No deal close for Jamal Adams?

3 hours ago, TMAC said:

Once upon a time Jamal Adams was our best player.  He was very good and played with passion. But he is all about number one.  Considering how quickly an NFL team will get rid of player once he is no longer deemed of good value, maybe that's the smarter way to be.  In any event, he's history.  No need to look back.  Onward and upward.

That’s not going to happen 

The buttfumble will be forgotten before we ever escape Jamal Adams discussions.

• Upvote 1

Come on man you've first gotta be real with yourself before being fake to me. 
I couldn't care less what fans think of Jamal as a person because he may not be Ed Reed (FS) @ SS but he's one heck of a Defensive Football player. 
You want a ball hawking FS? Point the finger at Marcus Maye and his lack of INTs. You want a play making SS who makes a physical impact? Look at Jamal Adams.
• Drafted 6th overall of the 1st round. 
• All-Rookie team selection.
• 3x Pro Bowler.
• 1x First-team All-Pro. 
• 2x Second-team All-Pro. 
• On every experts top 50 list.
• 347 career tackles.
• 52 QB pressures.
• 39 tackles for loss. 
• 37 QB hits.
• 21.5 sacks. 
• 7 forced fumbles.
• 4 fumble recoveries.
• 2 Defensive TDs.
I couldn't care less about INTs from a SS that's what you've got FSs for.
 Jamal Adams is an awesome football player and our Defense fell off a complete cliff without him last year. It was also his first season in Seattle while inheriting an absolute crap Defense from just the year before. 
And I'm glad we landed two first round picks but I'm not going to act and pretend as if Jamal Adams is a "bad football player". 
Here. Prove me wrong. I bet you can't do it. 
1.)
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)
6.) 
7.)
8.)
9.)
10.)
Since Jamal Adams made us a worse defense as a JET. Fill in the blanks above. Show me dating back to the 1960's 10 Jets SS's who've ever impacted the NFL with statistical production throughout their first 4 years of NFL play that's been better than Jamal's. It should be easy for you since he stinks.
But you can't, can you?

[/url] Jets fans behind user names laugh at him in comparison to real life football Players and coaching staffs who absolutely RAVE about him...

Here are some Jet Safeties better than Jamal

Ronnie Lott
Ed Reed
Steve Atwater
La Ron Landry

And now the ones that played for the Jets at least 4 years

Brian Washington 10 th rd
Kerry Rhodes. 4 th rd
And one of my favorite Jets. My man Victor Green. (Undrafted)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Fk Jamal Adams dude it's not about Jamal Adams. 

List me your top 10 Jets safety's Strong Safety's dating back to the 1960's. 

Show me all those great strong safety Ball Hawking SS Jets with awesome INTs and coverage grades you're referring to. 

1.)

2.)

3.)

4.)

5.)

6.)

7.)

8.)

9.)

10.)

It should be really easy for you. Since. Well. You know. We've had so many ball hawking STRONG SAFETY'S over the years lol ?

You can't either Crusher, can you?

Yea he clearly had some talent. Nobody is arguing that. Problem is hes a megalomaniac and thinks hes worth 20m a year. Hes not. He has zero loyalty nor is he a team player. We got maximum value for him to say the least. You mist be like 24 or something....

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 4

11 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

Here are some Jet Safeties better than Jamal

Ronnie Lott
Ed Reed
Steve Atwater
La Ron Landry

And now the ones that played for the Jets at least 4 years

Brian Washington 10 th rd
Kerry Rhodes. 4 th rd
And one of my favorite Jets. My man Victor Green. (Undrafted)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Good list! Plus his position is not that big a deal. Hes to the defense  what a te is to an offense.

nice to have a good one but not a dealbreaker. That dumb ass is crashing and burning and i love it

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You failed to do what I asked you to do. 

1.)

2.)

3.)

4.)

5.)

6.)

7.)

8.)

9.)

10.)

Dating back to 1960s list 10 Strong Safety's of the Jets who've been BETTER than Jamal Adams.

You say he STINKS so this should be easy for you and should take you no long than 5 minutes. 

Oh yeah. That's right. You can't. 

Can you?

"You like your Safety's who can blah blah blah blah but can't name 10 SSs better than #33" so funny dude.

So if Jamal Adams is the 4th best SS in recent Jets history, say, is he worth the top safety contract in the NFL? Or a contract worthy of the top defensive players in the league? 

