Rumor: Braxton Berrios looking for $9m year

Rhg1084

16 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Are people stupid?  No offense but seriously.  Or is everyone just a lazy ass these days. 

Tim Patrick played 839 snaps.   500 more snaps than Braxton Berrios.  He had 7 more receptions w/ a veteran QB.

lmfao

This is asinine.  What are we doing here?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, JiFapono said:

Are people stupid?  No offense but seriously.  Or is everyone just a lazy ass these days. 

Tim Patrick played 839 snaps.   500 more snaps than Braxton Berrios.  He had 7 more receptions.

lmfao

Berrios will be the #4 wr on this team next year, is that hard for you to comprehend? What team in the nfl pays their #4 guy $9m a year?

39 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think berrios has worked himself into a #3 slot receiver.  Hes not a 4 anymore.  What do the top #3 slot guys go for?

We paid Keelan Cole 5.5 mil this year. Berrios is clearly better.

Cole Beasley makes 7.5 million a year.  I think that is a fair price for berrios.

Keelan Cole the year before we signed him: 55 receptions, 642 yards, 5 TDs

Cole Beasley the year before he signed with the Bills: 65 receptions, 672 yards, 3 TDs

Braxton Berrios last year: 46 receptions, 431 yards, 2 TDs

He’s a good #4 and an excellent returner. I could see a team maybe going up to $6m on a short deal. But really that includes potential. 

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, he's a special teams and role player.

4th WR, back up slot WR and kick returner is not what I would call a "starter".

He'll get reps for sure, I want the guy, I like the guy, but that's too much.

Where should this money be allocated? I’m all for negotiating but he’s a guy who’s a no brainer to bring back. 

• Upvote 3

Curious if this is just made up or which side floated it to see what the reaction is. 

Ithink 9 is what Fant got to come here. 

JDs job is to make Berrios the 5th WR/KR so no he’s not worth 9

with that said, please don’t let him get away lol

3 minutes ago, heymangold said:

The answer is simple. He was a good player on one of the worst offenses in the NFL.  He was a great kick returner. If all goes to plan, he’d be the 4th or 5th WR on the team.  Is that worth 9M?

With the current state of the roster it’s an easy yes for me.

• Upvote 1

Calm down folks!  It was their opening shot over the bow!  If another team pays him that then I say Vaya Con Dios!  But they won't.  A lot will depend on what Douglas will do in free agency.  He has to think he needs to sign at least two WR (and draft one) so the Smith Brothers don't have to play any longer.  Berrios is a reliable receiver and returner who is worth $7mm per.  

Let it play out!

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Berrios will be the #4 wr on this team next year, is that hard for you to comprehend? What team in the nfl pays their #4 guy $9m a year?

Says who, you?  Who is this 3rd WR you are referencing?  Why cant Berrios play slot full time?  

And yes, he's still worth $9 million a year.  No question about it.  Your most dynamic play maker who matches the output of the "starters" on hundreds of less snaps, is 100% worth it.  Why is that so hard for you comprehend? 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Tim Patrick played 839 snaps.   500 more snaps than Braxton Berrios.  He had 7 more receptions w/ a veteran QB.

lmfao

Tim Patrick was also the 4th, maybe 5th option on that offense.  Berrios was unfortunately the 1st.  I like the kid but he’s not worth 9M a year, sorry.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Spot on!  "One agent is speculating that Berrios is looking for $9mm per" and this board goes nuts!

This thread looks "nuts" to you?  Please.  

You want to see craziness on this board?   Wait until Becton fails to show up for camp or comes in 20 pounds heavier.  Or Mims signs on for next season's Dancing With the Stars.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

This thread is unreal.  What if he was asking for 7$ million?  Worth it?  lmfao. 

so dumb, seriously, 

Resigning Berrios is a no-brainer

buddy-buddy/good chemistry with Wilson, one of the best  return men in the league, rarely injured 

We have tons of cap space. Pay him 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think berrios has worked himself into a #3 slot receiver.  Hes not a 4 anymore.  What do the top #3 slot guys go for?

We paid Keelan Cole 5.5 mil this year. Berrios is clearly better.

Cole Beasley makes 7.5 million a year.  I think that is a fair price for berrios.

Beasley would seem something of an analog, production wise.

Through three years Beasley:  Targeted 127 times, 91 catches, 916 Yards, 6 Receiving TD's, 10.0 YPR.

Through three years Berrios:  Targeted 133 times, 89 catches, 940 Yards, 5 Receiving TD's, 10.6 YPR.

Beasley is 5'8", 174 pounds.  Berrios is 5'9", 190 pounds.

So if Beasley is in fact market value, his last contract was:

Cole Beasley signed a 4 year, $29,000,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $6,000,000 signing bonus, $14,400,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,250,000.

Given his role, I'd be comfortable offering him up to 8M/year average, along the lines of similar terms to Beasley. 

