Does Zach Wilson suck ?

2 minutes ago, deucebag said:

The answer to the question should be:  Yes Zach Wilson does suck, but so did Josh Allen.  The million dollar question is can our coaching staff harness the raw talent and turn this young stud into an NFL QB?

Josh Allen is a different breed. He was able to move the offense solely on his running ability his first two years in the league. That’s why I preferred Fields and Lance to Wilson. The better running threat always has the higher floor. 

My concern is we drafted a less athletic version of Trubisky. That is not a playable QB in this league. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ZacharyWilson said:

Hey, the first thing I said as soon as I hit the exit tunnel, quite loudly, was, "I'm concerned!"

But of the choice of all guys in the draft or even keeping Darnold, how a guy with those kind of issues could be seen as the best option doesn't really make sense to me.

Arrgghhh … that’s not what I heard you yell, matey!

’‘tis my time. Yo ho!

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

What are you taking about? 

Tom Brady threw 12 INTs as a 2nd year player during his 1st year starting. 

Josh Allen = 12 rookie INTs. 

Joe Montana = 12 INTs during his 3rd year as a full-time 1st year starter. 

Troy Aikman = 18 Rookie INTs only 11 starts. 

Ben Roethlisberger = 11 rookie INTs. 

Aaron Rodgers = 13 INTS as a 4th year player but 1st year starter. 

Our kid Joe Namath = 15 Rookie INTs.

Once again, what are you talking about and how many PRACTICE INT's did those sucky QBs toss as rookies in practice? 

That's what you remind me of right about now...

My God. Stop wasting  everyone's  time

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Which QB should we have drafted? Can anyone let me know?

Trevor Lawrence = multiple INT practices. 

Zach Wilson = multiple INT practices.

Trey Lance = multiple INT practices. 

Justin Fields = multiple INT practices. 

Mac Jones = multiple INT practices. 

Who the heck was Joe Douglas supposed to draft during the 1st round who wouldn't have ended up tossing multiple INT practices? 

Penei Sewell? So we could've kept real game INT MACHINE Sam Darnold?!?

I can already tell this place is going to become the Bronx zoo the very moment our Rookie kid QB tosses his first rookie INT...

I mean seriously, did you start posting here last night? It's  the internet. Any thing that Zach does good or bad and apparently  his mother as well is going to get put under a microscope. We have had these crazy threads here since people were able to post on usenet. You pointing this out is only adding to the disfunction  of the thread. Let it wash out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

I mean seriously, did you start posting here last night? It's  the internet. Any thing that Zach does good or bad and apparently  his mother as well is going to get put under a microscope. We have had these crazy threads here since people were able to post on usenet. You pointing this out is only adding to the disfunction  of the thread. Let it wash out. 

Yes, but any slight criticism of Zach shouldn’t result in downvotes. We all want him to do well, but some fans call it like they see it. Darnold skeptics were treated very poorly on Reddit, Twitter, and Jets message boards. 

This is an interesting tidbit from Connor Hughes: 

"After an impressive stretch of organized team activities and minicamp practices, along with a nice start to training camp, Wilson has struggled some in recent days, and there might be a reason for that. Those early practices were all scripted. The Jets went over in meetings every play they would run, then went out on the field and repped it. Wilson knew what was coming, so he could go prepare his mind before taking the field.

The Jets started live drills on the seventh day of training camp, meaning Wilson found out what play was coming when offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur radioed it into his head. The young quarterback looks much more like a young quarterback in these periods. That was the case Saturday, too. The Jets ran through two scripted series before they began their scrimmage. Wilson completed all four of his pass attempts, highlighted by a long gainer to Ryan Griffin."

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DannyDevito3 said:

They absolutely can and should bench him for Morgan/White if he continues to struggle and turn the ball over him training camp and the preseason. 

You can discount it as a practice all you want, but if Zach looks lost in a scrimmage it’s not all of a sudden going to get better for him in the NFL regular season. Let him develop behind the scenes a bit so he builds some confidence in what he’s doing. 

Then who are we going bench Mike White and James Morgan for when they stink too? Zach not being ready isn’t going to all of a sudden makes those two, or even one of them turn into competent NFL QBs. I wish it was that simple of a solution but I don’t think it is. It’s likely ride or die with the little fella. 

33 minutes ago, DannyDevito3 said:

Josh Allen is a different breed. He was able to move the offense solely on his running ability his first two years in the league. That’s why I preferred Fields and Lance to Wilson. The better running threat always has the higher floor. 

My concern is we drafted a less athletic version of Trubisky. That is not a playable QB in this league. 

1st - You don't draft QB's for their floor.

2nd - ZW and MT are not even remotely the same player - you really can't compare QB's.  You can just as easily say I'm excited because we drafted a more athletic version of Tom Brady.

1 hour ago, ZacharyWilson said:

Sure, but there's a difference in being wrong on a prospect and completely missing GLARING deficiencies like the ones you saw.

If you put together a scouting report and it said:

-Yolo balls galore

- Sees phantom pressure

- Loves to throw off back foot

Would YOU draft him and stake your career, basically on him?

OMG I'm having PTSD form the draft.  I didnt say he sees phantom pressure or that he loves to throw off his backfoot.  Those 2 criticisms never came from this keyboard.  I shared what I would have done at #2 ad nauseum and I'm not rehashing it.  The bottom line is, I cant control any of that, all I can do is hope Zachkapono is the real deal and works through what I believe are the gaps in his game.  And it's fine for him to have gaps in his game, all rookies do, it's expected.  It's so strange how you all gets so defensive over this for no reason.  No prospect is perfect.  You draft them based on what you believe that they can become and all I can do is hope JD was right.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

This is an interesting tidbit from Connor Hughes: 

"After an impressive stretch of organized team activities and minicamp practices, along with a nice start to training camp, Wilson has struggled some in recent days, and there might be a reason for that. Those early practices were all scripted. The Jets went over in meetings every play they would run, then went out on the field and repped it. Wilson knew what was coming, so he could go prepare his mind before taking the field.

