Forum Upgrade – Back Online

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Oh I wasn't sure if you meant it was taking you longer to scroll to change what username you were logged under.  :)

Someone else mentioned this, I am going to take a look and talk to the designer.

Basically he gave me a price on the dark mode theme and I agreed to do that. So now I am compiling feedback and I will have him adjust the existing theme as well. I do appreciate all the feedback, most of this we can incorporate. So keep the thoughts coming everyone, thanks.

See my comments.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Oh I wasn't sure if you meant it was taking you longer to scroll to change what username you were logged under.  :)

Someone else mentioned this, I am going to take a look and talk to the designer.

Basically he gave me a price on the dark mode theme and I agreed to do that. So now I am compiling feedback and I will have him adjust the existing theme as well. I do appreciate all the feedback, most of this we can incorporate. So keep the thoughts coming everyone, thanks.

Also, be sure to categorize your feedback. Listen to what works and what died t work. Here are some suggestions:

UX is broken, worth fixing:

- I can longer find/do

- where is the???

- how do I???

UI is poorly executed:

- this doesn’t look like a link

- the contrast is too low

- the spacing is too much

You can ignore or ask clarifying questions about feedback that is born out of opinion (sometimes valid, but necessary to unpack)::

- too much white/green

- not enough pictures

- I liked it better when

• Upvote 2

@Maxman

A couple of requests, let me know your thoughts:

1.  Threads I'm Active In:  On the primary list of forum topics it used to be very easy to spot which threads I had posted in, there was an icon that was very easy to differentiate and spot quickly on the left edge of the display.  On the update, each forum topic has a large bullet point to the left and the topics I am active in has a star.  The bullets are actually more dominant than the stars.  Can you do something with this?  Can you make the bullet points a grey color perhaps?  This would allow the stars to be easier to spot so we can get back to the threads we are already active in.

2.  Popular Post Giant Rectangle Border:  On a PC using Chrome, when one enters a thread the posts that are popular have a bold tag on them saying so.  "Popular Post" in a grey oval, every easy to see.  But something else that happens is that a big, bold 'frame' is added around the post as a giant rectangle and it makes it quite distracting when one is scrolling through the posts.  I never saw the value in each post in a thread being its own popularity contest, and it's fine that we have the big "Popular Post" oval now, but can we get rid of that "frame"?  Its really distracting with everything else going on.  This doesn't happen on mobile.  Just PC browser.

3.  Mobile Last Poster Icon And Last Post Time Link Very Small:  On Mobile specifically, Safari on iPhone in my case, on the primary list of forum topics on the rightmost edge the icon showing the identity of the last poster to make a post got incredibly tiny, as did the "xx min" time display that allows us to click in to the most recent post.   I ask that you a) enlarge the icon like it used to be so we can easily see who made the most recent post and b) increase the font size of the "xx min" time display so that it is much easier to click.  It's really hard to click in to the most recent post now, the time display is very small.  Many of us navigate this way on mobile.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Maxman said:

So constructive criticism is a lot more likely to be considered, just saying. Saying something sucks doesn't help much.

The theme had to be completely rebuilt. I can move anything anywhere. Please let me know what you mean about the quick links, happy to move them back just not following what you mean.

Thanks.

Well it did suck and I did tell you exactly why it sucked.  It was fixed very quickly and all looks well now.

3 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

If you haven’t got there yet, you will!

I'm older than dirt. Sometimes I surreptitiously eye (pun intended) "the pharmacy glasses" turnstile in the dollar store. OK, I buy the low dose version in a "tortoise shell" color with "rhinestones" on the sides once in a while. I'm half studious 1950s scientist, half burlesque dancer,  I DON'T KNOW!; but sure, I'm a fashion plate of sorts on a Wednesday, I guess. 

Anyway, who has time to do the close up/far away dance with the fine print on an industrial sized bottle of aspirin? That's weed killer pellets? Oh, hah, disaster averted! Wait, the Jets game is on at 1:00, so maybe not. : /

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Well it did suck and I did tell you exactly why it sucked.  It was fixed very quickly and all looks well now.

