Would Joe Douglas have the guts to do what the AZ Cardinals did with Josh Rosen?

jetstream23

7 minutes ago, Shelbyblue said:

If you study college football, there is no 1st round talent in the upcoming draft. Build the team see if Zach develops and if he doesn’t in the next 2 years you draft one. Build the car then get the driver. Mike White can hold the fort if Zach is not improving, this system just needs a competent passer.

If it’s third and ten with mike we are dead in the water. 

6 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Wont happen.

JD is a chicken sh!t GM who doesnt have the balls to move from his own guys quickly. He is just like every other inept GM that will hold on to players and gift them spots to the detriment of the team. His ego comes first. He even brought James Morgan back for christ sake.

Totally.  Best thing to do is bring in a QB who doesn't know your system for a short week when you are down 2 QB's because morons don't get vaccinated 2 years into a global pandemic, but yeah, BALLS.

14 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I mean, yea. Can't stay on the field, that's not an error on Douglas when the player showed no signs of injury in college. What else should be said?

That he was hot trash this year prior to the injury lol. 

It is a statement of fact that Fant has played better at LT. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The only thing worse than making a bad decision is not admitting it and not working to correct it.

The Cardinals made an incredibly difficult decision after just one year of having a top 10 drafted QB in Josh Rosen. It is turning out to be a career defining moment for GM Steve Keim.  Approaching your owner one year after you traded up to draft a QB and telling him you miscalculated and want to replace him is not an easy thing. It was the right thing though. The Cardinals with Kyler Murray are now at the top of the NFL.

Would JD have the balls to say to the Johnsons, “We may have got this wrong. While we are seeing several of the positives and strengths that we scouted in Wilson, the things that could not be evaluated until he got to the NFL are not looking great. He is struggling with the speed of the game, decision making, etc. at this level. In my experience, these things are difficult to correct. They could certainly improve, but they will always put a ceiling on what he can be. I’m not saying that we need to reach for another QB at the top of this upcoming draft but if there’s a guy there worthy of the pick we shouldn’t hesitate to take him.  We would be wise to look for competition and should always be looking to improve every position on the roster. That’s my job as the GM. Maybe that competition is already on this roster, but we should also look at free agency and the trade market.”

By the way, I don’t see any chance in hell that JD approaches the Johnsons with a conversation like the above even if he himself has significant doubts about Wilson.

The circumstances would never allow it. In AZ they had drafted Rosen later, and the following year drafted #1 overall with a consensus top QB available who was a scheme for for the new administration.

That said, we’ve seen some bad QB play over the years as Jets fans, and Wilson looks so much worse.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Just to be clear, what happened in AZ is they went from by Rosen who went 10th (by that time 3 QBs had already gone ahead of him) to Murray, who was the #1 overall pick and clearly the top QB coming out of that draft. AZ also brought in a new coach to specifically pair with the QB.   

For this to be a similar situation JD would need to end up with the #1 overall pick and draft a sure fire #1 QB prospect while firing Saleh and bringing in a new coaching staff to pair with the QB. That would make absolutely no sense after what the Jets just did this past offseason. 

The Cardinals were in a very different situations that the Jets are in now. 

Correct - If JD wants to keep his job, he’s going to have to bring in a quality vet QB who easily wins a camp competition vs Wilson.

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

That he was hot trash this year prior to the injury lol. 

It is a statement of fact that Fant has played better at LT. 

- Douglas brought Fant in, him playing well is only supporting my case in his talent recognition.

- Becton did not look good in his 48 snaps this season against one of the best pass rushers in the league after looking like stud last year.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The only thing worse than making a bad decision is not admitting it and not working to correct it.

The Cardinals made an incredibly difficult decision after just one year of having a top 10 drafted QB in Josh Rosen. It is turning out to be a career defining moment for GM Steve Keim.  Approaching your owner one year after you traded up to draft a QB and telling him you miscalculated and want to replace him is not an easy thing. It was the right thing though. The Cardinals with Kyler Murray are now at the top of the NFL.

Would JD have the balls to say to the Johnsons, “We may have got this wrong. While we are seeing several of the positives and strengths that we scouted in Wilson, the things that could not be evaluated until he got to the NFL are not looking great. He is struggling with the speed of the game, decision making, etc. at this level. In my experience, these things are difficult to correct. They could certainly improve, but they will always put a ceiling on what he can be. I’m not saying that we need to reach for another QB at the top of this upcoming draft but if there’s a guy there worthy of the pick we shouldn’t hesitate to take him.  We would be wise to look for competition and should always be looking to improve every position on the roster. That’s my job as the GM. Maybe that competition is already on this roster, but we should also look at free agency and the trade market.”

By the way, I don’t see any chance in hell that JD approaches the Johnsons with a conversation like the above even if he himself has significant doubts about Wilson.

More knee jerk silliness.

Douglas has done some good things as a GM. I will say that....

How about this one though.... he cuts Morstead who was punting very well so he could rush back his draft pick punter, who is clearly not 100%, has a damn knee brace and is struggling to punt. I mean, wtf?

