Honestly Where is the Bright Side With the Jets?

TerrapinJet

41 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I stopped here. Not a "clear bust." He is a 22 year old QB who is overwhelmed by the speed of the game. If you don't see his tools and talent, there isn't much left to talk about. We can agree that he is not ready to lead a team. I wouldn't argue for a moment about that.

how do u feel about mims? one could use the same argument u just made for Wislon-the reality is they both suck 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

there is no bright side as long as woody is here, there is no bright side as long as Joe is here there is no bright side as long as Joe's terrible coach is here. I dont miss writing out the season ticket check anymore that is for sure-the IRS should allow season ticket holders to write of the invoice as charity as that is what it is at this point-you are getting nothing for your money

1 minute ago, jgb said:

The excuse-making machinery only operates for QBs. 

it seems to work for bad gms too-parcells had us in the AFC championship after being handed a 1-15 team-Joe has us worse off then when he was handed the keys  to the car and this year we are literally as bad as last year after all of the "improvements" Joe made-but dont worry joe has a plan (the reality is he does have a plan that he cant execute-he is just like mac and izadick ) 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

it seems to work for bad gms too-parcells had us in the AFC championship after being handed a 1-15 team-Joe has us worse off then when he was handed the keys  to the car and this year we are literally as bad as last year after all of the "improvements" Joe made-but dont worry joe has a plan (the reality is he does have a plan that he cant execute-he is just like mac and izadick ) 

I see a lot of similarities with the team Parcells took over. We had talent. Just needed a QB to bring it all together.

19 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I actually agree.

And they're not moving on from Zach. We invested more in him than Arizona did in Rosen and there isn't a Kyler Murray coming out. Not to mention they had a new HC coming in and he was always gonna want his own guy. 

I wouldn't be against it if they really like a QB but it just isn't happening. I want a proven starter. Shame Bridgewater may have just been concussed into retirement as he's the obvious steady pair of hands that would be available. 

Right now IJ, there are 3 Q@Bs on the roster right now who are better QBs than Zach Wilson, unfortunately all signals going forward are that Saleh is fully prepared to anoint him as the starting signal caller sight unseen. I would like to see it battled out in camp between Flacco, Josh Johnson, Mike White AND the kid. Let the best man win.

Just now, SoFlaJets said:

Right now IJ, there are 3 Q@Bs on the roster right now who are better QBs than Zach Wilson, unfortunately all signals going forward are that Saleh is fully prepared to anoint him as the starting signal caller sight unseen. I would like to see it battled out in camp between Flacco, Josh Johnson, Mike White AND the kid. Let the best man win.

Swap Flacco out for an upgrade and I'd agree. I just don't see Flacco being a long term effective starter at this stage. He looked awful on some pretty good teams when asked to be the guy in recent years. But you certainly can't go into next season relying on Zach having an incredible turnaround. Douglas and Saleh don't - or at least they certainly shouldn't - have the luxury of another season like this. 

Bridgewater or Garoppolo would have been my ideal choices. If the team around them plays well then we'll be competitive and win some games. If not then it's time to blow everything up again. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I stopped here. Not a "clear bust." He is a 22 year old QB who is overwhelmed by the speed of the game. If you don't see his tools and talent, there isn't much left to talk about. We can agree that he is not ready to lead a team. I wouldn't argue for a moment about that.

exactly. he had another really good half of Football. on target throws, no bouncing balls. 2 games in a row with zero INTs. he is not a "clear bust" i think hes getting close to putting out a complete game.

but he needs help from the CS. they had to come up with something to help him get rid of the ball before the blitz got to him.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, kmnj said:

how do u feel about mims? one could use the same argument u just made for Wislon-the reality is they both suck 

Mims is almost a lost cause. His attitude is piss poor. He blamed Saleh for being benched. Mims is salvageable if he learns his routes, stops committing stupid penalties, learns where to line up, and catches the ball when thrown to him. Mims doesn't suck because of lack of talent. 

Zach Wilson tries TOO hard. A problem that you can work with. Mims doesn't try hard enough, and that is a hard nut to crack. 

At this point in his career, Zach needs help from his team. Over time, his team will need him. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, kmnj said:

i think this is on the CS. 

we had a thread here last week explaining why this defensive scheme doesnt work unless you got an all pro defense and a very good offense. we change that defense next year and were alot better.

and like yesterday with the blitzs, the OC got a bag of trick plays he must also have some plays to help Zach get rid of the ball quicker to counter those free runners. i like Saleh but he might be to stubborn to make the changes to win

6 minutes ago, doitny said:

exactly. he had another really good half of Football. on target throws, no bouncing balls. 2 games in a row with zero INTs. he is not a "clear bust" i think hes getting close to putting out a complete game.

but he needs help from the CS. they had to come up with something to help him get rid of the ball before the blitz got to him.

