OC Garrett fired. Mid season.

Dcat

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

LaFleur is towards the very bottom of why the Jets are 2-8. When Zach Wilson was skipping passes to WIDE OPEN receivers, I'm certain that Mike LaFleur didn't call for passes that left a divot in front of the receiver's feet. 

Yeah... shoving playaction down Zach's throat when the rest of the league saw it every game was simply brilliant.  Fk LaFleur and his idiotic scripts... terrible "plan" for developing Zach Wilson.  Couldn't be worse.  But all is forgiven now that the infant coordinator is sitting in the booth?  please.  We'll need a bot more consistency before anyone should buy that load. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I believe that LaFleur is the biggest mistake of the present regime and he has to be replaced.  I know.  Not happening.  Good buddy of Saleh.  He sucks. Not ready for this job really.  Although some say the recent improvement and move up to the booth change all that.  Yeah. Sure it does. 

of course, it makes a difference. 

nobody should be judged on 4-5 games. and LaFleur has proven that any QB can run this system. except for Wilson. but Wilson gets a chance to try it again.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Yeah... shoving playaction down Zach's throat when the rest of the league saw it every game was simply brilliant.  Fk LaFleur and his idiotic scripts... terrible "plan" for developing Zach Wilson.  Couldn't be worse.  But all is forgiven now that the infant coordinator is sitting in the booth?  please.  We'll need a bot more consistency before anyone should buy that load. 

Did I say that LaFleur has been flawless? No. He sucked in the first few games, even with Zach missing open receivers. It's hard to imagine that a first year OC with a rookie QB would struggle. Nobody could have seen that coming.

Thank you for acknowledging his improvements since he went to the booth. I look forward to seeing how he works with Zach now that he is eleven games into the season. He has made Mike White, Josh Johnson,  and Joe Flacco look good in this offense. I can see him helping Zach Wilson to develop. 

• Upvote 3

The Giants have a lot of problems but Garrett always sucked. The Cowboys put together a respectable roster year after year but between Romo's uneven play and horrific coaching the team always struggled under Garrett. They should have been a playoff contender more years than not. Garrett kissed Jones's ass enough to elevate to head coach and keep the job for a decade despite only four winning years and three one and done playoff appearances. Even going back to his years as OC there the team seemed to win despite him and never because of him. The Giants were nuts to bring him in as OC after more than a decade of his lousy offensive planning.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

The Giants situation is a classic example of a plan gone bad.

Curious to know the Giant hierarchical structure. Does the coach answer to the GM  or does the GM and coach answer to ownership equally? Who’s decision was it to select Garret as OC?

I used to think that mattered. It only matters when the team is garbage. When you have a good GM and HC that both report to the owner, nobody questions the structure. If Bowles reported to Macc, we would have ended up exactly the same, and maybe worse. Hackenberg would have started a season if Macc made the call. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

The Giants have a lot of problems but Garrett always sucked. The Cowboys put together a respectable roster year after year but between Romo's uneven play and horrific coaching the team always struggled under Garrett. They should have been a playoff contender more years than not. Garrett kissed Jones's ass enough to elevate to head coach and keep the job for a decade despite only four winning years and three one and done playoff appearances. Even going back to his years as OC there the team seemed to win despite him and never because of him. The Giants were nuts to bring him in as OC after more than a decade of his lousy offensive planning.

For the record, the thesis behind hiring a guy like Garrett is that you want a guy with experience to mold a young QB. 

Remember when Lafleur was a bad choice because he didn't have enough experience? 

Fans don't realize that good OCs with years of positive results are either head coaches or already an OC somewhere else and not making a lateral move to another team. 

Generally, when you are choosing an OC, you are either getting an experienced guy with prior failures (or else they wouldn't be available) or you are getting a young guy that is highly regarded but lacks experience. 

In the end, there will always be a reason to hate an OC or DC if they don't do well. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I used to think that mattered. It only matters when the team is garbage. When you have a good GM and HC that both report to the owner, nobody questions the structure. If Bowles reported to Macc, we would have ended up exactly the same, and maybe worse. Hackenberg would have started a season if Macc made the call. 

