Darnold's 5th year option is 18.858M

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

If you cant get value for him now ...

Keep him .. draft wilson ... best case scenario ... Darnold plays reasonably well to excite people ... but Zach is the clear starter ... then trade darnold for more than he is worth right now.

Early in the season, some QB is bound to get hurt.....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Agreed that’s why he hasn’t publicly committed to Darnold, he’s a goner 

Quite the opposite, if Joe declares Sam as the QB going forward it devalues his ability to trade out of #2 and other teams will trade with the dolphins at #3 instead as they know the jets are not picking a QB.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Adobolo said:

Quite the opposite, if Joe declares Sam as the QB going forward it devalues his ability to trade out of #2 and other teams will trade with the dolphins at #3 instead as they know the jets are not picking a QB.

Not true, if you want to trade up to get a QB you would want you’re pick of the litter, Jets still present the best opportunity for that and it wouldn’t  change if Darnold was the announced starter. 

Oh and Mia already announced Tua as the starter so by you’re logic why would anyone trade with them? 

Just now, oatmeal said:

Not true, if you want to trade up to get a QB you would want you’re pick of the litter, Jets still present the best opportunity for that and it wouldn’t  change if Darnold was the announced starter. 

Oh and Mia already announced Tua as the starter so by you’re logic why would anyone trade with them? 

Because atlanta may/will pick one at #4.

If teams believe we are interested in wilson and want to trade up it will take a haul to get us out of #2 if they think we are sticking with Darnold there is no way they offer as much. 

4 minutes ago, Adobolo said:

Because atlanta may/will pick one at #4.

If teams believe we are interested in wilson and want to trade up it will take a haul to get us out of #2 if they think we are sticking with Darnold there is no way they offer as much. 

That doesn't make sense, if I’m a team trading up for a QB in the draft I’m looking at the Jets for the opportunity to get the guy that I want. What the Jets get from the deal is based on other teams biding against each other, not the fact the Jets crowned Sam as the starter next season. 

If a team wants Zach Wilson, Justin Fields the best opportunity to get them comes from the Jets and competing teams biding against each other would set the price period.

5 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

That doesn't make sense, if I’m a team trading up for a QB in the draft I’m looking at the Jets for the opportunity to get the guy that I want. What the Jets get from the deal is based on other teams biding against each other, not the fact the Jets crowned Sam as the starter next season. 

If a team wants Zach Wilson, Justin Fields the best opportunity to get them comes from the Jets and competing teams biding against each other would set the price period.

The Jets are very much part of the bidding war if they themselves are looking to add a quarterback as well. You are kidding yourself if you don't think crowning Darnold as starter at this point lowers their leverage.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

$18.858 million on a 1-year deal would make him the 19th highest paid QB APY (will be 20th once Josh Allen's contract is completed). 

This is a beyond affordable number for any NFL team, and given that the salary cap will likely rise up to normal next year, will keep Sam Darnold attractive whether its here or somewhere else. If the Jets were to trade him, he'd be under the new team's control for 2-years, $23.6325 million with $18.858 million guaranteed---an attractable rate over two seasons (Jets don't view it in this lens since his prorated bonuses are on the books). 

If he stays with the Jets, my guess is the team will sign him to a contract extension in lieu of the option. Reason being is that the Jets wouldn't want to sink $18.858 million in a guaranteed option. Instead, they'd likely offer him $25 million guaranteed in a 3-year deal that pays him "$22.5 million per year", that way Darnold recaptures what the option would have been pre-pandemic, and the Jets get to spread out the guarantees over 3-years. If Darnold plays well, Jets have him under team control cheaply for 2 more years. If Darnold plays bad, Jets can cut/trade him and still save money in 2022, while spreading out the dead cap. 

Barebones example: 

image.png.1341969116bc901d1e9f934a397baadc.png

Makes lots of cap sense rather than the option. Is your expectation this is something that would happen this offseason instead of the option being kept (if they hang on to him)? Seems this would be harder to negotiate next offseason sans option.

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

$18.858 million on a 1-year deal would make him the 19th highest paid QB APY (will be 20th once Josh Allen's contract is completed). 

This is a beyond affordable number for any NFL team, and given that the salary cap will likely rise up to normal next year, will keep Sam Darnold attractive whether its here or somewhere else. If the Jets were to trade him, he'd be under the new team's control for 2-years, $23.6325 million with $18.858 million guaranteed---an attractable rate over two seasons (Jets don't view it in this lens since his prorated bonuses are on the books). 

If he stays with the Jets, my guess is the team will sign him to a contract extension in lieu of the option. Reason being is that the Jets wouldn't want to sink $18.858 million in a guaranteed option. Instead, they'd likely offer him $25 million guaranteed in a 3-year deal that pays him "$22.5 million per year", that way Darnold recaptures what the option would have been pre-pandemic, and the Jets get to spread out the guarantees over 3-years. If Darnold plays well, Jets have him under team control cheaply for 2 more years. If Darnold plays bad, Jets can cut/trade him and still save money in 2022, while spreading out the dead cap. 

Barebones example: 

I could be remembering totally wrong, but isn’t that essentially what SF did with Colin Kaepernick?  An extension that made him extremely cuttable after 2 years, despite it being a 6 year deal?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The Jets are very much part of the bidding war if they themselves are looking to add a quarterback as well. You are kidding yourself if you don't think crowning Darnold as starter at this point lowers their leverage.

