old rb as a starter. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2021 at 8:20 AM, FidelioJet said:

Not nearly enough information but, if I had to choose - he's trending toward not trusting.

With that said, he did set himself for a huge off-season though - and can knock it out of the park.  I am hopeful he will.

This is it. JD needs to make an impactful difference this year. He has extra picks and cash to sign FA’s.  JD really needs to sign some top tier FA’s instead of these below average ones.  His 1st year hire was a total waste of time by the Johnsons.  Who hires a GM AFTER the draft. Only Jets. Time to stamp your mark JD. I want at least 2-3 top FA’s in these 4 positions. CB, Edge, OL, WR

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

This is it. JD needs to make an impactful difference this year. He has extra picks and cash to sign FA’s.  JD really needs to sign some top tier FA’s instead of these below average ones.  His 1st year hire was a total waste of time by the Johnsons.  Who hires a GM AFTER the draft. Only Jets. Time to stamp your mark JD. I want at least 2-3 top FA’s in these 4 positions. CB, Edge, OL, WR

Agreed.  His first year he couldn't do a whole lot of anything - not on him..  I believe his second year he simply wanted to just completely clean house. (at least I hope that was his plan - because if he was trying to build a winner we're in trouble) 

This is the year he has to start to build.  This off-season will make or break his career.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed.  His first year he couldn't do a whole lot of anything - not on him..  I believe his second year he simply wanted to just completely cleaned house. (at least I hope that was his plan - because if he was trying to build a winner we're in trouble) 

This is the year he has to start to build.  This off-season will make or break his career.

JD has years of being prepped for this gig.  Haven't been thrilled with his FA choices.  Extremely sub par.  He did a nice job in the draft minus the  strange choice with the 4th round pick.  It's time for JD to get radical and mold this team instead of putting cheap band aids on it.  

Great Line - LOL

I believe his second year he simply wanted to just completely cleaned house. (at least I hope that was his plan - because if he was trying to build a winner we're in trouble) 

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2021 at 6:16 AM, ljr said:

waayyyyyy too early to say

for the next 4 years he can lock himself in his office, dress up as Barney the purple dinosaur, play and dance around to the Y-M-C-A song on repeat over and over again, and j*rk-off all day to photos of barnyard animals and he'd still be better than the last 2 $h*theads we've had ... so that is good.

---

His maneuvering before, during, & after the draft is excellent.  He seems to be in charge and implementing his plans rather than just letting the draft board fall where it may to him.

His moves with Mims looked like he had several players in mind with equal/close value and was willing to group target rather than just go after 1 player

He punched a "from the ground up" total rebuild on his timecard to start his tenure which we needed

He seems to have "big picture" foresight in attempting to build a team, not just grabbing shiny new pieces and sticking them on his roster.

Becton has been a huge success at a huge need position

He looks to have planned ahead with Jamal in drafting his replacement ... then the value he was able to get in that trade was outstanding.

His working the payroll has been outstanding in positioning up for moves from here on.

His (and Christopher) getting Saleh at HC was a big win

---

However

He failed to support Darnold last year

The Fant contract was a mistake, an over-reaction to missing out on his first 2 choices at OL

Letting Robbie go (I admit to being against overpaying him at that time) was a mistake

Not doubling-down on WR in rounds 3-5 was a mistake.  Going backup QB seems to be a luxury pick that we were not in a position to do yet

Not having better help on the interior line was a whiff

As of now,

Other than Becton, we are yet to see enough from his picks to know if they were successful or not

We are yet to see the new pieces he bring onto the roster through free-agency and other teams cutdowns.

---

so in sum

we are wayyyyy too early to say good or bad

This is pretty much how I feel. But I would give JD even more slack. I think he was committed to a proper roster rebuild and that prevented him from signing a top dollar WR or O-lineman on a long contract. I think RT was an exception b/c its such a critical position and Fant has an out in his contract this year (also he was pretty solid and WAS NOT the reason this O-line struggled- just as a sidenote). He should have brought back Robbie but who knows how that negotiation went, I'm sure Robbie was asking for much more than fans think. In general, JD tried to create a 'patch-work' of low-cost, short-term FAs to protect/support Sam while he, essentially planned to 'gut' and 'rebuild' the roster. I think his biggest mistake was whiffing on a lot of those short-term signings. Who can forget Ryan Kalil. Desir. Perriman. 