And I still cant get over starting Wilson today when he admitted post game his knee wasnt 100%. WTF are Douglas and Saleh doing? Avoiding a QB controversy, it seems like. Another rushed, short sighted move by this franchise. Just like starting Wilson week 1. Words cant describe how BADLY this franchise has bungled the development of Wilson so far. Completely set the kid up to fail.

8 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

JD is a terrible talent evaluator who put us in this position with his obsession with Wilson

Fire JD

Just want a little clarity on that bolded statement. Are you purely talking about Wilson or do we not consider draft picks, UDFA pick ups, waiver claims, contract extensions, or trades into talent evaluation?

I'd argue he has done much more good than bad as GM.

• Upvote 1

Just now, bla bla bla said:

Just want a little clarity on that bolded statement. Are you purely talking about Wilson or do we not consider draft picks, UDFA pick ups, waiver claims, contract extensions, or trades into talent evaluation?

I'd argue he has done much more good than bad as GM.

Yes everything. 20 draft was a disaster that set us behind a year. 

FA a disaster. Jerrod Davis, GVR, Perriman never can get a kicker etc 

and yes Wilson is HUGE, 

3 minutes ago, Barton said:

How about this one though.... he cuts Morstead who was punting very well so he could rush back his draft pick punter, who is clearly not 100%

Exactly. JD is hell bent on his own players at times defying logic or who’s actually playing better football

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

- Douglas brought Fant in, him playing well is only supporting my case in his talent recognition.

- Becton did not look good in his 48 snaps this season against one of the best pass rushers in the league after looking like stud last year.

Looking like a stud, that's fluffing him a bit more than needs to be. He looked solid and like he had great upside, but his conditioning was suspect last year and even more so this year. 

Doesnt change the fact that JD passed on a better LT for him. 

9 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

- Douglas brought Fant in, him playing well is only supporting my case in his talent recognition

He also gave GVR a 3 year deal, drafted 29 yard punts Mann, brought in Amendola and drafted Wilson. All 3 tried as hard as they could to make the Jets lose this game 

5 minutes ago, Barton said:

How about this one though.... he cuts Morstead who was punting very well so he could rush back his draft pick punter, who is clearly not 100%, has a damn knee brace and is struggling to punt. I mean, wtf?

I agree with your sentiment here but it's not that Mann wasnt 100%...he just sucks. 

Just now, JTJet said:

I agree with your sentiment here but it's not that Mann wasnt 100%...he just sucks. 

He's wearing a fricken knee brace. And he was decent last year when healthy.

JD doesnt want to look stupid for drafting a punter when he found one just as good/better off the scrap heap. 

Same thing with Wilson now. Forcing him back into action.

Must be feeling the GM hot seat. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Looking like a stud, that's fluffing him a bit more than needs to be. He looked solid and like he had great upside, but his conditioning was suspect last year and even more so this year. 

Idk, I think stud is fitting for Becton's rookie year. Let's remove that and say freakish upside? Could be best OT in draft class if he plays to his ceiling we saw last year? I don't think either of those statements are false to this point.

I'd have to imagine Wirfs is benefitting from TB12 and playing RT. I feel like you put Becton on the Bucs and he looks equally as good minus the health. All this being said, I was calling for Wirfs.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I feel stupider for having read this thread. I’m gonna have to check out until Wednesday to give the drama queens a chance to cool off. 

You beat me too it... I was just going to say, I had a very good laugh after reading those 3 pages...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

At the end of the day he's a guard. Wiffing on the left tackle and the QB wont be compensated by getting a starting guard.

Except he wife on neither.  

Is a stupid take and not shocking looking at the names who believe the QB should be dumped, the LT is a bust.

Lawrence, Fields and Lance should be tossed aside too.  

10 minutes ago, JTJet said:

You could tell he was out of shape watching on your TV.

Its almost as bad as Matt, who didnt go to a single practice and knows that Saleh ran an easy camp even though no one reported that it was.

• Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I mean, yea. Can't stay on the field, that's not an error on Douglas when the player showed no signs of injury in college. What else should be said?

That's accurate, but some voiced concerns about how long a player that big would be able to stay healthy given his size (I wasn't one of these people, but I did read it). 

To be blunt, I really disliked Wilson coming out of BYU for the reasons we have seen on full display throughout this season. There is no way in hell Douglas is going to get rid of Wilson. I'm not even sure Douglas keeps his job here if Wilson doesn't pan out. How many GMs have survived 2 QBs picked in the top 3 busting?

• Thumb Down 1

I dont think it would happen even if there was a great prospect this year but they should. That goes for just about any team that doesnt have a sure QB under center. The main reason teams could not swap out from 1st round QBs in the past was because of the contracts. That doesnt exist but every GM in the NFL is convinced you cant have competition at the position until the QB proves he sucks at which point they just do something desperate to try to salvage a job.

13 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

And to think, we could have had Allen without giving up 3 second rounders in 2018.

Homey, Josh Allen would have been RUINED if the Jets drafted him.

The Bills had an intelligent coach with a coherent short and long term plan for him. He was nursed along.