The Jets are so much better off without this overrated self-promoter that it’s hard for me to contain my glee. The fact that Joe Douglas got two first rounders+ for him continues to be amazing. Seattle couldn’t get the third rounder they threw in for him if they tried to trade him today. Just a terrible trade on their part, and I suspect there’s a large contingent in their organization that recognizes exactly that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

11 minutes ago, slats said:

So if Jamal Adams is the 4th best SS in recent Jets history, say, is he worth the top safety contract in the NFL? Or a contract worthy of the top defensive players in the league? 

The Jets are so much better off without this overrated self-promoter that it’s hard for me to contain my glee. The fact that Joe Douglas got two first rounders+ for him continues to be amazing. Seattle couldn’t get the third rounder they threw in for him if they tried to trade him today. Just a terrible trade on their part, and I suspect there’s a large contingent in their organization that recognizes exactly that. 

Jamal and two cases of stick-um to the Cowboys for a  third rounder, 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

You failed to do what I asked you to do. 

1.) 

2.)

3.)

4.)

5.)

6.)

7.)

8.)

9.)

10.)

Dating back to 1960s list 10 Strong Safety's of the Jets who've been BETTER than Jamal Adams.

You say he STINKS so this should be easy for you and should take you no long than 5 minutes. 

Oh yeah. That's right. You can't. 

Can you?

"You like your Safety's who can blah blah blah blah but can't name 10 SSs better than #33" so funny dude.

Just for sh*ts and giggles I decided to look this up because I remember the Jets having some pretty good strong safeties in my life. 

I wasn't wrong.

Adams is an okay football player and if he was drafted in the 4rd round would probably be a fan favorite.  

He isn't a game changer though on the Troy Polamalu/Sean Taylor/ Ronnie Lott level which is what fans expect when he's taken that high.

He's not on the BrianDawkins/Rodney Harrison/John Lynch/Rod Woodson level

He isn't even on  Victor Green's level.

If it wasn't for his draft position, self promoting actions, and mouth, he wouldn't have made those Pro Bowls.

His stats besides sacks are VERY pedestrian for a strong safety and PALE in comparison to previous Jets SS.

Jamal Adams (2017-2020) I'll count his Seattle stats to help pad his sack numbers) 1st round pick 6 overall 

356 tackles/2 ints/21.5 sacks

Season averages: 89 tackles/0.5 ints/5.375 sacks   Besides the sacks these numbers ******* SUCK.

Here are the Jet starting strong safeties from 1990 on.  Note where they were drafted and the production they put up.

1.  Brian Washington (1990-1994 NY Jets)  10th round draft pick

5 years a starter on Jets: 480 tackles/18 ints/4 sacks  

Season averages: 96 tackles/3.6 ints/0.80 sack 

2. Victor Green- the BEST SS in Jets history (1993-2001, but sat behind Washington his first two years) UDFA

7 years a starter on Jets: 842 tackles/24 ints/ 6 sacks

Season Averages: 120 tackles/3.42 ints/ 0.85 sacks   MON-STER 

3.  Erik Coleman (2004-2006 /2007 had appendix or something).   5th round draft pick

3 year starter on Jets: 322 tackles/7 ints/2 sacks

Season Averages: 107.3 tackles/2.33 ints/ 0,66 sacks

4.  Eric Smith (ok, Jamal is better than him.  I'm not even going to bother since he was always hurt and blew). 3rd Round draft pick

5.  Jim Leonhard (2009-2011) Free Agent

3 year starter on Jets and was Rex's pet:  184 tackles/3 ints/3 sacks

Season Averages: 61.3 tackles/1 int/1sack 

6. LaRon Landry (2012)  Free Agent

100 tackles/2 int/0 sack

7.  Calvin Pryor  (2014-2016)  1st round BUST

3 year starter on Jets:  192 tackles/2 ints/ 1 sack 

Season Averages: 65 tackles/ 0,66 ints/ 0.33 sack

Jamal Adams is the 5th best Strong Safety the Jets have has since 1990.

Adams is miles better than anything we've had since Landry and was better than Smith and Leohard which might make people think he's better than he really is.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

So what scenario will optimize the value of the Seattle #1 pick next draft? Adams playing for the Seahawks or Adams not playing for the Seahawks? 

