Here’s why the Jets Should see a Better Version of Zach Wilson on Sunday vs Texans

JetNation

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Give Saleh credit for making these adjustments on the fly, but it just hammers home the reality that nobody on the coaching knew what the hell they were doing with a young quarterback and they effectively wasted seven months of his development.

Better to adjust late than never, which is something we don't get very often. However it sucks to see how the offense was handled until LaFleur was practically forced to change it up.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Grandy said:

Better to adjust late than never, which is something we don't get very often. However it sucks to see how the offense was handled until LaFleur was practically forced to change it up.

There is a price to pay for all new coaches.  You just hope it’s investment in a coach with a bright future and not a waste. 

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

That's a lot of words for "..because he's playing a team that would have a tough time at the college level"

Except several of those things have nothing to do with the opponent.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I appreciate the analysis and definitely hope we see a better Zach Wilson on Sunday but the idea that it's because Mike LaFleur is calling the good plays with the good personnel from the booth is just pure convenience.  It's a very easy way to explain away Zach being the worst QB in the NFL.  The reality is, we have no idea if these changes to the personnel benefits Zach. We hope they do because we've seen how the offense can work but we also watched Zach miss play after play after play and just be a sloppy mess out there.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say his sloppy mechanics, poor decision making and terrible accuracy had more to do with his poor play then Lil Mikey calling the good plays with a bird's eye view.  So, let's not get too disappointed if it's not the same as we've seen since he's been sidelined.

Further, this is not the biggest game of his career.  That's just silly sensationalism.  It's his 7th start, no different than his last start, he's learning the position and these games are largely on the job training for Wilson.  Only fools are going to cast him as a bust if he doesnt execute the offense at the same level.  And this isnt an aggressive play calling system, lets stop acting like LaFleur suddenly got aggressive.  He's not, it's a dink and dunk offense and when executed, it works.  

If we see a better Zach Wilson on Sunday, IMO, it will be because Zach has had time to see just how big of a mess he was out there and hopefully Beck is getting him grounded back with mechanics.   His footwork, ability to stay and maneuver in the pocket, playing within the system, hitting open receivers, being precise on his drop backs and taking what is available will be the difference in his performance.  

Every receiver and running back on the roster is a better receiving option than Trevon Wesco, Ryan Griffin or Tyler Kroft.  Those are the guys Wilson was working with.

Won't matter if Wilson can't hit the target, but if LaFleur sticks with this philosophy, there will be more open targets to choose from.  Will it matter?  We'll see.

36 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Further, this is not the biggest game of his career.  That's just silly sensationalism.  It's his 7th start, no different than his last start, he's learning the position and these games are largely on the job training for Wilson.  Only fools are going to cast him as a bust if he doesnt execute the offense at the same level. 

your right. but unfortunately, if Zach doesn't Proform as good as the " Great Mike White" we will get tortured Sunday with thread after thread about it. 

the legend of Mike White will never die.

now we see why nobody gives their rookie QB any real competition. 

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Every receiver and running back on the roster is a better receiving option than Trevon Wesco, Ryan Griffin or Tyler Kroft.  Those are the guys Wilson was working with.

Won't matter if Wilson can't hit the target, but if LaFleur sticks with this philosophy, there will be more open targets to choose from.  Will it matter?  We'll see.

Weird, I guess I must have been imaging things when Cory Davis, Elijah Moore, Jamison Crowder, Keelan Cole and Denzel Mims all received passes from Zach Wilson before he was injured.

To my point, maybe more open targets isnt what Zach needs.  He was struggling to find them and deliver the ball accurately with less decisions to make post snap, throwing a few more options in on each play isnt guaranteed to help him improve.  IMO the improvement will come from Zach Wilson being a better player more than anything else.  You can point the finger and blame everything else but the kid was absolute mess out there and I'm confident that had more to do with his poor play than anything else.  

17 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Zach should look much better this week.  If he’s the “film rat” that everyone says he is, I’m sure he and his buddy John Beck have been watching how to execute this offense.  I would be shocked if Zach played poorly on Sunday.  

This is where I'm at too.  

I actually have week 1 excitement building up here with the anticipation of seeing our QB playing again.  

18 minutes ago, doitny said:

your right. but unfortunately, if Zach doesn't Proform as good as the " Great Mike White" we will get tortured Sunday with thread after thread about it. 

the legend of Mike White will never die.

now we see why nobody gives their rookie QB any real competition. 

Why is this unfortunate?  Who cares?  People are always going to be irrational.  This means nothing to Zach Wilson long term.  

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Weird, I guess I must have been imaging things when Cory Davis, Elijah Moore, Jamison Crowder, Keelan Cole and Denzel Mims all received passes from Zach Wilson before he was injured.

To my point, maybe more open targets isnt what Zach needs.  He was struggling to find them and deliver the ball accurately with less decisions to make post snap, throwing a few more options in on each play isnt guaranteed to help him improve.  IMO the improvement will come from Zach Wilson being a better player more than anything else.  You can point the finger and blame everything else but the kid was absolute mess out there and I'm confident that had more to do with his poor play than anything else.  

How many times were all of those guys on the field together with Zach?