The Morgan pick looks like a mistake in hindsight, for sure. But think about it this way. If the Jets won 6-8 games but Sam still looked like he regressed and the Jets were not is such a great position to take a FQB, the Morgan pick would have looked like great foresight. Suddenly you can afford to trade Darnold and sign a vet while Morgan competes with said vet for a potential starting or backup spot and we actually see what we have in him. Or you run it back with Darnold and you don't feel this immense pressure to re-sign him in 2022 because you have a young QB behind him. Just some food for thought. 

Another sidenote on Fant. I think the Fant signing gives the Jets a ton of options THIS year. He has an out in his contract and they can cut him and save about 9mil if they want. But they have quite a bit of cap room and as I said he was solid as a starter at RT. They can see how FA and the draft play out (as I understand it) and make a decision on him. Keeping him may be well worth the 9mil price tag, which I know is steep. Having that spot on the O-line addressed can be HUGE as JD tries to fill other holes on the roster in the draft and FA. One great example is that starting caliber OTs go much earlier in the draft than OGs. So if JD wants to address O-line through the draft, knowing that he can target a Guard in the middle rounds rather than a tackle in the early rounds makes a huge difference. That early round pick can be used on a Pass Rusher, WR, etc.      

• Upvote 1

On 2/18/2021 at 8:11 AM, slats said:

Joe Douglas seems to command a lot of respect around the league, as does Robert Saleh. These are different hires than the Jets have made in the past, where the top candidates use the Jets to bump up their price and then they sign elsewhere. The Jets actually landed their #1 guys at GM and HC this time around, both guys who could have their pick of jobs. 

So yeah, I trust in them - not that I have much of a choice, anyway, but I do. 

Well said. This is how I see it for the most part. All of our hires in the past took at least some sort of justification to by pass certain negatives. Even Rex had that piece where his own team didn't choose him as the HC when they had the chance. Idzik, Macc, Groh, Bradway, Herm, Mangini. They all came with a sack of negatives we had to outweigh with all the positives we can find. 

JD and Saleh came with 1 neg each. They are first timers. Rookies. That's it. There isn't a shred of negative press on either of them and we need to realize how incredible that is in today's NFL. 

I trust JD and understand completely that there will be misses as he builds the team. Hanging on the Morgan pick, for example, as a reason to point out he is lost just doesn't carry as much weight with me. 

13 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Well said. This is how I see it for the most part. All of our hires in the past took at least some sort of justification to by pass certain negatives. Even Rex had that piece where his own team didn't choose him as the HC when they had the chance. Idzik, Macc, Groh, Bradway, Herm, Mangini. They all came with a sack of negatives we had to outweigh with all the positives we can find. 

JD and Saleh came with 1 neg each. They are first timers. Rookies. That's it. There isn't a shred of negative press on either of them and we need to realize how incredible that is in today's NFL. 

I trust JD and understand completely that there will be misses as he builds the team. Hanging on the Morgan pick, for example, as a reason to point out he is lost just doesn't carry as much weight with me. 

Didn’t Idzik come in as a well respected FO guy good with cap/contract understanding? His negative was never running a draft room. Hard to believe that hire in hindsight. Him & MacDaddy set us back 5 years.

I totally believe in JD. yes, he made several mistakes in free agency last year, letting Robbie go the most glaring,but he also didn’t sign any crazy contracts-don’t think he saw much value in the free agents of last year. Bechton was not a no brainer in the draft. High upside but a bit of a gamble. Waiting on Mims was also a gamble that paid off. Think Davis with seasoning will be good. The only draft pick I hated was the Qb in the fourth. Zuniga and Clark might still work out. Hard to tell since they lost most of the season to injuries.I think that JD will prove to be a better evaluator of talent than any other GM we have had before including Parcells.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

15 minutes ago, vic said:

I totally believe in JD. yes, he made several mistakes in free agency last year, letting Robbie go the most glaring,but he also didn’t sign any crazy contracts-don’t think he saw much value in the free agents of last year. Bechton was not a no brainer in the draft. High upside but a bit of a gamble. Waiting on Mims was also a gamble that paid off. Think Davis with seasoning will be good. The only draft pick I hated was the Qb in the fourth. Zuniga and Clark might still work out. Hard to tell since they lost most of the season to injuries.I think that JD will prove to be a better evaluator of talent than any other GM we have had before including Parcells.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

How has waiting on Mims paid off? He hasnt played.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Didn’t Idzik come in as a well respected FO guy good with cap/contract understanding? His negative was never running a draft room. Hard to believe that hire in hindsight. Him & MacDaddy set us back 5 years.

not really.   That was the spin to try and make it a positive.  He may have had some positives but make no mistake he was the best of the turds we had available due to forcing Rex on the GM. Everyone knew that was a futile attempt at a career move.  No one else was going to hire Idzik to be their GM.

• Upvote 1