Zack Wilson absolutely roasted on Jets Postgame show

7 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Also take a step back and realize how utterly ridiculous it is to actually think that Zach Wilson shook off instructions from the coaching staff to run a QB sneak on 4th and 2, just so he could “make it about himself” and “steal the glory” like those three insinuated on the post game.

Indeed.

This has probably been one of the more embarrassing takes I have seen on this board in a long time - from posters who should know better. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Indeed.

This has probably been one of the more embarrassing takes I have seen on this board in a long time - from posters who should know better. 

But think of all those QBs who have achieved glory for QB sneaks in NFL history! (s/)There's Bart Starr in 1967 (the OL got the credit, not him) and............................  Can anybody name 1?  Bueller? Bueller? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

I agree with most of what you said, but Zach's play does not make him either stupid or selfish.
He made a rookie mistake, and was given the option to make either a QB sneak or a handoff to Berrios.
Actually, if you want to blame anyone, blame the offensive coordinator and Saleh.

No, you’re missing the point. EVERY SINGLE PLAY HAS AN ALTERNATE CHECKOFF!!! If they called a pass play on 4th and 15 with the game on the line and the check off play happens to be a draw, is it the coach’s fault that the QB would be stupid enough to check to the draw in that situation?? This is literally the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Really?  You honestly think a bunch of former players couldn’t possibly have a single connection to the team because they haven’t been in the league for a while? You don’t think former players have relationships with staff and current players?  That’s just naive while we sit around here and trust some random posters inside “source”. Lol.  Hell, I still hear gossip about places I haven’t worked at in 7 years and legit don’t know anyone there at all.  Happens all the time. 

The truth is, they probably do have a “source” and whether that source is accurately depicting the situation I would guess is the real debate.  Not just is it legitimate but is it creditable?  Or do they talk to people who don’t like Zach but the feeling isn’t wide spread mutual.  Maybe he’s adored by 95% but they talk to the other 5% who he rubs the wrong way.  You don’t love everyone you work with and I have to imagine the NFL locker room has a ton of conflicting personalities.

I mean, yeah, I guess it’s “possible”, albeit unlikely IMO, given how badly Bart’s tenure here ended when it came to relationships inside the building, but I guess when I post(ed) things here myself, all I ask(ed) was for people to trust me and let everything speak for itself which, in hindsight, is pretty crazy at face value so it’s not an impossible notion that he has a straggler here.  I’d be curious to know who it it could possibly be though, considering we’ve had 3 GMs and 4 different head coaches since he last stepped foot in our facilities.  

I guess what irritates me the most about this situation though is that it goes against everything that has been said about the kid by his teammates, with their names attached to quotes, and it comes off as a personal vendetta.  The kid, the coaching staff, both, whoever, made a mistake.  Oh well.  They’re all young.  That’s what this season was about.  Letting them all learn.  Somehow Scott and co. have managed to turn this into a debate as to whether or not Wilson has “character flaws”, or is “selfish”.  This team isn’t the circus that that was Bart’s 2012 Jets, where you had players leaking their true feelings about Sanchez and Tebow (which weren’t pretty) around Christmas Eve, or guys telling Bart to shut up while he was mouthing off in the locker room and calling long tenured Jets like Bryan Thomas “sellouts” for not going along with his self imposed media boycott (the reasoning for that boycott is ironic, given what is going on).  Nor is it Willie Colon’s and Leger Douzable’s disasterpiece 2014 Jets locker room.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

It was said on the radio yesterday just before Willie Colon went on the air with Craig and Evan. I don’t know their source but they said LaFleur said it twice in Zach’s headset.

I don’t buy it. Lafleur is in the booth with 2 other guys. So one of their sources is a coach bad mouthing the rookie QB? I call bull.

Here’s the truth. He made a stupid mistake. Yes, any idiot off the street would have known better but he’s a rookie in the heat of battle. He’s allowed stupid mistakes. You can’t jump to conclusion that a stupid mistake defines his ENTIRE CHARACTER! That’s even dumber than the sneak attempt. Frankly, I thought Sam taking reckless risks and chucking INTs like it’s going out of style was more selfish. 

When we see consistent and pervasive evidence of selfishness, such as teammates bailing on him, coaches pissed at him, etc, then we can discuss if his attitude is a problem. Until then, I applaud Zach for a tremendous performance.

• Upvote 1

I feel like Wilson negativity after a failed QB sneak is a pretty easy talking point given the failed QB sneak with the team at a pretty boring home stretch of what's been a bad season. Rich uncle, annoying mom, looks uncomfortable pretty often, getting named a captain by coaches at BYU after not being voted captain by teammates, bad season for the team, teammates rallying around Mike White.