Possibly true but based on the Jet experience, it usually doesn’t.

No I was wondering whether the GM or ownership forced Garrett on Judge sort of like Williams was forced onto Gase.

1 hour ago, doitny said:

they always go before the HC.

If reports are true, looks like Nagy will be gone after the Bears' Thanksgiving game.

CHICAGO — For disgruntled Bears fans looking for something to be thankful for after five straight losses, this is it.

Matt Nagy will coach his last game for the Bears on Thanksgiving in Detroit, a top source with knowledge of the decision told Patch. 

Nagy was informed of his pending post-Turkey Day termination on Monday, the source said.

Tuesday in his news conference at Halas Hall, Nagy told reporters, "That's not accurate." 

Nagy said he has not had any discussions with ownership due to the short week in preparation for Thursday's game.

"I have great communication with ownership, with George (McCaskey), (President) Ted (Phillips) and (general manager) Ryan (Pace), but I have not had any discussions," Nagy said. 

"We have not talked this week, and that was scheduled. We have constant communication — I always think it's good and healthy — and we stayed on course with the bye week, and with the short turnaround with game prep, we have not (talked)."

When asked if ownership has offered any assurance that his job is safe, Nagy dodged the question.

"My focus right now is on these players and on Detroit — that's it. That's my job as a head coach and a leader is to do that. These players have been amazing, they've been great, and so you have this quick turnaround after a tough loss like that (to Baltimore) and the only thing we can do is focus on the now and do everything we can. So Thursday is going to be here quickly, and we have one objective — and that's to win the game."

A beat reporter followed up, asking for a "yes or no" on whether he was told his job is secure for the rest of the season.

"That's not something I'm focused at. I respect the question, but my focus is not on that," Nagy said. 

Nagy spoke after Bears special teams coordinator Chris Tabor, who took over the head coaching duties after Nagy tested positive for the coronavirus. Tabor said he did not know Nagy's job status when asked Tuesday morning but said that to him, "it is not a story."

"I don't know anything about that report, and reports are just reports. I have a job to do, and so I'm going to stick to that job," Tabor said. "That's not coach speak. And I'm not trying to get fired up about the question, but we're going to our job."

He added: "Coach Nagy is our head coach. I want to work for this guy now. OK? Love him to death. And he's the head football coach of the Chicago Bears. And he's going to help lead us to a win on Thursday."

Another reporter asked Nagy whether he is "curious" about his job status, and if he has discussed it with players. Nagy said that the team had gone through its walk-through on Tuesday morning. Previous media reports cited sources stating that Nagy had lost the trust of his players during a stretch in which the Bears have lost five straight games.

"That is up to them as how they want to view that or what to think," Nagy said Tuesday. "The players have been awesome, they've been great. I understand how the media world goes — I get it — but at the same point in time, if it gets to the point where it distracts me from being the best leader I can be to this football team, I'm not going to let that happen. These guys know every day they're getting my best. The players have been great."

Neither the Bears' owners nor the team have issued a statement on Nagy's future.

https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/matt-nagy-will-coach-his-last-bears-game-thanksgiving-source

35 minutes ago, doitny said:

of course, it makes a difference. 

nobody should be judged on 4-5 games. and LaFleur has proven that any QB can run this system. except for Wilson. but Wilson gets a chance to try it again.

I never thought he was ready for this job with a rookie HC in the first place.  Would have preferred Saleh bring in someone who has experience.  Terrible mistake by Saleh, IMO.  

36 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Did I say that LaFleur has been flawless? No. He sucked in the first few games, even with Zach missing open receivers. It's hard to imagine that a first year OC with a rookie QB would struggle. Nobody could have seen that coming.

Thank you for acknowledging his improvements since he went to the booth. I look forward to seeing how he works with Zach now that he is eleven games into the season. He has made Mike White, Josh Johnson,  and Joe Flacco look good in this offense. I can see him helping Zach Wilson to develop. 

