The Merged Trade for Deebo Samuel Thread

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

Some people (based on Tanny's comments) are speculating that we have a handshake agreement in place for 10 based on how the draft goes.

There's an awful lot of variables in the first 9 picks to hold a handshake deal together.  JD's phone would explode if some blue chip unexpectedly slipped to #10.  IMO, I don't believe it...

11 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

You think it was easy to trade Darnold and get what he got? That sh*t should’ve gotten the Nobel. 

Fine. JD is excellent at demos. Bad at construction. 

The team hasn't won a division game in 3 years 

Lets not throw JD a parade. He's trading away the last guy's mistakes 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

You think it was easy to trade Darnold and get what he got? That sh*t should’ve gotten the Nobel. 

Nobody here complained about Darnold more than I did, but getting two #2’s for the QB who was the 3rd overall pick in the draft 3 years prior wasn’t the heist you guys imagine it was.

The only thing astounding about that transaction was Carolina picking up his option.

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Nobody here complained about Darnold more than I did, but getting two #2’s for the QB who was the 3rd overall pick in the draft 3 years prior wasn’t the heist you guys imagine it was.

The only thing astounding about that transaction was Carolina picking up his option.

If Carolina picking up his option was astounding, how was getting 2 2nd rounders for him not a heist? 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

If Carolina picking up his option was astounding, how was getting 2 2nd rounders for him not a heist? 

If the second rounder becomes Denzel mims then it ain't worth jack squat 

The picks are awesome in theory. In practice he's not hitting on enough picks to make his build through the draft philosophy work 

Hence this "sell the farm for Deebo" stuff 

• Thumb Down 1

As bad as Darnold was, his rookie year was better than Wilson’s, and I wouldn’t be shocked if after Zach’s third year, we’ll look back and say Sam was better than him.

You can yell and scream all you want at me for saying that, but the only argument you have is that the kid has a miraculous turnaround this year and next.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

As bad as Darnold was, his rookie year was better than Wilson’s, and I wouldn’t be shocked if after Zach’s third year, we’ll look back and say Sam was better than him.

You can yell and scream all you want at me for saying that, but the only argument you have is that the kid has a miraculous turnaround this year and next.

You're embarrassing yourself now

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Very simple. There was no need for them to do it when thy did, and you know that.

As far as the compensation, a 2nd and another #2 the following year (which is the equivalent of a 3rd) is nothing for a 24 yo 3 year starting QB who half the league thought we never gave a chance to succeed. 

*again, don’t confuse me saying this with me thinking Sam didn’t suck.*

Just now, Green Ghost said:

Very simple. There was no need for them to do it when thy did, and you know that.

As far as the compensation, a 2nd and another #2 the following year (which is the equivalent of a 3rd) is nothing for a 24 yo 3 year starting QB who half the league thought we never gave a chance to succeed. 

I disagree. Everyone knew Sam sucked. They robbed the Panthers. 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If the second rounder becomes Denzel mims then it ain't worth jack squat 

The picks are awesome in theory. In practice he's not hitting on enough picks to make his build through the draft philosophy work 

Hence this "sell the farm for Deebo" stuff 

You’re talking about two separate issues. The picks for Sam Darnold is a strong haul. Anything after that is a separate conversation. 

plus, didn’t they get Moore with a second rounder? 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

You’re talking about two separate issues. The picks for Sam Darnold is a strong haul. Anything after that is a separate conversation. 

plus, didn’t they get Moore with a second rounder? 

I already explained why I thought it was reasonable compensation, not a “haul”. And …

Talk about separate issues… what does Moore being a second round pick have to do with anything?  I could say the same thing about Mims.

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m not trying to be a jerk here. I’m completely serious.

Look at Wilson’s stats and explain to me why you disagree… other than your hopes and dreams.

I have no idea, but your premise is faulty - rookie seasons likely aren’t a reliable indicator of future longterm  success or failure. Especially at QB. Years 2 and 3 tend to be decisive. 

24 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

It sure was a heist.  That QB we picked 3rd in the draft morphed into a JAG looking for a job right now.

7 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

I disagree. Everyone knew Sam sucked. They robbed the Panthers. don’t “rob” anyone.

