Zach Wilson arm strength

16 hours ago, QB1 said:

That first gif is not a flick of the wrist, that’s his entire body into the throw.

Wilson has perfect mechanics, balance, and flexibility which allows him to put a lot of torque on his body and energy behind his throws. His arm on its own is probably not as strong as Darnolds, who throws with no mechanics and 100% arm. 

I compare Wilson to someone like Justin Thomas in golf. They are long because of their ability to swing consistently at 100% more so than their natural power.

Its good, but I do think he puts a lot of stress on his arm/body and  it might mean more points of failure for injury and maybe less longevity.

Ok, Nico

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Lance Zierlein has Wilson as his 13th ranked player and compares him to Manziel and Jake Plummer:

AE0CC895-757D-482C-AD3C-E1FA1F0B287F.jpeg

Nice work. This is who Zierlein compared Deshaun Watson to leading up to the 2017 draft. Just sayin ...

NFL comp: Marcus Mariota

As college football has become more wide open over the years, the need for dual-threat quarterbacks has increased at the college level, as they are more apt at attacking all aspects of the defense.

However, there have only been a handful of quarterbacks from zone-read college schemes that have become successful NFL starters. Watson has the size, leadership attributes and passing mechanics that are necessary for the position. He's not currently showing the field vision and decision-making ability to become a more consistent passer from the pocket, though.

For his comp, let's go with Tennessee Titans QB Marcus Mariota. Mariota has good size and great speed, like Watson. He was a consistent winner at the college level (at Oregon), like Watson, and they played in similar offensive schemes in college. I think Watson has better upside as a passer than Mariota, while Mariota was more careful with the football in college than Watson has been, at times.

Oh, and he compared Mahomes to Jay Cutler ...

"Mahomes is a big, confident quarterback who brings a variety of physical tools to the party, but he's developed some bad habits and doesn't have a very repeatable process as a passer. Mahomes' ability to improvise and extend plays can lead to big plays for his offense, but he will have to prove he can operate with better anticipation and be willing to take what the defense gives him in order to win from the pocket. Mahomes will be a work in progress, but he's a high ceiling, low floor prospect."

13 hours ago, flgreen said:

For QB's all the Combine, and pro days are really about is the interviews, and white board.  They are not even having interviews  this year at pro days.

They have tons of film of these guys throwing, Wilsons film throwing the ball is incredible.

Not true. Scouts have always mentioned that seeing a QB throw in person provides insights you can't see on film.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

All this fluffing of Zach Wilson is bull sh*t right?

No-one actually thinks this kid is going number 2?

It's Fields or Sewell or a trade back.

No way JD drafts this oft injured twink.  

Hope you're right, but I'm a bit concerned that "durability" isn't a trait that J.D. values.

Last year he took a mammoth LT like Becton over Wirfs, signed an oft-injured Perriman........

You draft a guy like Wilson, and you're playing with fire. His build and injury history are not working in his favor.

#JustDraftJustin.

23 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The kid is super talented in every part of the game that matters.

We should be lucky to get him at 2.

Will he put it all together at the NFL level?

No way to know, but it will heavily depend on the what the Jets do to support and develop him.

If they pick him, he already has enough here to develop.  I'm guessing we add a TE and some OL help in the draft, the offense hasnt been finalized yet

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Lance Zierlein has Wilson as his 13th ranked player and compares him to Manziel and Jake Plummer:

AE0CC895-757D-482C-AD3C-E1FA1F0B287F.jpeg

If we're drafting strictly by what the media or personnel people are saying Wilson is a lock at 2

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If they pick him, he already has enough here to develop.  I'm guessing we add a TE and some OL help in the draft, the offense hasnt been finalized yet

Not even close. 
This was, literally, the worst offense in the NFL and one of the worst of all time. As of now it’s that + a #2 WR.  
This would be putting him out like lambs to the slaughter.  If this is the roster you need to bring in someone else to play QB this year and let Wilson red shirt. He shouldn’t even be a back up.  

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not even close. 
This was, literally, the worst offense in the NFL and one of the worst of all time. As of now it’s that + a #2 WR.  
This would be putting him out like lambs to the slaughter.  If this is the roster you need to bring in someone else to play QB this year and let Wilson red shirt. He shouldn’t even be a back up.  

It was the worst a year ago. 

Wake up, the nightmare that was Gase is gone.  We've added players and we're not done.

Your over the top cry for talent is going to leave you disappointed, a few OL, maybe a mid round WR or RB and a TE in the draft

We need players on D too 

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Not even close. 