Yes. They need to adjust to the jail break pass rushes. I don't know what that could be, but I also don't get paid to run an offense. The opposing team is making great half time adjustments because first half Zach has been looking pretty good. His three scores in three possessions vs the Eagles gets overlooked because our defense sucks balls and ballbag skin.

• Upvote 1

The optimism

• If Wilson can make a massive jump in year 2
  • If Becton can be healthy, productive and play RT next year
  • If we can add a premier pass rusher at the top of the draft 
  • If we can find a true center and move McGovern to RG
  • If we can add speed at LB 
  • If we can stay healthy next year

These things aren't out of the realm of possibility. 

But ehhhhhhh:

2 hours ago, TerrapinJet said:

QB: Clear Bust - people that say he has potential are just hoping he does. I respect the optimism but its not based on anything but hope. Hes shown nothing but disaster after disaster

OL: Awful - but honestly somehow not as bad as the QB/defense

Skill Players: Non Existent - we have noone. They are all jags. 

Defense: barely NFL caliber - perhaps the worst part of our team, including QB. Its a close call but i think the defense is somehow worse.

The draft will change none of this because our coaches cant coach. Even if they could draft (which they cant) the coaches still cant coach. 

Free agency could change some of this but even if you address one of these or two of these areas...the most important part, QB, will still suck and our coaches still wont be able to coach.

2022 is a rebuilding year. Rebuild years back to back and theres the bright side - one day theyll be a new regime to find new ways to be bad. I've learned to find joy in the comical nature of the jets. They find new ways to make me laugh just about every game.   Hope all is well!

-TerrapinJet

This ignores the massive amount of injuries on one of the youngest teams in the league a new coaching staff/system and rookie QB. Say what you will about excuses but thats just the truth. The secondary is all rookies with the exception of Maye (who is hurt), Hall (who is a second year guy) and A.Davis (another second year guy). The LBs are composed of a good ILB in Mosley with a depth guy (Q.Williams) and a complete bust of a FA in Davis (it happens). The line is stout but is missing their prized FA acquisition Edge in Lawson. If you look at the numbers QW and JFM are both having good seasons. QW is having a borderline Pro Bowl season. Rankins has played well too. Fatukasi is hurt. Again, injuries. The Jets top 2 WRs are out. Moore and Davis. Injuries/Covid. Their RB is playing well (Carter) but a rookie. They have no true talent at TE. Their O-line is solid but Fant (who has played really well) is hurt. So their top 2 OTs are OUT. And the QB, the one that makes it all happen is a rookie who is clearly not ready to be the starter and is taking his lumps out there on the field.   

QB: Wilson has a ton of talent. This is his first year in the league and to look at his performance this year and proclaim him as a 'clear bust' is incredibly short-sighted. Sure, he may end up a bust. But right now he's nowhere near that simply because he hasn't been in the league long enough. The next 2 seasons will tell a lot about what he turns into. JAG, Bust, Star, injury prone, etc., etc. Should he be starting right now? I dunno. Probably not. But it seems like better coaching adjustments would also do him some good. He looked really good in the first half. Dolphins were able to put pressure on him in the second half. Its not ALL on him. LaFleur and Saleh need to adjust for that. 

OL: Again, Becton and Fant were out. And still the Jets were able to protect Zach and create holes in the run game in the first half. Kudos to the Dolphins for making the correct adjustments and its really on the coaching staff for not being able to counter in the second half. IMO. But in the end, when your top 2 OTs are out, its tough. With Becton and Fant healthy this O-line is solid. Especially if they can upgrade the G position over Duvernay in the offseason.

Skill Players: Moore, Davis and Carter are all skill players I like a lot. Say what you will about Davis's drops (something he needs to work on) but he draws a lot of attention when he is on the field. Yes, Mims has been disappointing and the Jets need to add more in this department. At the TE position and at the WR position. But non-existent is a bit harsh. Enough with the rant. When fully healthy, Jets have some weapons.  

