OT - Lets Go Rangers! (Stanley Cup Run)

On 6/5/2022 at 1:32 PM, More Cowbell said:

I used the Giants as an example of a local rival. The Rangers are a divisional rival, just like the Flyers, Penguins, and Capitals. I find those games the same as the Rangers

If someone thinks Jets Giants are a bigger rivalry than Rangers Islanders I have no idea what to tell them other than you’re not a big hockey fan or weren’t around for 70’s - 80’s hockey in NY.   How can one game every 4 years between 2 teams be anywhere near a divisional rivalry, even today.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Of someone thinks the Giants are a bigger rivalry than Rangers Islanders I have no idea what to tell them other than you’re not a big hockey fan or weren’t around for 70’s - 80’s hockey in NY.   How can one game every 4 years be anywhere near a divisional rivalry, even today.  

Dude, there are a ton of Jet fans on this board that have a deep hatred for the Giants just for the fact we played in Giants stadium  all those years and we are the weak sister in the state. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

On 6/5/2022 at 2:14 PM, More Cowbell said:

Dude, there are a ton of Jet fans on this board that have a deep hatred for the Giants just for the fact we played in Giants stadium  all those years and we are the weak sister in the state. 

Oh, the stadium penis envy thing

I could care less and bet more fans in NYC would laugh at the idea of Jets/Giants being bigger than Rangers/Islanders because every reason I gave outweighs nonsense about the stadium making you feel inferior.

32 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

One shift at a time. One period at a time. One game at a time.

Oh yeah, one more thing… shoot at the Tampa goalies blocker side. ?

It’s pretty amazing the support the Lightning get.   Yzerman as their GM did a great job.    BTW, Fukk them.  LGR!!!!

• Upvote 3

Well, I guess we’ve got a series on our hands. ?‍♂️

Props to Tampa…(when we scored our second goal I started thinking we had them) I guess a sweep was too much to ask. Let’s get game 4 on Tuesday and then finish it off at home.

BTW Did Trouba just take ANOTHER penalty?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

What a pathetic display in the third period.

They were down two forwards and playing the 2x defending cup champs on the road. Not to mention Tampa’s season was on the line in that 3rd period.

I get it, you’re pissed off we lost, but calling it “a pathetic display” is a little over the top though, no?

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

What a pathetic display in the third period.

JETS, you really are a whiner! You criticize Mika, Panarin, Kreider during Pens series. 
Every series you bitch if we lose a game. You really are a fair weather fan.

Green Ghost said it perfectly.

15 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

They were down two forwards and playing the 2x defending cup champs on the road. Not to mention Tampa’s season was on the line in that 3rd period.

I get it, you’re pissed off we lost, but calling it “a pathetic display” is a little over the top though, no?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

The third period was absolutely a pathetic display. 

• Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

JETS, you really are a whiner! You criticize Mika, Panarin, Kreider during Pens series. 
Every series you bitch if we lose a game. You really are a fair weather fan.

Green Ghost said it perfectly.

Fair weather? So what I get on the team if they don’t play well. Am I critical? Sure. Fair weather no. 

7 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Fair weather? So what I get on the team if they don’t play well. Am I critical? Sure. Fair weather no. 

Our Ranger’s players would say fair weather. 
You’re like one of those Dad’s at their son’s BB game who are all smiles when their kid plays well and soaks up the adulation of other parents. But, when the kid pitches a great game but gives up a go-ahead homer the dad is overly-critical. Focuses only on what went wrong 

Did not like the fact that they basically collapsed the net on Tampa’s two PP goals. 

And I’m sorry McDonagh basically blocked Vatrano into the goalie. That should been a good goal and a 3-2 Rangers lead. 

Lesson learned. There is a reason Tampa is looking for a three peat. Regroup and be ready for Tuesday.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Our Ranger’s players would say fair weather. 
You’re like one of those Dad’s at their son’s BB game who are all smiles when their kid plays well and soaks up the adulation of other parents. But, when the kid pitches a great game but gives up a go-ahead homer the dad is overly-critical. Focuses only on what went wrong 

So I can’t criticize them for not playing well after a loss? I never said that cost us the series. You and another poster didn’t like what I said about our third period, well would you say we played well in the third? No you wouldn’t. 

1 hour ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

And one more thing, @32EBoozer. We’ve been posting together in the NYR thread for a few seasons now I’m disappointed to see you question my fandom like this. 

Sometimes it’s ok to just say, tough loss, let’s go out there and get them next time. If I told you we’d be up 2-1 on the two-time defending champs after 3 games you’d ask where to sign. Every loss doesn’t require calling out players. I don’t doubt your fandom, just your fan etiquette. NY is a tough town to play in with the media over analyzing everything. Teams need the backing of fans during the losses too

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Sometimes it’s ok to just say, tough loss, let’s go out there and get them next time. If I told you we’d be up 2-1 on the two-time defending champs after 3 games you’d ask where to sign. Every loss doesn’t require calling out players. I don’t doubt your fandom, just your fan etiquette. NY is a tough town to play in with the media over analyzing everything. Teams need the backing of fans during the losses too

I’m just telling it like I see it. Of course I’m happy we got a 2-1 lead after three games, but we could’ve won today and every game counts in a first to four series. 

