Where contract negotiations between Seahawks, Jamal Adams could hit a snag

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Only all pro because the media and people who vote fall ass over tea kettle over a guy that is a big self promoter.

Sacks for a safety when all the player does is blitz and does nothing else is not all pro play.  Take any average safety in this league and hand him the blitz ops jamal gets and they'd get those 8 sacks

Jamal was excellent in coverage when on the Jets. Not so much last year.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Adams contract talks have begun, but ESPN.com’s Brady Henderson reports these negotiations have not produced much movement yet.

The Seahawks have had a year to work on this and as of today, the talks havent produced much movement.

But they are confident on an extension?  

This buffoonery is up there with Matt Rhule trying to convince us hes thrilled that sam darnold has sucked so far in camp.

They have had a year to work on it.  They also, technically, still have another year to work on it.

This will be interesting to watch.  There's no doubt the Seahawks will dangle the franchise tag over his head.  So glad this isn't our problem anymore.  And, I'd love to see Marcus Maye get an extension before Adams.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

This is fun.

Still have to say it, a healthy Jamal Adams is an All-Pro safety.  But still a safety.  The best part of this trade is the reallocation of resources. I would have loved to have kept him but there’s a cap and an opportunity cost for other more important positions.

I'll take Ronnie Lott at age 62 over Jamouth Adams in a street fight.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

They have had a year to work on it.  They also, technically, still have another year to work on it.

This will be interesting to watch.  There's no doubt the Seahawks will dangle the franchise tag over his head.  So glad this isn't our problem anymore.  And, I'd love to see Marcus Maye get an extension before Adams.

The only way Seattle can use the franchise tag on him is if he plays this year under his current contract.  And thats never happening. Hes not showing up in Seattle again without a new deal.  Its either he gets the highest contract ever given to a safety from seattle this offseason, or he never plays in a seahawks uni again.

I do not see any other alternative.

16 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The only way Seattle can use the franchise tag on him is if he plays this year under his current contract.  And thats never happening. Hes not showing up in Seattle again without a new deal.  Its either he gets the highest contract ever given to a safety from seattle this offseason, or he never plays in a seahawks uni again.

I suspect they have already offered to make him the highest paid S in NFL.  think it's only $15M.   He's holding out to be the highest paid defensive player on the Hawks.  That would be Bobby Wagner I believe who makes north of $18M

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

I suspect they have already offered to make him the highest paid S in NFL.  think it's only $15M.   He's holding out to be the highest paid defensive player on the Hawks.  That would be Bobby Wagner I believe who makes north of $18M

That is crazy if true.  I know the safety for the broncos makes just north of 15 mil.  So the number for the highest paid safety is prob 16 mil.  

12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes not signing anything that doesnt make him the highest paid safety in nfl history.

Certainly not, but that isn't exactly a high bar to clear.  Up until Justin Simmons signed his new deal this offseason ($15.25M per year), that was Budda Baker ($14.75M per year).  Safeties are cheap.  Adams wants to be paid money that transcends the Safety position.  He won't be happy to accept a few dollars more than Simmons got.  

It's also important to note that this is where the 5 currently highest-paid Safeties were drafted:

• Simmons (Round 3, pick 98)
  • Baker (Round 2, pick 36)
  • Eddie Jackson (Round 4, pick 112)
  • Kevin Byard (Round 3, pick 64)
  • Tyrann Mathieu (Round 3, pick 69)

Apparently, elite Safety play isn't that hard to find in the draft.  But the Seahawks traded two 1sts and a 3rd for Adams and now are staring down paying him significantly more coin than any of these 5 received.  

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, David Harris said:

Jamal was excellent in coverage when on the Jets. Not so much last year.

He was decent in coverage, not "excellent".  And that was primarily because he was asked to cover RB's and TE's.  In Seattle, when he wasn't sent on blitzes, he was asked to cover WR's, particularly slot guys, who ate him alive.  

This is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and last season, Adams was exposed for the overrated fraud he is.  

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

That is crazy if true.  I know the safety for the broncos makes just north of 15 mil.  So the number for the highest paid safety is prob 16 mil.  

So I get it now.  When Revis pulled this crap every season it was fine because some people here love him despite the economic and morale issues this caused for the Jets every damn season, but Adams is out of line?  My view is they are both cut from the same cloth and both are greedy, selfish players whose continual contract disputes significantly detract from their value as players.  And it explains why both don't stay in one place very long.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, flgreen said:

29 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Of course its true.  Adams thinks he's one of the best defensive players in the game, not just the best Safety.  Even though neither of those things are true, he wants top defensive player money, not merely top Safety money.  Hence why negotiations are headed nowhere.  