I have no idea how well liked he is but seems pretty plausible that if pushed on it they'd be able to come up with something - I have zero contacts whatsoever with the Jets and suspect even if his teammates respect his work ethic a chunk of them find him difficult to relate to. And given the 17 page thread, obviously it's a talking point that'll get attention.

• Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Look, I don’t particularly like Bart Scott’s on air personality with his disinterested looks and his eye rolls and all that. But the man gives straight honest information on what happens out there. He knows the situation and understands all levels of the game and how/why things transpired. He got on Zach because Zach made an incredibly stupid decision. It’s not on the coaches or anyone else but him. QB sneak on 4th and 2 is not an option. Any dummy in the stands knows this, you’d think the kid being paid millions to lead the team would know it as well. Instead you have stupid fans stupid sh*t like “if he shouldn’t have run the sneak then the coaches should have told him that”. It’s such basic common sense that no coach there (except LaFleur who apparently said twice in the kids headset “handoff, handoff) even thought they’d have to mention it to the kid, just like they probably assume they don’t have to tell the kid to get dressed in the morning. Zach sneaking that play only comes to one of two conclusions-he’s incredibly stupid or he’s incredibly selfish. That’s Bart’s point

100% incredibly stupid. Not sure were selfish and  confident split. If he really thought he could make it was it still selfish? Certainly could still be incredibly stupid, I struggle making it to selfish. 

32 minutes ago, derp said:

I feel like Wilson negativity after a failed QB sneak is a pretty easy talking point given the failed QB sneak with the team at a pretty boring home stretch of what's been a bad season. Rich uncle, annoying mom, looks uncomfortable pretty often, getting named a captain by coaches at BYU after not being voted captain by teammates, bad season for the team, teammates rallying around Mike White.

I have no idea how well liked he is but seems pretty plausible that if pushed on it they'd be able to come up with something - I have zero contacts whatsoever with the Jets and suspect even if his teammates respect his work ethic a chunk of them find him difficult to relate to. And given the 17 page thread, obviously it's a talking point that'll get attention.

Except he seems to get a long super well with his teammates. He's at hockey games with them, training and playing catch with them leading up to training camp. Even when the Mike White thing happened, getting called out for how supportive he was (live tweeting the game onto White's text messages). He was then voted a captain here by his teammates. 

We all had those worries about the kid because of his uncle before the draft, but his teammates have said nothing but great stuff about him.  

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

100% incredibly stupid. Not sure were selfish and  confident split. If he really thought he could make it was it still selfish? Certainly could still be incredibly stupid, I struggle making it to selfish. 

THIS! They could have said he was an IDIOT. Bonehead. Whatever. But to jump to the conclusion that he and Lafleur cooked up a fake explanation for what happened and question the kids integrity is such an unnecessary leap and then the double downs the last few days. C'mon. We know things but its not our place to say? Gross. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Except he seems to get a long super well with his teammates. He's at hockey games with them, training and playing catch with them leading up to training camp. Even when the Mike White thing happened, getting called out for how supportive he was (live tweeting the game onto White's text messages). He was then voted a captain here by his teammates. 

We all had those worries about the kid because of his uncle before the draft, but his teammates have said nothing but great stuff about him.  

I mean, the majority of my post was stating that I think that the media guys were guessing.

There's a lot of nuance to any situation - I think you took my literal word choices and expanded them out to be something I didn't mean, and I also think you're taking some interactions with a subset of the team (that, by the way, don't preclude what I literally said) and extending them to the entire team.

5 hours ago, Snell41 said:

No, you’re missing the point. EVERY SINGLE PLAY HAS AN ALTERNATE CHECKOFF!!! If they called a pass play on 4th and 15 with the game on the line and the check off play happens to be a draw, is it the coach’s fault that the QB would be stupid enough to check to the draw in that situation?? This is literally the same thing

I get what you are saying.  I guess if Zach didn't like the play, he could have called a timeout if the primary play didn't make sense.  I understand that the checkoff was a QB sneak, which really wasn't an option, even if it were an option.  

16 minutes ago, derp said:

I mean, the majority of my post was stating that I think that the media guys were guessing.

There's a lot of nuance to any situation - I think you took my literal word choices and expanded them out to be something I didn't mean, and I also think you're taking some interactions with a subset of the team (that, by the way, don't preclude what I literally said) and extending them to the entire team.

Nah. I agree with your point that its a cheap point for them to land for publicity/interest. Just was making the point that it contradicts everything we've heard about the kid all year. 

On Sunday, I thought TomShane made a (remarkably) earnest comment - that the comments were totally random unless the SNY team knew something we don't.  Seeing Colon come out today to make that exact claim - in the face of literally every public comment by teammates and coaches since the draft and not backing it up with specifics or sources, for me, takes it from the cheap point you note, to one that is cynical too. 

12 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Nah. I agree with your point that its a cheap point for them to land for publicity/interest. Just was making the point that it contradicts everything we've heard about the kid all year. 

