No deal close for Jamal Adams?

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

Are our draft prospects (with their pick) better or worse if he sits out?  Honestly I think they are worse.

Best case for us is they franchise him and then twist the defensive scheme into pretzels so he can be showcased going after the QB. All of this at the expense of covering in the secondary.

I wonder if opposing OCs are clued in to the idea to throw to where he is supposed to be because it is a win if he is back there or a win if he is not? 

Jamal Adams isnt taking another snap for the Seattle Seahawks until he has a long term deal that makes him the highest paid safety in the league.

Hes not eligible to be franchise and even if he was, hed never play under that.  Hed sit out.

10 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I like Adam I see a holdout here with the hawks caving right b4 the season starts.  Kind of like what revis did to us back in the day.

Would be a VERY expensive hold out.  Things have changed in the CBA since Revis.

Adams holds out it will cost him $40,000 a day.  Teams can not forgive it when the contract is resolved.  The fine is Mandatory

16 hours ago, jgb said:

How does any team make this trade without agreeing to an extension first? This has a real chance to go down as one of the dumbest trades in NFL history.

I always figured that Jamal had a wink, wink, and a handshake new contract in place with Seattle that would be announced in the off season.  It is mind boggling to me that they truly went into this without having Adams locked in beyond this season.  Seattle front office should be ashamed of itself for pandering to Pete Carroll's childlike wish to get Jamal. 

• Upvote 3

Seattle puts out the welcome mat for tough, brash players.  Jamal certainly is that.

Seattle is also tough in their contract negotiations.  Some of their former tough, brash players ended their time with the Hawks in anger and disgust.  Earl Thomas is an illustration of that.  And Earl was a Seahawk great.  So I don't think Seattle will cave quickly.

From Jamal's perspective, Leveon Bell has to be a lesson in life for players who buy their own hype.  Leveon's hold out cost him $Millions and shortened his career.  Even Jamal can figure that out, maybe with the help of his agent.

As pointed out previously, the Franchise Tag is an option for Seattle.  The press will be ugly, but more nationally than locally.  This is where ownership matters.  With Paul Allen's death, his wife Jody is the key figure.  No one knows how that will play out.

It's certainly a good thing that, for once, it is not the Jets who will be the butt of all the jokes and contempt.  For that, we can than JD.  And I do so every day. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, slats said:

He only has as much leverage as Seattle chooses to give him. If they’re willing to essentially admit their mistake in making that trade by not giving him a stupid contract that would only compound that mistake, then he has no leverage at all. If I’m Seattle, that’s the tack I take with him. His agent can bring up what they traded and Jamal’s sacks, I’ll be talking about his deficiencies in pass coverage. I wouldn’t be offering a deal that made him the highest paid safety, let alone the position busting contract he’s rumored to want. He can play under the fifth year option this year, and then Seattle can tag him for the next two, and they will have paid him significantly less than what he’s looking for, and gotten four total seasons out of him for those picks. They can reasonably sell to their fan base that they did what they could but that Jamal was unreasonable. 

Hes never playing under his 5th year.  That would be insanely stupid for him and his agent.  What if he blows out his knee???  Then he wont get the long term deal he wants.

I repeat, Jamal Adams is NEVER playing another snap in Seattle until hes the highest paid safety in the league. 

And thinking seattle has leverage is crazy talk.  He aint showing up until they pay him.  They have less then 0 leverage.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jamal Adams isnt taking another snap for the Seattle Seahawks until he has a long term deal that makes him the highest paid safety in the league.

Hes not eligible to be franchise and even if he was, hed never play under that.  Hed sit out.

They all say that but his agent has to be telling him that $18M/yr. may no longer be reachable for him and that sitting out a year is only going to make that matter worse,  He is not worth today what he was "worth" a year ago and that is simply a fact.  Let's be honest, many of us think he was not worth that much back then.  Seattle has already got some pretty substantial sunk cost in this deal so logic would tell us that the pressure on them to sign him to a deal is very high.   Adding on multiple years at an $18M/Yr. average after they have seen him up close and personal is probably a bigger risk and throwing good money after bad. 

Now if Seattle wants to give him a fig leaf with larger salaries in the non-guaranteed out years to get him up to $18M on paper that may be another matter.  Salary cap gurus feel free to jump in here and tell me that kind of contract structure is not longer permitted with large balloon payments at the end.