Yes I already clarified that. Your user group hadn't received the new theme yet. It was a very easy fix.

8 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

How about a board theme that is less white

We are going to keep the layout very simple and clean but that is definitely on the list and I expect to have two new updated themes this week. The current one with slight edits and then the dark mode. I will enable the toggle when it is installed this way people can choose what they want.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

confused ryan reynolds GIF

Seems a little different....but kinda the same.

That is a good way of putting it. There are some new features and functionality but we tried to keep the look and feel as close to the old one as possible.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

@Maxman

A couple of requests, let me know your thoughts:

1.  Threads I'm Active In:  On the primary list of forum topics it used to be very easy to spot which threads I had posted in, there was an icon that was very easy to differentiate and spot quickly on the left edge of the display.  On the update, each forum topic has a large bullet point to the left and the topics I am active in has a star.  The bullets are actually more dominant than the stars.  Can you do something with this?  Can you make the bullet points a grey color perhaps?  This would allow the stars to be easier to spot so we can get back to the threads we are already active in.

2.  Popular Post Giant Rectangle Border:  On a PC using Chrome, when one enters a thread the posts that are popular have a bold tag on them saying so.  "Popular Post" in a grey oval, every easy to see.  But something else that happens is that a big, bold 'frame' is added around the post as a giant rectangle and it makes it quite distracting when one is scrolling through the posts.  I never saw the value in each post in a thread being its own popularity contest, and it's fine that we have the big "Popular Post" oval now, but can we get rid of that "frame"?  Its really distracting with everything else going on.  This doesn't happen on mobile.  Just PC browser.

3.  Mobile Last Poster Icon And Last Post Time Link Very Small:  On Mobile specifically, Safari on iPhone in my case, on the primary list of forum topics on the rightmost edge the icon showing the identity of the last poster to make a post got incredibly tiny, as did the "xx min" time display that allows us to click in to the most recent post.   I ask that you a) enlarge the icon like it used to be so we can easily see who made the most recent post and b) increase the font size of the "xx min" time display so that it is much easier to click.  It's really hard to click in to the most recent post now, the time display is very small.  Many of us navigate this way on mobile.

SAR I

Thanks for the feedback 1 and 3 I know we can do. Let me look into # 2.  I am going to keep collecting data \ requests for a few days, then I will get the designer a final list of changes.  Either way I think we can get everything wrapped up (and updated) soon. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

@Maxman Functionality: when you click on a notification for a nee DM in an existing thread, it brings you to the first message - it used to bring you to the most recent message.

Please clarify, I am not sure I am following. The notification typically goes to the post that was quoted or had rep left on it. But I think I am just misunderstanding.

6 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

@Maxman Accessibility: there are some questionable choices around color styles and contrast, not sure how much emphasis you are putting in accessibility standards - or how much of it is built into the forum software - but I can give you more guidance if desired.

Please, any additional thoughts are appreciated. I can clarify with the designer.  This was a major release so he did build our theme over completely. I think we are going to be on this platform for years and years, so more info helps here. I definitely don't mind investing in anything that will make the experience better.  

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

anyone else find this font harder to read than the old one or is it just my old-ass eyes?

I am not sure if this font was selected by IPB or by the designer. And I'm not much of a font guy but I like the one they picked.

I use readers but it's been easy for me to read this on my phone. I think there is a resizing option too.

But I would say wait until we install dark mode later this week, the contrast might be causing a bigger issue for you right now.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Please clarify, I am not sure I am following. The notification typically goes to the post that was quoted or had rep left on it. But I think I am just misunderstanding.

Please, any additional thoughts are appreciated. I can clarify with the designer.  This was a major release so he did build our theme over completely. I think we are going to be on this platform for years and years, so more info helps here. I definitely don't mind investing in anything that will make the experience better.  

Thanks!

First comment: private/direct messages. You click on the nee reply notification now, and it goes to the first post - not the most recent in a thread of private messages.