• Upvote 1

I

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I only supported Revis getting his extension in 2010, when he was coming off the greatest CB season I've ever witnessed.  He played a premium position and almost single-handedly won the Jets games that season.  

Jamal Adams does not positively impact games like Revis did, and it isn't close.  That's the difference.

I agree that Revis was the better player, but he wanted to renegotiate his contract every single season. Adams is looking for his first big payday.  They are similar because of this need to be paid "the most."

12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah they caught between a rock and a box safety on this one, 

The Seahawks are going to look like a joke if they sign him to an exorbitant contract and will look like a very mangled mess of an organization if they let him walk after sending us 2 #1’s for a ‘box safety’ that can’t even cover.  They are screwed if they do or they don’t. That was etched in stone as soon as they sold their souls in this trade. Go JD, Go JD, GO!!!!!

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So he sits out this year and loses 15 M. What then? Let’s say he’s traded to another moronic team that would want him and pays him 18M per year. It would take 5 years to make up that 15 M he lost for sitting out a year. And it makes it more apparent he’s the disgruntled, disillusioned child he is. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2021 at 12:48 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

JD wouldn't have been able to trade up for Vera-Tucker if not for Jamal's awesome play on the field as a JET. 

JD wouldn't have an additional 1st round pick come 2022's NFL draft (already can't wait to see who he drafts) if not for #33's excellent play in the field as a JET. 

Thank you Jamal Adams.

(And also thnx you for exposing and calling out Adam Gase too). 

"I don't feel like he's the right leader for this organization to reach the Promised Land," Adams told Mehta. "As a leader, what really bothers me is that he doesn't have a relationship with everybody in the building. At the end of the day, he doesn't address the team," Adams added. "If there's a problem in the locker room, he lets another coach address the team. If we're playing s----- and we're losing, he doesn't address the entire team as a group at halftime. He'll walk out of the locker room and let another coach handle it."

(SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE JETS FAN). 

And thnx you JD for knowing Adams trade value while telling Jerry Jones to piss off (for only offering us pick #17). 

What's most important to include is how JD waited and let Jamal degrade the support he received from the fanbase. JD knew he was not going to be here the minute JA went around him to complain to CJ. Then he wouldn't talk to the GM or Coach for a week afterward like a vagina.  It was over right then and there. 

While everyone was screaming one thing or another for 6 months JD waited. He knew the calls would come and that his "offers" to JA's team would not be accepted. Then Seattle came calling. It was always gonna be someone. Jamal's stock was at its peak.  This is currently JD's finest move as a GM and it happened in his for 15 months. 

Long Live the King. 

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

The Seahawks are going to look like a joke if they sign him to an exorbitant contract and will look like a very mangled mess of an organization if they let him walk after sending us 2 #1’s for a ‘box safety’ that can’t even cover.  They are screwed if they do or they don’t. That was etched in stone as soon as they sold their souls in this trade. Go JD, Go JD, GO!!!!!

Yeah, I don’t see Jamal coming too far off his number either. Honestly he shouldn’t, he will never get another big contract. Eventually he will lose that aura of “ prez mal” and get treated exactly like a box safety that can’t cover. So he needs to hold the screws to them and get what he can while the getting a good. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

So he sits out this year and loses 15 M. What then? Let’s say he’s traded to another moronic team that would want him and pays him 18M per year. It would take 5 years to make up that 15 M he lost for sitting out a year. And it makes it more apparent he’s the disgruntled, disillusioned child he is. 

It will be a disaster if he sits out, Seattle’s pass defense will Improve without him no matter who they put in and eventually his sweetheart stats with the league will fade. He needs to get paid now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah, I don’t see Jamal coming too far off his number either. Honestly he shouldn’t, he will never get another big contract. Eventually he will lose that aura of “ prez mal” and get treated exactly like a box safety that can’t cover. So he needs to hold the screws to him and get what he can while the getting a good. 

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It will be a disaster if he sits out, Seattle’s pass defense will Improve without him no matter who they put in and eventually his sweetheart stays with the league will face. He needs to get paid now. 

The bold don't go together.  Either he comes down from his number and gets paid now, or he doesn't and it pushes his payday back.  He's not getting a new contract this offseason AND getting $18M+ per season.  He's not going to be able to eat his cake and have it too. 

Sorry to distract you with the cake reference.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The bold don't go together.  Either he comes down from his number and gets paid now, or he doesn't and it pushes his payday back.  He's not getting a new contract this offseason AND getting $18M+ per season.  He's not going to be able to eat his cake and have it too. 