Adams playing for the Seahawks.  I want him to be such a big distraction that Russell Wilson retires.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Adams playing for the Seahawks.  I want him to be such a big distraction that Russell Wilson retires.

Isn't that kinda close to what happened? Wilson so upset they're not getting him weapons that he tried to orchestrate his way off the team and they wasted 2 1st round picks on adams? 

• Upvote 2

On 7/9/2021 at 9:04 AM, slats said:

He only has as much leverage as Seattle chooses to give him. If they’re willing to essentially admit their mistake in making that trade by not giving him a stupid contract that would only compound that mistake, then he has no leverage at all. If I’m Seattle, that’s the tack I take with him. His agent can bring up what they traded and Jamal’s sacks, I’ll be talking about his deficiencies in pass coverage. I wouldn’t be offering a deal that made him the highest paid safety, let alone the position busting contract he’s rumored to want. He can play under the fifth year option this year, and then Seattle can tag him for the next two, and they will have paid him significantly less than what he’s looking for, and gotten four total seasons out of him for those picks. They can reasonably sell to their fan base that they did what they could but that Jamal was unreasonable. 

100% agree! I know nothing about Sea FO or their GMs standing. I have no idea if the GM is in a position to survive admitting the trade was a mistake and minimizing their losses by playing hardball and franchising and/or trading Adams for the most he can possibly get (Probably a late 1 at best). 

Whats in the teams best long term interest regardless if this GM stays or not would be to cut and minimize their losses ASAP. Doubling down on the mistake by committing to him long term at what he's asking would effectively f*ck your roster for years, maybe even effectively shutting the window on superbowl prospects with Wilson! I would think if the owner is smart, he's going to tell his GM to do whats best regardless if it means admitting a HUGE mistake with that trade. If the GM feels he has no choice but to retain him, they are fu*king themselves for a long time. Meanwhile you'll watch Diggs, who's actually a difference maker, go elsewhere and the star centerpiece of your defense won't be a shut down corner. It won't be a stud pass rusher. He'll, it won't even be a centerfield INT producing FS. It's going to be a freaking box SS, who's biggest contribution is the occasional sack which, mind you, is only possible by playing him out of position on a blitz which also leaves a big liability elsewhere in the secondary when you do that!

If Sea GM gives Adams the contract he wants, that Roster takes 5 steps back and they are no longer a playoff team within 2 years, tops! Most likely by next offseason after they lose Diggs.

On 7/9/2021 at 9:05 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

Jamal Adams isnt taking another snap for the Seattle Seahawks until he has a long term deal that makes him the highest paid safety in the league.

Hes not eligible to be franchise and even if he was, hed never play under that.  Hed sit out.

Why is he not eligible for a franchise tag? This season is under his 5th year option, I believe. So why couldn't they franchise him next year? 

NO ONE sits out. The only person that had the guts to follow through with that was Bell and it effectively ended his career the day he went through with it. No one, ESPECIALLY Jamal Adams is giving up a year salary and eligibility only to be able to be tagged again. Gets him no where.

Seattle owns his ass just like the Jets did. The Jets were just blessed with the chance to turn that loser into a goldmine. Sea won't be able to do that. Best they can hope for is getting back some of their losses when they made the mistake of trading for a player that doesn't make your D better with a Revis sized ego. At least Revis could actually singlehandedly change a D. 

Once again, Jamal has no real leverage aside from the fact that no matter what they do, Sea has to deal with the fact they made a horrible trade. And not for nothing, anyone in Sea FO is WELL AWARE they made a mistake trading for him. It's just a matter of it being acknowledged publicly now that it's gonna get messy.

• Upvote 2

It just gets better and better!

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/07/latest-on-seahawks-jamal-adams

July 11th, 2021 at 5:14pm CST by Andrew Ortenberg

It was reported almost a month ago that a Jamal Adams extension with the Seahawks could be imminent, and that something was likely to get done around the start of training camp. That apparently might not longer be the case.

Negotiations between Adams’ camp and the Seahawks have been “slow-going”, Jeremy Fowler of ESPN reported on SportsCenter recently, via Corbin K. Smith of SI.com. Fowler said that it’s “a situation that could bleed through training camp, even possibly close to Week 1,” according to NBC Sports Edge. Adams is apparently “willing to bet on himself,” and Seattle understands that.