On Sunday, I thought TomShane made a (remarkably) earnest comment - that the comments were totally random unless the SNY team knew something we don't.  Seeing Colon come out today to make that exact claim - in the face of literally every public comment by teammates and coaches since the draft and not backing it up with specifics or sources, for me, takes it from the cheap point you note, to one that is cynical too. 

Yeah, I mean I think it's a cheap shot and I also definitely think he'd be a hard person to relate to. I also think that winning solves the latter, along with him maturing a little.

• Upvote 1

I get what you are saying.  I guess if Zach didn't like the play, he could have called a timeout if the primary play didn't make sense.  I understand that the checkoff was a QB sneak, which really wasn't an option, even if it were an option.  

No he couldn’t, they called a timeout prior to the play. All Zach had to do was run the play that was called and have the common sense to know the QB sneak built in as the check off call was not viable in that situation. Every idiot in the stands, every idiot who even casually watches football, every idiot who posts on this forum understands a QB sneak in that situation is a terrible decision. Every idiot except the biggest idiot getting paid millions of dollars to not make stupid decisions like that.

-Edit- to preface, I could live with the fact it was a stupid decision by a rookie. The fact he doubled down on his stupidity in his press conference trying to say the A gap was open is where I draw the line. He took no responsibility at all for his stupidity.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Given to him on a silver platter and that’s disgusting.

I mean, he WAS the 2nd pick in the draft for f*ck's sake. Did you forget that?! 

You act like the starting QB for the Jets is something great players are desiring. The last great QB who wanted to play FOR the Jets was Dick Pic Brett Favre. I mean, just because I love Braxton Berrios doesn't mean the Jets have anything anyone covets.

Yeah, he's starting because he earned it by being the 2nd pick in the draft. If you don't think he earned it at BYU, where the heck were you before the draft? And even if you did believe this, it's stupid. Of course he earned it, parents notwithstanding.

And do you really think most great QBs don't have rich/wealthy parents who give them all the advantages? Did you just migrate to this country?

I like this kid. He's learning. He's saying everything right. He's not perfect, but so what? this is what watching a player develop is all about, not looking for reasons to NOT like him.

• Upvote 1

lol

I really thought the Jets threw this game. The defense sure seemed to be quite compliant, especially the last two plays.

I mean, so Wilson screwed up, for whatever reason: he's a douche or he's as dumb as a post or a rookie/mental mistake...

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE??? It's not spoiling any playoff berths (for the Jets anyway). It's just a lesson. And, btw,...

There are plenty of Class A douche bags under Center and in Canton for that matter. There are plenty of mental midgets playing well on plenty of teams. This is a lesson. And the kid learns his lessons.

9 hours ago, phill1c said:

I mean, he WAS the 2nd pick in the draft for f*ck's sake. Did you forget that?! 

You act like the starting QB for the Jets is something great players are desiring. The last great QB who wanted to play FOR the Jets was Dick Pic Brett Favre. I mean, just because I love Braxton Berrios doesn't mean the Jets have anything anyone covets.

Yeah, he's starting because he earned it by being the 2nd pick in the draft. If you don't think he earned it at BYU, where the heck were you before the draft? And even if you did believe this, it's stupid. Of course he earned it, parents notwithstanding.

And do you really think most great QBs don't have rich/wealthy parents who give them all the advantages? Did you just migrate to this country?

I like this kid. He's learning. He's saying everything right. He's not perfect, but so what? this is what watching a player develop is all about, not looking for reasons to NOT like him.

First off the only thing being 2nd overall pick in the draft earns you is your signing bonus. He wasn’t ready to start, the coaching staff wasn’t ready for him to start and the line certainly wasn’t. Before the Mike White game people were calling for LaFleurs job and many were calling Moore a bust already. Our offense went from worse to having one of the best games of the year statistically. But go ahead tell me how he earned the starting job by being second overall pick. We couldn’t even judge the offense before the Mike a white game. But yeah I’m the one out of touch. 

The disgusting part  was them playing the kid before anybody was ready. Any vet starting this year letting  the kid learn a bit would have helped. Did he or did he not get better after sitting out during his injury and watching the other 3 QBs run the offense? Answer is yes, now shut your mouth and go get me a snack! 

• Post of the Week 2

9 hours ago, The Crusher said:

First off the only thing being 2nd overall pick in the draft earns you is your signing bonus. He wasn’t ready to start, the coaching staff wasn’t ready for him to start and the line certainly wasn’t. Before the Mike White game people were calling for LaFleurs job and many were calling Moore a bust already. Our offense went from worse to having one of the best games of the year statistically. But go ahead tell me how he earned the starting job by being second overall pick. We couldn’t even judge the offense before the Mike a white game. But yeah I’m the one out of touch. 