And if he doesn't, he should be fired forthwith. After the tar and feathers.  When I say he sucked, it wasn't a euphemism.  La Fleur is seriously the worst OC in the NFL.  He's that bad.  Saleh should have never hired his good friend for the job.  That is almost always a critical managerial mistake and Saleh begins his career with it.  Both these guys are at the bottom of the barrel in the NFL.  I guess the only way to move is up, so yeah... sure... LaFleur has been "better".  All while getting blown out in two of the last three games.  His "better" is still NFL garbage.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

And if he doesn't, he should be fired forthwith. After the tar and feathers.  When I say he sucked, it wasn't a euphemism.  La Fleur is seriously the worst OC in the NFL.  He's that bad.  Saleh should have never hired his good friend for the job.  That is almost always a critical managerial mistake and Saleh begins his career with it.  Both these guys are at the bottom of the barrel in the NFL.  I guess the only way to move is up, so yeah... sure... LaFleur has been "better".  All while getting blown out in two of the last three games.  His "better" is still NFL garbage.

Which face best expresses a proper response to this post:

1)image.png.02817ff8ad8301e1ba074f2f70ab3d1d.png 

2) image.png.5d5cc8e4f5e6c1bbbf6b4d9ed12ec450.png

3)image.png.e03027451288a71af02efa802ec4c925.png

4)image.png.3dc4d9c82621a9ab2ac496b96b639096.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, this is exactly what the Giants are trying to accomplish. Make people think the problem isn't that Daniel Jones sucks or that Gettleman has put together an awful roster or that Joe Judge is clueless.....it's all Jason Garret's fault. Yay, problem solved. 

PS- There were people that wanted Lafleur fired after 3 games. Meanwhile, his offense has looked much better of late. Firing OC or DC's midseason is generally the actions of a desperate organization trying to find someone to take the fall. 

Exactly why with a roster of rookies and 2nd year players the Jets would have brain dead to fire a LaFleur early in his first year as OC 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

423d97586240942b94b25065636783cb03a6adb0

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

So your thoughts are harp on the the first 4 games because they were bad and ignore the rest of the season because they were good all because you believe that Saleh and LaFleur are good friends?  You know this how exactly?  They both were in SF and saw the Shanahan offense work?  As it has in GB and other places and Saleh brought in someone familiar with the offense he wanted to run because he believes in it?  

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly why with a roster of rookies and 2nd year players the Jets would have brain dead to fire a LaFleur early in his first year as OC 

this topic should be moved into the " most jetsy thing to do " thread.

Lafluer calls 5 really nice games and we fire him. takes over the worst offense in the league and has us at 27 in pts and 21 in yds. 

fire JD after probably the best draft class in Jets history just because we have 2 wins...

now that is the most Jetsy thing wwe could do.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, PS17 said:

This isn’t as bad as the buttfumble but it’s the only play in recent memory in the same stratosphere. Maybe the Colts fake punt against the Patriots too. 

Not even close.  This was still a positive play.  Jones was trying to outrun a bunch of DBs - Got out ahead of his skis.  Embarrassing, sure.  But, not even remotely comparable.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

If reports are true, looks like Nagy will be gone after the Bears' Thanksgiving game.

CHICAGO — For disgruntled Bears fans looking for something to be thankful for after five straight losses, this is it.

Matt Nagy will coach his last game for the Bears on Thanksgiving in Detroit, a top source with knowledge of the decision told Patch. 

Nagy was informed of his pending post-Turkey Day termination on Monday, the source said.

Tuesday in his news conference at Halas Hall, Nagy told reporters, "That's not accurate." 

Nagy said he has not had any discussions with ownership due to the short week in preparation for Thursday's game.

"I have great communication with ownership, with George (McCaskey), (President) Ted (Phillips) and (general manager) Ryan (Pace), but I have not had any discussions," Nagy said. 

"We have not talked this week, and that was scheduled. We have constant communication — I always think it's good and healthy — and we stayed on course with the bye week, and with the short turnaround with game prep, we have not (talked)."

When asked if ownership has offered any assurance that his job is safe, Nagy dodged the question.

