Loving our WR core

Going back a year ago many fans were upset when we let Robby go and felt we didn’t do enough in a loaded WR draft class.  Although personally I was ecstatic we got Mims and trade back to get another pick.  But this year we have really loaded up on WR in FA with Corey Davis and now drafting a first round talent in Elijah Moore.  Plus we still have Crowder for one more year who had always been a favorite of mine and probably Maccagnan only real good signing.  We have a real good young core of WR who have size and speed.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

I hope they keep Crowder. I know he carries a big contract but the Jets aren't in a position to be dropping talent. He's the 2nd most proven WR on our roster and should make ZWs life easier. If they do trade/cut him I hope its during TC after several reports of Moore lighting up our D. 

Joe said he isnt. Possibly at the deadline depending g where the Hers are they may trade him since he is a UFA

10 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Don’t sleep on Keelan Cole here either. He’s a great depth option and with all the injuries we had here it’s nice that we have a ton of options. 

Cole will have a bigger impact and be more productive than Davis IMO.   He can line up anywhere and fits the position versatility that the system requires.  He’ll take a ton of playing time away from Crowder, who lacks the versatility of Cole.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Cole will have a bigger impact and be more productive than Davis IMO.   He can line up anywhere and fits the position versatility that the system requires.  He’ll take a ton of playing time away from Crowder, who lacks the versatility of Cole.  

I don't think Crowder will be here at the end of camp. My thinking is they want Wilson to develop chemistry with the wideouts who'll be here beyond this year. Like you said Cole in the slot, but solitting time with Moore 

3 minutes ago, genot said:

I don't think Crowder will be here at the end of camp. My thinking is they want Wilson to develop chemistry with the wideouts who'll be here beyond this year. Like you said Cole in the slot, but solitting time with Moore 

Cole isn’t relegated to just slot though, he and Moore can coexist on the field at the same time.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Cole isn’t relegated to just slot though, he and Moore can coexist on the field at the same time.  

Agree with that. They could live with Berrios there too for another year. With Cole, Moore, and Berrios, Crowder at that cost, makes no sense.

16 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The route running overall will be more crisp this year too which helps a young qb. Darnold sucked, but he also constantly had to make things happen because his receivers couldn’t get separation. 

Just now, Jets Voice of Reason said:

The route running overall will be more crisp this year too which helps a young qb. Darnold sucked, but he also constantly had to make things happen because his receivers couldn’t get separation. 

Agreed.  Crowder was the only WR who could run a route consistently.   Perriman isn’t a good route runner, Jeff Smith could literally be the worst route runner in the league, Mims was a rookie and will get a little cleaner this year.    It was pretty much a s**t show at the position for last 5 years or so.   

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Lith said:

We are not strapped for cash, and Crowder is one of our most reliable and experienced targets.  And, as we have seen the last few seasons, guys get hurt and it is rare to have your top 4 WRs avialble for more than a handful of games.   If we get to the deadline, Moore has proven himself,, our WR room has stayed healthy, and we can get a decent return for him, sending him ot a contender, that is fine.  I don't want to put Wilson in a position where one or two guys go down and he is throwing to young guys with upside still learning the position (Smith, Smith & Cager)

No reason to rush to move him.

I think they’ll keep crowder, since they had a ton of wr injuries in camp last year.  Give Wilson experienced wrs for a while.  We may actually have quality depth there, not garbage men M-F who get called up to play on Sunday.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, genot said:

Keenan Cole plays outside too.  He was an important cog in several games last season.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I would keep Vyncent Smith also as he’s shown some flashes. A depth chart of:

Davis 
Crowder  
Mims  
Moore   
Cole   
Smith

Nice set of weapons for our rookie QB!

That last spot will go to the one who has the biggest role on specials. At the moment that is prob. Berrios, but could also change during camp. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Correct. Even though the Jags used him primarily in the slot in 2020, he actually has taken slightly more snaps for his career on the outside. 

also, people get too caught up in old-fashioned boxes/labels for some of these players. A lot of these guys are versatile and can line up inside or outside. Even Moore lined up on the outside for 22% of his snaps in 2020, I believe. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, IntoTheGreen said:

That last spot will go to the one who has the biggest role on specials. At the moment that is prob. Berrios, but could also change during camp. 

I believe Moore is an elite punt/kick returner. I don’t see a spot for Berrios 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Correct. Even though the Jags used him primarily in the slot in 2020, he actually has taken slightly more snaps for his career on the outside. 

also, people get too caught up in old-fashioned boxes/labels for some of these players. A lot of these guys are versatile and can line up inside or outside. Even Moore lined up on the outside for 22% of his snaps in 2020, I believe. 

Agreed.  Cole is 6’1” he can play the Z receiver opposite Davis or Mims, or in the slot.  He and Moore can be moved around and you can have Davis and Cole outside with Moore in the slot or Davis and Moore outside with Cole in the slot.  

If Herndon can figure out how to catch the ball again, you could finally have an offense that can attack every level of the defense and one where you actually have to defend more than a ten yard box from the line of scrimmage.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

I believe Moore is an elite punt/kick returner. I don’t see a spot for Berrios 

There is more to STs than punt/kick return although that has been Berrios' role. You may be right, but I'll defer to JD and our coaches on that decision. I'm cool with whatever direction they go. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Keenan Cole plays outside too.  He was an important cog in several games last season.

It was a really smart signing. No drops with him. And for Davis too. Both run great routes, and have great hands.

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  Cole is 6’1” he can play the Z receiver opposite Davis or Mims, or in the slot.  He and Moore can be moved around and you can have Davis and Cole outside with Moore in the slot or Davis and Moore outside with Cole in the slot.  

If Herndon can figure out how to catch the ball again, you could finally have an offense that can attack every level of the defense and one where you actually have to defend more than a ten yard box from the line of scrimmage.  

They love herndon so much they just paid a UDFA $200K to come here.  There’s a chance herndon doesn’t make the roster, esp. if they see wesco as a FB hybrid.  I think herndon has one foot out the door already.