Surgery for Becton, out 4-8 wks

BroadwayRay

4 minutes ago, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Looks lazy and out of shape..... sorry figured I'd get a jump on the hate

I remember klecko during everything he could the first minute he could (in 82 with a ruptured patella tendon and 86 with an acl)

this guy is just lazy and seems uninterested in everything except breakfast lunch and dinner

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BP said:

Anybody know how much weight he gained on IR? He’s been gorging himself for two months with limited activity. Really good for taking stress off that surgically repaired knee.

Mot practicing, obviously,

Sigh.

Again, he is a big guy. But he got far in college simply with size. You cannot do that in the NFL. Everyone worth a damn in the trenches is working out, watching tape, deveoping technique, getting better.  The question remains it he is willing to do the work. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/4/2021 at 10:41 AM, SAR I said:

The reason he was hyped was because of his unusual frame.  Very big up top, very athletic at the bottom, ran fast at the combine for an enormous mountain, freakish speed and size, etc.  What we know now is what the rest of the league knows-  traditional lower/squattier linemen are successful and last a long time in this league and anomalies like Becton don't.

Joe Douglas is conservative with his free agent money and a miser with his draft capital, but he is the most high-risk wheeler-dealer GM we've ever seen.  He thinks he can outsmart the league at every turn.  He picks up other team's castoff flawed players, drafts high ceiling/low floor types in the 1st round, has a fetish for tiny RB's and WR's, and ignores injury histories.  Douglas is bizarre.  Like someone who buys a cheap used car with bad handling and weak brakes and drives it like a maniac because he thinks he's a better driver than he is.

SAR I

Not entirely. Number of great big LTs like Walter Jones, Joe Jacoby, Jon Ogden, Jumbo et al. Difference is those guys never stopped working. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Mot practicing, obviously,

Sigh.

Again, he is a big guy. But he got far in college simply with size. You cannot do that in the NFL. Everyone worth a damn in the trenches is working out, watching tape, deveoping technique, getting better.  The question remains it he is willing to do the work. 

How many pulled hamstrings and torn/ruptured Achilles do the Jets have this year? I think this comes down to the Jets never being able to develop young players and the fact that they have almost all interns on their training staff, which is a joke.

I mean if they have no game plan for the fatty, he gonna eat and be lazy. It’s the Jets responsibility to give these guys direction and protect their own investment. But the entire organization is incompetent, and it all starts at the top.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BP said:

How many pulled hamstrings and torn/ruptured Achilles do the Jets have this year? I think this comes down to the Jets never being able to develop young players and the fact that they have almost all interns on their training staff, which is a joke.

I mean if they have no game plan for the fatty, he gonna eat and be lazy. It’s the Jets responsibility to give these guys direction and protect their own investment. But the entire organization is incompetent, and it all starts at the top.

This can all be deciphered in the pre draft process if guys arent self starters. Watching one interview with Becton you could tell that he wasnt mr competitive. More of a miss by the front office than whoever's running their conditioning. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Matt39 said:

This can all be deciphered in the pre draft process if guys arent self starters. Watching one interview with Becton you could tell that he wasnt mr competitive. More of a miss by the front office than whoever's running their conditioning. 

You didn't even need to watch one interview to know that the guy bottomed out at 364 pounds. It is painful how obvious this is in hindsight.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

With Becton I agree. But it just seems the whole team is not in very good shape. It’s been posted before, a comparison of the Jets and the Steelers training staff and it was a joke. The Jets were the joke, not the Steelers.

3 minutes ago, BP said:

With Becton I agree. But it just seems the whole team is not in very good shape. It’s been posted before, a comparison of the Jets and the Steelers training staff and it was a joke. The Jets were the joke, not the Steelers.

Chris Johnson keeps himself thin.

• Haha 1

The Jets are a business, and every business earns profit based on its revenue over its expenses. 

The Jets have to spend money on players, both for NFLPA reasons and optical reasons.  But some here have pointed out how the Jets game the system and try and spend less than other teams.   GAAP is not the same as salary cap.

The Jets spend money on coaches.  It was clear to many of us that the Jets tried to save money on coaches before.  I think they stepped this up this year, maybe.  Saleh was expensive but my guess is that Ulbrich and Lafleur are not. Gregg Williams was expensive.  Loggains was not.  

The Jets spend money on training staff, etc.  They just stepped that effort up, supposedly.  Some have pointed out that the Jets use more interns than other teams.  When Sal Alosi was the SC coach the Jets were in good shape.  I don’t know how good a shape they are in.   How many Achilles did we tear this year?  Three?

But it should not be a surprise if there are people in Florham Park trying not to spend money.  That is their job, but someone has to also push to get the results on the field that is desired.  

21 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Imagine how set this franchise would be if they were Wirfs and Fields instead 

So you wish instead of a solid-good LT in becton you’d rather have a good RT? RTs are much easier to find than LT. Have you watched any bears games? Assuming based on your perspective it becomes obvious that you haven’t. He has struggled heavily so far. 

3 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

So you wish instead of a solid-good LT in becton you’d rather have a good RT? RTs are much easier to find than LT. Have you watched any bears games? Assuming based on your perspective it becomes obvious that you haven’t. He has struggled heavily so far. 

lol

Wirfs is on pace to make the hall of fame. Becton can't get on the field

The whole left tackle vs right tackle thing has to be most overrated concept in sports. As if the great pass rushers can't just move to the other side. George Fant has actually found it easier at Left Tackle and the line would have been better off reinforcing the right side. 

As of now it was an atrocious decision by Joe Douglas. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

lol

The whole left tackle vs right tackle thing has to be most overrated concept in sports. As if the great pass rushers can't just move to the other side. George Fant has actually found it easier at Left Tackle and the line would have been better off reinforcing the right side. 

Make the hall of fame lmao. Let’s see what happens when he doesn’t have the goat qb in his corner who gets the ball out insanely fast. It’s a fact that RT is easier to find than LT. Teams #1 edge usually is on the LT which is why they are paid substantially more.  Look at Moses he’s been fine at RT and was a late addition. Fant is a better lt because he’s more of a finesse blocker and the team tends to run to the right for whatever reason (his run blocking has been poor). As other posters have mentioned this is a weird injury that isn’t on becton. Stuff happens. When he is in the field he is a dominant run blocker and has been improving in the pass game. 

12 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

lol

So I guess every GM in the NFL head it won't and you have it right. There's a reason they draft LTs higher and pay them more.

?

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So I guess every GM in the NFL head it won't and you have it right. There's a reason they draft LTs higher and pay them more.

?

I mean no one in hindsight would take Becton over Wirfs now regardless of position.  The Bucs also had the luxury of having Donovan Smith. Wirfs would be playing LT if he wasn’t there.

Silver lining is the Jets found a better LT who was already on their roster.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

I mean no one in hindsight would take Becton over Wirfs now. The Bucs also had the luxury of having Donovan Smith. Wirfs would be playing LT if he wasn’t there.

Silver lining is the Jets found a better LT who was already on their roster.

Y'all are funny with this Fant is better than Becton narrative.