Interesting mock

Sauce & London in round 1. Edge and ILB in round 2. OT in round 3. Interesting in that It covers the positions most of us want to see taken, just in a different sequence with different players. Not saying I'm crazy about it. Having Pickens, Dotosn and Moore as the best remaining WRs going into round 2 is not good. Does make the argument for waiting on an OT until round 2 and later valid.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/article/nfl-draft-analysis/thors-3-round-mock-draft-40?utm_int=Edge1248

If the Jags or Texans take Ickey before the Jets can take him at 4, I think it may very well go that way.  I believe the ideal for them is to trade Becton for what they can get and draft Ickey at 4.  I think this has been the ideal plan since the combine.  I believe they also love Sauce and wound take him at 4 by default if Ickey was gone.  

Considering the way the rest of the first round would play out, if they take Sauce at 4, London will almost certainly be there at 10 for them to take.  They rate him as the best WR in the draft and it fills a need as well.

This all depends on the availability of Ickey at 4.  If he's not there, I'd bet Sauce / London would be the combo in the first round.

If Ickey is there, it will be Ickey / London

Or Ickey at 4 and CB Trent McDuffee at 10.

Outside chance both Ickey and Sauce are gone at 4

Hamilton at 4 and London at 10.

33 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Sauce & London in round 1. Edge and ILB in round 2. OT in round 3. Interesting in that It covers the positions most of us want to see taken, just in a different sequence with different players. Not saying I'm crazy about it. Having Pickens, Dotosn and Moore as the best remaining WRs going into round 2 is not good. Does make the argument for waiting on an OT until round 2 and later valid.

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/article/nfl-draft-analysis/thors-3-round-mock-draft-40?utm_int=Edge1248

Damn! That’s interesting. 

• Haha 1

Damn if the draft board fell that way the Giants would be loving life.

I don't hate the draft for the Jets. I am all about the Sauce and would be so happy if they took him at 4.  People will be mad that Drake is "slow" but I think because of his size he can produce right away,

When asked about concerns regarding his speed, London quipped: "Watch the film. At the end of the day, I really don't have to blow by guys to catch the ball. I mean, I can, but I don't have to."

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I am going on record as saying I don't think offensive line at 4 and trading Becton is the plan at all. I think the actual plan is Becton.

Could be, but I doubt it.  Unless they are deliberately spreading misinformation to back-channel sources, the are done with Becton.  I mean REALLY done. 

34 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

If the Jags or Texans take Ickey before the Jets can take him at 4, I think it may very well go that way.  I believe the ideal for them is to trade Becton for what they can get and draft Ickey at 4.  I think this has been the ideal plan since the combine.  I believe they also love Sauce and wound take him at 4 by default if Ickey was gone.  

Considering the way the rest of the first round would play out, if they take Sauce at 4, London will almost certainly be there at 10 for them to take.  They rate him as the best WR in the draft and it fills a need as well.

This all depends on the availability of Ickey at 4.  If he's not there, I'd bet Sauce / London would be the combo in the first round.

Great post as always Baron. Are you that impressed with McDuffee at 10? Havent heard much buzz about him going that high. In that scenerio if Ikey goes to us at #4 I'd rather Karlaftis/JJ at 10. Mims off season plays a major role here I believe. If the Jets are content that last year was just bad circumstances for Mims and they believe he will turn it around I see them going Wr second round and more the Dohtson type. Then you'd have a balance of bigs in Corey Davis and Mims, and precise route runner speed types in Moore and Dohtson. 

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

Ok, maybe not THAT interesting lol

Honestly it really is, certainly covers the needs. I personally don’t see sauce at 2, but he is considered one of best players in the draft. Giants getting another potential dominate pass rusher is just kind of what they do. Worse part of this is poor Malik Willis being Shanghai’d to the Lions. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Who is "Ickey"?

Did I miss a nickname assignment somewhere? 

Is this Ikem Ekwonu?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

For me that's the worst possible outcome of round 1 . 

Could very well be, but what if those two players turned out to be HOF quality and the others that we might prefer without hindsight totally flopped ???

So much is up to chance.  So many moving parts.  And many of these prospects wind up landing on parched earth with the team they go to and fail whereas they could have been great performers elswhere.

So many moving parts.  

14 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I am going on record as saying I don't think offensive line at 4 and trading Becton is the plan at all. I think the actual plan is Becton.

Me too, I think kids putting work in and they are ready to roll with him. I’m probably Little  concerned how it turns out but I do think he’s in their plans. I think drafting a center is more likely than them  taking another tackle. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Could very well be, but what if those two players turned out to be HOF quality and the others that we might prefer without hindsight totally flopped ???