As for accessibility, I’d just ask him to ensure all color contrast decisions align with WCAG AA compliance. This way you’re covered for most low vision users, etc. There’s a whole other can of worms in building accessible code and experiences. Like I said, it all comes down to how much you want to tackle it. Accessibility compliance would somewhat future proof you. Let me hit you back when I have a bit more time

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

First comment: private/direct messages. You click on it now, and it goes to the first post - not the most recent in a thread of private messages.

As for accessibility, I’d just ask him to ensure all color contrast decisions align with WCAG AA compliance. This way you’re covered for most low vision users, etc. There’s a whole other can of worms in building accessible code and experiences. Like I said, it all comes down to how much you want to tackle it. Accessibility compliance would somewhat future proof you. Let me hit you back when I have a bit more time

Thanks. Private messages are going to the most recent for me. I'll test it on other devices and check with a few others as well to be sure.

26 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Thanks. Private messages are going to the most recent for me. I'll test it on other devices and check with a few others as well to be sure.

So, the private notification in the top bar (black) goes to most recent. The notification in the new sticky bar (white) goes to the first message, for me.

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am not sure if this font was selected by IPB or by the designer. And I'm not much of a font guy but I like the one they picked.

I use readers but it's been easy for me to read this on my phone. I think there is a resizing option too.

But I would say wait until we install dark mode later this week, the contrast might be causing a bigger issue for you right now.

I think for me, the biggest issue is that it defaults to weight: 700 which is heavy, pretty much bold.  When I manually set it to 400 it's a lot easier on me.  The designer is obviously a Mac guy, and while Segoe UI isn't my favorite windows font, it's fine with the lower weight.  Love to hear what everyone else thinks of that.  I can post instructions for changing that in your browser session (will only last until you close the tab) if anyone wants.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think for me, the biggest issue is that it defaults to weight: 700 which is heavy, pretty much bold.  When I manually set it to 400 it's a lot easier on me.  The designer is obviously a Mac guy, and while Segoe UI isn't my favorite windows font, it's fine with the lower weight.  Love to hear what everyone else thinks of that.  I can post instructions for changing that in your browser session (will only last until you close the tab) if anyone wants.

Watch this, it explains the situation in perfect detail.

Really good feedback here, I have a list that includes the dark theme, making the white on the main page less blinding (adding some color), looking at fonts and spacing as well as some other suggestions.

Any other thoughts are appreciated. I am probably going to end up submitting the list late tonight.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Really good feedback here, I have a list that includes the dark theme, making the white on the main page less blinding (adding some color), looking at fonts and spacing as well as some other suggestions.

Any other thoughts are appreciated. I am probably going to end up submitting the list late tonight.

Just my 2 cents I think the dark theme should be the priority and appreciate you looking to add this feature. Would make a huge difference for me, outside of that everything has been smooth. 

3 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Just my 2 cents I think the dark theme should be the priority and appreciate you looking to add this feature. Would make a huge difference for me, outside of that everything has been smooth. 

Based on the requests that is definitely the biggest item most people want. The programmer was backed up a few days, so he is going to end up working on everything all at once anyway. He let me know it would be later this week, that is why I said I would give it a day or so for other feedback. Basically I am giving him one list and he will do it all at once either way.  The changes to the existing theme won't take him long because they are tweaks.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

Based on the requests that is definitely the biggest item most people want. The programmer was backed up a few days, so he is going to end up working on everything all at once anyway. He let me know it would be later this week, that is why I said I would give it a day or so for other feedback. Basically I am giving him one list and he will do it all at once either way.  The changes to the existing theme won't take him long because they are tweaks.

Thanks!

I would like to request bigger shields on the mod/admin avatars. It would make me feel safer browsing the forums.

thank you

• Haha 3

Not sure its a big deal or what it means, just wanted to let you know I've been getting this warning everytime I go to the site since you made the changes. ??‍♂️

Site looks terrific btw. The way you shortened quoted posts to a preview so that you don't need to scroll through long quoted posts is fantastic! 

Screenshot_20210223-085450_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You added a plugin not too long ago that allowed us to see all the posts by an individual within a thread. There was a magnifying glass icon on each post that you could click to do the isolation.

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Got it, now I understand. I didn't realize that stopped working. I will have to check the plugin and look for a new update.  Thanks.

• Upvote 2