Playoff Mandate

8 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Jets are a top 5 team in active spending. Therefore ownership is looking for some results in the standings. There should be some pressure on Douglas to finish with an 8-9 win season but I don't see a playoff mandate. 

Remember that teams are REQUIRED to spend up to a certain % of available Cap space. We hadn’t spent much during JD’s 1st 2 years. What I love is how JD is managing future Allocations. There will be quite a bit of money coming off the cap in the next two years. A lot of frontloaded deals. If you’re not performing you’re leaving.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The mandate crowd never answers that question.  

Hey Rob, I know you took over a 2 win team last year and got them to a whopping 4 wins.  Which was really nice, all things considered.  But you know, it's not enough.  We need more.  Look, I know your team is super young, there are a lot of new pieces to figure in and it is possible Zach Wilson remains the worst QB in the NFL, and yeah, I know the AFC is absolutely loaded with the best young QB's in the NFL, but like yo bro, you gotta make the playoffs this season or else!  Like, no excuses!  I know you just inherited this disaster but the Jets havent won a division game in 3 years, and havent had a winning record in 8 seasons and have the longest playoff draught in the NFL and we feel like, that's on you and you need to rise above and turn it around immediately or else we're going to start all over next year because we heard Jeff Fisher is interested in returning to coaching. 

• Haha 3

There were people on this board who pointed out that Bill Parcells won 3 games in year 1.  In year 2 the Giants went 9 and 7 made the playoffs and won their first round game.   It was also Simms second year under Parcells as HC.

If Saleh is the real deal and Zach is the real deal there is no reason this team can't make the playoffs.  Coaching and QB play with this roster is all it takes.   Douglas has assembled a playoff roster with competent coaching and QB play.  

11 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

At some point, hopes and dreams need to turn into tangible results. The Jets need to start winning games, pure and simple.

With that said, a playoff mandate this season simply isn't being realistic. This is a young team. There are going to be some bumps in the road.

CEO Head Coach

Young up and coming OC

Simian DC

Rocket Armed QB

Speed and talent at WR

Top 10 OL

Solid DL

Mediocre LB

Sauce

Morbidly Obese LT

Why is this not a playoff team in today's NFL where 14 teams will be in the playoffs in 2022?

4 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Alright. fair enough, the Jets should make the playoffs...but that must be based on some reasonable idea of what games they will win the upcoming season. It's pretty hard to buy based on a Bengal game and some vague arguments about the nature of the league. I usually say the entire universe could be understood with some basic Seinfeld knowledge, this as well. 

karate fail GIF

Bengals, tb, and tenn 3 of the best teams in the league at the time. 

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

this team hasn't won a game in division for 3 years

they've won 6 games total in the last 2 years

the "franchise QB" completes at 55% 

but yeah, let's raise expectations to playoff mandate level

what could go wrong? 

Charlie Brown Thanksgiving GIF by Peanuts

there's a certain pathology among Jets fans we have to get super excited and have unrealistic expectations so we can rage out when that doesn't happen 

i dont fully understand it but it reminds me of Jetman67 tearing out his own linoleum off the kitchen floor after a bad loss -  because he had already broken everything else of value in the apartment 

I am not saying that Wilson Will be Peyton Manning or even close, but you did mention his 55% completion percentage, I will use Peyton of a reference point. In 1998 Peyton played on what was probably a more talented team than the Jets were in 2021 and managed to win 3 games. If I recall correctly, he did not have that many drops or as many as the Jets had last year. His Completion Percentage was 56.7

image.thumb.png.dcce21fe0e17ea11c8588a914c7c1a15.png

39 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I am not saying that Wilson Will be Peyton Manning or even close, but you did mention his 55% completion percentage, I will use Peyton of a reference point. In 1998 Peyton played on what was probably a more talented team than the Jets were in 2021 and managed to win 3 games. If I recall correctly, he did not have that many drops or as many as the Jets had last year. His Completion Percentage was 56.7

Paeyton rookie numbers on a comparative basis make Zach look even worse not better.

Payton was 3rd in total yards.  Zach was 30th

19th in passing percentage Zach was 33rd

5th in TD's to Zachs 30th

13 in Net Yards per attempt vs 33rd

5th in yards per game vs 30th.

Comparing Zach's rookie year to Peyton makes Zach rookie year look pathetic.  The idea that Peyton sucked as much as Zach as a rookie is insane.  Peyton showed in his rookie year that he was going to be great.  

You're talking about one of the greatest QB's in NFL history who had a very good rookie season.  It's hyperbole to mention them in the same sentence.

