Zach represented by Bosa's team and JD won't budge..

6 hours ago, slats said:

Yes, this offset language bull**** needs to be eliminated. The owners got what they wanted over a decade ago with these slotted salaries, with the cost of rookies going way down. For example, Mark Sánchez, as the fifth pick of the 2009 draft, signed a four year, $47M contract. Under the current CBA, Zach Wilson, picked #2 twelve years later, will sign a deal for $35M. The owners already won this battle, the offset language is just being greedy. First round contracts should just be fully guaranteed. Draft wisely. 

What’s crazier is Sam Bradford got $70mn more in his rookie contract than Trevor Lawrence and that was 11 years ago.  

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

What’s crazier is Sam Bradford got $70mn more in his rookie contract than Trevor Lawrence and that was 11 years ago.  

And thats how you were way behind the 8 ball if the QB turned into a bust.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Can you show the quotes from Wilson making these demands? 

I notice you didn't ask the same from the folks telling JD to "just pay him".

The only facts we have are our top 3 picks are unsigned.

Why are they unsigned?  I don't know. Neither do you.  We can only speculate, and one speculation is it's a disagreement over offset contract language.  A common enough reason for holdouts and unsigned picks of late it seems.

IMO, this should not be an issue nor a request made by players.  Both teams and players should be going into this with the belief that they will succeed.  A player (or his agent) going into their rookie year banking (via contract language) on failing, getting cut, and playing elsewhere before their rookie period would end, bothers me.  If they bust, they bust,  let any new team pay their salaries.  We shouldn't.  Nor should we be writing contracts to cover such things, if we (the Jets) thought they'd be busts, we wouldn't have drafted them.

One way or the other, I expect all our picks to be in camp day 1.  Any failure to do that is a failure of both the organization and the player in question for failing to get it done.

JMO, you're all free to hold your own opinions.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why are they unsigned?  I don't know. Neither do you.  We can only speculate, and one speculation is it's a disagreement over offset contract language.  A common enough reason for holdouts and unsigned picks of late it seems.

IMO, this should not be an issue nor a request made by players.  Both teams and players should be going into this with the belief that they will succeed.  A player (or his agent) going into their rookie year banking (via contract language) on failing, getting cut, and playing elsewhere before their rookie period would end, bothers me.  If they bust, they bust,  let any new team pay their salaries.  We shouldn't.  Nor should we be writing contracts to cover such things, if we (the Jets) thought they'd be busts, we wouldn't have drafted them.

One way or the other, I expect all our picks to be in camp day 1.  Any failure to do that is a failure of both the organization and the player in question for failing to get it done.

Yeah.  I saw after reading it that you were responding to people complaining about Douglas.  Just seemed that telling someone to STFU would warrant having at least one quote from the kid on the topic.

There are very few terms these guys haggle over on rookie deals.  The main reason to stick to your guns is to keep from setting a bad precedent.  We don't fully  know what is going on here.  I assume it will all be handled in a few days. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Maybe Wilson should STFU and show that HE has confidence in HIMSELF, and stop demanding "what if I bust" contract terms.  He's going to get many many millions regardless.

It’s not about any of that.  It’s about not screwing over every other player that comes after you.  The players are a union.  If Zach goes the unconventional route and takes a deal with language that screws him if he busts, that opens up Pandora’s Box for every single rookie that comes after him.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

If they remove the offsetting language, then it will set a precedence for all other draftees going forward. It’s not even about the cap anymore. JD has a boatload of cap. It’s about following your own principles. I don’t defend JD when he tries to save a dollar or two by playing hardball, but I’m with him this time. 

I hated when sh*ts like Revis held out after signing big deals. I also hated when JD forced Crowder to take a pay cut. 

A player already got the offsetting language removed.  Lawrence.  Giving it to Zach is not going to change any precedent.  Also, as someone already said, the owners already got what they wanted with the slotted money anyway.  They can afford to budge on this stupid offsetting language dilemma.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

A player already got the offsetting language removed.  Lawrence.  Giving it to Zach is not going to change any precedent.  Also, as someone already said, the owners already got what they wanted with the slotted money anyway.  They can afford to budge on this stupid offsetting language dilemma.

I think they also got it removed for Darnold no? So there is precedent.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

The precedent is for the team,  If the team starts doing it they will be doing it for everybody.  What the Jags did with Lawrence should not mean much for the team with the consolation prize.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

It’s not about any of that.  It’s about not screwing over every other player that comes after you.  The players are a union.  If Zach goes the unconventional route and takes a deal with language that screws him if he busts, that opens up Pandora’s Box for every single rookie that comes after him.

