Playoff Mandate

Joe D tore down this roster and re-made it in his own image.

He hired Saleh and together they've shaped the team in their image.

This roster will be largely unchanged next season. If they can't cobble together a Wild Card berth this year so long as Zach stays healthy, then they had it all wrong.

I mean come on, with this amount of talent they should beat Miami & New England at home, challenge them on the road, maybe beat Buffalo once - that right there is a good start.

*If the Jets don't make a Wild Card this season, should we expect them to make a Wild Card next season? I won't. If they don't make the playoffs this season, for me it would mean they don't know what they're doing. I was/am all in on Joe D, Saleh and Zach - the time is now for them to make a move. In the NFL capable regimes can make the playoffs fast - the cream rises. With a belief in a regime is an expectation of results.

• Haha 1

My only mandate would be being in the hunt in December. 

Division and conference is too hard to put a mandate like that on a building team. 

While now D has done great with what he had to build with.... we still have unproven positions and lack of depth at others. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, McNeil said:

Joe D tore down this roster and re-made it in his own image.

He hired Saleh and together they've shaped the team in their image.

This roster will be largely unchanged next season. If they can't cobble together a Wild Card berth this year so long as Zach stays healthy, then they had it all wrong.

I mean come on, with this amount of talent they should beat Miami & New England at home, challenge them on the road, maybe beat Buffalo once - that right there is a good start.

*If the Jets don't make a Wild Card this season, should we expect them to make a Wild Card next season? I won't. If they don't make the playoffs this season, for me it would mean they don't know what they're doing. I was/am all in on Joe D, Saleh and Zach - the time is now for them to make a move. In the NFL capable regimes can make the playoffs fast - the cream rises. With a belief in a regime is an expectation of results.

Next time, bump your own thread. 

19 minutes ago, Flightattendant said:

I'm not sure how obvious that is considering at least one person is unhappy enough with anything less than a playoff birth to make a thread out of it.

Again without being rude..... 1 or 2 people do not imply fanbase... 

We got 4 last year... a harder schedule...

And you did say keeping it simple... so ya... obvious to me at least... 7 would be good,  10.. great....

playoffs... I'd probably stroke out. 

9 hours ago, PorP said:

Again without being rude..... 1 or 2 people do not imply fanbase... 

We got 4 last year... a harder schedule...

And you did say keeping it simple... so ya... obvious to me at least... 7 would be good,  10.. great....

playoffs... I'd probably stroke out. 

When did I imply an entire fanbase? You're stating that it's obvious that I'd be happy with 7 wins. It's clearly not obvious considering we're having this discussion in a thread that is talking about a playoff mandate. 

For a guy trying to not be rude, you have a funny way of showing it. 

1 hour ago, Flightattendant said:

When did I imply an entire fanbase? You're stating that it's obvious that I'd be happy with 7 wins. It's clearly not obvious considering we're having this discussion in a thread that is talking about a playoff mandate. 

For a guy trying to not be rude, you have a funny way of showing it. 

Your right,  you didn't say you'd be happy with 7, you said you'd love it...

But I was joking and being ironic with the rude comments... you're clearly taking it too serious... I'm out... no need for you to reply. 

1 hour ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Rex gets fired after one 4 win season.  8 years later we are celebrating 4 win seasons

Rex got fired after 4 straight non-winning seasons, which is more than Bowles (3) or Gase (2) had here before getting canned. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Rex got fired after 4 straight non-winning seasons, which is more than Bowles (3) or Gase (2) had here before getting canned. 

If Saleh fails here it might just be time for this organization to admit that Rex and the Jets deserve each other and give him a lifetime contract.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

I don't know where people come up with the idea that such a mandate ever exists but if it did I don't know how you get from four wins to thinking the team is a lock for at least ten wins. There were teams with nine wins last season that didn't get in the playoffs. 

This your first off season here? ;) 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, slimjasi said:

You conveniently didn’t mention we were 8-8 2 out of those 4 seasons

after the last 7 years of unwatchable trash most fans here would kill for 8-8

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

You conveniently didn’t mention we were 8-8 2 out of those 4 seasons

after the last 7 years of unwatchable trash most fans here would kill for 8-8

Maybe most fans would

i wouldn’t. 

Rex has 2 winning seasons in 8 as a head coach. He just wasn’t as good as he thought he was 

On 6/8/2022 at 8:10 PM, McNeil said:

It doesn't make sense the Jets have accumulated so much talent to settle for "meaningful games in December," yada yada. Nor should we as a fan base.

This team on paper should make some noise.

With Burrow & the Bengals doing what they did, there's no reason the Jets can't do a semblance thereof. Hell, the Jets beat the Bengals last year even if it was flukey. In the salary cap, free agent era, crazy turnarounds have been the norm for a select few teams every season. Why not the '22 Jets?

The NFL stands for "Not For Long" in the immortal words of Jerry Glanville. And the Jets time is now to make a move - if Douglas, Saleh, Zach, etc think they are as good as they think they are. Not necessarily to win it all. But by all means, to make the playoffs.

I've been all in with this new regime, unlike many Douglas and Saleh haters who by definition want the Jets to fail. But what comes with being all in is an insistence on results. Playoff mandate.