• Upvote 1

JD and Saleh (and ZW for that matter) absolutely have a playoff mandate hanging over their heads. They would probably all agree with that. The key question is when. Seems pretty unreasonable to base whether this team is heading in the right direction this year (2022) on whether or not they make the playoffs.

This team needs to win more games this year, show that they have a real plan going forward, and develop the players. Playoff expectations are there, but fans and the media understand that 2022 is a "get it together" year. There will be steeper expectations (concerning win count) heading forward. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Jets are a top 5 team in active spending. Therefore ownership is looking for some results in the standings. There should be some pressure on Douglas to finish with an 8-9 win season but I don't see a playoff mandate. 

What if the team finishes with 6-7 wins, but clearly looks competent and on the way up?

13 hours ago, McNeil said:

It doesn't make sense the Jets have accumulated so much talent to settle for "meaningful games in December," yada yada. Nor should we as a fan base.

This team on paper should make some noise.

With Burrow & the Bengals doing what they did, there's no reason the Jets can't do a semblance thereof. Hell, the Jets beat the Bengals last year even if it was flukey. In the salary cap, free agent era, crazy turnarounds have been the norm for a select few teams every season. Why not the '22 Jets?

The NFL stands for "Not For Long" in the immortal words of Jerry Glanville. And the Jets time is now to make a move - if Douglas, Saleh, Zach, etc think they are as good as they think they are. Not necessarily to win it all. But by all means, to make the playoffs.

I've been all in with this new regime, unlike many Douglas and Saleh haters who by definition want the Jets to fail. But what comes with being all in is an insistence on results. Playoff mandate.

There is no mandate this year.

I'm not even convinced there will be/would be a mandate for next year (2023).

Woody and Co. seem invested in the JD plan for the long term, and intend to give it however much time it requires.

So we'll just have to wait and see.

P.S. No Jets Fan wants to see JD or Saleh or Zach fail.  

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I'll be the first to say ZW has to go if he has a 55% completion rate again. But I can confidently say that aint gonna happen. 64-65% is middle of the pack. Zach is in year two, he has a better grasp of game speed, he has a better grasp of the offense, he might be fitter and healthier, he has some chemistry with guys, injuries might not plague the offense like last year, the o line is looking to be better overall start to finish, he has good TEs, he has good receivers, he has good RBs who can catch, he is probably working on his short passing game, he is probably working on not bounce passing the ball as much, etc. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Warfish said:

I'm not even convinced there will be/would be a mandate for next year (2023).

I've thought this all along. Whether or not JD and Saleh are going to succeed, I think the "be patient we're going to build this thing right" hedges toward simmering expectations for a few years as they build a very young team. Whether or not fans like it or agree, 2021 was ground zero, the start of the rebuild (Even though JD had been here). 2022 and 2023 are still "putting it together" years. 

• Upvote 1

It doesn't make sense the Jets have accumulated so much talent to settle for "meaningful games in December," yada yada. Nor should we as a fan base.

This team on paper should make some noise.

With Burrow & the Bengals doing what they did, there's no reason the Jets can't do a semblance thereof. Hell, the Jets beat the Bengals last year even if it was flukey. In the salary cap, free agent era, crazy turnarounds have been the norm for a select few teams every season. Why not the '22 Jets?

The NFL stands for "Not For Long" in the immortal words of Jerry Glanville. And the Jets time is now to make a move - if Douglas, Saleh, Zach, etc think they are as good as they think they are. Not necessarily to win it all. But by all means, to make the playoffs.

I've been all in with this new regime, unlike many Douglas and Saleh haters who by definition want the Jets to fail. But what comes with being all in is an insistence on results. Playoff mandate.

I agree with everything except the last two words. 'Playoff mandate'.

Typically, when you put a mandate in place, there have to be consequences for not meeting that mandate. So if the Jets don't make the playoffs...then what? You blow it up? You move on from Zach? or Saleh? or Douglas? Exactly what is the point of putting a 'mandate' in place. Makes no sense to me. Half of the key starters are rookies or 2nd year guys. Expectations should be high and the Jets should be starting this season with the goal of being eligible for the playoffs (I think that's what 'playing meaningful games in Dec. really means'). But 'mandate', nah. Fox Tv No Choice GIF by Almost Family FOX 

I'm not surprised there is a thread like this.  I'm actually surprised that there are so many rational answers. 

It's not crazy to expect the Jets to make the playoffs soon.  OTOH they have not gone about things like there is a mandate.  To make a run, it takes a good team and some luck.  The thing is, if after five years, the Jets haven't had that kind of luck then things must be pretty far off base.  Almost half the league makes the playoffs.  It's hard to keep being in the bottom half. 