This is a question I wanted to ask, what free agent QB left would you pair with wilson? Perhaps I'm missing someone but all the experienced guys that are usually paired with a rookie seem to be gone. If it's Alex smith then we will need two playbooks one for wilson and one for smith as they are completely different.

I don't believe we keep Darnold and wilson, it would be a disaster for both.

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

Fence-Sitting.jpg&ehk=JWdIKZO8doXq7f6QAc

I can see the excuses already. No one held his hand and gave him a line where he had 4 seconds to scan the field every play. Therefore he could have been the next mahomes but the team that drafted him ruined him. 

24 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

This is a question I wanted to ask, what free agent QB left would you pair with wilson? Perhaps I'm missing someone but all the experienced guys that are usually paired with a rookie seem to be gone. If it's Alex smith then we will need two playbooks one for wilson and one for smith as they are completely different.

I don't believe we keep Darnold and wilson, it would be a disaster for both.

Try and get Marriotta if at all possible.  

I just don't see keeping Sam.  They're going to start completely over.  

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Try and get Marriotta if at all possible.  

I just don't see keeping Sam.  They're going to start completely over.  

There has been a few comparisons of wilson to Marriotta................

I think if Joe had made his mind up on wilson we would have made a push to get T Taylor or Brissett in here.

18 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

In simple terms he’s not taking 40 steps to throw 50 yards. Those heel clicks mean sh*t.

The issue with the heal clicks isn't that it buys the thrower distance, its that it affects accuracy because your body level changes.  

8 minutes ago, maury77 said:

The issue with the heal clicks isn't that it buys the thrower distance, its that it affects accuracy because your body level changes.  

It wasnt really worth it but the heel clicks is essentially, is doing exactly what he said he didnt....using extra steps and having to use extra motion to get the ball out, which probably has a lot to do with his windup that they dont seem to be working out of him, the ball is below his waist till he lets it go.  Double heel clicks with the ball below your waist to a extend straight leg...wow, it's danger, big time.  You can get away with it in clean pockets playing nobodies, you might be murdered at the next level, especially when we're talking about someone who routinely ignores the easy play for the big one.  And for someone with an injury history, boy oh boy is he a scary scary player to take #2 overall.  And like @bitonti said, there is no signature win, big game comp with Zach Wilson...no senior bowl to spend time with him.  He was a nobody, 99% of this board had no idea who he was till this season and suddenly he's actually really the QB1?  lmfao  It's like nobody pays attention to the NFL....is there an example of player with a resume like him that is a predraft riser succeeding?  The answer is no...but lets ignore that and all the sloppy mechanics because threw a fast ball side arm once and it looked like Pat Mahomes.

Wild to me that people cant see past that but you just have to hope the Jets do. 

• Upvote 4

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

i saw his games against Coastal and UCF in one he was overmatched by nobodies and in the other he was beating the pants off of nobodies 

there are guys all over the country that throw for big numbers in no place conferences they are playing right now in fact it's called FCS 

that kind of production needs to be verified at the Senior bowl or with a signature win somewhere before it's actually worth top 2 draft pick 

honest question what's Zach Wilson's signature win? What was his best college moment? 

everyone's such experts on his film, please produce some where he looks decent against a real foe

film vs UCF with his WR running free and clear doesn't cut it  

You mean like these beauties?

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

He can run a 4.5. He is far from slow. And he has excellent short yardage burst which is more important for an actual QB anyway

Where do you guys come up with this stuff? The last recorded 40 time Wilson had, he ran a 4.84. You really believe he has improved .34?402204999_ScreenShot2021-03-20at9_23_54AM.thumb.png.f0d2b0336fa4b7da066a2ca9caa186ae.png

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

You mean like these beauties?

Love the touchdown in the washington game, threw it straight at the Corner Back it bounced off him straight into the receivers hands......takes a special kind of quarterback to be able to do that ???

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, adobolo2 said:

Love the touchdown in the washington game, threw it straight at the Corner Back it bounced off him straight into the receivers hands......takes a special kind of quarterback to be able to do that ???

What I love about this - Particularly the anti Wilson crowd

Y'all have to go back to his Sophomore year to find bad games - or even mostly bad plays.  The irrational dislike for this kid is just strange.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, maury77 said:

These Wilson arguments have become similar to political arguments where no one will ever acknowledge a good point raised by the other side. 

When someone shows me a reasonable point I'll acknowledge it.

Looking like a girl or an injury from high school aren't legitimate...