The Jets started live drills on the seventh day of training camp, meaning Wilson found out what play was coming when offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur radioed it into his head. The young quarterback looks much more like a young quarterback in these periods. That was the case Saturday, too. The Jets ran through two scripted series before they began their scrimmage. Wilson completed all four of his pass attempts, highlighted by a long gainer to Ryan Griffin."

Interesting.

This is actually very good news.  Really just means it's a function of repetition and learning the system.  Not a skill-set or ability thing.

With time and practice he'll be more prepared...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

OMG I'm having PTSD form the draft.  I didnt say he sees phantom pressure or that he loves to throw off his backfoot.  Those 2 criticisms never came from this keyboard.  I shared what I would have done at #2 ad nauseum and I'm not rehashing it.  The bottom line is, I cant control any of that, all I can do is hope Zachkapono is the real deal and works through what I believe are the gaps in his game.  And it's fine for him to have gaps in his game, all rookies do, it's expected.  It's so strange how you all gets so defensive over this for no reason.  No prospect is perfect.  You draft them based on what you believe that they can become and all I can do is hope JD was right.

He didnt face any pressure in college, which is always going to be a dice roll in terms of how he can handle it in the league. Watching Becton lollygag on his blind side probably isnt helping his confidence either.

41 minutes ago, DannyDevito3 said:

Yes, but any slight criticism of Zach shouldn’t result in downvotes. We all want him to do well, but some fans call it like they see it. Darnold skeptics were treated very poorly on Reddit, Twitter, and Jets message boards. 

Actually  people who supported Darnold were also treated poorly. No matter what position you take, someone will take it poorly. 

Zack is on his Jet honeymoon  this season so I believe he getz a pass on all this stuff. I almost never down vote anyone unless you say something that is just being mean and pointless. Others it's  the only thing they do here. 

10 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

1985 bears???

Cmon let's stay off the moonshine for a second here. He needs to start stringing together good practices. If you use the excuse that our defense is too good then you are saying that he can only look good against bad defenses.

Stop it...if he can't have 2 or 3 practices....GOOD ONES in a row then you need to stop singing his praises until he earns it.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

He's had good practices but people who have no understand of the game, of sports, panic and throw all the good out with a down performance.  

He scrimmaged against by all accounts to a tough defense.  He was playing his first game like situation, taking plays through a headset live, not scripted.

Hes had two to three  good practices in a row so is it ok to sing his praises?  

Dont call it Jets suicide watch desk, call it SOJF suicide watch.   They're the only ones paniced considering a draft pick could be a bust off of a scrimmage.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DannyDevito3 said:

Less athletic version of who?  

Were you any smarter when you were DannyDevito2 or DannyDavito.  That's the real question here.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He didnt face any pressure in college, which is always going to be a dice roll in terms of how he can handle it in the league. Watching Becton lollygag on his blind side probably isnt helping his confidence either.

For sure and the only thing that concerns me about that is if he's feeling pressure now, when they cant him and the CB's cant go after the ball, then what does that look like come game time when the simulation is over? 

The jump was always going to be a mighty challenge which is why I really wanted to have a bridge vet in here to at least take the pressure off a little bit, especially considering the situation which is even more severe with the unfortunate passing of Knapp.  Lance, Fields and Jones are technically playing behind a vet and even TL has Minshew who refuses to be considered a #2.  Not only is it someone to bounce sh*t off of but it's also competition.   Just very strange to me that the same GM who watched Luke Faulk take snaps under center during his tenure, would do it all over again with an ever bigger question mark behind center. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean yo think hell be a stud automatically because what??

I don't think he'll be a stud automatically. However, I'm willing to wait for actual games to be played before I start jumping for joy and putting him in Canton; just as I'll wait before assuming the worst and whining about him being a potential bust.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DannyDevito3 said:

I fail to understand why he’s being handed the started job without any semblance of competition. 

God forbid he gets some reps against the 2nd team to build confidence

Yeah, let him build up some false confidence against the second stringers. Two things... Reps are limited in practice so he needs all the quality reps he can get. Also, you learn from taking your lumps and making mistakes. That would be why he is starting already. If the Jets had an established QB things might be different. Either way you only get better by playing a better opponent as opposed to feeling good about mopping up guys who may be cut in a few weeks.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I still can’t believe we didn’t do this. Feels like malpractice

Certainly the most Jetsy thing this regime has done so far. Crazy too, because looks like a majority of things they done will move  this team towards having a positive future. Of course this may have been the most important to do and very well may result in everything crashing and burning. Yep, still the Jets still. 

• Upvote 1

One scrimmage and people are jumping ship.  This is what happens when a fan base has been beaten down so long and so  unmercifully.  Give the kid a chance.  Give him time.  This is the most difficult position in all of sports.  There is a reason why the elite are paid ungodly sums of money.  Some guys like Dan Marino excelled immediately but most, like Peyton Manning and Troy Aikman needed time to learn and grow.  I watched Joe Namath grow and develop with his team.  It took four years for them to win a SB but it was worth it and along the way we had some exciting, fun and quality football to enjoy.  I'm optimistic that this can happen under Zach and the new management.  I'm not judging this season by wins and losses alone.  I read that the LaFleur type offense doesn't really begin to blossom and explode until the second season.  Meanwhile, our defense looks pretty good. Onward and upward.

• Upvote 4