WR depth chart

Knowing what we know about the WR's on the roster right now, how many would you carry and who would they be?  Can't decide who I'd like to see get that 7th spot if they carry that many.

1- Davis

2- Mims

3- Crowder

4- Moore

5- Cole

6- V. Smith

7- Berrios/J. Smith/Cager

Think you roll with 6 WRs since we'll probably keep 4 RBs and even up to 7 CBs now that we signed a special teams guy at the position with Justin Hardee. Open competition for the 6th spot.

So it'll probably be...

Corey Davis 

Denzel Mims 

Jamison Crowder 

Elijah Moore 

Keelan Cole 

Berrios/J Smith/V Smith 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

Knowing what we know about the WR's on the roster right now, how many would you carry and who would they be?  Can't decide who I'd like to see get that 7th spot if they carry that many.

1- Davis

2- Mims

3- Crowder

4- Moore

5- Cole

6- V. Smith

Trade Berrios to the Panthers for two #1’s. We can cite the incredible connection he had with Sammy. Do your thang JD. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Exactly.  Are the Jets hurting for Cap space? No.  Did the Jets make a mistake trying to save money last year by letting Robby walk?  Yes.  Are we trying to develop a new rookie QB?  Yes.

Crowder, even if a bit expensive and with the Jets having a very good prospect in Moore waiting for his chance, is a great insurance policy and safety blanket for a rookie QB.  Remember, it just takes one injury and to a guy like Davis or Mims and suddenly the group looks a bit shaky.  For those with short memories, the Jets at one point had Perriman, Mims and Crowder all hurt at the same time last year.  We were counting on Sam Darnold to win games with Frank Gore, Josh Malone and Braxton Berrios on the field.

Keep Crowder.  Let's not outsmart ourselves here.

Impeccable logic. Let's hope JD reads this.

For once, there's no training camp UDFA wide receiver for us to desperately overhype all summer. We actually have a pretty solid 1-5 assuming Mims and Moore pan out.

There is a UDFA TE though... ?

And yes, keep Crowder. Depth is a good thing.

• Upvote 2

Jets are doing things right for a change with the new rookie QB.  Compliments of the new JD-Saleh Era.  IMO this is in keeping with the promise of JD-Saleh in providing ZW with protection and weapons.

Can't remember the last time the depth was this good.   Don't mind gluttony at the WR position at all.  As matter of fact...  

Luv it?

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I just don't understand why fans on this board want to dump Crowder.  He was one of the most trusted and capable wide receivers we have had over the last few years.

Are the Jets not going to have any injuries at wide receiver this year?  Are the Jets too talented at wide receiver that they can cut one of their most reliable players?  Don't the Jets want to try to win more than 2 games this year?  

People are concerned that he makes too much money, and he is not as good as his contract.  

I disagree.  I think he has earned his spot, and he will help Wilson in his development as you have indicated.

Jamison Crowder has been like a Marcus Maye for the offense.  Not elite, but very good and very consistent over multiple years.  He's reliable, plays hard and doesn't complain despite being on a crappy team for multiple seasons.  We need more guys like him, not fewer. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I just don't understand why fans on this board want to dump Crowder.  He was one of the most trusted and capable wide receivers we have had over the last few years.

Amazing right?  All people were saying is JD has to support Wilson with weapons.  But they for some reason also want to get rid of a weapon we already have in place.  One who we know what he will contribute.  Crowder is sure handed, steady & consistent   

I dont get it.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Are the Jets not going to have any injuries at wide receiver this year?  Are the Jets too talented at wide receiver that they can cut one of their most reliable players?  Don't the Jets want to try to win more than 2 games this year?  

People are concerned that he makes too much money, and he is not as good as his contract.  

I disagree.  I think he has earned his spot, and he will help Wilson in his development as you have indicated.

It's ridiculous. How can any Jet fan forget the dreck the Jets had on the field last year at the WR position? Crowder was the only bright spot in the first half of the year. It's not like the Jets are desperate for cap relief, either. Is $10M high for Crowder? Yeah, but it's not completely unreasonable. I could see them approaching him about a pay cut, though. The business is brutal. 

