Surgery for Becton, out 4-8 wks

BroadwayRay

On 11/2/2021 at 7:20 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!

A guy who was dominating his rookie year, with average coaching at best and one of the few bright spots for the Jets is now the person we mock because he got hurt!

Ummmmm you can't make it up....

Let's Go Jets!

Except he didnt dominate his rookie year. He gave up a bunch of sacks and took a lot of penalties.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Except he didnt dominate his rookie year. He gave up a bunch of sacks and took a lot of penalties.

In run blocking he certainly did dominate. He was one of the better LTs in the league at run blocking as a rookie. Not bad at all for a guy considered very raw coming out of college. 

• Upvote 1

fant is listed as 6-6 and 322, becton is 6-7 and 363.  becton can probably afford to drop 20-30 lbs.  but i don't get all of the hate against becton.  he did very well during his rookie season.  those penalties (all 6) were all for false start so he must have done a good job staying in front of his man.  he's still young so if he did get out of shape, oh well.  if he wants it enough he'll come around.  at least he didn't wreck his car doing 156 and kill a person.  and he didn't drive his car into his driveway with a loaded gun in his car.  he'll be coming back at the right time to help this team win.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Most athletic linemen are built this way. 

Most linemen are actually less lean that what Becton is.

There was (and is) concern that his total frame can withstand some of his freakish athletic abilities. That said, the latest injury has NOTHING to do with that. Let me roll up on the side of your knee and see how your body withstands that.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Bechton to dudes here is like a lesser day JR Richard.

Man, that dude was a lazy ass do nothing sloth. 

Or maybe not. Who am I to point that out.  

Kids today. You know. 

JR Richard? Not.

JR was dominant when healthy, and even though he told everyone something was wrong, he kept going out there until he had the stroke.

I think the better comp for Becton is Jed Lowrie.

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Most athletic linemen are built this way. Not many NFL linemen with cankles.

The reason he was hyped was because of his unusual frame.  Very big up top, very athletic at the bottom, ran fast at the combine for an enormous mountain, freakish speed and size, etc.  What we know now is what the rest of the league knows-  traditional lower/squattier linemen are successful and last a long time in this league and anomalies like Becton don't.

Joe Douglas is conservative with his free agent money and a miser with his draft capital, but he is the most high-risk wheeler-dealer GM we've ever seen.  He thinks he can outsmart the league at every turn.  He picks up other team's castoff flawed players, drafts high ceiling/low floor types in the 1st round, has a fetish for tiny RB's and WR's, and ignores injury histories.  Douglas is bizarre.  Like someone who buys a cheap used car with bad handling and weak brakes and drives it like a maniac because he thinks he's a better driver than he is.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

22 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Most linemen are actually less lean that what Becton is.

There was (and is) concern that his total frame can withstand some of his freakish athletic abilities. That said, the latest injury has NOTHING to do with that. Let me roll up on the side of your knee and see how your body withstands that.

Been there...

I was 6-2 220 and it took me out

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

For the sake of accuracy, at the combine Becton measured  17%  body fat. Not sure what he is today, but he did not let himself go THAT much.

We should all have such problems.

What’s it supposed to be? I just assumed me being under 50% body fat was a win. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The reason he was hyped was because of his unusual frame.  Very big up top, very athletic at the bottom, ran fast at the combine for an enormous mountain, freakish speed and size, etc.  What we know now is what the rest of the league knows-  traditional lower/squattier linemen are successful and last a long time in this league and anomalies like Becton don't.

Joe Douglas is conservative with his free agent money and a miser with his draft capital, but he is the most high-risk wheeler-dealer GM we've ever seen.  He thinks he can outsmart the league at every turn.  He picks up other team's castoff flawed players, drafts high ceiling/low floor types in the 1st round, has a fetish for tiny RB's and WR's, and ignores injury histories.  Douglas is bizarre.  Like someone who buys a cheap used car with bad handling and weak brakes and drives it like a maniac because he thinks he's a better driver than he is.

SAR I

Bectons issues are not related to him getting rolled up. His recovery timetable and his desire to get back- probably..but this past injury? Nah. Taking himself out of games last year is a much bigger flag than a freak injury where he got rolled up.

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Bectons issues are not related to him getting rolled up. His recovery timetable and his desire to get back- probably..but this past injury? Nah. Taking himself out of games last year is a much bigger flag than a freak injury where he got rolled up.

In general, the guy is undependable and even the most rational supporter must believe he would be hard pressed to make it through an entire 17 game season unscathed.  High ceiling low floor = big risk.  And here we are.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

WTF?

There is so much opinionated guesswork in this post, I would not even start to uncoil all of the speculative untruths.

Trolling is one thing. Spitball trolling is whole other level of foolishness.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

WTF?

There is so much opinionated guesswork in this post, I would not even start to uncoil all of the speculative untruths.

Trolling is one thing. Spitball trolling is whole other level of foolishness.

This is what we’re left with here, 2 series SAR. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Imagine how set this franchise would be if they were Wirfs and Fields instead 

Wirfs would be nice. Fields the jury is still out but he is who I preferred after Lawrence. Real question is if they traded down and still got fields who else  could we have had? Yet, to be fair jury still out on Wilson but somethIng to think about. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, DjHoldyHold said:

I think the line has looked better without Becton. Not excellent but before he got hurt he wasn't playing that great. With an injury to Moses now we may need him back however.

They are dead last is rushing yards, and have the worst yards before contact.

Zach Wilson was pressured 30.7% of the time. Mike White was pressured 17.8%. Both have been given the same amount of time 2.4 in the pocket. They have given up 24 sacks.

The line has 2 weak spots in the passing game, Right Guard and Right Tackle. In the Run game its RG and LT.

• Upvote 1

On 11/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, DjHoldyHold said:

I think the line has looked better without Becton. Not excellent but before he got hurt he wasn't playing that great. With an injury to Moses now we may need him back however.

The line was learning a new system. Of course they've improved with experience in it. This was predictable and has nothing to do with replacing Becton (who only played the first 48 offensive snaps of the year) with a lesser player. Also, recently we've seen the line looks better with a QB who gets rid of the ball on time. That's part of the reason why Brady's o-line always looks better than the rest of the league.

• Upvote 2