"My focus right now is on these players and on Detroit — that's it. That's my job as a head coach and a leader is to do that. These players have been amazing, they've been great, and so you have this quick turnaround after a tough loss like that (to Baltimore) and the only thing we can do is focus on the now and do everything we can. So Thursday is going to be here quickly, and we have one objective — and that's to win the game."

A beat reporter followed up, asking for a "yes or no" on whether he was told his job is secure for the rest of the season.

"That's not something I'm focused at. I respect the question, but my focus is not on that," Nagy said. 

Nagy spoke after Bears special teams coordinator Chris Tabor, who took over the head coaching duties after Nagy tested positive for the coronavirus. Tabor said he did not know Nagy's job status when asked Tuesday morning but said that to him, "it is not a story."

"I don't know anything about that report, and reports are just reports. I have a job to do, and so I'm going to stick to that job," Tabor said. "That's not coach speak. And I'm not trying to get fired up about the question, but we're going to our job."

He added: "Coach Nagy is our head coach. I want to work for this guy now. OK? Love him to death. And he's the head football coach of the Chicago Bears. And he's going to help lead us to a win on Thursday."

Another reporter asked Nagy whether he is "curious" about his job status, and if he has discussed it with players. Nagy said that the team had gone through its walk-through on Tuesday morning. Previous media reports cited sources stating that Nagy had lost the trust of his players during a stretch in which the Bears have lost five straight games.

"That is up to them as how they want to view that or what to think," Nagy said Tuesday. "The players have been awesome, they've been great. I understand how the media world goes — I get it — but at the same point in time, if it gets to the point where it distracts me from being the best leader I can be to this football team, I'm not going to let that happen. These guys know every day they're getting my best. The players have been great."

Neither the Bears' owners nor the team have issued a statement on Nagy's future.

https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/matt-nagy-will-coach-his-last-bears-game-thanksgiving-source

this surprises me. what benefit is it to do in season? so now Fields will have a 2nd coach and a 3rd by next year. if they had this idea then why let him coach at all this season. should have let Fields have on HC and system for as long as they can

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, doitny said:

this topic should be moved into the " most jetsy thing to do " thread.

Lafluer calls 5 really nice games and we fire him. takes over the worst offense in the league and has us at 27 in pts and 21 in yds. 

fire JD after probably the best draft class in Jets history just because we have 2 wins...

now that is the most Jetsy thing wwe could do.

Scream from the rafters to fire Macc and his bandaid attempts to retool the roster, scream that it has to be blown up and rebuilt from the ground up by a highly regarded GM and a new HC.  

Scream that the Jets are morons for letting Saleh leave the building without a deal when they allowed him to think about the job offer.   That we blew it, so Jetsy.  

Have the team do everything that they wanted, tell everyone its not about Ws&Ls and then scream to fire everyone after a 2-8 start to the new regime.  

You cant make it up 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

50 minutes ago, Dcat said:

This post....

49 minutes ago, fullblast said:

And here's the haymaker

did not age well

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Gettleman signed his pink slip when he drafted Barkley. I'm not even banging him on Barkley being injured. You don't take a RB that high in today's NFL. Barkley is a talented RB but he needed to go to a team that was one or two pieces away. A team drafting second is not one or two pieces away. 

Yeah agree 100 percent you don't take a RB in the first unless you are ready to win....pretty sure they take Darnold tho if not Barkley so he would have been screwed either way....sucks they didn't do us a favor....oh who am I kidding if they take Darnold we are taking Rosen. lol

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Since the bye, even when factoring in that terrible Pats game, the offense is averaging 22.2 points and 408.4 yards per game.  That would rank 19th and 2nd in the league, respectively, when extrapolated to full season numbers.  And the O did that with 4 different QB's under center in those 5 games. 

And yes, I fully admit that the yardage numbers are boosted by "garbage time" when the Pats, Colts and Bills were playing softer on D while holding onto big leads.  That's still a fairly good output even when baking that into the equation.

So, no, his "better" is not "NFL garbage".  He may not be part of the "solution" for this team but he's certainly not among the team's biggest problems at the moment.  He will be the OC in 2023 and there's no reason for him not to be.

• Upvote 2