Defense: I've talked about the defense a bit already. But the secondary is rookies and second year guys. Promising young players. Hall, Carter II, Guidry and Echols are rookies and 2nd year players...all draft after the 3rd round. They are being developed. Why is it so hard to understand. Then you add Maye's injury to the mix and the secondary looks completely overwhelmed at times. As far as the LBs, that has been disappointing mainly b/c of Davis's poor play. He was a FA signing and a bad one. Mosley has played really well. And Quincy is depth guy stepping in as a potential starter. If the Jets are going to let Maye walk they will need to add substantial talent to the Safety and LB position. The D-line should be better at stuffing the run (even in this wide set system), but losing their top pass rusher FA signing in Lawson and then Huff on top of that was a big reason why they struggled getting to the QB. 

This is a young, injury riddled team struggling to find their way with a new young coach. The team is set up in rebuild mode. Its clear. They are playing their young players, saving cap space and draft capital, looking to a couple of seasons down the road to truly compete.      

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

This ignores the massive amount of injuries on one of the youngest teams in the league a new coaching staff/system and rookie QB. Say what you will about excuses but thats just the truth. The secondary is all rookies with the exception of Maye (who is hurt), Hall (who is a second year guy) and A.Davis (another second year guy). The LBs are composed of a good ILB in Mosley with a depth guy (Q.Williams) and a complete bust of a FA in Davis (it happens). The line is stout but is missing their prized FA acquisition Edge in Lawson. If you look at the numbers QW and JFM are both having good seasons. QW is having a borderline Pro Bowl season. Rankins has played well too. Fatukasi is hurt. Again, injuries. The Jets top 2 WRs are out. Moore and Davis. Injuries/Covid. Their RB is playing well (Carter) but a rookie. They have no true talent at TE. Their O-line is solid but Fant (who has played really well) is hurt. So their top 2 OTs are OUT. And the QB, the one that makes it all happen is a rookie who is clearly not ready to be the starter and is taking his lumps out there on the field.   

QB: Wilson has a ton of talent. This is his first year in the league and to look at his performance this year and proclaim him as a 'clear bust' is incredibly short-sighted. Sure, he may end up a bust. But right now he's nowhere near that simply because he hasn't been in the league long enough. The next 2 seasons will tell a lot about what he turns into. JAG, Bust, Star, injury prone, etc., etc. Should he be starting right now? I dunno. Probably not. But it seems like better coaching adjustments would also do him some good. He looked really good in the first half. Dolphins were able to put pressure on him in the second half. Its not ALL on him. LaFleur and Saleh need to adjust for that. 

OL: Again, Becton and Fant were out. And still the Jets were able to protect Zach and create holes in the run game in the first half. Kudos to the Dolphins for making the correct adjustments and its really on the coaching staff for not being able to counter in the second half. IMO. But in the end, when your top 2 OTs are out, its tough. With Becton and Fant healthy this O-line is solid. Especially if they can upgrade the G position over Duvernay in the offseason.

Skill Players: Moore, Davis and Carter are all skill players I like a lot. Say what you will about Davis's drops (something he needs to work on) but he draws a lot of attention when he is on the field. Yes, Mims has been disappointing and the Jets need to add more in this department. At the TE position and at the WR position. But non-existent is a bit harsh. Enough with the rant. When fully healthy, Jets have some weapons.  

Defense: I've talked about the defense a bit already. But the secondary is rookies and second year guys. Promising young players. Hall, Carter II, Guidry and Echols are rookies and 2nd year players...all draft after the 3rd round. They are being developed. Why is it so hard to understand. Then you add Maye's injury to the mix and the secondary looks completely overwhelmed at times. As far as the LBs, that has been disappointing mainly b/c of Davis's poor play. He was a FA signing and a bad one. Mosley has played really well. And Quincy is depth guy stepping in as a potential starter. If the Jets are going to let Maye walk they will need to add substantial talent to the Safety and LB position. The D-line should be better at stuffing the run (even in this wide set system), but losing their top pass rusher FA signing in Lawson and then Huff on top of that was a big reason why they struggled getting to the QB. 

This is a young, injury riddled team struggling to find their way with a new young coach. The team is set up in rebuild mode. Its clear. They are playing their young players, saving cap space and draft capital, looking to a couple of seasons down the road to truly compete.      

Are you my ghost account? You summed it up pretty much the way I would have. 

47 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Are you my ghost account? You summed it up pretty much the way I would have. 

I know its a long-winded reply and I sound like I'm listing every possible excuse in the book. But facts are facts. Could our rookie head coach, rookie QB, and group of rookies, second year players and backups (due to injuries) have stepped up and played stellar ball to bring this team to 6-7 wins? Yeah. Anything is possible. But not likely. What IS likely is exactly what we are seeing. Struggles and growing pains from pretty much everyone. The coach, the QB, the secondary, the pass rush, the run D, etc.  