Sorry to distract you with the cake reference.

Exactly, I'm rooting for a disaster. I just ate four pieces of cake. Want a piece? Hmmmmmm?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It will be a disaster if he sits out, Seattle’s pass defense will Improve without him no matter who they put in and eventually his sweetheart stays with the league will face. He needs to get paid now. 

He’s like a child who bluffs. He won’t sit out. He’ll romp and stamp his feet down and will ultimately take a 2-3 year deal @ 15-16 M ‘with incentives’ that he’ll never meet. He’d be an absolute fool not to take such a deal. If he plays out his current contract with Seattle, it would be dumber than dumb. No one is going to pay this guy what he wants. He’s just not worth it. No one. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

He’s like a child who bluffs. He won’t sit out. He’ll romp and stamp his feet down and will ultimately take a 2-3 year deal @ 15-16 M ‘with incentives’ that he’ll never meet. He’d be an absolute fool not to take such a deal. If he plays out his current contract with Seattle, it would be dumber than dumb. No one is going to pay this guy what he wants. He’s just not worth it. No one. 

Pretty much. He has to get paid whatever he can squeeze out of them because he'll never big money again. 

16 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It will be a disaster if he sits out, Seattle’s pass defense will Improve without him no matter who they put in and eventually his sweetheart stats with the league will fade. He needs to get paid now. 

Was hearing The Godfather Gil Brandt on SiriusXM echoing accolades about Adams and his 9.5 sacks last year and how no safety has ever done that yards yadda yadda yadda. We need to get @Jetsfan80 on that show with The Godfadda and rebuke all these proclamations of greatness towards Adams, who has to be one of the worst covering safeties I’ve ever seen since watching football since the mid 60’s. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Maynard13 said:

Was hearing The Godfather Gil Brandt on SiriusXM echoing accolades about Adams and his 9.5 sacks last year and how no safety has ever done that yards yadda yadda yadda. We need to get @Jetsfan80 on that show with The Godfadda and rebuke all these proclamations of greatness towards Adams, who has to be one of the worst covering safeties I’ve ever seen since watching football since the mid 60’s. 

Nobody wants to admit the only reason he has those sacks is literally because he can't cover. LOL

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Pretty much. He has to get paid whatever he can squeeze out of them because he'll never big money again. 

He tried that with the Jets and look what it got him. Seattle drank the green koolaid and now they are regretting it and smelling the coffee. Adams has screwed himself yet again. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

Hes getting 9.8 this year, not 15.  So lets say he gets his 9.8 this year, blows out his knee and is damaged goods.  Now he makes nothing moving forward.

Its a gamble either way but Im not taking the chance of getting a serious injury with no guarantee beyond 9.8 mil.

I hate Adams but he is 100% in the right here.  Seattle knew what they would have to pay him when they made the trade.  Now they are stalling and look foolish.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He was decent in coverage, not "excellent".  And that was primarily because he was asked to cover RB's and TE's.  In Seattle, when he wasn't sent on blitzes, he was asked to cover WR's, particularly slot guys, who ate him alive.  

This is a "what have you done for me lately" league, and last season, Adams was exposed for the overrated fraud he is.  

There was that one clip last year when Diggs made him look absolutely ridiculous. He put Jamal in the spin cycle 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Perfectly said.  What JD got for Adams was an absolute steal and if AVT becomes as good as advertised AND they get another first next year, it will be an all time NFL deal.  

If JD had gotten one first for Adams it would have been great as they un-stuck themselves from this exact scenario.  A player who gets stats but doesnt actually help his team get better is holding out because hes unwilling to "just" be the highest paid player at his position is absolute insanity.

Revis holding out in 2010 is different as he put up an ALL TIME season the year prior.  Adams got a bunch of sacks while his team finished 15th in total defense and he wants to be paid like an elite edge rusher.

Miracle that we have 2 firsts for this guy

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Adams was phenomenal in coverage AND great against the run AND a sack master

Terrible move by the Jets trading him.  That and drafting Sam Darnold two worst moves of the past 10 years

• Thumb Down 8
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

There was that one clip last year when Diggs made him look absolutely ridiculous. He put Jamal in the spin cycle 

To be fair Diggs makes a lot of d backs look silly. That said Adams is way overrated and not as good as he thinks he is. Great deal by JD and good riddance to this malcontent who is a cancer to any team he winds up with 

4 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Adams was phenomenal in coverage AND great against the run AND a sack master

Terrible move by the Jets trading him.  That and drafting Sam Darnold two worst moves of the past 10 years

Your rating will NEVER recover after this post. NEVER.

• Haha 2