Zach represented by Bosa's team and JD won't budge..

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

Great, this nonsense again? just pay the kids what they’re slotted and let’s move on already

It's usually not the money.  These guys are slotted for salaries and 5th year options.  It's usually contract language and things like offset provisions that cause problems.  I remember Joey Bosa having a particularly acrimonious negotiation over offsets with the Chargers (as an example).

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

For a team with extra cap space wtf Is the difference in the grand scheme of things just sign the F**KING guys already F**K

There's not much for rookies to negotiate anymore so agents tend to try to get as much as possible from the team. Some little concession that someone didn't previously get (usually focused around salary offset since it is one of the few areas they can do anything with). Since the agent needs to show some value to the client...they try to drive a hard bargain especially when they know the team has a public perception problem like the Jets do. The uproar if Zach doesn't make it into camp would be gigantic. 

Whether whatever quibble Zach's team wants is worth fighting or not, I don't know. Just have to trust Douglas knows the answer to that.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

It's usually not the money.  These guys are slotted for salaries and 5th year options.  It's usually contract language and things like offset provisions that cause problems.  I remember Joey Bosa having a particularly acrimonious negotiation over offsets with the Chargers (as an example).

Yup. It’s going to be the same deal. I’d say probably 2,3 day holdout

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Sam will be here for 10 years just….,

Sam had the same type of holdout and he was still easy to get rid of.

Just do what you can to get him in as soon as possible and worry about the rest later.  Douglas might not have a job if Zach bombs so he shouldn’t really worry about those “what if” scenarios too heavily.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Sam had the same type of holdout and he was still easy to get rid of.

Just do what you can to get him in as soon as possible and worry about the rest later.  Douglas might not have a job if Zach bombs so he shouldn’t really worry about those “what if” scenarios too heavily.

Jacksonville drooped their pants. JD is not going to just copy it to make it go away 

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Yes, this offset language bull**** needs to be eliminated. The owners got what they wanted over a decade ago with these slotted salaries, with the cost of rookies going way down. For example, Mark Sánchez, as the fifth pick of the 2009 draft, signed a four year, $47M contract. Under the current CBA, Zach Wilson, picked #2 twelve years later, will sign a deal for $35M. The owners already won this battle, the offset language is just being greedy. First round contracts should just be fully guaranteed. Draft wisely. 

In the case of Bosa it wasn’t just the offset language.  The Chargers were, maybe still are, notorious for not wanting to pay the signing bonus up front and would rather defer it over time, that’s why they typically  have the most trouble with their first round pick negotiations.  

When it comes to a highly drafted QB, squabbling over offset is tedious because if it were to be an issue down the road, it would mean that the QB failed to develop and was a failure.  If that is the case, the team has far greater problems than whatever offset language was negotiated 4 years earlier.   

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Mogglez said:

They didn’t drop their pants at all.  They gave their highly touted 1st overall pick, who plays the most important position in sports, favorable language in his contract in order to get a deal done and get him in for camp.  The money was already slotted.  Douglas should follow suit with the guy picked one slot later.

Would argue it's #2, behind a hockey goaltender, but that's splitting hairs.?

• Haha 1

So rookies are supposed to report today.  I'm guessing Zach, AVT and Moore won't be there.

I don't think the first practice is until next week....but still missing valuable classroom time.

Someone DM Zach's mom and see if they can get some info.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If I were a player, rookie deal I would do myself, and save the 7.5%.  All the agent is going to do is cause confussion for his ego.

Second deal ya need an agent.

Is it really 7.5% ?  Yes, no need for an agent for the first deal.

12 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Offset language only comes into play if he doesn’t play out his rookie contract. Show some confidence in your decision on the number 2 pick. This is not the time to play hardball.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Maybe Wilson should STFU and show that HE has confidence in HIMSELF, and stop demanding "what if I bust" contract terms.  He's going to get many many millions regardless.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 3

It just seems down right un-American to get paid not to play for one team while you're being paid to play for another. Of course, this happens with coaches all the time. For example, I believe we were paying half of Bowles salary to be DC for Tampa 2018-19, which was a compromise between all parties. But that doesn't impact salary cap so who cares.

Offset language can also lead to a moral hazard situation by removing some incentive for a player to maximize his next contract (or to play at all). I'm surprised Belichick doesn't sign FAs with offset language at league minimum ("Hey, you're going to get paid either way, what do you care if it comes from us of from your former team? Come get a ring.")

• Upvote 1