Zach Wilson arm strength

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They've already spoken with these guys via zoom on multiple occasions. 

Not really sure how they're doing medicals though.  

I am quite confident they've gotten true height and weight measurements.  

Can't imagine it would be too hard to see these guys stand on a scale on a zoom call.  or get measure while someone's watching.  

The players are examined by doctors off site from the pro day... It's a cursory exam and teams can request further sessions if they find problems 

I'm not expecting them to find problems with both of his surgically rebuilt shoulders 

But the question begs what if it happens again? 

Like Sam tore his labrum year 2. Stuff happens. That would be Wilson's 3rd tear 

Wilson supporters don't want to consider the inherent risk of more injuries or his lack of a traditional NFL body 

Yes he's got upside. The jets will ruin this upside 

But hey Morgan will get reps so that should be interesting 

Didn't we live through enough extended preseasons with Chadwick? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I still have no idea what that video proves?  Lol...  Seriously, what are we supposed to be impressed about?   It’s a simple roll left and throw.   

If you were supposed to be impressed, it had the opposite effect.  Heel click, on a roll out, in shorts, no defenders, full leg extension on the delivery, yikes!

edit; it's actually pretty much a double heel click, which he loves to do

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Didn’t this thought process win us Vernon Gholston? Yes, being a human freak means everything.

To your point....JaMarkus Russell was a human freak. How’d that work out. Mahomes seems pretty average. How’d that work out. 

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

If you were supposed to be impressed, it had the opposite effect.  Heel click, on a roll out, in shorts, no defenders, full leg extension on the delivery, yikes!

edit; it's actually pretty much a double heel click, which he loves to do

Yes, like a shortstop which means it’s not a full leg extension and he’s basically not set but barely using his back leg. That’s what makes it impressive 

43 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

You can say this about any player with an injury history. Deshaun Watson had ACL surgeries in both knees, yet you and everyone else around here could care less about that. Lawrence just had labrum surgery on his left shoulder. Does that mean he's prone to that injury? We all know about Drew Brees and how messed up his shoulder was  early in his career. 

Also, I'll note you have been a big mouthpiece for drafting Penei Sewell. Why is it then that you're not concerned about that fact that he had surgery for a torn shoulder labrum, not to mention the fact he wears two knee braces?

Fields had surgery on his throwing hand.  

Wilson is no more injury prone than any of these guys.  It really is a silly argument.  It's really just become a troll argument at this point.

• Sympathy 1

We are keeping Sam Darnold. Zach is a skinnier, one year younger, already injured in  his throwing arm version of Sam darnold Lite.
Be the GM what's your decision? It really just comes down to money.
I don't think Darnold has gotten any kind of a fair Shake since he became a pro, and I think he's hardened and pissed at this point which may turn out to be a good thing.
Let's just play Devil's Advocate and say but maybe Sam is saying f*** the Jets! Maybe he wants out of here!?
Like I said I think JD is keeping Sam and that's been the plan all along. We're going to trade down that number two for fool's gold and build our team.

They are similar in some ways. But Wilson has much better mechanics and footwork and appears to be more accurate. Darnold is bigger and stronger but has managed to miss a lot of games anyway. . For me, what sets them apart is not just the accuracy but that Darnold is a turnover machine, comparatively. Also, the rookie contract is huge. I would not pass on Wilson just because we have Darnold under contract.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just a tought but does it worry the people who want Wilson as our new qb that there is a good percentage of people on this board who want to stick with Darnold, even after 3 year of complete garbage with the odd flash of brilliance we would rather him as our Qb over wilson.

The 32nd qb in the nfl over wilson......either the Darnold people are mad or the wilson people are getting carried away with anyone over Darnold.

Prove it 
Life is not what we hope it to be 
That's why they invented the combine 
We don't even have a height on this dude 
I'm not against Wayne Chrebet. I'm against using the highest draft pick this team has had for decades on just a regular dude with no special traits 
He's special? Prove it 

I’m guessing you haven’t watched his games if you believe he has “no special traits.”

