VERY Early Observations of Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance

Between Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields and Mac this could end up becoming a legendary QB draft class. I think they can all become great. But the only one who truly matters to us is Zach Wilson. 

We haven't featured a Franchise QB since dating back to Joe Namath and a healthy Chad Pennington in order to build around (wasn't healthy for long) so moving forward I just want to focus on Zach's development and progression.

(these other kid QBs mean nothingness to us).

Can't believe no one is talking about how bad 2nd round pick Kyle Trask of TB looked...

Kyle Trask: 
4/15 (.266%). 
35 passing yards (2.3 yards per attempt).
2 sacks. 
0 TDs. 
QB Rating of only 36.9. 

Jets fans would be flipping out right now if Zach Wilson looked like Trask just did.

Florida Gators QBs stink once making it to the NFL. 

5 hours ago, doitny said:

i heard on the radio from a few people that the jags OL is horrible. some including our ex GM think they should sit Trevor until they fix it or there going to get him killed. i didn't see the game so i don't know how true it is.

The Browns second teamers were wrecking them. Imagine what Garrett would have done.

Shame we don't play them until Christmas. Hopefully everyone's healthy. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, nycdan said:

That's a very suspect statistic.  Watching his snaps, he rolls out a lot, which is naturally going to add time to how long he holds the ball.

There was a lot to not like in the early part of the video, but as it went on, he settled down and extended a number of plays with his feet.  It would not surprise me if he had a good season, as long as CHI can give him time to find his receivers.

what i saw was his being so so at first and then being much better against 3rd stringers when they came in.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

what i saw was his being so so at first and then being much better against 3rd stringers when they came in.

Fields was indeed a mixed bag. Some nice throws mixed with off target slings. Miami did a generally poor job pressuring against a relatively weak Chicago OL, which also contributed to long release times by Fields. It's way too early to tell with any of these QB's what they really are capable of against first tier defenses. Hardest thing for rookie QB's is consistency. We shall see.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Fields was indeed a mixed bag. Some nice throws mixed with off target slings. Miami did a generally poor job pressuring against a relatively weak Chicago OL, which also contributed to long release times by Fields. It's way too early to tell with any of these QB's what they really are capable of against first tier defenses. Hardest thing for rookie QB's is consistency. We shall see.

i think he was impressive in his poise and command of the game vs a vanilla D and clearly second rate players. i think this being the first preseason game and him being a rookie...he did exactly what he was supposed to do...so we shall see.

my issue is the same as it was in college. he locks into his reads too much...and where guys like @JiFapono will tell you otherwise, in the NFL you have to make the most of open throws, not throw into coverage.

this is from the game, he threw to the guy at the bottom of the screen...look at the guy at the top of the screen.

image.thumb.png.41f10f272ee3795cb8ae00ffd8f9e6b5.png

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

i think he was impressive in his poise and command of the game vs a vanilla D and clearly second rate players. i think this being the first preseason game and him being a rookie...he did exactly what he was supposed to do...so we shall see.

my issue is the same as it was in college. he locks into his reads too much...and where guys like @JiFapono will tell you otherwise, in the NFL you have to make the most of open throws, not throw into coverage.

this is from the game, he threw to the guy at the bottom of the screen...look at the guy at the top of the screen.

image.thumb.png.41f10f272ee3795cb8ae00ffd8f9e6b5.png

lmfao - you're still doing this?  

News flash, I dont care.

15 hours ago, flgreen said:

For what it's worth I saw a tweet from PFF, (might have been on JN) saying Fields ave time of release was 3.7 secs.  Wilson's was 2.4.  If true, that's HUGE

Big Ben led all starters in snap to throw last year.  Josh Allen was last.  This goes to show you …. who gives a ****?  You can be effective either way.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Big Ben led all starters in snap to throw last year.  Josh Allen was last.  This goes to show you …. who gives a ****?  You can be effective either way.

Allen is a unicorn though. Typically guys can’t get away with holding it too long. 

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Can't believe no one is talking about how bad 2nd round pick Kyle Trask of TB looked...

Kyle Trask: 
4/15 (.266%). 
2 sacks. 
0 TDs. 
QB Rating of only 36.9. 

Jets fans would be flipping out right now if Zach Wilson looked like Trask just did.

Not if we drafted him in the second round. You expect a project with that. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Allen is a unicorn though. Typically guys can’t get away with holding it too long. 

Yes, because he such a threat to run they can’t just run balls out towards him. Plus, I think most NFL players deep down don’t really want to tackle that big bastard. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Kyle Trask: 
4/15 (.266%). 
2 sacks. 
0 TDs. 
QB Rating of only 36.9. 