• Upvote 1

If he sits out then Seattle gets to play the malcontent not a team player card.  It gives THEM cover to walk away from a huge deal.

Even if he were an unrestricted free agent today is there any team in the league who would pay him $18M/Yr. ?  I think not.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, slats said:

He only has as much leverage as Seattle chooses to give him. If they’re willing to essentially admit their mistake in making that trade by not giving him a stupid contract that would only compound that mistake, then he has no leverage at all. If I’m Seattle, that’s the tack I take with him. His agent can bring up what they traded and Jamal’s sacks, I’ll be talking about his deficiencies in pass coverage. I wouldn’t be offering a deal that made him the highest paid safety, let alone the position busting contract he’s rumored to want. He can play under the fifth year option this year, and then Seattle can tag him for the next two, and they will have paid him significantly less than what he’s looking for, and gotten four total seasons out of him for those picks. They can reasonably sell to their fan base that they did what they could but that Jamal was unreasonable. 

And in the meantime, he'll shoot his way out of town just like he did in NY.  How long will that be worth it?

I have to think the best call would be for them to just count their losses and trade him as soon as possible if they're not willing to pay him.  An eventual 3rd round compensatory pick, whenever he hits free agency, simply can't be enough to get in return.  

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Guess again the NY Giants 

That is hugely funny.  The Giants would not touch him with ten barge poles.  He is a me first wannabe highest paid player/safety in football with a history of bad mouthing the organization, shooting his way out of town and not even being adequate at the basics of the position he plays.

I doubt the Giants would want that for league minimum.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He hid under a table during a fight at LSU and has missed 6 games the last 2 seasons with questionable injuries.

Maybe.  Sounds a bit urban legend to me.  But I can live with brash only.

59 minutes ago, EM31 said:

That is hugely funny.  The Giants would not touch him with ten barge poles.  He is a me first wannabe highest paid player/safety in football with a history of bad mouthing the organization, shooting his way out of town and not even being adequate at the basics of the position he plays.

I doubt the Giants would want that for league minimum.  

Have you met Joe Judge and Dave Gettleman.

2 hours ago, EM31 said:

If he sits out then Seattle gets to play the malcontent not a team player card.  It gives THEM cover to walk away from a huge deal.

Even if he were an unrestricted free agent today is there any team in the league who would pay him $18M/Yr. ?  I think not.

Seattle has 0 card to play no matter what Adams does.  If Adams sits out, which he will, then seattle would have traded 2 firsts and a 3rd for 10 games of adams.

Thats not a card to play.

They knew he was a malcontent b4 trading for him.

5 hours ago, viffer said:

Uh, no. There is nothing going on in Jets land until camp starts at the end of the month. In the meantime, Jamal threads are entertaining. It's never too late to make fun of that clown.

If you don't like Jamal threads then why are you posting here?

Because I can!!! You clown!!!

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The tweet from Leonard Fournette has been posted numerous times here and Adams has never denied the story.  Nothing urban legend about it.

Jamal strikes me as the type of guy to hide under furniture where he is plainly visible. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Seattle has 0 card to play no matter what Adams does.  If Adams sits out, which he will, then seattle would have traded 2 firsts and a 3rd for 10 games of adams.

Thats not a card to play.

They knew he was a malcontent b4 trading for him.

They don't get to take back the picks they have already traded.  The only question is do they throw good money after bad?

I think they are looking for a way out and if he sits out the season then he gives them an excuse (fig leaf) to cover the cut-and-run decision that they may have already made.

Ever hear of buyers remorse?

• Upvote 1

I think Jerry Jones may be the only person with interest but they don't have nearly enough money for Adams.  in any event the bloom is off the rose a bit and even Jones is not going to be a buyer at stratospheric prices.

JD sold at the market top and now there is blood in the streets and no buyers to be had.  None at all.

Turn those machines back on!!!

don-ameches-quotes-3.jpg

• Haha 1

I was checking on Seahawks boards and some fans even though they still claim to love Adams, some of them are wondering if they could still get a first for him and if that might not be the smartest move.

Oh, how the prices have fallen and now that THEY have seen his play up close and personal they seem willing to consider living without it.

• Upvote 3