i know good teams are built on smart signings and good drafting, but...

was it too much to ask for a signing just for the sake of getting a good player and making fans happy? we have the cap room, fans have been through hell and back with this team...seems like maybe you close your eyes and throw out a crazy number with a creative contract like good teams tend to do? give the fans something to hang their hat on after sucking them dry for season tickets to watch this sh*t product year after year.

...i know i am overreacting....i know we did this already with CJ M, and Bell and Tru...but getting a stud OL would have made all the difference for this team. Sad.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

This is the quirky issue I've always had with fans.

We think (i) we're the only team out there and (ii) these top line players are fans of the team we root for.

There are 32 teams out there--10-12-14 of which have plenty of cap room.

And none of these guys are Jet fans--they are "me" fans.  Money, fit, family, money, lifestyle, opportunity, money, winning, money, loyalty, money.  

No player cares about anything else.  

But that is part of the Job of the GM - to get things done.  To close deals.  To figure out a way to make it happen.

It's kinda like a Sales person telling their boss - "Well, there were other guys selling a similar product and the buyers just liked him better". That sales person wouldn't have a job for very long.

JD has failed so far at that.  Again, it's very early - I agree.  But right now his FA track record is abysmal.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

But that is part of the Job of the GM - to get things done.  To close deals.  To figure out a way to make it happen.

It's kinda like a Sales person telling their boss - "Well, there were other guys selling a similar product and the buyers just liked him better". That sales person wouldn't have a job for very long.

JD has failed so far at that.  Again, it's very early - I agree.  But right now his FA track record is abysmal.

I’m talking about fans’ unrealistic expectations. 

Whether JD is doing a good or poor job is another conversation. 

• Upvote 2

Bottom line is the Douglas had a disaster of a free agency last year and this year isn’t looking much better! The only guy he’s brought in here that’s worth a damn in his 3 years he’s been here is Becton. Eventually he has to bring some players in here! Enough with these 1 years crap deals 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This is PRECISELY why JD hasn't made a splash. You can occasionally find working parts in the scrap heap, but you're mostly going to find overpriced retreads like CJ, Bell, and Tru.

That’s so untrue. CJM was the second or third best player in the league at his position. Very overpaid, but guy who was worth it on the field. Got hurt, opted out....ciao.

• Upvote 1

you're not wrong. theres a way to structure the cap so we can overpay some dudes for the first few years and inevitably cut bait or have them cheap when it's time to pay our own home grown players.

but clearly there's no hole at pass rusher or oline that we need to solve .

******* jokee

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

JD is apparently betting it all on the draft.....his 2020 class was a meh class. The guy has some ego....

Well hes made his bed, now if this years class doesnt work out, the Jets are cooked....and so is he...

I hate his approach

You hate his approach because it doesn’t feel good right now? We’re in the position of being the worst because the past GMs have failed to draft any players good enough to keep around long term. I’m not even talking 10 years, we can’t keep them past their first 3 years. 

You just can’t do that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

You hate his approach because it doesn’t feel good right now? We’re in the position of being the worst because the past GMs have failed to draft any players good enough to keep around long term. I’m not even talking 10 years, we can’t keep them past their first 3 years. 

You just can’t do that. 

Well we drafted a pro bowler and sent him packing and whiffed on resigning a great wr.

JD has been in charge for 2 years. The day’s if you guys blaming mac for everything are coming to a close 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

38 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Ridiculous analogy. A proper analogy would be a salesperson telling his or her boss, "well, there were other guys selling a far superior product for a price lower than we could realistically offer, and they got the sale." We are the second worst team in the league, with a reputation for being a terrible team. We are not "similar" to the Chiefs. They were not selling a similar product.

KC paid Thuney a ridiculous amount of money and we would have had to beat it, probably by a lot, to get him to come here. Spending $90M on a guard when we are a long way from being a contender is just dumb.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

JD is apparently betting it all on the draft.....his 2020 class was a meh class. The guy has some ego....

Well hes made his bed, now if this years class doesnt work out, the Jets are cooked....and so is he...

I hate his approach

This time he’s Tanking right! - No more late season Wins to spoil it..

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

That’s so untrue. CJM was the second or third best player in the league at his position. Very overpaid, but guy who was worth it on the field. Got hurt, opted out....ciao.

Well we got that first half of the first game against Buffalo for CJ, at least entertained us with that…

• Upvote 1