We heard recently that Adams wasn’t just looking to become the league’s highest-paid safety, he was looking to enter a tier of his own. The sixth overall pick of the 2017 draft reportedly wants to be treated like his own unique position and not be grouped in with other safeties on the market.

Given his historic pass-rushing production from the safety position, it’s understandable. Meanwhile, John Clayton of 710 ESPN Seattle writes that it’s “pretty clear” the two sides “are not close to a contract extension.” Clayton thinks Adams’ deal “should come in” around $16MM a year, but that if he wants $17-18MM, that “would be a problem for the Seahawks.”

The former LSU and Jets star has some leverage here, since the Seahawks gave up two first-round picks to trade for him last July. It would be a very bad look for the franchise if they weren’t able to lock him up long-term. With training camp rapidly approaching, we should hear a lot more soon.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It just gets better and better!

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/07/latest-on-seahawks-jamal-adams

The sixth overall pick of the 2017 draft reportedly wants to be treated like his own unique position and not be grouped in with other safeties on the market.

Given his historic pass-rushing production from the safety position, it’s understandable. Meanwhile, John Clayton of 710 ESPN Seattle writes that it’s “pretty clear” the two sides “are not close to a contract extension.” Clayton thinks Adams’ deal “should come in” around $16MM a year, but that if he wants $17-18MM, that “would be a problem for the Seahawks.”

The former LSU and Jets star has some leverage here, since the Seahawks gave up two first-round picks to trade for him last July. It would be a very bad look for the franchise if they weren’t able to lock him up long-term. With training camp rapidly approaching, we should hear a lot more soon.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

Obviously they don’t do research at all in Seattle. He already tried that in NY…

8E0A018D-F20E-4259-817C-CED1BE1B8EDB.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/11/2021 at 5:10 AM, MichaelScott said:

Why is he not eligible for a franchise tag? This season is under his 5th year option, I believe. So why couldn't they franchise him next year? 

NO ONE sits out. The only person that had the guts to follow through with that was Bell and it effectively ended his career the day he went through with it. No one, ESPECIALLY Jamal Adams is giving up a year salary and eligibility only to be able to be tagged again. Gets him no where.

Seattle owns his ass just like the Jets did. The Jets were just blessed with the chance to turn that loser into a goldmine. Sea won't be able to do that. Best they can hope for is getting back some of their losses when they made the mistake of trading for a player that doesn't make your D better with a Revis sized ego. At least Revis could actually singlehandedly change a D. 

Once again, Jamal has no real leverage aside from the fact that no matter what they do, Sea has to deal with the fact they made a horrible trade. And not for nothing, anyone in Sea FO is WELL AWARE they made a mistake trading for him. It's just a matter of it being acknowledged publicly now that it's gonna get messy.

Ezekial elliot was going to sit out too.  But dallas paid him so yes, there are players willing to do this.

Without a long term deal, Adams is risking getting a serious injury and then never getting paid again.

Seattle will make him the highest paid safety in the league w/ a long term deal or hes not playing this season.

We heard recently that Adams wasn’t just looking to become the league’s highest-paid safety, he was looking to enter a tier of his own. The sixth overall pick of the 2017 draft reportedly wants to be treated like his own unique position and not be grouped in with other safeties on the market.

He's certifiably insane.   He might well be the most narcissistic player in the history of the NFL.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, slats said:

The article above says Adams is, “willing to bet on himself.” I’d take that at face value. He’s made about $18M in four years so far, and is due close to $10M for this season alone. He wants more, obviously, but he’s not going to sit out and leave that on the table - all while facing large daily fines. 

Seattle isn’t going to be his last stop. He’s nowhere near as good a player as Deion Sanders, but that’s the kind of NFL career he’s going to have; being a short term mercenary for whoever’s willing to (over)pay him. 

Sooner or later he'll end up a cowboy which is want he wanted from  the start..

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, slats said:

The article above says Adams is, “willing to bet on himself.” I’d take that at face value. He’s made about $18M in four years so far, and is due close to $10M for this season alone. He wants more, obviously, but he’s not going to sit out and leave that on the table - all while facing large daily fines. 

Seattle isn’t going to be his last stop. He’s nowhere near as good a player as Deion Sanders, but that’s the kind of NFL career he’s going to have; being a short term mercenary for whoever’s willing to (over)pay him. 