You’re entitled to disagree, and think we won the trade. I agree, because like you said , Sam sucks. However, just because you and I thought that doesn’t mean “everyone” did, and you’re one of the smart ones here. You know that.

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

You’re entitled to disagree, and think we won the trade. I agree, because like you said , Sam sucks. However, just because you and I thought that doesn’t mean “everyone” did, and you’re one of the smart ones here. You know that.

Huh

11 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I don't know, getting anything as high as a 2nd for the worst-ranked QB in the league is pretttttttttty good.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I already explained why I thought it was reasonable compensation, not a “haul”. And …

Talk about separate issues… what does Moore being a second round pick have to do with anything?  I could say the same thing about Mims.

I literally said what does Mims have to do with it when we can mention Moore. Then you say what does Moore have to do with it when we can mention Mims. Don’t jump into mid convos. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I have no idea, but your premise is faulty - rookie seasons likely aren’t a reliable indicator of future longterm  success or failure. Especially at QB. Years 2 and 3 tend to be decisive. 

Again, not looking to make this bigger than it should be.

This is an argument people here have had for 4 years now. One side will bring up Peyton’s rookie year, and the other side will call him an outlier.

Like everyone else here, I’m rooting like hell for Wilson to become a really good QB. I’m sick of losing, but he stunk last year.. worse than Sam did his rookie year.

Can he become better than Sam did? Yes possibly, but there is no way anyone can say with any certainty he will based off his first year.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

Trade #10 for deebo, I was on fence but this guy opens it all up for E moore, C Davis, TEs etc…..defenses have to account for this dude at all times.   Just do it 

Absolutely. He can play all over the field. There is not another "Deebo" in football. Question is: Will the #10 get it done. Not feeling that way. Although Deebo's brother throwing out polarizing tweets doesn't hurt the possibility. 

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

I don't know, getting anything as high as a 2nd for the worst-ranked QB in the league is pretttttttttty good.

The other thing he deserves credit for is not caving to the media narrative that he should have kept Sam, with some even suggesting that that they extend him 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m not trying to be a jerk here. I’m completely serious.

Look at Wilson’s stats and explain to me why you disagree… other than your hopes and dreams.

I think Sam was more NFL ready. Sam flashed here and there but never really got any better, he kinda of just got worse. Zach came from the mountains into a system that wasn’t installed yet, a line that didn’t know the scheme yet and an offensive coordinator who waited till he was hurt until he went up into the box where he belonged.

Yet, after his injury and watching any QB not named him run the offense nicely kid showed a modicum of improvement. Still not nearly enough to think he’s going to be good to great, but plenty to think he won’t be any worse than Sam. Haha 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Yes possibly, but there is no way anyone can say with any certainty he will based off his first year.

Of course not - but the point is that you wouldn’t be able to say that after one year, regardless of how he played, unless he was Justin Herbert. And eve then, you have Baker who fell off a cliff after an excellent rookie year . . .  

28 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

His last third of the year was the best of the rookie QBs according to NFL analysts. I don't know how that compares to how Sam was playing his first year.

Zach's stats were bad, no use arguing that. I think the question is, do we get Bucs game Zach, or do we get first half of the season Zach. If Zach continues to improve from how he looked in the Bucs game, we're good. No miraculous turnaround needed, he looked very good towards the end--he needs to keep improving on that. But if he's looking like the first half of the season, I'm with you--scorched earth, horrible player, worse than Sam, he's so freakin bad, he'll never be good . . . so forth and so on.

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Two problems with this argument:

1) He’s already used some of the capital he got for Adams to take AVT - who is awesome.

2) If you give me 100K for my beat up 2005 Toyota Corolla and I turn around and blow it all on coke, hookers, and black jack, I still got a good deal. 

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

He’s the starter in Carolina as of right now, isn’t he? That’s no different than Wilson being the starter here.

It's completely different. It seems pretty clear Carolina (Coaching staff and Management) feels they screwed up with Sam. They do not see a future with him. It's pretty common knowledge that JD "fleeced" Carolina on that trade.

Regardless of what you or other Zach doubters think, Saleh and JD are 100% in on Zach and think he's got the goods. Doesn't mean he'll succeed, it just means the Jets Organization thinks he'll be awesome.