Rex Ryan on Get Up “I’d whip Mac Jones if I was coaching”

KO91

7 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Haha.

Imagine seeing what this pathetic excuse of a franchise has done over the last 10 years and still stick your nose up at an AFC title game. The Jets rarely have a competitive game these days let alone get to the playoffs. 

The league figured out nothing. He had a top 10 defence in all but one his seasons here. He had a top 5 in three of them. Buffalo was the single worst job he could have taken and by the point the league was moving away from the physicality. 

Downplay him all you want. Rex was an outstanding defensive coach when he was here. He elevated a mediocre group to and elite one and kept it there for years, a group that was the strength of what was a competitive team. The last consistently competitive Jets team. 

Like I said. You didn't deserve him. We genuinely may never be as good again. 

It's not that I don't appreciate those playoff runs.  I do.  But no Jets fan should be looking at what Rex became and did to not one but 2 NFL franchises from 2011-2016 and wishing we'd kept him longer, still had him, etc.

Instead, we should be demanding better than Rex Ryan (and Gase, and Bowles, and Herm, and Mangini, etc etc), who ended up with a losing record as an NFL HC.  Just like nearly every Jets coach has in our history. 

I don't give 2 f**ks about 2 playoff runs with loaded teams 11 years ago anymore because we didn't do d**k after that, with Rex Ryan or without.  Just like I don't care about the playoff appearances Herm and Mangini made.  Rex sucks just like all our coaches suck.  There's barely any difference between any of them at this point.  So this idea that Rex is some hero while the rest of the Jet coaches were terrible is lame and not accurate.  And his suckitude was validated by his failure in Buffalo with very good rosters and his inability to get an NFL HC or quality college HC job ever since.  

Again, Rex sucks.  Just because he didn't suck for 2 years doesn't mean any of us owe him any allegiance.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He hasn't won a playoff game in 11 years and hasn't coached an NFL team since 2016.  And you need to give a big assist to the Mangini and Tannenbaum combo for those playoff wins.

No one cares about those wins anymore but sad, wistful Jets fans who think that was the pinnacle of Jets achievement and don't demand more out of the franchise.  We didn't get any trophies out of that and he contributed to the systematic demise of not one but 2 franchises starting in 2011.  The league figured him out very quickly and he stubbornly stuck to the same strategy that no longer worked without adapting at all.

Rex sucks.  

Sure Rex may suck but Mangini sucks more.  Who suck the most are those Jets fans propagating this tired Mangini deserves credit for Rex’s success narrative. 

6 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

OK, fair, but find a 3 year period better. I can't. 

Imagine putting more about importance on individual players than team success and playoff wins SMH.  That’s why we’re the Jets and the Patriots are the Patriots.  Our priorities are all ****ed up.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Sure Rex may suck but Mangini sucks more.  Who suck the most are those Jets fans propagating this tired Mangini deserves credit for Rex’s success narrative. 

No person on the Rex >>> Mangini train has any good argument for why Tannenbaum had 2 of the best drafts in Jets' history in 2006-07 with Mangini as his HC then somehow seemingly forgot how to draft under Rex Ryan.  And yeah, I'm fully aware the 2008 Jets class sucked but take a look at that overall draft class some time.  It was awful.  2 quality drafts out of 3 years is an extreme rarity for a Jets GM, that's for sure.

But that's a tired debate.  I don't really care anymore.  Both Rex and Mangini sucked.  Which one sucked more and by how much of a margin is meaningless.  It's ancient history.  The Jets suck and so did Rex and Mangini.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No person on the Rex >>> Mangini train has any good reason to argue why Tannenbaum had 2 of the best drafts in Jets' history in 2006-07 with Mangini as his HC then somehow seemingly forgot how to draft under Rex Ryan.  

But that's a tired debate.  I don't care.  Both Rex and Mangini sucked.  Which one sucked more and by how much of a margin is meaningless.  It's ancient history.  The Jets suck and so did Rex and Mangini.  