Does it though?  A #2 pick QB is not the same as other first rounders

10 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

I think they also got it removed for Darnold no? So there is precedent.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The precedent is for the team,  If the team starts doing it they will be doing it for everybody.  What the Jags did with Lawrence should not mean much for the team with the consolation prize.

Here are the details of Sam’s offset language.  They, ultimately, budged so Dinamite is right, while not exactly the same, the Jets have already, in theory, done the Lawrence contract in the past.  I’m assuming Joe is saying “but look at what happened with Darnold” in negotiations and this has turned into a pissing match:

EF969208-1FE0-43F1-8FB3-9F4E9666DB40.thumb.jpeg.eb99e5bd534e778e28b9c513cba04279.jpeg

Just now, johnnysd said:

Does it though?  A #2 pick QB is not the same as other first rounders

Yes.  This is a union.  The union is not telling players that other guys are more important than you and will be treated as such by us.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Here are the details of Sam’s offset language.  They, ultimately, budged so Dinamite is right, while not exactly the same, the Jets have already, in theory, done the Lawrence contract in the past.  I’m assuming Joe is saying “but look at what happened with Darnold” in negotiations and this has turned into a pissing match:

EF969208-1FE0-43F1-8FB3-9F4E9666DB40.thumb.jpeg.eb99e5bd534e778e28b9c513cba04279.jpeg

Yes.  This is a union.  The union is not telling players that other guys are more important than you and will be treated as such by us.

Doesn't this kind of make my point?  They did it for Darnold, so they have to do it for Wilson?  Do we actually know what the holdup is?  Maybe they are asking for more than Darnold.  I am pretty sure this nonsense will be sorted shortly.  If it creeps past a week I will start to bitch.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I blame Hackenberg and the rest of our top picks in drafts past that were ? 

12 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

It is just not ideal that every other team but the jets (maybe there is one more first round pick unsigned) manages to sign their picks on time, and we play hardball with silly language.

I stand corrected 4, now that AVT has signed.

• Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Doesn't this kind of make my point?  They did it for Darnold, so they have to do it for Wilson?  Do we actually know what the holdup is?  Maybe they are asking for more than Darnold.  I am pretty sure this nonsense will be sorted shortly.  If it creeps past a week I will start to bitch.

Pretty much.  I’m just including everyone who quoted me lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, genot said:

Despite you being a Jets fan, and a good dude, your admission here will cause you great misery in the future

I've already been wrong about Darnold once and survived (I thought Macc lucked into a winner by the grace of Gettleman). After this year (when Jets have a vested interest in the Panthers being bad) I really don't care what happens to Darnold. If he turns out to be one of those rare outliers that turns in around? I'll admit he fooled me twice and move on. Sometimes the long shots do come in.

I wonder, though, will his defenders be able to let it go so easily if he continues to suck? Judging by how long it took to stamp out the last embers of Sanchez and Geno excusers, defenders, and genuflectors, I think not. They refuse to even say what success would even look like. Gotta keep the backdoor open for future excuses.

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It’s ok. “ It’s Captain Morgan Time baby!!!” 

If Morgan ever starts a game for the Jets, we are all going to wish we were marooned on Captain Jack Sparrow’s rum island far from any TV sets.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I've already been wrong about Darnold once and survived (I thought Macc lucked into a winner by the grace of Gettleman). After this year (when Jets have a vested interest in the Panthers being bad) I really don't care what happens to Darnold. If he turns out to be one of those rare outliers that turns in around? I'll admit he fooled me twice and move on. Sometimes the long shots do come in.

I wonder, though, will his defenders be able to let it go so easily if he continues to suck? Judging by how long it took to stamp out the last embers of Sanchez and Geno excusers, defenders, and genuflectors, I think not. They refuse to even say what success would even look like. Gotta keep the backdoor open for future excuses.

Jeez, jbg, i was just making a joke about burying you in Darnold memes. Now that you let me know how much they annoy you.1957080303_OscarMadison.jpg.6be392f801a70ae899a83321e2cfbeca.jpg

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, genot said:

Jeez, jbg, i was just making a joke about burying you in Darnold memes. Now that you let me know how much they annoy you.1957080303_OscarMadison.jpg.6be392f801a70ae899a83321e2cfbeca.jpg

Lol my bad thought you meant my admission that I think Darnold will (continue to) fail.

Oh and the Darnold memes don’t annoy me. I hate them. And i love hatin’.

• Upvote 1