Just now, AFJF said:

How many times were all of those guys on the field together with Zach?

A few times but that's kind of the point you seem to be missing.  First off, I'm not insulting your work here or your article, so dont take this personal.  I'm just simply saying, I think Zach Wilson being a better QB is going to the biggest factor in him improving.  This piece sort of absolves him from any wrong doing in the past and pointing the finger at all these things that sucked before him and now that they are good, Zach too will be good!  My point is, not sure it's that easy, he was really bad before the injury.  Maybe it is and we'll see it play out on Sunday but I think the biggest factor to Zach playing better on Sunday, will be Zach Wilson.  

• Upvote 1

Anyway, Zach opened the 1st. Qrt against NE with a 3 and out.The long drive was after that. We were already down 14 zip at that point. 

The offense can’t slow down/stop the opponents offense. They can’t even shorten the game without a running attack. But he put the team in a position to score points in 2 of the first 3 drives that game.
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

This is where I'm at too.  

I actually have week 1 excitement building up here with the anticipation of seeing our QB playing again.  

The staff orchestrated this to give Zach his “soft” landing spot in the schedule and they brought in his personal buddy as another coach.   A lot of the rookie stuff should be behind Zach, the speed of the game, seeing different defenses and seeing what a properly run offense looks like.   

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

A few times but that's kind of the point you seem to be missing.  First off, I'm not insulting your work here or your article, so dont take this personal.  I'm just simply saying, I think Zach Wilson being a better QB is going to the biggest factor in him improving.  This piece sort of absolves him from any wrong doing in the past and pointing the finger at all these things that sucked before him and now that they are good, Zach too will be good!  My point is, not sure it's that easy, he was really bad before the injury.  Maybe it is and we'll see it play out on Sunday but I think the biggest factor to Zach playing better on Sunday, will be Zach Wilson.  

I think it's a valid argument that the scheme was a contribution to his early season struggles.  80% of the time they were in 2 TE sets with below average TEs.   The line was also still getting their feet wet.

imo, It's 100% up to Zach to get better.  The team and coaching around him are no longer an excuse.  

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Give Saleh credit for making these adjustments on the fly, but it just hammers home the reality that nobody on the coaching knew what the hell they were doing with a young quarterback and they effectively wasted seven months of his development.

It was always going to be an uphill battle with the head coach, offensive coordinator, and quarterback all learning their new job on the fly. I favored a trade down rather than adding the rookie QB to the Jets, primarily for that reason. Trying to change a decade of crap culture while installing new systems on both sides of the ball while simultaneously trying to develop Zach? Anyone expecting that to go smoothly was kidding themselves. 

But they made the decision to take Wilson while they had the #2 pick, and I can’t kill them for it. I don’t think anything was wasted here. Zach took some lumps, but it was also all a learning experience. The coaches did make adjustments, and Wilson looked decent in the Pats game before he got hurt. The offensive adjustments that Glenn writes about here are real and good moves. The Jets TEs suck and the WRs are actually pretty good. About time they got on the field more even if it didn’t fit your perfect offensive blueprint. I give LaFluer a lot of credit here, too. 

Now Zach has to perform. He’s had the opportunity to watch three other QBs perform well in this offense. He has to step in and make the routine plays, and take his shots downfield more selectively. I hope to see a big jump tomorrow, but it’s far more important to see him get better and be playing well over the next seven games. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Now Zach has to perform. He’s had the opportunity to watch three other QBs perform well in this offense. He has to step in and make the routine plays, and take his shots downfield more selectively. I hope to see a big jump tomorrow, but it’s far more important to see him get better and be playing well over the next seven games. 

I agree these next 7 games become important, not just for Zach but for the team in general.  If they continue to look dreadful and non-competitive the entire tone of the off-season is going to miserable.  If they show some improvement and Zach shows he belongs on the field, then the tone becomes a bit more positive and the team becomes more attractive to free agents.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Why do I know we'll see the same Zack?   I'll actually go to church if the light suddenly turns on for him.  

hey, dont play games like that. you better do it then cause i prayed to god and dont know what i promise in the 9th inning of game 6 in 86 and im pretty sure i didnt do any of it and now look what happen. no world championships since then. 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I think it's a valid argument that the scheme was a contribution to his early season struggles.  80% of the time they were in 2 TE sets with below average TEs.   The line was also still getting their feet wet.

imo, It's 100% up to Zach to get better.  The team and coaching around him are no longer an excuse.  

I think the whole team is probably just more comfortable in the system in general and I don’t necessarily discount that these changes may help, I just think the way he was playing, scheme and personnel wasnt going to help all that much if he doesn’t significantly improve his fundamentals/mechanics.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Claymation said:

The offense can’t slow down/stop the opponents offense. They can’t even shorten the game without a running attack. But he put the team in a position to score points in 2 of the first 3 drives that game.

I really don't  get this need to defend Wilson like you are. I said i want to see him come out and open the first qrt with a 10 play drive. You said he did it against N.E. You were wrong. Now the argument is it isn't  Wilson's fault the other team scores? What I am implying is he do something to at least keep up to open the game. Nobody is blaming him for the other teams scoring. Wison has not put points on the board in the first qrt of any game he played in.