I’ll take the sucky coach with the 4-2 playoff record w/ my Jets.  You can have the other one.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's not that I don't appreciate those playoff runs.  I do.  But no Jets fan should be looking at what Rex became and did to not one but 2 NFL franchises from 2011-2016 and wishing we'd kept him longer, still had him, etc.

Instead, we should be demanding better than Rex Ryan (and Gase, and Bowles, and Herm, and Mangini, etc etc), who ended up with a losing record as an NFL HC.  Just like nearly every Jets coach has in our history. 

I don't give 2 f**ks about 2 playoff runs with loaded teams 11 years ago anymore because we didn't do d**k after that, with Rex Ryan or without.  Just like I don't care about the playoff appearances Herm and Mangini made.  Rex sucks just like all our coaches suck.  There's barely any difference between any of them at this point.  So this idea that Rex is some hero while the rest of the Jet coaches were terrible is lame and not accurate.  And his suckitude was validated by his failure in Buffalo with very good rosters and his inability to get an NFL HC or quality college HC job ever since.  

Again, Rex sucks.  Just because he didn't suck for 2 years doesn't mean any of us owe him any allegiance.  

He’s doesn’t suck but ok…we will gloss over those 2 afc championships 

4 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

tell ya one thing... he wasnt wrong

But its also tough, maybe LaFleur is over his head, too early for me to say for sure because there were wide open guys all over the place and zach just tried to push the ball down the field needlessly. But hard to compare anyone really to Mcdaniels, who outside of Payton or Reid who are HC that call plays, is probably the best OC in the league.  Mcdaniels would have had sanchez and darnold as perennial probowlers prob. 

i'm not immune to going through the emotional turbulent cycle that we're accustomed to following the Jets on sunday. Wednesday i'm OK. ... Not my best quality. 

There's a ton of mountains being made of mole hills currently. I complete disagree with the way their managing the Mims situation - but moving past that to what I see happening on the field, there was a dramatic improvement on all fronts of the offense except Zach's desire to play hero ball, and our slot WRs being asked to do much outside. Blocking and running game was night and day.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Rex did it with Manginis players Mangini is a better HC than REX.  REX could whip a QB, he couldn’t  identify one.  

wait so the coach drafts the players?

ok so people better stop blaming JD for the 2020 draft. those were Adam Gases players.

and funny fact: Rex won with Manginis players and Mangini couldnt. 

and a even funnier fact: Mangini lost with Brett Favre and Rex won with Mark Sanchez. on the worst day of Favre's life he is 10 times better than Sanchez.

17 minutes ago, doitny said:

ok so people better stop blaming JD for the 2020 draft. those were Adam Gases players.

No, but the HC's had a lot of influence on prior GM's here, and certainly more than they should have in some cases.  Mike Tannenbaum, who didn't come from a scouting background, pretty clearly leaned heavily on his HC's when making his selections.  Hence why we credit Mangini a lot for 2 of our most successful drafts in franchise history (2006-07) while also blaming Rex Ryan a lot for a lot of really terrible drafts during his tenure.  

Maccagnan, meanwhile, didn't seem to listen much to his HC's (Gase walked out of the draft room entirely on draft day) but I do think Bowles influenced the Darron Lee pick at least a little.  A tiny influence on the selection of a tiny linebacker....

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, doitny said:

and funny fact: Rex won with Manginis players and Mangini couldnt. 

and a even funnier fact: Mangini lost with Brett Favre and Rex won with Mark Sanchez. on the worst day of Favre's life he is 10 times better than Sanchez.

Please explain why the best 3 years of JETS drafts occurred under Mangini?  I can't. But it is clear that Tanny was pushed around or influenced by his HC's.  Im not a Mangini fan BUT our best drafts were under him.  Tanny sucked before him and after him.    

