Rumor: Braxton Berrios looking for $9m year

Rhg1084

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

He's worth every single penny of it.

Jets fans and their issues w/ paying players is so, just, wtf?  Such a weird phenomenon with this fanbase.  I dont know a single player in the history of this franchise, that Jets fans were happy to sign/give money to.  Legit.  I'm being dead serious.  I've never seen a contract given to a player who deserves it, celebrated.  I understand we've handed out some next level dumb sh*t but still, it's bizarre.

Anywho, Berrios is arguably a better slot WR than Jamison Crowder at this point in their careers.  When you consider what else he does for this team ie; returns, gadget plays, end arounds, leadership, work ethic, passion, etc.  He's worth every ******* penny.  It establishes culture.  Reward those who deserve it and Berrios, deserves it.  He's best friends with your franchise QB,  Zach loves throwing to him.  Dont **** this up and let him walk over a few millions.  That would be flat out stupid.

Berrios is a priority signing for this team.

Not disagreeing with you at all, but there not signing him at or close to 9 million per

The cap is projected to go up 14% next year.  If nothing else changes a 6.5 million dollar contract this year should generate a 7.4 plus contract next year.  If his stock is rising and the Jets project his production to increase a 9 million dollar deal is probably reasonable. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Keelan Cole the year before we signed him: 55 receptions, 642 yards, 5 TDs

Cole Beasley the year before he signed with the Bills: 65 receptions, 672 yards, 3 TDs

Braxton Berrios last year: 46 receptions, 431 yards, 2 TDs

He’s a good #4 and an excellent returner. I could see a team maybe going up to $6m on a short deal. But really that includes potential. 

It's not a totally fair comparison. Berrios was only granted even half the snaps in about a handful of games (about 35% of the team's offensive snaps). You're comparing that to players who got 50-90% of the snaps in every game and upwards of 75% of the team's offensive snaps aggregately.

I'm not saying I'd rush out and pay anything he asks for, because there won't be enough balls to go around unless they also trade Davis, but Beasley & Cole aren't apples to apples comparisons.

Berrios averaged ~50 yards/game when he saw at least 40% of the offensive snaps. Would that have been the case if they asked that of him in 15-17 games? Who knows, but that's a better comparison imo than faulting him for not gaining yards while on the sideline before the injuries piled up.

In terms of value to the Jets in 2022 and beyond, the question is would he really see 40-60% of the offensive snaps that often? He's already at best WR3 before they add a high profile WR type in FA or the draft, and even that's further assuming Mims is never bounces back to become more than a roster bubble player ever again.

More than losing him to another team who meets that asking price, I'm more annoyed at Douglas for letting it get this far. Berrios should've already been locked up at 1/3 what he's now asking, with the GM knowing both his veteran slot receivers were going to become UFAs after the 2021 season. It's his job to keep picking the brains of his coordinators and position coaches to know who could/should really be something as needed, and who'd be cheap & easy to replace, instead of waiting for the player to have a breakout game or two that jacks up his dollars right before hitting FA. That's a classic Maccagnan thing to do.

If Berrios does get $9MM from someone else, then the Jets will get more than just a 7th round comp pic for him. Won't be a 3rd (and probably not a 4th either), but it won't be nothing. I'm guessing a 5th (~pick #170-180, give or take). 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The cap is projected to go up 14% next year.  If nothing else changes a 6.5 million dollar contract this year should generate a 7.4 plus contract next year.  If his stock is rising and the Jets project his production to increase a 9 million dollar deal is probably reasonable. 

he makes the field shorter for wilson and that is huge.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

We have more needs than to pay this guy (although really good at what he does) this rumored amount...3 yrs at 5-6 per year.

i'd rather pay him than some mercenary who will ultimately disappoint like most FAs here.  plus berrios changes field position.  that is huge.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

$9m for a #4 WR who’s a good KR? GTFOH! I’d give him 3 years $15m max! 

People thought I was off base when I said a few weeks ago in another Berrios thread he’d be looking for 9-10 mil per.

(I’d give it to him. Time for JD to start paying the guys who perform)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i'd rather pay him than some mercenary who will ultimately disappoint like most FAs here.  plus berrios changes field position.  that is huge.

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

People thought I was off base when I said a few weeks ago in another Berrios thread he’d be looking for 9-10 mil per.

Concur.  And I don't get the sense he's the type of player that will sign his deal and coast ala Wilkerson.

The guy is a gamer. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

if you don't keep him you're going to have to go out and get a KR, PR and gadget guy.  why not just keep him.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Wit said:

He fits this system perfectly. He takes hit. He catches the ball. He seems a leader and a smart dude to boot. He is friends with Zach. He wants nine but he probably gets much less guaranteed. JD doesn’t overpay. 

he gains yards, gets first downs and gives the offense good field position.  he has completely changed the special teams which had been a disaster for years.  keep him for a few years and help the qb out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Beasley would seem something of an analog, production wise.

Through three years Beasley:  Targeted 127 times, 91 catches, 916 Yards, 6 Receiving TD's, 10.0 YPR.

Through three years Berrios:  Targeted 133 times, 89 catches, 940 Yards, 5 Receiving TD's, 10.6 YPR.

Beasley is 5'8", 174 pounds.  Berrios is 5'9", 190 pounds.

So if Beasley is in fact market value, his last contract was:

Given his role, I'd be comfortable offering him up to 8M/year average, along the lines of similar terms to Beasley. 

Seems fair.  He comes back as the starting KR/PR and #4 WR.  We move on from Cole and Crowder.

We draft a WR in the 1st (at pick #10), and go Draft Pick/Davis/Moore/Berrios as our 4-wide group, the rest are backups.

I think he would be pleased with this kind of offer from the Jets. Get 'er done JD!

34 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I understand what you're saying...but, he made the pro bowl as a returner.  Unlike most positions where the Jets have bottomed out, we've had success with kick returners through the years.  I think Leon Washington made the PB a couple of times if I'm not mistaken.  Not only that, kick returners don't last very long in the NFL  

37 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He can ask for whatever he likes, but he won’t get it.   I’d start at $9M too if I were him, knowing I’m probably getting about $6M. 

Exactly.  I think people are jumping to conclusions here.  The $9M is just a starting point for negotiations.  I don't think he'll get that (nor is he worth that).  We can overpay a little since he is a good player with a good attitude and he's Zach's security blanket.  But if he really wants $9M then let him get it elsewhere.  We're going to add weapinzz this offseason anyway.

• Upvote 2