Bryce Huff

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

#85 had no interest in blocking Huff and Huff had no interest in diverting #85 from his pass pattern. I do not know what #85's excuse was but I am starting to come away with the impression that Saleh's D linemen have one, and only one, responsibility on pass plays. And that is to get to the QB as fast as possible. Nothing else matters. I've got to say, it does seem to be effective.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

JFM was actually drafted, just not by the Jets (a 4th rounder by the Rams in 18).  Claimed off waivers by JD at the start of 2019 season, so still a great move, but just an interesting little note.

Both of them have already matched their sack totals from last year as well. Growth!

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I think a lot of people need to move away from the talk of Lawson as any sort of Jets future.  At this point whatever they get out of him just has to be considered as an added bonus.  He only signed a 3 year deal and there were a lot of concerns about the long-term impact of his injury.

While I had no issues with the signing at all, I also know I had an unpopular opinion that he was quite overrated around these parts.  He came away with 5.5 sacks last year and 5 the year before, hardly what you're shooting for out of a supposed "premier" pass rusher.  If they can keep this up, both JFM and Huff will far surpass those #s, and should be the much greater priority for this team if they prove themselves throughout the rest of this year.

Those are 2 guys we should be very happy with, and the contract talks with JFM need to be happening much sooner rather than later, otherwise they could quickly find themselves needing to use the franchise tag and negotiating a very big deal.  Not to say there won't be reasons to be thrilled if Lawson turns out to be what was hoped for, but in the meantime they should definitely not be betting on that with any other decisions they make.  Thankfully, that's not anything we need to worry about with Huff for the foreseeable future.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I think a lot of people need to move away from the talk of Lawson as any sort of Jets future.  At this point whatever they get out of him just has to be considered as an added bonus.  He only signed a 3 year deal and there were a lot of concerns about the long-term impact of his injury.

While I had no issues with the signing at all, I also know I had an unpopular opinion that he was quite overrated around these parts.  He came away with 5.5 sacks last year and 5 the year before, hardly what you're shooting for out of a supposed "premier" pass rusher.  If they can keep this up, both JFM and Huff will far surpass those #s, and should be the much greater priority for this team if they prove themselves throughout the rest of this year.

Those are 2 guys we should be very happy with, and the contract talks with JFM need to be happening much sooner rather than later, otherwise they could quickly find themselves needing to use the franchise tag and negotiating a very big deal.  Not to say there won't be reasons to be thrilled if Lawson turns out to be what was hoped for, but in the meantime they should definitely not be betting on that with any other decisions they make.  Thankfully, that's not anything we need to worry about with Huff for the foreseeable future.

I strongly disagree.

Sack numbers are hilariously overrated. I’ve seen players destroy games by bringing relentless pressure without recording one. Go read the reactions of Cincy fans when they seen Lawson was leaving, they were absolutely furious for a reason. He’s very good and well rounded as a player.

He was among the league’s best in generating pressure last year and wasn’t playing with anything like the talent we have on our line. He was going to have an amazing year IMO. I do agree that we should temper expectations now but that’s just the nature of the injury. 

I’ve been calling for us to get contracts sorted for JFM and Foley for a while, I kind of fear their value’s about to skyrocket. It’s good problems to have though.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Over a 16 game season (obviously this year hits 17 but 16 is good for the historical comparisons) the last Jet to have double digit sacks was Mo Wilkerson in 2015 and the most a Jet has had in a season since then was Jordan Jenkins in 2019 with eight. Huff's sixteen game pace would match that eight that is the franchise high since 2015.

Huff is third on the team in sacks.

Going back farther - Richardson had 8 in 2014, Wilkerson and Pace had double digits in 2013, Pace had 8 in 2009, Ellis 8 in 2008, Bryan Thomas 8.5 in 2006, and that gets us all of the Jets' 8+ sack seasons since John Abraham's 10.5 in 2005.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, derp said:

Over a 16 game season (obviously this year hits 17 but 16 is good for the historical comparisons) the last Jet to have double digit sacks was Mo Wilkerson in 2015 and the most a Jet has had in a season since then was Jordan Jenkins in 2019 with eight. Huff's sixteen game pace would match that eight that is the franchise high since 2015.

Huff is third on the team in sacks.

Going back farther - Richardson had 8 in 2014, Wilkerson and Pace had double digits in 2013, Pace had 8 in 2009, Ellis 8 in 2008, Bryan Thomas 8.5 in 2006, and that gets us all of the Jets' 8+ sack seasons since John Abraham's 10.5 in 2005.

It's almost as if we shouldn't have spent a decade and a half. running a 3-4 without the proper personnel to do such a thing.

Better late than never :)

• Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I strongly disagree.