Lol playoffs!?? 4th best team in the AFC east. ???????????????

11 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Rex has a 65-68 career record and never had even a mediocre starting qb

maybe he’s better than you think he is

Rex isn’t perfect but he might just be perfect for the Jets. Fan base got a little greedy after those two AFC championships. Happens fast. It wouldn’t take 6 rings for us to become as entitled as Pats fans. When Rex faltered, we called for his head. Been a dog sh*t sundae ever since.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Rex isn’t perfect but he might just be perfect for the Jets. Fan base got a little greedy after those two AFC championships. Happens fast. It wouldn’t take 6 rings for us to become as entitled as Pats fans. When Rex faltered, we called for his head. Been a dog sh*t sundae ever since.

For me the problem with Rex is that he was a lunatic with a specific set of skills.   Once he had the early success, he got power in the organization and giving a lunatic like him that power is catastrophic.  He was able to play the whole "I was being held back because of my attitude" card.  What he needed was a CEO above him that had the power to say no, but would give enough leash in a "Just win baby" manner. 

I think the two AFC Championship runs gave Rex too much power and ****ed him in the long run.  If Rex weren't crazy he would have had his own GM candidate ready to bring in when they sh*tcanned Tannenbaum.  Someone that was reasonable, but he could work with.  I would have, but I am not a lunatic.  Gase did and he is a lunatic.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

On 6/8/2022 at 8:10 PM, McNeil said:

It doesn't make sense the Jets have accumulated so much talent to settle for "meaningful games in December," yada yada. Nor should we as a fan base.

This team on paper should make some noise.

With Burrow & the Bengals doing what they did, there's no reason the Jets can't do a semblance thereof. Hell, the Jets beat the Bengals last year even if it was flukey. In the salary cap, free agent era, crazy turnarounds have been the norm for a select few teams every season. Why not the '22 Jets?

The NFL stands for "Not For Long" in the immortal words of Jerry Glanville. And the Jets time is now to make a move - if Douglas, Saleh, Zach, etc think they are as good as they think they are. Not necessarily to win it all. But by all means, to make the playoffs.

I've been all in with this new regime, unlike many Douglas and Saleh haters who by definition want the Jets to fail. But what comes with being all in is an insistence on results. Playoff mandate.

Team Playoff drought

New York Jets 11 seasons

Denver Broncos 6 seasons

Detroit Lions 5 seasons

Miami Dolphins 5 seasons

New York Giants 5 seasons

Atlanta Falcons 4 seasons

Carolina Panthers 4 seasons

Jacksonville Jaguars 4 seasons

Los Angeles Chargers 3 seasons

This is embarrassing, and there should be a playoff mandate!!!!!! Almost double the second worse drought team .

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Team Playoff drought

New York Jets 11 seasons

Denver Broncos 6 seasons

Detroit Lions 5 seasons

Miami Dolphins 5 seasons

New York Giants 5 seasons

Atlanta Falcons 4 seasons

Carolina Panthers 4 seasons

Jacksonville Jaguars 4 seasons

Los Angeles Chargers 3 seasons

This is embarrassing, and there should be a playoff mandate!!!!!! Almost double the second worse drought team .

knock john belushi GIF by Laff

I want the playoffs and to knock the Bills out of the Wild Card round. Is that too much to ask? We're primed and ready to make a big leap like dem Bengals last season. LFG!

• Upvote 1

On 6/8/2022 at 8:16 PM, DoubleDown said:

At some point, hopes and dreams need to turn into tangible results. The Jets need to start winning games, pure and simple.

With that said, a playoff mandate this season simply isn't being realistic. This is a young team. There are going to be some bumps in the road.

The Young and The Restless ? It’s the youngest team in the league. Correct? Zach Wilson was mediocre in his first year BUT it was expected considering the lowly OL he worked under, and missing multiple games in his rookie season and the multiple injuries suffered by the wr corps that definitely derailed his progress. Add a rookie HC/ OC and you have a recipe for disaster.  BUT Wilson made great strides in 2nd half, so there’s reason he’ll continue to mature. Now the spicy stuff. This offense has been transformed. Three new sparkling TE’s. LaFleuer will now be able to run sets he’s always wanted to. Becton alongside Tomlinson, will fortify the OL providing Zach protection. The WR’s, hopefully will stay healthy. Moore, and Wilson will open things up underneath. Davis is the key IMO. He needs to stay healthy to take pressure off the kiddies. Berrios is Berrios so all upswing there. Mims has been pointing up so that’s encouraging. Then we have what I feel is the key ingredient to this offense, RB Breece Hall. People were screaming NOOOO RB before round 4. I was even influenced by all the screaming. But since JD hit on CB, WR and edge with his first 3 picks, taking a RB in round 2 is forgivable and brilliant since we stole the BEST RB in the draft. Hall will be dynamic in this offense and we haven’t had a RB like this since Freeman McNeil. Add a revamped defense that should get off the field and provide better field position through the game, this offense should flourish. 

But playoffs? The schedule is just BRUTAL. They’d have to sweep Pats and Fins and split with Bills. And even if that’s accomplished, it’s still a huge long shot. But progress, real progress is the hope for this year. 8-9 wins would be a huge achievement.