The disgusting part  was them playing the kid before anybody was ready. Any vet starting this year letting  the kid learn a bit would have helped. Did he or did he not get better after sitting out during his injury and watching the other 3 QBs run the offense? Answer is yes, now shut your mouth and go get me a snack! 

This gets repeated often on JN, but I’m not buying that Zach starting was crazy and a bad decision.  

A 2nd pick lit up teams in the preseason. Zach was by far the best rookie in preseason.  Packers players off the record said he would be special but they thought it might be a rough rookie season, so coaches probably knew what they were getting too.  

Camp reports said it wasn’t close with Mike White and Zach.  If Zach plays next season like he has the last couple games, history will look kindly on the choice to start him as a rookie.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

This gets repeated often on JN, but I’m not buying that Zach starting was crazy and a bad decision.  

A 2nd pick lit up teams in the preseason. Zach was by far the best rookie in preseason.  Packers players off the record said he would be special but they thought it might be a rough rookie season, so coaches probably knew what they were getting too.  

Camp reports said it wasn’t close with Mike White and Zach.  If Zach plays next season like he has the last couple games, history will look kindly on the choice to start him as a rookie.  

I honestly don’t expect you to. That’s fine. But, you do realize kid had to get hurt in order for us to realize LaFleaur had a clue  and the rest of the team could actually play especially Moore? Zach had to get  hurt and watch a couple games in order to stop throwing picks and learn to take what is given. If that sounds like a great plan to you , then that’s fine. I think the coaching staff could have handled it better. That’s all. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Snell41 said:

The fact he doubled down on his stupidity in his press conference trying to say the A gap was open is where I draw the line. He took no responsibility at all for his stupidity.

I think what he meant to say was that the A gap "appeared" to be open.  That was his thinking.

The defense tricked him into thinking the A gap was open.  Obviously it wasn't open, and yes, every fan watching the game knew it was an idiot call.

• Upvote 1

If zach ends up being really good, imagine us looking back in a year on this 17 page thread discussing the psychology of a player as a result of a failed 4th down attempt in a miserable losing season. 

You would think the superbowl was on the line. I don't think seattle fans discussed Wilson's superbowl end zone interception against the Pats this much (which was objectively MORE selfish as you needed 1 yard and had beast mode standing behind you. Talk about a glory hog who should have had enough experience and brain to hand the ball off).

The three stooges followed each others lead after the game and turned a bad play into a inditement against the kid QB.  Took a pot shot at a kid who in all the time he's been here has his teammates and coaches in agreement that he's a hard working, good kid who is doing all he can to get better.  Now all of a sudden thats changed to he wants the glory of rushing for a 1st down?  

Then Colon, backtracking on his attack a day later when asked says hes heard things.  To try and save his ass.  Douz hasnt heard things.  Scott hasnt heard things.  But the one guy when getting leaned on during a radio broadcast, blurts out hes heard things and better yet cant say where or who has said it.  I honestly dont believe a word hes said, if he heard from a player, he could say he heard from a player without mentioning a name.  If a person from the Jets, he could have said so without attaching a name.  Nope, I've herd things.  

To me, whether he was told to hand off or not is irrelevant. What team doesn't want a QB that wants the ball when the game is on the line. As he plays , he'll learn that a great QB is one that makes those around them look great in those situations and to choose the moment to take on the load himself. Better he learn all these lessons when we're 4-12.

• Upvote 1

On 1/3/2022 at 9:18 AM, T0mShane said:

They absolutely have to move Mosley in any case, in the interest of both the player and the team.

I swear watching Mosely play is like watching a highlight tape of Jonathon Vilma from 2006 with his 117 tackles most of them made 7 yards from the LOS. The numbers look good but the impact is pretty weak. It's a good time to take that that 4th round pick someone might be willing to give up for him after this season.

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2022 at 10:20 PM, The Crusher said:

First off the only thing being 2nd overall pick in the draft earns you is your signing bonus.

First off, you aren't the decider of what the 2nd pick earns a 2nd pick. The team that picks him is. And for THIS pick, he's earned the starter's job.

No doubt you may have some wisdom in other areas. This post is not wise or smart or accurate.

22 minutes ago, phill1c said:

First off, you aren't the decider of what the 2nd pick earns a 2nd pick. The team that picks him is. And for THIS pick, he's earned the starter's job.

No doubt you may have some wisdom in other areas. This post is not wise or smart or accurate.

To be fair when your starting QB needs to get hurt in order to evaluate your offense and the offensive coordinator  it’s likely the person who made that decision is neither wise or smart. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

To be fair when your starting QB needs to get hurt in order to evaluate your offense and the offensive coordinator  it’s likely the person who made that decision is neither wise or smart. 

lol 

Wise enough to be employed in the job. Smart enough not to be sitting the #2 pick in the draft for Mike White.