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, but the HC's had a lot of influence on prior GM's here, and certainly more than they should have in some cases.  Mike Tannenbaum, who didn't come from a scouting background, pretty clearly leaned heavily on his HC's when making his selections.  Hence why we credit Mangini a lot for 2 of our most successful drafts in franchise history (2006-07) while also blaming Rex Ryan a lot for a lot of really terrible drafts during his tenure.  

Maccagnan, meanwhile, didn't seem to listen much to his HC's (Gase walked out of the draft room entirely on draft day) but I do think Bowles influenced the Darron Lee pick at least a little.  A tiny influence on the selection of a tiny linebacker....

i agree on Rex. he had a lot of influence, probably cause of those playoff runs.

but Tanny was Asst GM and director of pro personal from 2001-2005. and i didnt check them all but the GMs i did look at all i see come from that position. and maybe one had a scouting job. 

now JD has been a scout for 14 years. and because of that im leaning to giving him a mulligan for 2020.with the Covid restrictions there were no pre draft events like Pro days and the combine. maybe that was important for JD. 

just saying if 2021 turns out to be good and 2020 continues to not look good that could be the reason why.

too bad half this board is ready to fly "fire JD " planes. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Please explain why the best 3 years of JETS drafts occurred under Mangini?  I can't. But it is clear that Tanny was pushed around or influenced by his HC's.  Im not a Mangini fan BUT our best drafts were under him.  Tanny sucked before him and after him.    

maybe your right about the draft. but my posts till stands..

rex won with those players and Mark and Mangini didnt with Favre

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

Technically, Mangini had the same record with Favre that Rex did with Mark. Rex just got lucky that it was enough wins for a wildcard when he did it. 

So really, it wasn’t any influence of Rex’s.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

I won't defend Mangini and I see your point but REX ruined that team within 2 years. We were 8-5 in 2011 and lost the last 3.  I actually think if REX were a slightly more rounded coach we could have won more.  His defense gave up 17 unanswered points in both BIG games.  He was woefully unprepared for both big games.

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

i'm not immune to going through the emotional turbulent cycle that we're accustomed to following the Jets on sunday. Wednesday i'm OK. ... Not my best quality. 

There's a ton of mountains being made of mole hills currently. I complete disagree with the way their managing the Mims situation - but moving past that to what I see happening on the field, there was a dramatic improvement on all fronts of the offense except Zach's desire to play hero ball, and our slot WRs being asked to do much outside. Blocking and running game was night and day.

we've all been there, I dont hold it against you dont worry. 

agreed, and I think zach will learn from it and the offense will be better as the season goes on.  Thats all I want to see.. Look I was as frustrated as anyone here. I blew up @Mogglez all day about it, but then i cooled off and really looked at what I saw and rationalized it all.  The jets hopefully will be a better team from this. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

we've all been there, I dont hold it against you dont worry. 

agreed, and I think zach will learn from it and the offense will be better as the season goes on.  Thats all I want to see.. Look I was as frustrated as anyone here. I blew up @Mogglez all day about it, but then i cooled off and really looked at what I saw and rationalized it all.  The jets hopefully will be a better team from this. 

i'm not surprised he tried/resorted to his old school tricks... frankly we all should have expected at least one game like that given his style of play in college... it's about learning from it now.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No person on the Rex >>> Mangini train has any good argument for why Tannenbaum had 2 of the best drafts in Jets' history in 2006-07 with Mangini as his HC then somehow seemingly forgot how to draft under Rex Ryan.  And yeah, I'm fully aware the 2008 Jets class sucked but take a look at that overall draft class some time.  It was awful.  2 quality drafts out of 3 years is an extreme rarity for a Jets GM, that's for sure.

But that's a tired debate.  I don't really care anymore.  Both Rex and Mangini sucked.  Which one sucked more and by how much of a margin is meaningless.  It's ancient history.  The Jets suck and so did Rex and Mangini.  

Is this also like how no one has any decent argument why Sam might actually be good?