Jets Sign Former 3rd Overall Pick Solomon Thomas

Grandy

3 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Guess this means we wont go IDL on day 2 like Conner was saying is a possibility.

I think there's still a strong chance we go DT early.  We struggled stopping the run, lost Fatukasi and only brought back Shepherd on a 1-year vet minimum deal. There's still a need for a run-stopping DT, as most of the guys we have there are primarily pass-rushers.

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

I think there's still a strong chance we go DT early.  We struggled stopping the run, lost Fatukasi and only brought back Shepherd on a 1-year vet minimum deal. There's still a need for a run-stopping DT, as most of the guys we have there are primarily pass-rushers.

Yup, agreed.  Thomas is a potential depth piece.  Has not been a regular starter since 2018.  He does not change the need to add a potential starting DT in the draft.   Perrion Winfrey, Travis Jones, Devonte Wyatt are all day 2 possibilities for us.  Solomon Thomas does not change that.

• Upvote 2

It’s about time we start signing second rate players to defense, this is basically the defensive equivalent of Corey Davis.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No. Not unless we are giving him 3 years and 37 mil. Every team has 90 players on the roster in the offseason. Most of those guys are not starting caliber. Thomas will have.a chance to make the roster as a depth piece. That is all this signing is.

You remind me of my mother in law. Not happy unless you have something to complain about.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

No. Not unless we are giving him 3 years and 37 mil. Every team has 90 players on the roster in the offseason. Most of those guys are not starting caliber. Thomas will have.a chance to make the roster as a depth piece. That is all this signing is.

You remind me of my mother in law. Not happy unless you have something to complain about.

Tell you what, save your judgment until the team actually has nothing to complain about. We give up more than 20 points and we’re likely gonna lose and you don’t complain, I’d say the tolerance of fans like you that don’t seem to give a sh*t about actually rooting for a good team are the issue.

3 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Tell you what, save your judgment until the team actually has nothing to complain about. We give up more than 20 points and we’re likely gonna lose and you don’t complain, I’d say the tolerance of fans like you that don’t seem to give a sh*t about actually rooting for a good team are the issue.

So, if i have this straight, it is okay for you to spread your negavite thoughts over damn near evey thread on the board, but if I disagree with you and question your position on a move, then I need to save my judgement.  There is plenty wrong with this team, but a depth signing on a guy who will be given a chance to make the roster is not one of them.  

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Yup, agreed.  Thomas is a potential depth piece.  Has not been a regular starter since 2018.  He does not change the need to add a potential starting DT in the draft.   Perrion Winfrey, Travis Jones, Devonte Wyatt are all day 2 possibilities for us.  Solomon Thomas does not change that.

I really like all of those guys for us, especially Jones - I have been picking him in mocks whenever I can. Winfrey and Wyatt will probably go earlier than Jones, but any of the three would be really good additions to the interior of our D-line.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

If the jets draft edge. There moving JFM back to DT where he prefers to be. So there not looking for a starting DT.. more so one that specialize in the Run..  still dont think there gonna use of the 2nd rd picks on one though. 

So, if i have this straight, it is okay for you to spread your negavite thoughts over damn near evey thread on the board, but if I disagree with you and question your position on a move, then I need to save my judgement.  There is plenty wrong with this team, but a depth signing on a guy who will be given a chance to make the roster is not one of them.  

My negative thoughts? What’s positive right now? Are you content with how Zach Wilson played? Are you content with our complete lack of weapons on offense? I openly said I think Zach isn’t good but here I am the only one on this forum pounding the table to give the kid some help and I’m negative because I don’t want Sauce Gardner? Give me a break. I have no problem with Solomon Thomas. I’m saying it’s about time we start trying the experiment of taking other team’s failed 1st round picks on defense instead of offense for a change.

28 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I really like all of those guys for us, especially Jones - I have been picking him in mocks whenever I can. Winfrey and Wyatt will probably go earlier than Jones, but any of the three would be really good additions to the interior of our D-line.

It would be nice if the Jets found some solid DTs after the top 15 players in the draft.  This defense needs “planet” guys on the DL. LB are drafted lower and developed. 

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

My negative thoughts? What’s positive right now?Are you content with how Zach Wilson played? Are you content with our complete lack of weapons on offense? I openly said I think Zach isn’t good but here I am the only one on this forum pounding the table to give the kid some help and I’m negative because I don’t want Sauce Gardner? Give me a break. I have no problem with Solomon Thomas. I’m saying it’s about time we start trying the experiment of taking other team’s failed 1st round picks on defense instead of offense for a change.

The off is looking up, sauce would be a bad pick  and what you are saying about Solomon is silly. We signed Corey Davis after a great year and he got hurt, chances are he will be above average this year, and Solomom is a back up coming off a decent year, for what he is going to be asked to do he should excel.

Saying we just taking crappy former first is not accurate and lazy. You have to have 0 context to even entertain your perspective.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

Q: why in the world do Jets fans ALWAYS whine about a depth signing?  It happens every year.