3057986.png&w=350&h=254

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes, because he such a threat to run they can’t just run balls out towards him. Plus, I think most NFL players deep down don’t really want to tackle that big bastard. 

Other notable QBs besides Allen that are near the bottom of the snap to throw rankings are:  Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Baker Mayfield & Lamar Jackson.   Other notables at the top besides Big Ben: Rivers, Brady, Fitzpatrick, Jimmy G, Dalton, Haskins.

Another interesting observation when you study snap to throw stats throughout the years, is that players can improve their number.  Early in Big Ben’s career he used to be at the bottom of list. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

You can accuse him of forcing a couple throws into skin tight man on man coverage but nothing was really off target.    All his negative plays came in the 3rd series where he had a fumbled low snap, a  throw over the middle off the back foot & another fumble doing a spin move down the sidelines.

12 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Other notable QBs besides Allen that are near the bottom of the snap to throw rankings are:  Russell Wilson, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Baker Mayfield & Lamar Jackson.   Other notables at the top besides Big Ben: Rivers, Brady, Fitzpatrick, Jimmy G, Dalton, Haskins.

Another interesting observation when you study snap to throw stats throughout the years, is that players can improve their number.  Early in Big Ben’s career he used to be at the bottom of list. 

Early in Ben's career he ran a lot more.  It's really a pointless statistic unless you limit it to pocket throws where the QB never rolls out.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Between Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Fields and Mac this could end up becoming a legendary QB draft class. I think they can all become great. But the only one who truly matters to us is Zach Wilson. 

We haven't featured a Franchise QB since dating back to Joe Namath and a healthy Chad Pennington in order to build around (wasn't healthy for long) so moving forward I just want to focus on Zach's development and progression.

(these other kid QBs mean nothingness to us).

Indeed.  It also looks like there will be a good, steady supply of quality QBs  coming out of college and getting right to work in the NFL in the years to come.  NFL teams are running more college style passing games these days and there are piles of kids that are training to be the next NFL MVP QB from an early age.  Colleges have oodles of kids to recruit from.  Justin Herbert and Joe Burrow already  look like nice NFL starting QBs.  Josh Allen and the crotch grabber also look to be well on the way.  Now you can add Wilson, Fields, Jones, Lawrence and Lance to the batch of newly minted NFL QB's.  And next year, figure on at least three more entering the league.  It wont be nearly as hard to find a good QB as it has been in past years.  With rookie pay, teams can also easily "ROSEN" their QB selection if he sucks.  A blown QB draft pick in round one does not set a team back for 5 years like it used to.

38 minutes ago, legler82 said:

You can accuse him of forcing a couple throws into skin tight man on man coverage but nothing was really off target.    All his negative plays came in the 3rd series where he had a fumbled low snap, a  throw over the middle off the back foot & another fumble doing a spin move down the sidelines.

LOL. I'm not accusing him of anything. He looked like a decent rookie. 

14 hours ago, nycdan said:

That's a very suspect statistic.  Watching his snaps, he rolls out a lot, which is naturally going to add time to how long he holds the ball.

There was a lot to not like in the early part of the video, but as it went on, he settled down and extended a number of plays with his feet.  It would not surprise me if he had a good season, as long as CHI can give him time to find his receivers.

Also helped that he played through the 3rd and into the early 4th.  Miraculously he looked better against 3rd and 4th strongers

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Some are its only pre-season  its what's done in the regular season that counts. 

I have faith in Zach Wilson. 

What do we have to compare other than Preseason games for now.

Poi t is you said Wilson want getting cred and he got plenty

32 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Also helped that he played through the 3rd and into the early 4th.  Miraculously he looked better against 3rd and 4th strongers

He didn’t play in the 4th & I don’t know how Jets fans suddenly became such experts of CHI’s depth chart.  Why do we need to make things up &/or try so hard to discredit?  It’s possible for multiple young QBs to play well.  It’s not a mutually exclusive event.

Just now, legler82 said:

He didn’t play in the 4th & I don’t know how Jets fans suddenly became such experts of CHI’s depth chart.  Why do we need to make things up &/or try so hard to discredit?  It’s possible for multiple young QBs to play well.  It’s not a mutually exclusive event.

He played with the 2nd string in the first and struggled big time

He got better and the D got deeper and deeper into the roster

Im sorry you love Fields or whatever this is about but that was the game.  I could care less how good or bad Fields is.  I liked Fields and Wilson and was adament that my pick would be Wilson but would be fine, would understand if the pick was Fields

And, yes Fields DID play into the 4th.  He was playing with 5 left in the 4th