10 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Hating a particular  team is a personal preference.  I don't  hate the Giants, I hate the Pats, Miami, and Raiders. It is how you feel personally. The Rangers are just another team to me. It never seemed like they were ever in the way of the Islanders and I would say the same for Ranger fans. I can't  even recall the last time they faced off in a playoff game. 

My apologies to the Ranger fans in this thread, but I have to respond to this post.

MC, your post above is so off base, I don't know where to start. I can only conclude that you are not a big hockey fan.  At least, you must have not been a hockey fan before the 2000s or the 1990s.  The Islander faced the Rangers in the playoffs 5 of 6 years from 79-84.  Those were the most stressful playoff series for me as an Islanders fan back then.  The road to the Cup in those 6 years went through MSG.  In Yes, there have been some lean years for both teams lately, and  when the Islanders have been good in recent years,  the Rangers have missed the playoffs and vice versa this year and when the Rangers had their Cup runs 5+ years ago.  But  because the Islanders and Rangers are in the same division, they are ALWAYS in each other's way. This was true last season when the Rangers made a late season run and the Islanders were coasting a bit and the Islanders/Rangers played two very important late season games that the Islanders needed to win to lock up a playoff berth and knock the Rangers out.  As an Islanders fan, I don't want the Islanders ever losing a single game to the Rangers.  

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

My apologies to the Ranger fans in this thread, but I have to respond to this post.

MC, your post above is so off base, I don't know where to start. I can only conclude that you are not a big hockey fan.  At least, you must have not been a hockey fan before the 2000s or the 1990s.  The Islander faced the Rangers in the playoffs 5 of 6 years from 79-84.  Those were the most stressful playoff series for me as an Islanders fan back then.  The road to the Cup in those 6 years went through MSG.  In Yes, there have been some lean years for both teams lately, and  when the Islanders have been good in recent years,  the Rangers have missed the playoffs and vice versa this year and when the Rangers had their Cup runs 5+ years ago.  But  because the Islanders and Rangers are in the same division, they are ALWAYS in each other's way. This was true last season when the Rangers made a late season run and the Islanders were coasting a bit and the Islanders/Rangers played two very important late season games that the Islanders needed to win to lock up a playoff berth and knock the Rangers out.  As an Islanders fan, I don't want the Islanders ever losing a single game to the Rangers.  

I can find common ground with you on this and that is that we hate each other. I mean seriously idk how you can be on either side of this rivarly and not hate the opposing team. I used to beg my Mom not to make me go to school if the Rangers lost to the Islanders so I didn't have to hear it. I have never heard of anyone on either side not hate the other team.

8 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I don't  want the Islanders to lose to the Ranger, or the Capitals who actually I considered a much more important team to beat because they have been so good, or Philly because I hated them in during the Clark/Schultz era, or a bunch of other teams in the division.  If you have something inside you that makes you hate the Rangers, that is on you. Guys like Ron Dugay , Mike Allison, Greshner, or even the thug Fotiue never bothered me. Once a year I go to a Ranger game with my dad at MSG and we cheer for them together. It is a great experience. I really don't  get up for the Rangers anymore than another divisional team. Thisay change if the Ises get back on track and especially if the Rangers make it to the Finals but that isn't  the case now. After each playoff game I call my dad and we talk about how good this team has done and what a great run this is. I would never do that if he rooted for Miami NE, or LA Raiders.  

24 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

Absolutely brutal to be up 2-0 and lose 3-2 having them in that spot. Bad feeling Tampa is going to win game 4 in convincing fashion  

Not sure what fashion but I'm definitely worried about tomorrow night.  We really had them on the ropes yesterday.  Let's see if we can bounce back tomorrow.  Some good news at least today.  Strome is going to play.  (Say what you will about his postseason but he's far better than the alternative).

• Upvote 1

Tampa Bay is a great team.  They could win the next 3 as well.

But I don't think so.  First, if they didn't win Sunday the series is over.  Second, it was very close despite an A+ effort from Tampa.  Third, even though Tampa was on its A game, the Rangers had plenty of scoring chances.  

What struck me was that the Rangers were just slightly off.  Their passing was not pinpoint the way it has been in the previous 4 games.  I wouldn't call them unforced errors, but they just lacked that little bit of sharpness.

Tuesday's game is critical for TB, but I don't believe they can repeat their performance.  Not questioning their effort or talent, but I think it will be mentally a little tougher.  I also think Rangers will be on their A game.

Look, either team can win this, but I think there is a slight edge to the Rangers.  Go Rangers!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1