No wonder Jets fans get no respect.  I tell ya. 
r00td.jpg

it don't make much sense. I for one am ecstatic about the depth signing. For years we had bad or mediocre players in back up roles and then we would pay them above market or just keep signing the same guys over and over with no upside. It never made sense until I realized our GMs were terrible at their job. Look at Joe even hindered by a terrible roster he always picks up guys that should give us similar play to what we have but has a chance to take a step and maybe surprise us. You name the player and there is a narrative where the guy might be good. 

So us changing out the bottom of the roster for guy that might grow or be better than they have been is always a better move than just keeping a guy that can't improve. Backups should always be guy you want to take over at that spot. Not easy or even possible in some cases but every year people bitch. it is crazy. 

Joe is building the team right and signing these guys to give them a shot at outperforming their stock is always a great thing!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Solomon Thomas ‘excited to dominate’ after signing with Jets

Brian Costello

New Jets defensive lineman Solomon Thomas expects big things in 2022.

“I’m excited to go off,” Thomas said on a Zoom call Wednesday. “I’m excited to go dominate.”

Thomas, who was the No. 3 overall pick out of Stanford by the 49ers in 2017, admits his production has not been what he expected in the NFL. Thomas has 9.5 sacks in five years. But Thomas said he feels good now that he is two years removed from his ACL tear and is ready to play at a higher level.

“I haven’t performed exactly how I’ve wanted over the years,” Thomas said. “My production is not there. I’ve had a good year here or there. I’ve had good plays. Most importantly, I show up and try to be the best teammate I can be every day. I try to bring championship-level effort, championship-level professionalism to a program every day I can. That’s what I’m here to do. I know my personal production can go up a lot. I know I can be a way better player in this league.”

Thomas signed a one-year deal with the Jets, relishing the chance to reunite with Jets coach Robert Saleh, who was his defensive coordinator in San Francisco from 2017-20. Thomas said he spoke to the Jets last season in free agency but went to the Raiders instead. This year, he said he wanted to come to the Jets.

Jets Solomon Thomas

Solomon Thomas with the Raiders on Dec. 20, 2021. Getty Images

“They’re attractive for a lot of reasons,” Thomas said. “It’s a young, hungry team. You look at the talent on the team, with some of the guys who are here, a young, hungry quarterback, a very young and talented D line. Also, coach Saleh really attracted me, too, knowing how he takes care of his players, how he coaches, the intensity and passion he brings, the scheme and philosophy and just how he runs a building. It’s set up for success.

“I want to bring a championship-level culture here. That was a goal of mine. I know that is a goal of coach Saleh’s — to win a championship. I know that what he’s doing here. He’s building to get to that level, to win a championship. That’s what we’re all trying to do here. I wanted to come here for a place I know is trying to achieve that level. I know we can do that here. That’s the goal.”

The 26-year-old said he has no concerns about playing his home games at MetLife Stadium on the field he tore his ACL in 2020 against the Jets. Thomas played in the stadium last year with the Raiders against the Giants. He said he and the turf talked things out.

“I came out early, about three hours before game time,” Thomas said. “I sat on the turf and I made amends with it. I talked to it. I forgave it. I said, ‘Hey, moving forward, we’re going to be buddies.’ I’m glad I did that because now I’ll be playing here eight, nine games a season. It also was new turf. I know it’s broken up a little bit and it’s more firm now. It’s a better turf now. I’m excited to be here. Like I said, me and the turf are on good terms now. We’re good to go.”

Thomas, listed at 6-foot-3, 295 pounds, said he can play both inside and outside in Saleh’s defense and he feels the attacking style plays to his strengths.

“I’m an undersized, inside player but this is where I can thrive,” Thomas said. “I can use my athleticism. I can be quick. I can be explosive. Those are my strengths. I also like the simplicity of it. You know your call and we can adjust off of it but our main calls are our main calls and we play off that.”

• Sympathy 2

Play him at safety he's faster than Hamilton.

Solomon is an energizer bunny, he'd be a fine replacement for that laggard QW                                                                                   

• Haha 1

Cheap, athletic, rotational depth piece with scheme familiarity… solid low risk team building.  Quietly, Nathan Shephard played much better down the stretch - no penalties - solid stats - and may have been the bigger depth signing that fans probably weren’t too excited about.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jNYC1 said:

Cheap, athletic, rotational depth piece with scheme familiarity… solid low risk team building.  Quietly, Nathan Shephard played much better down the stretch - no penalties - solid stats - and may have been the bigger depth signing that fans probably weren’t too excited about.

Shephard plays with effort, a trait QW is devoid of

On 3/29/2022 at 7:36 AM, 82nd Airborne said:

Cooler than jumping from a C-141 with a T-10C parachute and an attached M-47 below (Dragon).

dragon-dvic542.jpg.27b1f30c65ad863094821ae487f0ba45.jpg

They preferred taller people jumping with it.

Those things sucked to jump. Glad I never had to do it. 

I had to jump the PRC-77 with a couple of phones etc, so I always had that extra 30 lbs. 

Why they usually make the big strapping guys 60 or 240 gunners and the skinny f*cks like I was radio guys? 

I was like 140 soaking wet and usually had 80-100 pounds dangling between my legs and it wasn't a giant johnson!