I don't think these guys have had enough of a shot to say this year is playoffs or else heads will roll, but if they don't put a run together in the next year or two?  We are all counting on 2023, but are we going to let them have a bunch more excuses if things go wrong then?  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Sorry @McNeil but there is no such mandate, nor will there be in 2022.  A mandate such as that at this point is illogical and sets up the players, coaches and everyone for failure this season.  

Agree their is no "Mandate"  Don't agree that the playoffs are an unrealistic goal for a team that has been substantially rebuilt and is in year 2 with a competent HC and QB.  Granted is Saleh and Zach sh*t the bed we have no shot.  If they both are actually who Douglas hired and drafted there is no reason this team isn't very good.  Very good teams in a 32 team league with 14 playoff teams make the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Remember that teams are REQUIRED to spend up to a certain % of available Cap space. We hadn’t spent much during JD’s 1st 2 years. What I love is how JD is managing future Allocations. There will be quite a bit of money coming off the cap in the next two years. A lot of frontloaded deals. If you’re not performing you’re leaving.

This is really the key about what JD has done.  A lot of 3 year deals where in 24' when a lot of these guys have their guarenteed money run out we could make a lot of big moves.  Or if everything goes to hell the new GM would be pleasantly surprised at how well the cap has been managed.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Paeyton rookie numbers on a comparative basis make Zach look even worse not better.

Payton was 3rd in total yards.  Zach was 30th

19th in passing percentage Zach was 33rd

5th in TD's to Zachs 30th

13 in Net Yards per attempt vs 33rd

5th in yards per game vs 30th.

Comparing Zach's rookie year to Peyton makes Zach rookie year look pathetic.  The idea that Peyton sucked as much as Zach as a rookie is insane.  Peyton showed in his rookie year that he was going to be great.  

You're talking about one of the greatest QB's in NFL history who had a very good rookie season.  It's hyperbole to mention them in the same sentence.

Not so. The initial post mentioned completion percentage and nothing else. In addition, I did state that Peyton was on a better team. 

32 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

I'll be the first to say ZW has to go if he has a 55% completion rate again. But I can confidently say that aint gonna happen. 64-65% is middle of the pack. Zach is in year two, he has a better grasp of game speed, he has a better grasp of the offense, he might be fitter and healthier, he has some chemistry with guys, injuries might not plague the offense like last year, the o line is looking to be better overall start to finish, he has good TEs, he has good receivers, he has good RBs who can catch, he is probably working on his short passing game, he is probably working on not bounce passing the ball as much, etc. 

I am cautiously confident as well. All I am saying is that completion percentage in year one, can be very deceptive.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

This is really the key about what JD has done.  A lot of 3 year deals where in 24' when a lot of these guys have their guarenteed money run out we could make a lot of big moves.  Or if everything goes to hell the new GM would be pleasantly surprised at how well the cap has been managed.

I remember how excited Maccagnan was about how well Idzik managed the cap!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Agree their is no "Mandate"  Don't agree that the playoffs are an unrealistic goal for a team that has been substantially rebuilt and is in year 2 with a competent HC and QB.  Granted is Saleh and Zach sh*t the bed we have no shot.  If they both are actually who Douglas hired and drafted there is no reason this team isn't very good.  Very good teams in a 32 team league with 14 playoff teams make the playoffs. 

No argument there.  It is definitely not unreasonable to think the Jets can and should make the playoffs.  But that is way different from a "mandate".    For me, it would be a pleasant surprise because I am not expecting it yet.

• Upvote 1

But what comes with being all in is an insistence on results. Playoff mandate.

This is always silly to me. What happens if we all insist on the playoffs? Do the Jets magically get into the tournament? What if they don’t? Do we get to fire everyone and start from scratch again? Oh goody, so much fun! 

I have no handle at all on this year’s team. Last year I knew they were gonna suck, and I had a rather relaxing, emotion-free season just observing the team. This year, while there is certainly no internal playoff mandate, I absolutely believe that, “learning to win,” and, “closing out games,” are a priority. Jets should’ve beaten Tom Brady last year, for instance, and I think this year’s defense does. So many variables in play, though. 

Does Robert Saleh bring that urgency to the sidelines this year? I think he does. I don’t think he ever wants to be a screamer, but I do expect more intensity. 

Does this rookie class hit the ground running? Those top four picks represent the top end of the talent the team brought in this year. Their immediate success is almost vital to any playoff type of hopes. And what of the second year players? Does Elijah step up into a #1 type role? Or even the third year guys, Becton and Mims. So much riding on so many young players. 