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

You can say this about any player with an injury history. Deshaun Watson had ACL surgeries in both knees, yet you and everyone else around here could care less about that. Lawrence just had labrum surgery on his left shoulder. Does that mean he's prone to that injury? We all know about Drew Brees and how messed up his shoulder was  early in his career. 

Also, I'll note you have been a big mouthpiece for drafting Penei Sewell. Why is it then that you're not concerned about that fact that he had surgery for a torn shoulder labrum, not to mention the fact he wears two knee braces?

Boooom....smackdown well and truly delivered 

If Led Zeppelin played through the crap equipment I played through 30 years ago when I was 17 you would think they sucked too!

You can't just go by results man you have to look at what the team and the guy at QB went through since he's been here.

And I'll quote Rocky Balboa and say I'm not emotionally involved, but what's fair is fair and Sam has not gotten a fair Shake.

When I look at Sam and picture these four quarterbacks coming out of the draft playing in the NFL, they all kind of look the same to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

there are actually threads that exist of me pre draft bashing Watson for having a weak 49 mph arm and the worst part is I stand by it

i didn't want that dude on the Jets last month and i don't want his 9 lawsuits on the team now either  

drew brees went in rd 2 by the way and had an injury riddled career early 

people compare Wilson to Drew Brees it's like ok teams don't take Drew Brees at 2 overall 

the guy should be special. Sewell, Pitts, Smith, Slater I don't care who they take as long as the dude is special. if fields runs a 4.3 that's special 

there's nothing special about Zach Wilson, except his public relations team 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

I’m guessing you haven’t watched his games if you believe he has “no special traits.”

i saw his games against Coastal and UCF in one he was overmatched by nobodies and in the other he was beating the pants off of nobodies 

there are guys all over the country that throw for big numbers in no place conferences they are playing right now in fact it's called FCS 

that kind of production needs to be verified at the Senior bowl or with a signature win somewhere before it's actually worth top 2 draft pick 

honest question what's Zach Wilson's signature win? What was his best college moment? 

everyone's such experts on his film, please produce some where he looks decent against a real foe

film vs UCF with his WR running free and clear doesn't cut it  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

Just a tought but does it worry the people who want Wilson as our new qb that there is a good percentage of people on this board who want to stick with Darnold, even after 3 year of complete garbage with the odd flash of brilliance we would rather him as our Qb over wilson.

The 32nd qb in the nfl over wilson......either the Darnold people are mad or the wilson people are getting carried away with anyone over Darnold.

Shoddy Jet QB Stockholm is a real thing. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there are actually threads that exist of me pre draft bashing Watson for having a weak 49 mph arm and the worst part is I stand by it

i didn't want that dude on the Jets last month and i don't want his 9 lawsuits on the team now either  

drew brees went in rd 2 by the way and had an injury riddled career early 

people compare Wilson to Drew Brees it's like ok teams don't take Drew Brees at 2 overall 

the guy should be special. Sewell, Pitts, Smith, Slater I don't care who they take as long as the dude is special. if fields runs a 4.3 that's special 

there's nothing special about Zach Wilson, except his public relations team 

Consistent and accurate. Consistently accurate - good enough for me.

what was special about Aaron Rodgers coming out that Zach Wilson doesn’t have coming out? Not saying he’ll be Aaron Rodgers but you’re requirement of running a fast forty or some other measurable is irrelevant for a QB.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

everyone's such experts on his film, please produce some where he looks decent against a real foe

I heard he was able to nail a radio edit version of “Bawitdaba” at his frat house’s straight-edge karaoke Spring Fling Mixer last year.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, QB1 said:

That first gif is not a flick of the wrist, that’s his entire body into the throw.

Wilson has perfect mechanics, balance, and flexibility which allows him to put a lot of torque on his body and energy behind his throws. His arm on its own is probably not as strong as Darnolds, who throws with no mechanics and 100% arm. 

I compare Wilson to someone like Justin Thomas in golf. They are long because of their ability to swing consistently at 100% more so than their natural power.

Its good, but I do think he puts a lot of stress on his arm/body and  it might mean more points of failure for injury and maybe less longevity.

There are some throws he made when he does an off body angle no rotation 40 yard flick of the football.