Yup because a team competing against other teams for a top 2 pick will say: “Well, your keeping Darnold so I’m taking some picks out of this deal” 

image.jpeg.7576175cf66d071e7daae891e33ad2b3.jpeg

I’ll keep kidding myself then ?‍♂️

7 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Ok, what if there is no bidding war and only one team offers to move up? To maximize our return we will have to make the bidder feel like we want Wilson also so what will the bidder give us to not take wilson, otherwise the bidder will just move up to the dolphins position where it will be cheaper if we have declared Darnold the undisputed starter.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not following the rationale here:

This "reasonably well" span of time has to be before Halloween or he's not the Jets' player to trade. Once the deadline passes, all they can do is extend him with a long contract, or franchise tag him after the season's over. 

If he's playing well, and the Jets are winning games, then no coach or GM is trading him away with the team on its way to the playoffs just because Wilson was drafted at #2 and they like him. If they are winning games due to his good play, and then trade away this starting QB in October, there'll be a player & coach mutiny, and rightfully so. 

If he excites another team in Sept/Oct then he should excite the Jets even more, in which case Douglas should suck it up on the money end for the now sure-thing Darnold and trade the question mark Wilson for more than he could get for Darnold.

The whole thing with Darnold's current value - whatever it is - is he's never been given a "real" chance. If he's given a real chance and his upside is now "meh, he kinda played reasonably well" then his trade value is lower not higher, especially without a contract. 

Or is it your plan to exercise Darnold's 5th year option, so they can trade him after the season, in which case the Jets have to pay him $19MM even if he did not play reasonably well in 2021?

Problem I have had with Sam playing well next year is to know if he is good long term you need at least 2 seasons of playing well and we no longer have that luxury. Wentz played well and looked really bad last season and that is with good coaching. Eagles are fortunate they could make a deal to move him and not eat the whole contract they gave him which would have destroyed their team for 5+ years. We may not be so lucky if that happens to us.

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Yup because a team competing against other teams for a top 2 pick will say: “Well, your keeping Darnold so I’m taking some picks out of this deal” 

image.jpeg.7576175cf66d071e7daae891e33ad2b3.jpeg

I’ll keep kidding myself then ?‍♂️

More like the Jets say "You are going to need to blow us away with an offer otherwise we are just going to take the quarterback ourselves."

If they crown Darnold now, they lose that leverage.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, football guy said:

Barebones example: 

Would you now be in favour of the new 3 year contract? You said a while back that it is not what you would do if you were in joes shoes.

24 minutes ago, football guy said:

Barebones example: 

If you had to guess .. have u changed your % wise on our next Qb ? If I had to guess I would say 60% Wilson , 20% Watson , 10% sam and 10% lance/fields/jones

40 minutes ago, football guy said:

Barebones example: 

If they pick up his option he's getting the following:

Total 2021 Year Cash: $4,774,685

Total 2022 Year Cash: $18,858,00

Total Cash: $23,632,685

In you're deal you're willing to give Darnold basically all of that in year one (2021) a $15,000,000 signing bonus and a $10,000,000 base salary, which is $1,367,315 more than he'd get if they just picked up his extension alone. If Darnold sucks, they then have to absorb that $15,000,000 bonus in 2022 and 2023 in dead money. Let's just trade him and get a pick in the top 100 and maybe a conditional pick if he plays well for another team. Do we really have to sink the Darnold sunk cost anymore? 

Edit: One other thing @football guy, why isn't the dead money in 2022 and 2023 both $5,000,000 if you cut/trade Darnold after 2021? You show in your chart you prorated $5,000,000 of the $15,000,000 signing bonus in 2021. Shouldn't you only have to only account for $10,000,000 of the $15,000,000 signing bonus after cutting/trading Darnold in 2021 season?

31 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Even better find out which QB Atlanta wants draft him, have Atlanta draft the other guy and we swap plus Atlanta's 2 this year and 1 next year.  Similar to what the Giants and SD did with Eli and Rivers.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Even better find out which QB Atlanta wants draft him, have Atlanta draft the other guy and we swap plus Atlanta's 2 this year and 1 next year.  Similar to what the Giants and SD did with Eli and Rivers.

ALthough i would only do this is somehow Atlanta wanted fields.

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You stalking me dude/dudette. 

Can't help yourself to always throw a dig my way. 

Glad you noticed. 

Im getting paid to be here. 

Aren’t you the guy that tags @T0mShane all day with homosexual innuendo? Accusing me of stalking you. Haha, that’s good.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Aren’t you the guy that tags @T0mShane all day with homosexual innuendo? Accusing me of stalking you. Haha, that’s good.

I joke with @T0mShane  no harm no foul and since Maxman asked for the nonsense to stop we have ceased it. 

You really need to get a life if all you do is monitor my time spent here. 

Have a great evening. 

joewilly12 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I joke with @T0mShane  no harm no foul and since Maxman asked for the nonsense to stop we have ceased it. 

You really need to get a life if all you do is monitor my time spent here. 

Have a great evening. 

joewilly12 

Gay jokes as an insult aren’t “no harm, no foul”. The fact you pull that crap and tell people to get a life, but then take personal offense to a joke that you’re always online...

Take a breath.

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Gay jokes as an insult aren’t “no harm, no foul”. The fact you pull that crap and tell people to get a life, but then take personal offense to a joke that you’re always online...

Take a breath.

I agree. 

So what's your point. 

No joke its true I get paid to be here. 

How about you?