Seems fair.  He comes back as the starting KR/PR and #4 WR.  We move on from Cole and Crowder.

We draft a WR in the 1st (at pick #10), and go Draft Pick/Davis/Moore/Berrios as our 4-wide group, the rest are backups.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

Salaries have gone up in the NFL. The revenue sources have gone way up and teams now have to pay more for talent. Starting QBs are making in the 20s-30s and that will go up. The Jets let Andre Roberts walk after he had a Pro Bowl year as a return guy for a lot less money and that was only a few years back. I can see the Jets offering him incentives that will boost his salary to 9 per if he makes them but base salary you’d think would be 6-7 per. Not sure if any team would outbid them on that. 

• Upvote 2

A few objective notes.

Berrios was 2nd in the NFL for Avg. Punt Return yards among players with at least 10 returns.  The top 5 net return avgs were:

• 13.4 (Berrios)

...and it quickly drops to 10 yards/return after that.  So Berrios was valuable in that role.

As a receiver, he had a nice stat line with 70% reception percentage.  He is clearly the backup slot WR although with Crowder almost certainly leaving, it depends on what the team sees Moore as.  If Moore moves outside, which I doubt, Berrios would get a lot of snaps in the slot.  But assuming we bring in at least one FA or high draft pick at WR, and Davis returning, I see Berrios as the #4 barring injury.

I assume there is a number where it makes sense, well south of $9M but I would be looking hard at who would be returning punts next season just in case.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

He's worth every single penny of it.

Jets fans and their issues w/ paying players is so, just, wtf?  Such a weird phenomenon with this fanbase.  I dont know a single player in the history of this franchise, that Jets fans were happy to sign/give money to.  Legit.  I'm being dead serious.  I've never seen a contract given to a player who deserves it, celebrated.  I understand we've handed out some next level dumb sh*t but still, it's bizarre.

Anywho, Berrios is arguably a better slot WR than Jamison Crowder at this point in their careers.  When you consider what else he does for this team ie; returns, gadget plays, end arounds, leadership, work ethic, passion, etc.  He's worth every ******* penny.  It establishes culture.  Reward those who deserve it and Berrios, deserves it.  He's best friends with your franchise QB,  Zach loves throwing to him.  Dont **** this up and let him walk over a few millions.  That would be flat out stupid.

Berrios is a priority signing for this team.

Until the Jets start winning and Zach looks like a franchise QB, Free agents are going to keep passing up the Jets for another franchise that also has space and is in a better position. Use that cap to retain your players. It's the most effective usage of it until the Jets become a contender.

The Jets have to start worrying about cap if Zach balls out and is into his second contract, not before. By then, the cap might be 20-30% more than it is now anyways by then.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Beasley would seem something of an analog, production wise.

Through three years Beasley:  Targeted 127 times, 91 catches, 916 Yards, 6 Receiving TD's, 10.0 YPR.

Through three years Berrios:  Targeted 133 times, 89 catches, 940 Yards, 5 Receiving TD's, 10.6 YPR.

Beasley is 5'8", 174 pounds.  Berrios is 5'9", 190 pounds.

So if Beasley is in fact market value, his last contract was:

did Beasley get that contract after those 3 years of production? ... or did he continue his development and proved it with bigger production? and only then did he earn that contract.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

A few objective notes.

Berrios was 2nd in the NFL for Avg. Punt Return yards among players with at least 10 returns.  The top 5 net return avgs were:

• 13.4 (Berrios)

...and it quickly drops to 10 yards/return after that.  So Berrios was valuable in that role.

As a receiver, he had a nice stat line with 70% reception percentage.  He is clearly the backup slot WR although with Crowder almost certainly leaving, it depends on what the team sees Moore as.  If Moore moves outside, which I doubt, Berrios would get a lot of snaps in the slot.  But assuming we bring in at least one FA or high draft pick at WR, and Davis returning, I see Berrios as the #4 barring injury.

I assume there is a number where it makes sense, well south of $9M but I would be looking hard at who would be returning punts next season just in case.

Honestly having a guy you know can actually field a punt in valuable in itself. Berrios is as sure handed as they come in that regard. Plus he actually is a good returner too. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Until the Jets start winning and Zach looks like a franchise QB, Free agents are going to keep passing up the Jets for another franchise that also has space and is in a better position. Use that cap to retain your players. It's the most effective usage of it until the Jets become a contender.

The Jets have to start worrying about cap if Zach balls out and is into his second contract, not before. By then, the cap might be 20-30% more than it is now anyways by then.

The idea of losing Berrios over 2/3 million dollars, is legit, one of the dumbest ******* things I've heard in a long long long time.  This teams sucks donkey dick, he's one of the few who doesnt but sure, let's squabble over 2/3 million that would provide next to dick as it pertains to acquiring more talent.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1