Ravens and Martindale “part ways”

The Ravens were hit hard with injuries, so I don't put a lot of blame on anyone for their playoff absence this year. They're one of the best organizations in football.

But I wonder about Martindale's defenses - they're like Rex's old philosophy and it requires amazing corners and constant blitzing.

I just don't think with the way the league enforces the rules that those defenses are nearly as viable anymore. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The Ravens were hit hard with injuries, so I don't put a lot of blame on anyone for their playoff absence this year. They're one of the best organizations in football.

But I wonder about Martindale's defenses - they're like Rex's old philosophy and it requires amazing corners and constant blitzing.

I just don't think the way the league enforces the rules, those defenses are nearly as viable anymore. 

That's fair, but the Raven's offense is totally one dimensional. Lamar is not a pro style QB. Harbaugh is a dinosaur.

I'm not a fan of either Harbaugh.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Jethead said:

That's fair, but the Raven's offense is totally one dimensional. Lamar is not a pro style QB. Harbaugh is a dinosaur.

I'm not a fan of either Harbaugh.

Agree to disagree on Lamar and their offense. When healthy, that offense scores a lot. They might do it differently than everyone else, but I respect their originality and Harbaugh's ability to mold the offense to the quarterback he has. 

How long that style of play can be sustained? Who knows? 

For that offense and style of play, the loss of both of those RB's early was a huge setback.

They also lost Lamar for a few weeks, Stanely for a few more weeks, play in a pretty tough division and still won 8 games. 

I think that's a pretty good job by Harbaugh. 

• Upvote 1

People were not really noticing but they weren't really that good with Lamar this year either. And then Lamar got injured which was inevitable as that type of offense is just not sustainable.  Firing Martindale seems especially dumb unless they completely change their entire defensive philosophy

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Baltimore had the worst defense in the league this year.

I would argue that the Jets had a worse defense. Pass yards/game isn't a great measure on how effective the defense is. Seattle allowed more pass yards/game than the Jets but surrendered 138 less points.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I wonder if the Jets want DC with a strong opinion of how to build/run a Defense.......or just someone who is really good at building/running a Robert Saleh defense. A 'good yes man' vs a true innovator. Thoughts?

I dont think its that simple.  I personally would love Martindale as a DC if there was a way he and Saleh (2 excellent defensive minds) could compromise on a defense.  Its just possible, the schemes require different types of players especially at CB and with the differences in man/zone philosophy.

I believe Martndale took the bullet for his guys. Rift began most notably when Harbaugh showed little to no confidence in his D. Defense was poor but lots of injuries Wink I believe felt his D needed to be shown some confidence not torn down mentally with a lack of.

15 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Wow. Harbaugh, to his credit, is not afraid to make bold moves.

Funny when one of our HCs lets an assistant go its a scapegoat move to save his ass.  When Harbaugh, who had a horrible year as a HC does the same thing, its a bold move.  Perspective is interesting.  How many games did the Raven give away because Harbaugh wouldnt make the smart play?  Blame the D?

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I just don't think with the way the league enforces the rules that those defenses are nearly as viable anymore. 

Another way to say don't waste your time taking a CB in the 1st rd.

13 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Not a big surprise, Baltimore had the worst defense in the league this year. Time for a shake up 

52BCE4B7-9B1B-4864-B282-5E29B6B9BB02.jpeg

Passing yards per game is affected by game situations.  Look the Giants, who's D sucked are one of the best by this list.  The Ravens who have a good D are the worst by this metric?   Their D took a step back last year, but I dont think Wink forgot how to catch, it happens 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Funny when one of our HCs lets an assistant go its a scapegoat move to save his ass.  When Harbaugh, who had a horrible year as a HC does the same thing, its a bold move.  Perspective is interesting.  How many games did the Raven give away because Harbaugh wouldnt make the smart play?  Blame the D?

Why are you the way you are?  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Why are you the way you are?  

You mean being able to have an opinion just like everyone else?

WTF was the problem with my post?  Want to argue that Harbaugh didn’t have a horrible year?  Go,ahead.  Want to argue that every time a Rex fired someone he wasn’t accused of scapegoating him, go ahead.  

Martindale just might find a home in Pittsburgh, their DC just retired.

Pittsburgh Steelers DC Keith Butler Retires - Sports Illustrated Pittsburgh Steelers News, Analysis and More

Steelers DC Keith Butler Retires

Keith Butler has been with the Pittsburgh Steelers since 2003.

PITTSBURGH — Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator Keith Butler has announced his retirement. 

"It is an emotional day as I announce I am retiring from my football coaching career," Butler told Steelers.com. "I have spent every year since 1990 as a coach in the NFL and the NCAA, but the time is right for me to walk away after a successful career both playing and coaching the game I love.

"I want to thank the Rooney Family, Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin and all the coaches and players that I have been involved with over my entire coaching career. I look forward to spending more time with my family, whom have been so supportive of me throughout the years. I wish nothing but the best to the Pittsburgh Steelers, and I will be cheering them on during my retirement."

Butler has been with the Steelers since 2003, working as the linebackers coach until 2014 before being promoted to defensive coordinator in January of 2015. 

The Steelers defensive coordinator position could feature a few candidates but the expectation is defensive assistant Teryl Austin will be promoted into the role.

• Upvote 1