Honestly Where is the Bright Side With the Jets?

TerrapinJet

10 hours ago, TerrapinJet said:

QB: Clear Bust - people that say he has potential are just hoping he does. I respect the optimism but its not based on anything but hope. Hes shown nothing but disaster after disaster

OL: Awful - but honestly somehow not as bad as the QB/defense

Skill Players: Non Existent - we have noone. They are all jags. 

Defense: barely NFL caliber - perhaps the worst part of our team, including QB. Its a close call but i think the defense is somehow worse.

The draft will change none of this because our coaches cant coach. Even if they could draft (which they cant) the coaches still cant coach. 

Free agency could change some of this but even if you address one of these or two of these areas...the most important part, QB, will still suck and our coaches still wont be able to coach.

2022 is a rebuilding year. Rebuild years back to back and theres the bright side - one day theyll be a new regime to find new ways to be bad. I've learned to find joy in the comical nature of the jets. They find new ways to make me laugh just about every game.   Hope all is well!

-TerrapinJet

Post of the year, Thank You.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, TerrapinJet said:

QB: Clear Bust - That is yet to be determined, but I am leaning toward signing a hold-the-fort QB, and if Zach can't beat them out, than 2023 is draft a QB time.  So is drafting a QB this year with a 3rd or 4th, just because

OL: Awful - The OL has NOT been awful.  Not even close.  But there is some holes.  I would like to see Becton come back and play RT, and leave Fant where he is, resigned.  I would LOVE to see a mauler guard drafted this year, as well as some better depth (signed or developmental style in draft. 

Skill Players: Non Existent - ABSOLUTELY not true.  Moore looks great.  Carter is going to be a good back for us.  Berrios is perfect for the role he performs.  Davis is a good #2.  What we lack is a true #1, and we desperately need a TE who can rank in, at least, the middle of the pack for us.  

Defense: This defence was young and raw.  There are some bright spots in the secondary.  Hall, Echols, Davis, Carter II....all decent.  Quincy Williams has proven to be a great signing.  The D-line is a mess.  I think Quinnen still can be the force, but we need Lawson to come back and hopefully be at least a 5 sack guy.  This team needs to draft multiple edge rushers and OLB in the next two drafts. 

The mindset of needing a new regime will only prolong this agony.  Douglas gets at least one more draft.  He is batting below .500 in the first one and above .500 on the second one (both so far).  We shall see what he does with at least 5 picks in the top 100.  

Edits within the post.

8 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Jets are unique in the NFL in that they are team with literally no strengths.   You usually see teams with at least something they do well, the Jets literally do not do a single thing well.    Not OL, not DL, not secondary, the LB's are a disaster, they must have missed 20+ tackles yesterday, they don't pressure the QB, they can't run the ball, WR's can't get open, also drop 3-4 passes each week, and the QB panics at the first sign of pressure, and throws grounders on short passes, 3rd kicker of the season, and the punter shanks at least 1 per game.   

Andddddddddd the uniforms suck.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Jets are unique in the NFL in that they are team with literally no strengths.   You usually see teams with at least something they do well, the Jets literally do not do a single thing well.    Not OL, not DL, not secondary, the LB's are a disaster, they must have missed 20+ tackles yesterday, they don't pressure the QB, they can't run the ball, WR's can't get open, also drop 3-4 passes each week, and the QB panics at the first sign of pressure, and throws grounders on short passes, 3rd kicker of the season, and the punter shanks at least 1 per game.   

Well there it is. Their greatest strength is their weakest in every category in the NFL. That’s not an easy feat. 

16 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Douglas completing bombing the 2020 draft is why the Jets are here.

There's a lot of truth in this.

Wirfs would have been a better pick at #10.  And, JD should never have traded down at #48 with Claypool (and Van Jefferson) still on the board.  I can't sit here with a straight face and say any of those guys would be as successful with the Jets as they have been with the teams that drafted them, but they are all looking like better talents for sure.

There's still a somewhat realistic chance that Becton, Davis, Hall and Mann become longterm starters here, but there is virtually zero hope for all of the other guys (Mims, Zuniga, Morgan, Clark, Perine, etc.) which is amazingly sad less than 2 years after they were drafted.

14 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Swap Flacco out for an upgrade and I'd agree. I just don't see Flacco being a long term effective starter at this stage. He looked awful on some pretty good teams when asked to be the guy in recent years. But you certainly can't go into next season relying on Zach having an incredible turnaround. Douglas and Saleh don't - or at least they certainly shouldn't - have the luxury of another season like this. 

Bridgewater or Garoppolo would have been my ideal choices. If the team around them plays well then we'll be competitive and win some games. If not then it's time to blow everything up again. 

Yeah the problem with Flacco is they clearly won’t hand him the team unless Wilson is injured, as the perception is his starting career is over.

Bridgewater is sleep-inducing and Garoppolo has been a walking - or non-walking I guess - injury report. But they'll be 30 and 31 respectively which should still be very much a QB's playing prime, and (unlike Flacco) are therefore realistic starters if Wilson looks the same again.

There are other options, too, but I think that your off veteran is the direction they go in next year. 