So Adams is going to play for 10 mil this year and risk blowing out this knee and then never getting a long term deal/big money ever again?

Why would he do that?  That is just not smart.

His agent knows they has seattle bent over the barrel.  You do not risk long term/big time money when you have the upper hand.

If Adams plays this year for 10 mil and blows his knee out, hed be the dumbest player in the nfl and his agent would look like a total buffoon.  Never happening.

6 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Would make the Seahawks trade look horrific.

FOR THEM!!! 

6A6C015D-789C-490D-AD37-512829EA110C.gif

We all know that JD fleeced the Hawks and made them look bad, but do you compound the trade mistake by giving Adams a exorbitant contract which he really doesn’t deserve and will set franchise back even further? Me I let him walk knowing I may well get fired. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CSNY said:

We all know that JD fleeced the Hawks and made them look bad, but do you compound the trade mistake by giving Adams a exorbitant contract which he really doesn’t deserve and will set franchise back even further? Me I let him walk knowing I may well get fired. 

Dallas would probably give them a 2nd for him if he agrees to sign a reasonable contract first..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Agreed.  No way he sits out and leaves $10M on the table, that simply isn’t happening.  He would also have a tough time recouping the lost $10M in a new deal.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, CSNY said:

They’ll extend him and give him some window dressing non-guaranteed years that will make the contract look great, but they will no doubt have an out after two years.  Cap is going way up over the next few years, Seattle can easily absorb this. 

• Upvote 1

For those who want to wet their beaks so to speak.

http://www.hawkshack.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3939&start=80

Re: Here we go with Jamal Adams

http://www.hawkshack.com/forum/styles/prosilver/imageset/icon_post_target.gifby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:20 pm

I would not pay him myself. You want to be like the best teams around such as Pittsburgh and New England, you don't break the bank for players. You know very clearly that even players like Jamal Adams aren't worth the money because teams win. So you have to pay the value of the position and what it does in your sccheme.

That's why I'm getting so tired of Pete's shiny toy trades. This man should know his system, know the value of positional salary, and not being trading such draft capital for players who don't sign with their teams because they want to get paid too much money.

Adams isn't here to win and be part of a team like Russell Wilson, he's here to break the bank near as I can tell. Those type of players are toxic for a team.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, EM31 said:

For those who want to wet their beaks so to speak.

http://www.hawkshack.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3939&start=80

Re: Here we go with Jamal Adams

http://www.hawkshack.com/forum/styles/prosilver/imageset/icon_post_target.gifby Aseahawkfan » Sun Jul 11, 2021 5:20 pm

I would not pay him myself. You want to be like the best teams around such as Pittsburgh and New England, you don't break the bank for players. You know very clearly that even players like Jamal Adams aren't worth the money because teams win. So you have to pay the value of the position and what it does in your sccheme.

That's why I'm getting so tired of Pete's shiny toy trades. This man should know his system, know the value of positional salary, and not being trading such draft capital for players who don't sign with their teams because they want to get paid too much money.

Adams isn't here to win and be part of a team like Russell Wilson, he's here to break the bank near as I can tell. Those type of players are toxic for a team.

It's very interesting to me that Pete Carroll is the one getting assigned blame for trades, particularly the Adams trade, and not GM John Schneider.  It at least partly explains why Schneider got extended earlier in the offseason.  Sounds like he's mostly just a yes man for Carroll, and only handles certain aspects of the GM role.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So Adams is going to play for 10 mil this year and risk blowing out this knee and then never getting a long term deal/big money ever again?

Why would he do that?  That is just not smart.

His agent knows they has seattle bent over the barrel.  You do not risk long term/big time money when you have the upper hand.

If Adams plays this year for 10 mil and blows his knee out, hed be the dumbest player in the nfl and his agent would look like a total buffoon.  Never happening.

Adams is never getting much more than a 1-2 year deal. His ego won't allow him to get long term job security because he will always be looking for more money. Personally I hate the cap system, but it's a reality. Also he's a safety. Pro Bowl safeties are available every March. If a team is loading up for a run, makes more sense only to write that check for a season or 2 There' no reason for a team to lock up that position long term . And he only rushed the passer here because the Jets' defense was bereft of DE/OLB/edge pass rush. And a well-rounded defense, he would not be asked to do that but once or twice a game, tops.