Fans will be fans and its their right to react and demand improvement. I don't hold anything against them. But whenever I see what looks like a rant more than anything with actual reasoning I can't help but counter. lol. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TerrapinJet said:

QB: Clear Bust - people that say he has potential are just hoping he does. I respect the optimism but its not based on anything but hope. Hes shown nothing but disaster after disaster

Defense: barely NFL caliber - perhaps the worst part of our team, including QB. Its a close call but i think the defense is somehow worse.

The draft will change none of this because our coaches cant coach. Even if they could draft (which they cant) the coaches still cant coach. 

Free agency could change some of this but even if you address one of these or two of these areas...the most important part, QB, will still suck and our coaches still wont be able to coach.

2022 is a rebuilding year. Rebuild years back to back and theres the bright side - one day theyll be a new regime to find new ways to be bad. I've learned to find joy in the comical nature of the jets. They find new ways to make me laugh just about every game.   Hope all is well!

-TerrapinJet

9 people downvoted this post. Talk about delusional… what did they disagree with?

So many guys with bruised feelings here. It’s sad.

• Thumb Down 1

I’m pumped to watch my second team go up against the Raiders.

The Browns are far from a great team, but they’re in a tight division race and the QB is fighting his ass off every week. He goes out there in a shoulder harness and plays on one ankle and gives it everything he has.

Its so much fun watching and rooting for a team that is out there trying to accomplish something. Are they a championship contender? No. But I don’t know how to jump on bandwagons. I just like watching a team I like decent football.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Talking about the secondary, yesterday both starters and one of the back ups at Safety were out.

So 2 starting safeties, 2 starting offensive tackles, and 2 starting WR.  Thats a lot to lose at one position on a team thats bad to start with.  And they were competitive till the end despite that fwiw.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, TerrapinJet said:

-TerrapinJet

13 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Talking about the secondary, yesterday both starters and one of the back ups at Safety were out.

So 2 starting safeties, 2 starting offensive tackles, and 2 starting WR.  Thats a lot to lose at one position on a team thats bad to start with.  And they were competitive till the end despite that fwiw.

What were you watching?

They were competitive for 30 minutes. After that, the Jets were dominated by a mediocre team that was also decimated.

Our offense gained 50 yards in the second half.

They are a terrible running team and yet their 3rd string RB ran for about 150 yards 

Competitive? ????

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The optimism

• If Wilson can make a massive jump in year 2
  • If Becton can be healthy, productive and play RT next year
  • If we can add a premier pass rusher at the top of the draft 
  • If we can find a true center and move McGovern to RG
  • If we can add speed at LB 
  • If we can stay healthy next year

These things aren't out of the realm of possibility. 

But ehhhhhhh:

Everyone who has made a parlay bet knows the affect on the odds of stacking independent variables on top of each other...

JD Rolled the dice with this rebuild and a found a coach willing to go along.

Its mainly play and develop people they don’t have to pay. However when you blow an entire draft 2020 and half of 2021 doesn’t look like they belong on the field you have issues. Getting cute with cheap guys on FA is yet another gamble.

Finally and obviously If Wilson is truly a bust we completely and utterly ****ed 

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Douglas completing bombing the 2020 draft is why the Jets are here.

even if he bombed the 2020 draft the jets still would've needed to replace darnold and gase.  you can blame douglas for all the bad things as long you also willing to give credit for the good things.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

even if he bombed the 2020 draft the jets still would've needed to replace darnold and gase.  you can blame douglas for all the bad things as long you also willing to give credit for the good things.

I gotta say there isnt much good if any. Tucker is a guard who we used a premium pick on. 

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

some good points.  this jets team is pretty new from top to bottom and it just takes time.  there are some bright spots.  the young secondary has been or is at least capable of holding up .  they do miss assignments but they do seem to be good enough, physical talent wise, to pressure the better receivers.  carter is proving to be a pretty good back and for that matter, lafleur's offense is capable of opening holes.for the runners.  wilson continues to be a head scratcher at times but he has showed a willingness to make the easy throws when presented.  doesn't always happen and it's hard when the top receivers are out.  the oline has gotten better once they all started to play as a unit.  avt is really good.  mcgovern has been good at center.  duvarney is a step up from gvr and fant has done well at left tackle.  so instead of needing 3 or 4 olinemen the jets can go into the off season and draft needing only 2.

the biggest problem continues to them not staying injury free.  it started when lawson went down in preseason and then becton in week 1.  those were major losses and they didn't have enough depth to make up for it.

• Upvote 1