The Jets are a lot closer than they’re being given credit for. When you lose as many starters as the Jets have this year and were an average at best team to begin with, you get the output we’ve seen.
Getting healthy is the first major step. The next step is to go all in on free agency in March and then try to repeat the 2021 draft in April. Do that and this team is turning around in a hurry
Haye to burst your bubble JD will be judicious and prudent in FA

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Haye to burst your bubble JD will be judicious and prudent in FA

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

We will see. He has to go all in at some point. It made sense to punt a little bit as we were offloading our players in year 1 as we looked to reset the clock and be more aggressive this past off-season as we began to set the new foundation. Now seems like the right time to go big and it kinda has to happen - not being aggressive in free agency is a large part of why we are in this position today

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

We will see. He has to go all in at some point. It made sense to punt a little bit as we were offloading our players in year 1 as we looked to reset the clock and be more aggressive this past off-season as we began to set the new foundation. Now seems like the right time to go big and it kinda has to happen - not being aggressive in free agency is a large part of why we are in this position today

He won't go 'all in' until we look like a contender. Hate to burst your bubble but that may never happen. Having said that, if all goes as planned, 2023-24 seem like the right years to 'go all in'. Zach will be in his 3rd and 4th seasons and the Jets should really know what they have in him. If he turns out to be a legit Franchise QB, this team should be competitive and it makes all the sense in the world to go all in. You can say the same thing about the coaching staff, and a lot of the players JD drafted with the high draft capital he had. 

In short, by 2023 and 2024, you will see if JD has set this team up to be a true contender. If so, he will 'go all in' and max out as much as possible in FA to chase a ring. 

54 minutes ago, PepPep said:

He won't go 'all in' until we look like a contender. Hate to burst your bubble but that may never happen. Having said that, if all goes as planned, 2023-24 seem like the right years to 'go all in'. Zach will be in his 3rd and 4th seasons and the Jets should really know what they have in him. If he turns out to be a legit Franchise QB, this team should be competitive and it makes all the sense in the world to go all in. You can say the same thing about the coaching staff, and a lot of the players JD drafted with the high draft capital he had. 

In short, by 2023 and 2024, you will see if JD has set this team up to be a true contender. If so, he will 'go all in' and max out as much as possible in FA to chase a ring. 

I’m a big Joe Douglas guy, but if his plan is to wait another year or two before he goes all in then he may not survive in his job to get the chance

9 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I’m a big Joe Douglas guy, but if his plan is to wait another year or two before he goes all in then he may not survive in his job to get the chance

Maybe. I mean there HAS to be progress. You don't just sign some FAs and become a contender in one offseason. The team def. has to be on the right track. His has to start hitting in the draft, the team has to start winning games. Coaching has to start showing that they can develop the players and that their system/scheme is successful, etc., etc.  

Next year will be pivotal. I definitely believe if the Jets have another awful season, ownership, whether fair or not, will start getting impatient. 

On 12/20/2021 at 8:11 AM, TerrapinJet said:

QB: Clear Bust - people that say he has potential are just hoping he does. I respect the optimism but its not based on anything but hope. Hes shown nothing but disaster after disaster

On his last throw vs Miami he made Cole go to his knees to make the catch one yard shy of first down. I agree that we have just one skill position player - Elijah Moore - and the jury is still out on Wilson. I think he has talent but is being coached by a rookie OC who is being overseen by a rookie HC, so how much coaching can Wilson really be getting? Jets OL has been better since Fant took over at LT, and I don't see Becton as a LT, more of a RT/ RG player. Jets TE's don't block for sh*te and Wilson is being hit by unblocked blitzers. IDK what else the organization can do but ride it out. Maybe all these rookie coaches stay after school in the off season and learn their craft so they can actually be coaches. 

On 12/20/2021 at 8:11 AM, TerrapinJet said:

OL: Awful - but honestly somehow not as bad as the QB/defense

Skill Players: Non Existent - we have noone. They are all jags. 

Defense: barely NFL caliber - perhaps the worst part of our team, including QB. Its a close call but i think the defense is somehow worse.

The draft will change none of this because our coaches cant coach. Even if they could draft (which they cant) the coaches still cant coach. 

Free agency could change some of this but even if you address one of these or two of these areas...the most important part, QB, will still suck and our coaches still wont be able to coach.

2022 is a rebuilding year. Rebuild years back to back and theres the bright side - one day theyll be a new regime to find new ways to be bad. I've learned to find joy in the comical nature of the jets. They find new ways to make me laugh just about every game.   Hope all is well!

-TerrapinJet

I love the negativity.  Dark side 4lyf!!!!!!!!!1

“They find new ways to make me laugh just about every game”

This is the way. 

On 12/20/2021 at 6:22 AM, varjet said:

I really would not be surprised if the Johnsons take some of our draft bounty and trade for Wilson, Watson or Rodgers, requiring the Jets to pay them without the draft picks for support. 

First, there is zero chance of that happening, Especially Watson, people seriously need to stop bringing it up. Jets are not bailing on Wilson after one year.

Second look at the situations individually:

1. Rodgers will go (if he goes at all) to a contender type team with a crappy QB so someone like Denver or NO.

2. Watson still has all the sexual predator stuff hanging over him, and has veto power. Will also go a team more open to players with severe off the field issues, which is not the Jets. And Watson did not elevate a bad team. Houston has handled the situation horribly as well.

3. Russell Wilson will also want the ready-made team. Thing with Wilson is that if you cannot see he has lost at least a step and a half and is rapidly declining you are just not paying attention.,

On 12/21/2021 at 7:18 AM, BigRy56 said:

Don't agree with this at all. I think Douglas will never be all in on FA and big ticket FA has really never shown to be successful. Even if he wanted to make a big push JD is not going to pay the premiums to sway the big guys either. Seems people always forget that free agents are not wanted by their own team so the bust potential is huge but unlike a draft pick comes with gigantic opportunity cost.

For me the one bright spot on this team is that we have a player named: Rachad Wildgoose, I mean after he makes his first career pick 6 the back pages of the Tabloids need only show him running with his name emblazoned across the back of his jersey. Patriots player gives Wildgoose chase after picking him off and heading for the end zone

• Haha 1