Sack numbers are hilariously overrated. I’ve seen players destroy games by bringing relentless pressure without recording one. Go read the reactions of Cincy fans when they seen Lawson was leaving, they were absolutely furious for a reason. He’s very good and well rounded as a player.

He was among the league’s best in generating pressure last year and wasn’t playing with anything like the talent we have on our line. He was going to have an amazing year IMO. I do agree that we should temper expectations now but that’s just the nature of the injury. 

I’ve been calling for us to get contracts sorted for JFM and Foley for a while, I kind of fear their value’s about to skyrocket. It’s good problems to have though.

Except it's been a constant throughout his career (those last 2 years were proceeded by a glorious 1 sack season after all), and he could never even break through as a starter until last year.  He had a decent first move but often failed at finishing plays, which was never a concept getting praised around here until it fit this particular narrative.  In the end, truly elite pass rushers never make it to free agency and yet the Jets were still the highest bidders at what was neither a long contract nor top FA/DE dollars for him, so the league doesn't seem to be on board with the level of hype he got around here.  That doesn't make him a bad player by any means, but is a question of whether he'd even be standing out from the crowd among this group if he had the chance.

Regardless though, we can definitely both agree that the injury draws new concerns regardless, and even if I'm (gladly) 100% wrong about what I thought of him, the Jets would be very foolish to get too cocky with a position they've struggled at for many, many years.  Totally agree that both JFM and Foley need to getting sorted out, although my hope is that in today's NFL and reduced interest in NTs, Foley's price tag will not get too high.  I'm glad JD was at least smart enough to give Rankins a 2-year deal, despite his typical love for 1-year FA signings, as that at least keeps him, Richardson, and Huff all locked in for next year already.

That is some rarified air. The thing about Huff is he is getting noticeably better each game.  Maybe the unfortunate injury allows us to find an elite edge just sitting on our roster. In OTAs Saleh actually discussed that they didn't think much of Huff coming into the organization but he kept making plays. Then in training camp he said that they felt he was a PS guy but were now wondering if they had to keep him on the roster. And now he is Top 5 is PBWR. Pretty impressive stuff. Our defense is insanely overachieving from what was expected.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Let's be honest, if this DLine plays similar to this every week, then they are the best DLine we have had since the NY Sack Exchange. Sure Parcells and Ryan schemed all over the place to put pressure on QBs for us, but that is all it was and those DLines probably are not to the level these guys are now in 2021. Hopefully these guys stay this good or get even better since they will be able to wreck games for the opposing team by themselves. Once the opposing O's adjust maybe they will try to throw faster and that will culminate into INTs.

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yes, and others as far as fans and Media have to do the same in a similar manner between Huff and Zuniga. Sure, JD used a 3rd rounder on Zuniga, but in that same draft he also picked Huff as an UDFA who was highly touted and should have been drafted. So, the Edge rusher they were aiming for in the 2020 draft became Huff. JD followed up with targeting Edge there with another player pick of Huff in case Zuniga didn't pan out so he planned ahead there. Plus, Huff at this point is looking like more of a value than a 3rd round pick would usually get you for an edge rusher. And, like you mentioned if Lawson comes back as a bonus, it would also be a bonus if we ever get anything out of Zuniga, which would mean he is just taking longer to pan out then Huff has thus far.

It’s nice to have a defensive coaching staff that is confident in its ability to develop players. Saleh and company said “let’s go with youth”. Joe Douglas was like “here’s 25 UDFA and late round picks. Have fun.” Exaggerating a bit but I’m not too far off. Our entire secondary is pretty much day 3 picks.

If Saleh can continue to develop defensive players, it means we could and should spend our top resources on offense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

It’s nice to have a defensive coaching staff that is confident in its ability to develop players. Saleh and company said “let’s go with youth”. Joe Douglas was like “here’s 25 UDFA and late round picks. Have fun.” Exaggerating a bit but I’m not too far off. Our entire secondary is pretty much day 3 picks.

If Saleh can continue to develop defensive players, it means we could and should spend our top resources on offense. 

I agree with this philosophy.  High draft picks on offense and mid to late draft picks on D.

This upcoming draft I we have 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds.  Id take 2 olineman, a tight end and a running back.  The rest of the draft picks can be used on D.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Another Joe Douglas find.  We are so fortunate we have Joe Douglas running this team.

Actually that would be the head or Pro Player Personnel.  Some nice pieces have been brought in from other teams by that division:

Justin Hardee

Quincy Williams

Braxton Berrios

Adrian Colbert

Keelan Cole

Tevin Coleman

Corey Davis

Franklin-Meyers

Tyler Kroft

Morgan Moses

Sheldon Rankins

Jarrod Wilson