And, of course, Zach. The absolute worst QB in the league last season, as many posters here love to remind us. Where is he gonna be in year two? Because if the Jets are going to be a playoff team, he needs to be a lot better than even the improved Zach at the end of the year. And if he’s not, the team isn’t benching him for a playoff mandate. They’re gonna ride him until he gets it or they’re certain he won’t. That deadline isn’t coming up in 2022. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

This is always silly to me. What happens if we all insist on the playoffs? Do the Jets magically get into the tournament? What if they don’t? Do we get to fire everyone and start from scratch again? Oh goody, so much fun! 

I have no handle at all on this year’s team. Last year I knew they were gonna suck, and I had a rather relaxing, emotion-free season just observing the team. This year, while there is certainly no internal playoff mandate, I absolutely believe that, “learning to win,” and, “closing out games,” are a priority. Jets should’ve beaten Tom Brady last year, for instance, and I think this year’s defense does. So many variables in play, though. 

Does Robert Saleh bring that urgency to the sidelines this year? I think he does. I don’t think he ever wants to be a screamer, but I do expect more intensity. 

Does this rookie class hit the ground running? Those top four picks represent the top end of the talent the team brought in this year. Their immediate success is almost vital to any playoff type of hopes. And what of the second year players? Does Elijah step up into a #1 type role? Or even the third year guys, Becton and Mims. So much riding on so many young players. 

And, of course, Zach. The absolute worst QB in the league last season, as many posters here love to remind us. Where is he gonna be in year two? Because if the Jets are going to be a playoff team, he needs to be a lot better than even the improved Zach at the end of the year. And if he’s not, the team isn’t benching him for a playoff mandate. They’re gonna ride him until he gets it or they’re certain he won’t. That deadline isn’t coming up in 2022. 

All fair points.

I don't think there's anything wrong with high expectations but the very idea of a "mandate" seems kind of silly. What if they go 10-7 and narrowly miss the playoffs? What if they get off to a hot start and then suffer critical injuries? Time to clean house? There's context to everything.

That said, we've been bad for so long just being a competitive team and being "in the hunt" with other respectable teams is really just the next step here. Would it be great if they skipped that step and were competing Wild Card weekend? Sure. But given we're averaging 4.5 wins over the last six years going 8-9 is a pretty legitimate improvement.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Let's see 'em stop a screen pass on 3rd and 20...

Agree.  The second level of the defense was a weak spot.  Even if that issue still persists, they have the manpower on offense to outscore opponents *IF* Zach Wilson can play the position well and with consistency.  He does not have to be a star.  Just competent.  And Saleh is not so much of a question mark either.  If Wilson plays well, Saleh will look good.  If Wilson sucks, Saleh will get a lot of the blame as will JD. 

For example.  Remember Adam Gase with Peyton Manning.  He was quote the hot prospect.  Remember Gase without Manning ???

Going to be the same deal with Wilson and Saleh.  

If Wilson plays well, we'll hear all about Saleh "really finding his way in that HC spot".  If Wilson sucks, we'll here "At this point is JD thinking about shopping for his next head coach ???"

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Ding, ding ding!

1 hour ago, DonCorleone said:

Not so. The initial post mentioned completion percentage and nothing else. In addition, I did state that Peyton was on a better team. 

Paytons completion percentage as a ranking against other NFL starting QB's in his rookie year was miles better than Zach Wilson.   Completion percentage in 1998 is not the same as completion percentage in 2021.

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Paytons completion percentage as a ranking against other NFL starting QB's in his rookie year was miles better than Zach Wilson.   Completion percentage in 1998 is not the same as completion percentage in 2021.

Not so, you are just making assumptions based on your hatred for Wilson, and that's ok...It is your opinion, completion percentage is just that. Numbers do not lie.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DonCorleone said:

Not s, you are just making assumptions based on your hatred for Wilson, and that's ok...It is your opinion, completion percentage is just that. Numbers do not lie.

I love Wilson.  Loved the pick, love his potential.  He sucked last year.  He in no way shape or form reminded me of Peyton Manning in his rookie year.  

For some context their were essentially 5 NFL rookies last year who got playing time.  Jones was decent.  Mills showed some late season ability to ball.   Fields, Lawrence and Zach sucked.  Zach had the lowest rating of all of them.

In fairness to Zach, he wasn't ready despite the hype that even I believed.  In fairness to Zach Saleh and Lefleur were in over their heads at the begining of the season.   Lefleur at least looked competent by the end of the year.  Saleh looks like he has a lot to learn about being a good HC.

Zach showed some flashes and there is no doubt he has great arm talent and is a very good athlete.  He has a long way to go to catch up to some of the other rookies from the recent past without mentioning Manning.  

Based on Completion percentage in today's NFL,  Zach Wilson was a complete turd.  Manning, based on completion percentage in 1998 was a competent NFL passer.