So much is up to chance.  So many moving parts.  And many of these prospects wind up landing on parched earth with the team they go to and fail whereas they could have been great performers elswhere.

So many moving parts.  

Well that's the draft in a nutshell. Its nothing more than an educated crapshoot. You have Professional scouts/GM's and personnel men get these wrong all the time.

And it not just the Jets its every single NFL team. What separates the great teams from the mediocre ones is getting more picks right than wrong but more importantly having the systems, coaches and development in place to give these kids the best chance to succeed.  And even the top teams miss , as you never know how a young 20 old  is going to adapt to the NFL. 

• Upvote 3

Ive said it before.

Fant and Becton can both play LT, so if you are confident at least 1 of them is a long term solution in the left side - then you can skip drafting an OT in the top 20 picks. Right tackle can be found later in the draft. There are a lot of good prospects in this class that have the skill and size to project to the right side.

image.thumb.png.3f866907a0968fa4f43a83af83116a78.png

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Ive said it before.

Fant and Becton can both play LT, so if you are confident at least 1 of them is a long term solution in the left side - then you can skip drafting an OT in the top 20 picks. Right tackle can be found later in the draft. There are a lot of good prospects in this class that have the skill and size to project to the right side.

We've seen what happens to even good Olines with injuries . Oline depth is critical especially when developing a young QB. With JD's proclaimed affinity to Oline , would not be surprised one bit if they draft Ekownu and keep all 3 of Becton/Fant/Ekwonu. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I'm not even sure JD is ready to throw the towel in on Mims either.  Won't surprise me at all to see 3 of first 4 picks go defense...

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Its not THAT interesting. Everyone and their mother knows the Jets will be targeting Edge, WR, LB, OT with their first 4 picks and everyone knows that they love Sauce which could push one of those positions back one round. 

What WOULD be interesting to me is if they passed on WR until Rd. 3. Or Doubled up on Edge after taking Sauce at 4 (so they took Edge at 10 and 35), something lie that. 

This mock is not that crazy. 

Sidenote: Personally, I've really come around on Pickens the more tape I've watched of him. He has sky high potential. #1 type potential. He's an elite athlete, has great awareness, good hands, he's strong and a willing blocker, has size and is not a bad route runner.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Thank you!

Why would you give up on a first-round draft pick after he showed promise in his first year and got injured in his second?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Great post as always Baron. Are you that impressed with McDuffee at 10? Havent heard much buzz about him going that high. In that scenerio if Ikey goes to us at #4 I'd rather Karlaftis/JJ at 10. Mims off season plays a major role here I believe. If the Jets are content that last year was just bad circumstances for Mims and they believe he will turn it around I see them going Wr second round and more the Dohtson type. Then you'd have a balance of bigs in Corey Davis and Mims, and precise route runner speed types in Moore and Dohtson. 

As much as I like Sauce, McDuffee and or Stingley may wind up being better players.  Not possible to know until they get into action.  I like Sauce very much for the intangibles and see him as a core member of a defense and a locker room guy as well as a skilled player.  His style of play also is a perfect fit for Saleh's defense.  He is more of a corner that uses his head and instincts to know what is going on and where to be.  He can also tackle.  He'll be all over the place.  He'll also probably be calling the signals for the back end of the defense wherever he goes.  However, Both McDuffee and especially Stingley show greater physical skills.  If Stingley didn't have the durability issues, he'd probably be considered the only true elite player in the draft.  I think McDuffee may be a better fit for a defense that does a lot of aggressive blitzing because he is so good in press man.  He makes up for his comparatively smaller size by being physically aggressive.  But then again, if you try to get too technical with matching players to systems, you lose sight of the fact that all of these guys are football players and they know how to adapt and make things happen.  

As far as the WR's, I agree that London is the best WR in the draft, but I see Dohtson and Moore as super good round two prospects.  I really like Moore and would not be surprised if he turned out to be the pearl of this years WR class.

9 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Sidenote: Personally, I've really come around on Pickens the more tape I've watched of him. He has sky high potential. #1 type potential. He's an elite athlete, has great awareness, good hands, he's strong and a willing blocker, has size and is not a bad route runner.   

Piggybacking off your side note. Pickens is 9 months ahead of Jameson Williams in his recovery from ACL tear. Those two would be 1A/1B in this draft if fully healthy. 

51 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Damn if the draft board fell that way the Giants would be loving life.

I don't hate the draft for the Jets. I am all about the Sauce and would be so happy if they took him at 4.  People will be mad that Drake is "slow" but I think because of his size he can produce right away,

If you can get your potential left tackle and potential edge threat in the 1st round, you can really set your team up going forward.

• Upvote 1