You know Joe Douglas wants to get the Jets into position to start collecting comp picks, too. It's very possible that the Jets lose more free agents next year than they sign and, if they do, Crowder would probably represent a fifth or sixth rounder in 2023. 

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Claymation said:

Why would Crowder be traded?

Moore can play inside and out and depth is a good thing.

We have never had depth before.  Now that we have it, some of us don't knonw how to react.

• Upvote 2

On 5/20/2021 at 11:43 PM, AFJF said:

1- Davis

2- Mims

3- Crowder

4- Moore

5- Cole

6- V. Smith

I would give Berrios the edge because of his ability to return punts.  V Smith has returned kicks, not punts, but the Michael Carters have both returned kicks.    Neither J Smith or Cager contribute much on STs, which make them long shots for the 6 or 7 slot, imo.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, slats said:

It's ridiculous. How can any Jet fan forget the dreck the Jets had on the field last year at the WR position? Crowder was the only bright spot in the first half of the year. It's not like the Jets are desperate for cap relief, either. Is $10M high for Crowder? Yeah, but it's not completely unreasonable. I could see them approaching him about a pay cut, though. The business is brutal. 

You know Joe Douglas wants to get the Jets into position to start collecting comp picks, too. It's very possible that the Jets lose more free agents next year than they sign and, if they do, Crowder would probably represent a fifth or sixth rounder in 2023. 

Agreed

The Jets don’t have their backs up against the wall financially.

And if getting rid of Crowder is what’s standing between us signing a vet CB like Nelson or Sherman, then I’d rather keep a good player around our franchise QB and roll with the bunch of young guys we currently have in the defensive backfield.

Bryce Hall already looks like a keeper. Now we really just need 1 or 2 from that Austin/Carter/Pinnock/Echols/Guidry group to emerge.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Exactly.  Are the Jets hurting for Cap space? No.  Did the Jets make a mistake trying to save money last year by letting Robby walk?  Yes.  Are we trying to develop a new rookie QB?  Yes.

Crowder, even if a bit expensive and with the Jets having a very good prospect in Moore waiting for his chance, is a great insurance policy and safety blanket for a rookie QB.  Remember, it just takes one injury to a guy like Davis or Mims and suddenly the group looks a bit shaky.  For those with short memories, the Jets at one point had Perriman, Mims and Crowder all hurt at the same time last year.  We were counting on Sam Darnold to win games with Frank Gore, Josh Malone and Braxton Berrios on the field.

Keep Crowder.  Let's not outsmart ourselves here.

I've said it a couple dozen times on this board... 

Some rando asshat named Jaleel Scott caught a pass for the Jets last season. 

Keep Crowder. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I would give Berrios the edge because of his ability to return punts.  V Smith has returned kicks, not punts, but the Michael Carters have both returned kicks.    Neither J Smith or Cager contribute much on STs, which make them long shots for the 6 or 7 slot, imo.

You mean fair catch?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drums said:

You mean fair catch?

He had a nice year as a PR in 2019.  2nd in the league in yards/return. 

His numbers were down in 2020.  Did not return many punts last year, but I wonder if some of that is becuase he was being forced to get more snaps at WR due to injury.  During the first 8 weeks of last season, when he was getting regular snaps at WR, he only returned two punts.  He started returning more punts in the last few weeks of the season when our WR corps was healthier.  

8 hours ago, Lith said:

His numbers were down in 2020.  Did not return many punts last year, but I wonder if some of that is becuase he was being forced to get more snaps at WR due to injury.  During the first 8 weeks of last season, when he was getting regular snaps at WR, he only returned two punts.  He started returning more punts in the last few weeks of the season when our WR corps was healthier.  

Yeah last year I was getting Jeremy Kerley flashbacks.  It’s been rare but I’d love to see us get back to trying to return punts. 

17 hours ago, Lith said:

Our Special Teams as a whole were ranked 4th in ‘19/20.. very surprised!

Dropped to 9th last year

https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings/special-teams

image.thumb.png.7ad270c177e4579b2d203d13f596d5ee.png

image.png